Old Pioneer VSX-451 Receiver/New Sony TV - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an old Pioneer VSX-451 Receiver (10 years old +/-). Has Dolby Surround Sound. Can I use with New Sony KDL-46W3000 TV. If so how do I hook up with Verizon Fios cable box.

Don't need anything hi tech. Watch lots of Tv and some movies. To busy running around with 3 kids. Listen to music 10% of time. How can I hook this up to my TV???

I do need new speakers and can I use some type of Speaker Bar to keep it simple? Would like to keep all Sony.

Help please. Have TV need to figure out exactly how to hook up. Thank you for helping.

Chip

Chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 AM

It doesn't look like your receiver has any kind of digital (optical or coax) inputs (I'm in the same boat).

If I were you, I would connect everything you have to the TV, then use the TV's audio out jacks to send the sound to the receiver. You should be able to connect the Fios box to your TV via HDMI. (Fry's has bulk cables for $5, or you can order from Monoprice.com. Don't pay $30+ for cables at Best Buy.)

Keep in mind that this will only give you stereo sound, though your receiver will be able to do Pro Logic, which is just okay these days. You won't get full surround sound from HDTV or DVD unless you upgrade to a new receiver.

You sound like a prime candidate for a home theater in a box since you need speakers and a receiver. I have limped along with my old Harman/Kardon from 1999 since it at least has an analog 5.1 surround sound input, but I'm finally having to upgrade.

The Sony HTIBs are easy to use but I have been underwhelmed with their sound. The Onkyos (like the HT-SP908) seem to be the best bang for the buck.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your input. It is very much appreciated.
So let me get this straight. I am a novice at this stuff. I hook up my DVD player to my TV with Componant cables, Use my Audio out to my Receiver (what type of cables needed?)

If I want to hook up Wii system what do I need to hook that up to TV?
What do you think of a speaker bar with subwoofer? Does Onkyo have one.

Thank you,
CHIP

Chip
post #4 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM

If you don't care about surround sound, your old receiver will be fine. Stereo sound from your receiver and even a basic pair of bookshelf speakers will be an order of magnitude better than the TV's built-in speakers.

In effect, what you will be doing is using your TV as a switch box since it has all the modern inputs, then sending the sound from its audio out jack to your receiver (use the VCR1 input or something similar). All you need to send the sound from the TV to the receiver is a regular old RCA cable. That way when you switch the input on the TV you won't have to change anything on the receiver. Just leave it on VCR1 all the time.

You will connect the DVD player to the TV with component, but remember that you will also need to send the DVD player's audio to the TV with another regular RCA cable. (Component inputs have 5 jacks, 3 for video and 2 for audio.)

You'll need to buy a component cable for the Wii. It comes with an old-school composite video cable, but you have to buy the component cable to get widescreen out of it. It will also make everything noticeably sharper. Once you get the component cable you have to go into the Wii's setup menu and tell it to output a widescreen signal. Also change it from 480i to 480p (progressive scan).

The "official" Nintendo component cable is about $30...

......but there a lot of generic ones available for less than $10

I am not a fan of those speaker bars. Too much compromise and no real room for expansion. If you're going to keep this receiver I would just get a set of decent bookshelf speakers and add a subwoofer later if they don't have enough bass for you. These Polk R150s are a great value:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4965491

I don't think your receiver has a subwoofer out jack, so you will have to run its speaker outputs to the subwoofer's high-level inputs, then connect the speakers to the subwoofer's speaker out jacks.

Hope that helps!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 AM

Forgot one thing:

With this setup you will need to go into your TV's menu and disable its internal speakers. That way you can use TV or cable box's volume control and not have to juggle two remotes all the time.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Adrew,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. That really helps.
Chip

Chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors