Official Wyred 4 Sound Amp Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1626 Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello TitanFan,

1. After much thought on this, we have decided to offer a 30 day in-home trial. Due to our low retail to start with, we have to include a 15% restocking fee for those who decide the amplifier is not for them. Also, return shipping would be on the customer as well. If a person is serious about their purchase, the chances of this happening is not very likely. As many of you already know we have several great reviews out that describe the attributes of our amps.

2. The difference between the mono and stereo amps are not drastic. The sonics are VERY similar between the two. The Mono's have the slight advantage due to the upgraded WBT binding posts, Kimber TcX speaker wire, and added chassis isolation.

There is an upgrade option available for $80 per stereo to upgrade the binding post to those used on the monos. After that, the only benefit of the mono's are the lower noise floor, and size (if one would like to place them near the corresponding speaker).

3. The amps do get sweeter over time, and unfortunately this takes some time. The best way that I've heard of accomplishing this is with a "burn-in" cd an a "dummy load". The problem is that the load may be costly and hard to find.

4. The ST-1000 does include a DC trigger and uses the conventional 3.5mm mono headphone type plug.

5. The connection of our amp with a solid-state preamp is also quite satisfactory.

6. Our stock power cable is a 14 AWG, 3 conductor, shielded 6' cable.

7. Our units are offered in all black, and black and silver (silver top, front and side with black front corners)

8. We usually ship amplifiers within 1-2 days from when the order is placed. If the amplifier is in stock, we can ship the same day.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thank you,

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1626 Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ed,

Any update on how the sound quality of the 'mini' version competes with ASX1000 modules? Value is very important to me and if the mini versions offer 95% or more of the sonic performance of the big brother, that would be a compelling amp.

Do you tweak the BO modules in the mini version like you do in the standard model?
post #363 of 1626 Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 PM

EJ,

Thank-you for answering my questions. Just a couple of follow-up questions:

Answer #2 - You state the mono amp uses Kimber TcX speaker wire as an upgrade .vs. the stereo amp. You're referring to internal power supply wiring inside the amp, right? It's interesting that you chose not to use the same wiring in the stereo amp, as I would think common build materials shared between products would simplify things. The binding post upgrades look like a worth while investment.

Answer #3 - What do you mean by "dummy load"? Is the idea to simulate a speaker load on the amp? My thought of connecting my computer to the amp would supply the amp's input, but I guess I forgot to connect the amp's output. Does the amp get any feedback from the speaker that influences the operation of the amp? I never considered the break-in would require a connection to a real live speaker and audible sound output.

I'm working on the wife to get approval for the ST-1000. Maybe an early Christmas present....I'll let you know.
post #364 of 1626 Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 PM

post #365 of 1626 Old 11-19-2008, 05:03 PM

focker,

Thank-you for the information on "dummy loads". Looks like one could construct a dummy load device at a low cost. I do see an opportunity for amp vendors to perform a break-in service for their customers. For example, charge $150 for a 300 hour break-in service. What would be a reasonable cost for a break-in service? Would Wyred be willing to offer such a service?
post #366 of 1626 Old 11-19-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanFan View Post

focker,

Thank-you for the information on "dummy loads". Looks like one could construct a dummy load device at a low cost. I do see an opportunity for amp vendors to perform a break-in service for their customers. For example, charge $150 for a 300 hour break-in service. What would be a reasonable cost for a break-in service? Would Wyred be willing to offer such a service?

Now that you mention it, why doesn't everyone send me their hi performance amps for break-in service and testing.
I can see my ad now... "Now taking Halco, McIntosh, Classe, Levinson, ... amps for 30 day break in"

Scott
post #367 of 1626 Old 11-20-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

Ed,

Any update on how the sound quality of the 'mini' version competes with ASX1000 modules? Value is very important to me and if the mini versions offer 95% or more of the sonic performance of the big brother, that would be a compelling amp.

Do you tweak the BO modules in the mini version like you do in the standard model?

Hi Yngdiego,

Unfortunately, I haven't had any chance to really spend time with it. Our initial listening favored the 500ASP modules in comparison. We didn't tweak the module itself in any way, so that may have something to do with it.

I have a pair of the LS6's from AV123 coming for my own system, if I can ever get Mark to send them, I can start my listening back up.

Thank you,

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #368 of 1626 Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:

EJ,

Thank-you for answering my questions. Just a couple of follow-up questions:

Answer #2 - You state the mono amp uses Kimber TcX speaker wire as an upgrade .vs. the stereo amp. You're referring to internal power supply wiring inside the amp, right? It's interesting that you chose not to use the same wiring in the stereo amp, as I would think common build materials shared between products would simplify things. The binding post upgrades look like a worth while investment.

Answer #3 - What do you mean by "dummy load"? Is the idea to simulate a speaker load on the amp? My thought of connecting my computer to the amp would supply the amp's input, but I guess I forgot to connect the amp's output. Does the amp get any feedback from the speaker that influences the operation of the amp? I never considered the break-in would require a connection to a real live speaker and audible sound output.

I'm working on the wife to get approval for the ST-1000. Maybe an early Christmas present....I'll let you know.

