yet another "help me choose" thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-01-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sorry to plague these forums with yet another request for people to help choose equipment but all of these receivers are starting to blur together.

Finally got the wife to agree to a full HDTV upgrade for our living room. All of my gear is 8-10 years old so since I'm going to get the new TV, it's also time to switch out the A/V receiver.

For reference, the TV I was leaning toward is the Samsung FP-T5084

As things stand right now, I have an 18 month old toddler. This has required that I put away my small, rear bookcase speakers until I purchase wall/celing mounts for them.

What I currently use for speakers are 2 Bose tower speakers and an Infinity center channel. I don't have the model numbers readily available but if it's vital, I can grab them. I also have a mediocre 8" Infinity sub. It's a pile of crap but it's the least of my current concerns. The wife and I don't watch a ton of movies right now due to the baby sleeping directly above the TV but that will probably be changing in the future.

I don't have a ton of video components right now. All I have is a 360, Series 3 HD TiVo, the new TV and possibly a PS3 (to act as a BR player). I was planning on connecting everything via HDMI.

What I need is a recommendation on an A/V receiver. I've narrowed my list down to:

Onkyo TX-SR705 /Onkyo TX-SR805
Sony STR-DA4300ES
Yamaha V1800 (from reading these forums)
others(?)

I do not yet have a Blu-Ray DVD player as I was one of those asshats that was in the "Wait and see who wins the DVD format war" camp. Since Toshiba is throwing in the towel, I will probably pick up a PS3 in the future.

I am in the process of purchasing my home entertainment center from one of those "Amish" furniture places. The entire piece is going to be custom built so I can resize the cabinets based on the depth of the receiver.

My series of questions (also note that I'm an HDTV noob, so please excuse any blatent mistakes on my part):

1: Do I need to get a receiver that can do HDMI upscaling? If I get a receiver without upscaling what will a generic DVD look like on the new TV?

2: I am concerned about heat from the unit and from the xbox 360 (plus future components?). How much buffer space should I allow for proper heat dissapation? Since I'm getting the entertainment center custom built, I can specify this now and get the receiver to match.

3: I am quasi concerned about scalability with my receiver. I am very aware of my less-than-stellar setup right now, but odds are high that I will be moving in the next 2-4 years and one of my priorites for the new home will be a media room / den / TV pit away from the kid's rooms.

Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-02-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody have any input?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

1- Yes you need to get a receiver that will do upscaling. If you don't your DVD's will look like crap, try feeding and analog cable signal to your tv, thats what it will look like.

2- I usually like to keep atleast and inch on each side of my components if not more as well as leave 2-3 inches above the unit. This is just what I have always done and have never had any problems. Now with my 360 I have it sitting horizontal with a small plastic piece of Tupperware underneath it, this really keeps it from over heating.

3- As far as something you can use in the future you'll need something that decodes HD formats once you get a blu ray player.

Based on the things your looking for I'd go for the Onkyo 805, it has tons of power, will up convert analog to HDMI, and has more features than you'll probably ever use.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-02-2008, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I like the Yamaha myself.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

I'm actually leaning toward both the Yamaha and the Pioneer Kuro now.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post

3- As far as something you can use in the future you'll need something that decodes HD formats once you get a blu ray player.

Several new BD players coming out in the next few months will include on-board decoding for new HD formats, thus having it on your receiver will not necessary. However most new receivers will all have it anyway while most "separates" will not have it, this year anyway.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The wife and I don't watch a ton of movies right now due to the baby sleeping directly above the TV...

Where do you have the center speaker, then?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #8 of 8 Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

Where do you have the center speaker, then?

I have one of the original Sony XBRs from 8 or so years ago. The center channel sits right on top of it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page