Refurbished Denon / Marantz. I'd like to hear your experiences. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Obviously the idea of getting more for less appeals to everyone. Since these are factory refurbished units with warranty, I figured I can buy more for my money.

Anyone have experiences with the quality and reliability of refurbished Denon's and Marantz'. Denon's 90 day warranty kind of worries me. Marantz's refurbs come with a full year warranty but are more difficult to find.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have no experience with those models refurbed, but I do with Harman/Kardon. H/K refurbs purchased direct from H/K come with the same warranty as new models - 2 years. I have used two refurb H/K receivers and never had a problem with them. My brother has used a third for years and again no problems. I highly recommend H/K refurbs. If interested go to harmanaudio.com and look under "specials."

"The truth is out there!"
post #3 of 12 Old 03-05-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'd be wary of the Marantz x001 refurbs. Those models had some issues (some firmware fixable, 1 big solder issue thats not). Marantz is very good about honoring their warranty evidently...even going so far as to send x002 refurb models as replacements according to some on these boards.

I bought new 8002 just to get HDMI1.3 bug fixes and haven't been disappointed.

Good luck.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I can get the H/K 247 new for the same price as the refurb Denon 2308/Marantz 5002.

It's at the top of my list, but the intermittent problems with dropping the center channel and composite voo-doo makes me warry. It is however the only one I can get locally.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM

I have had good luck with Denon refurbs (two receivers and two cd players).
post #6 of 12 Old 03-05-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post

Obviously the idea of getting more for less appeals to everyone. Since these are factory refurbished units with warranty, I figured I can buy more for my money.

Anyone have experiences with the quality and reliability of refurbished Denon's and Marantz'. Denon's 90 day warranty kind of worries me. Marantz's refurbs come with a full year warranty but are more difficult to find.

Thanks.

I've had a Marantz (SR8200, 4-5 years ago) refurb, and the current Onkyo 805 refurb.

Got both of them from www.ac4l.com. Don't know if there's a difference in the refurbs that authorized companies sell, but I can vouch that accessories4less shipped me units that I couldn't tell from new.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #7 of 12 Old 12-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Just in case anyone is wondering, I bought a refurbished sr4001 over a year ago from ubid.com for a steal and have had no problems and it works great using HDMI.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM

Just bought a denon 4311ci from accessories4less. HORRIBLE experience. thing looks all banged up and when i connected it to my 10k speaker system (just using it as a pre pro for audyssey xt32) it made a screetching noise and shut off. now nothing will play. I called accessories4less to tell them it was DOA and they said they are not responsible and to call denon. Denon is telling me to send it in, they will take 3 weeks to fix my DOA bent backplate receiver and then ship it back. I think i will return this to acessories, never buy from them again, and instead buy a marantz from ebay or something. 4311bent.PNG 1184k .PNG file
post #9 of 12 Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1262

I got my 4311 from accessories4less and it has 3 marks on the face. Two small nicks on the right edge and one on the left corner. I used a black marker to mostly hide them and it's hard to see unless you get up close. The face looked like some one took a dirty wet rag and wiped it. There were streaks all over the face. That really surprised me. I used some TV screen cleaner and a micro fiber cloth to clean it up. The manual was obviously used as the corners were bent like some one had thumbed through it and it has a stain on the front cover.. Luckily it works fine. Given Denon's track record as of late on their refurbs I decided to keep it instead of returning it and playing the Russian roulette game with another one that might not work. The price of a new one is out of my reach. Considering the savings and that it works were the key factors. Also XT32 is a marvell.

Denon should call these receivers "damaged goods" instead of refurbished if there is damage to them. Their QC guy is not doing his job or he is following a piss poor QC policy by Denon. They could have installed a new face plate on it and replaced the manual with a new one to make it actually "refurbished".

The Denon refurb receiver warranty is one year, not 90 days. I know this is an old thread but maybe Denon looks at this site once in awhile. I doubt it though.

Denon AVR4311CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #10 of 12 Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM

Liked: 12
DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

I have puchased two refurb units, four months apart, from one of the three main line denon refurb resellers: A4L, Electronics Expo, Dakmart. The 2310 was perfect, the 990 had an intermittent problem-required an HDMI board and NIC. The three resellers don't refurbish the equipment-the OEM does, either internally, or by subcontracting. The reseller doesnot have control over what the OEM sends as "refurbished, refreshed, recertified", whatever. If the units originally were returned for "hard failures"-amps, no power, etc, they are fairly easy to diagnose, and fix, as opposed to "intermittent" electrical audio or video problems-I can testify that these can slip through. Just my opinion also, but "Major" cosmetic defects should be taken care of. I have no statistical evidence, but I would guess that A4L is the most popular Denon refurb reseller-the two units I purchased were NOT from A4L, but one of the other two. Unfortunately, I feel that refurb purchases are still a higher risk proposition.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I would also like to add that I did a review on the accessories4less site and it was never posted. Not sure why they give the option to do it if they don't use it.

Denon AVR4311CI
Some audio history:
post #12 of 12 Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordf250 View Post

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

I have puchased two refurb units, four months apart, from one of the three main line denon refurb resellers: A4L, Electronics Expo, Dakmart. The 2310 was perfect, the 990 had an intermittent problem-required an HDMI board and NIC. The three resellers don't refurbish the equipment-the OEM does, either internally, or by subcontracting. The reseller doesnot have control over what the OEM sends as "refurbished, refreshed, recertified", whatever. If the units originally were returned for "hard failures"-amps, no power, etc, they are fairly easy to diagnose, and fix, as opposed to "intermittent" electrical audio or video problems-I can testify that these can slip through. Just my opinion also, but "Major" cosmetic defects should be taken care of. I have no statistical evidence, but I would guess that A4L is the most popular Denon refurb reseller-the two units I purchased were NOT from A4L, but one of the other two. Unfortunately, I feel that refurb purchases are still a higher risk proposition.

I agree, it's Denon and not the resellers that are responsible for the refurbs. The resellers only sell them.

Denon AVR4311CI
Some audio history:
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page