Why does Late Night Mode default to On for TrueHD on Onkyo AVR's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was listening to the TrueHD track from The Bourne Ultimatum HD DVD. I have an XA2 bitstreaming into an 805 I'm auditioning. Bourne sounded flat and I had the volume up to +3.0db. I noticed that L. Night Mode was set to Auto. When I switched it off I was like wow, the TrueHD track came to life, I had dynamics. My question is why does Onkyo make Late Night Mode default to On when listening to TrueHD. Thanks.

Panasonic 60GT30
Onkyo NR838
Oppo BDP-103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apparently the new Yamaha receivers that can receive bitstream will also default their Dynamic Range Compression to on when a True-HD signal is detected. I still have not figured why that is.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is the only function I don't like about this receiver, how many others beside Onkyo & Yamaha default to this sort of thing. So when you bitstream a lossless track you should disable any dynamic compression, unless you want to listen late at night without cranking the volume

Panasonic 60GT30
Onkyo NR838
Oppo BDP-103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
post #4 of 4 Old 02-27-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think it is something inherit in the Dolby Digital True-HD codec? I believe Dolby actually passes information with the signal so that the receiver can apply the Dynamic range compression more accurately.

In the case of the new Yamaha receivers I believe it has an adaptive DRC mode. This means that it will apply large amounts of DRC at low receiver volume levels. Then it will decrease the level of DRC as you increase the volume of the receiver. Therefore, if you play a movie quietly then it makes everything play at one volume so that you are not “hunting” for an acceptable volume. Then if you want to listen to the original track as it was mastered then all you have to do is turn the volume up. If you reach a certain volume level then the DRC is actually automatically canceled out.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page