Not a problem.

The wire we use in the mono's cost us much more than the stereos. As some of you may know, the TcX wire along with the silver wire we parallel it with is not very cheap to say the least. Also, we priced the stereo units much more attractively, which really put a damper on the profit margin, so we had to cut certain items out.

By Dummy load, I mean a substitute speaker which is a high power resistor to simulate the speakers' voice coil. Correct, the idea is to simulate a speaker's load on the amplifier. The key is to get the current flowing. Without a load, it would take much longer for break-in. The main reason for the dummy load is so you wouldn't have to listen to the music while it does its' thing for several weeks. Also to keep the relations in order with your wife.

If you succeed, it would be a great way to start the New Year!

Thank you,

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #369 of 1626 Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:

focker,

Well. I guess we would be able to do that if the customer could justify the addition of 2 weeks to the delivery process. I think $150 would be reasonable. We would have to set up some equipment dedicated to this, and run it for 12.5 days straight. Definitely an option for those who would like us to do so.

Thank you,

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #370 of 1626 Old 11-20-2008, 03:57 PM

Liked: 11
hey ej, just wanted to mention something. i have been browsing Emotiva's forums since they started and have always been amazed at their customer service. it's almost never a 'no' answer, it seems like no matter what's asked of them they always try to meet the customer's wishes. never thought i would see that again, but reading your posts....
give yourself a big pat on the back!
post #371 of 1626 Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratso1 View Post

hey ej, just wanted to mention something. i have been browsing Emotiva's forums since they started and have always been amazed at their customer service. it's almost never a 'no' answer, it seems like no matter what's asked of them they always try to meet the customer's wishes. never thought i would see that again, but reading your posts....
give yourself a big pat on the back!

Hi Ratso1,

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I try to accommodate everyone, so I'm glad that it's being noticed. We are here for all of you audiophiles, so I think the focus should be on pleasing the customer, which is what we try to do.

Thank you,

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #372 of 1626 Old 11-22-2008, 02:33 AM

[quote=phastlane;13342548]OK, somebody had to start this!

My first question is who out there is using Wyred 4 Sound MC amps? What do you think of them? Please submit your W4S amp impressions here and let me know what else you have compared it too. Unquote.

Stunning, even after only 10 hours use. I was alerted to ICEpower via my Bel Canto S300iu but felt I needed more power to drive my ATC SCM11's and was looking for a used pair of BC Ref1000's. Thankfully I came across this forum and thought the ST-1000 was an even better option given the real world opinions and not wanting to pay a premium for fancy brushed steel casework, as it turns out I think the ST-1000 is even sexier in the flesh, definitely one for the ladies!

In essence this amp just does everything right, there really is too much to say about it! I am a little confused as to which parts of the 1000ASP modules are 'tweaked or modified, if any, compared with say the BC Ref's, but suffice to say, so far, so very very good.
post #373 of 1626 Old 11-23-2008, 04:58 AM
PAD
AVS Special Member

[quote=ILPS9200;15126594]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phastlane View Post

OK, somebody had to start this!

My first question is who out there is using Wyred 4 Sound MC amps? What do you think of them? Please submit your W4S amp impressions here and let me know what else you have compared it too.

Stunning, even after only 10 hours use. I was alerted to ICEpower via my Bel Canto S300iu but felt I needed more power to drive my ATC SCM11's and was looking for a used pair of BC Ref1000's. Thankfully I came across this forum and thought the ST-1000 was an even better option given the real world opinions and not wanting to pay a premium for fancy brushed steel casework, as it turns out I think the ST-1000 is even sexier in the flesh, definitely one for the ladies!

In essence this amp just does everything right, there really is too much to say about it! I am a little confused as to which parts of the 1000ASP modules are 'tweaked or modified, if any, compared with say the BC Ref's, but suffice to say, so far, so very very good.

SHort story: replaced a Pass Lab X350.5 with a pair of SX1000's. Liked them so much I bought 3 more for the front of my HT setup.
post #374 of 1626 Old 11-23-2008, 05:02 PM

ej, if we wanted to order a stereo amp in black do we call you? no place on the web site to specify it, unless i'm missing it.
post #375 of 1626 Old 11-23-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
[quote=ILPS9200;15126594]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phastlane View Post

OK, somebody had to start this!

My first question is who out there is using Wyred 4 Sound MC amps? What do you think of them? Please submit your W4S amp impressions here and let me know what else you have compared it too. Unquote.

Bel Canto doesn't do anything to the modules themselves.
I bought my first 1000ASP amp about four years ago - from a guy in Denmark he just put them in a DIY case. I was hooked right away. I've now got a PS Audio chassis with 3 X 1000ASP's and 4 X 250ASP's. I've reccomended these to a lot of people and not one person that has bought them has been the least bit dissapointed.
post #376 of 1626 Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratso1 View Post

ej, if we wanted to order a stereo amp in black do we call you? no place on the web site to specify it, unless i'm missing it.

Yes, I will need to change that in the future. You can either purchase what is on the site, or comment the black unit during checkout. You can also follow up with an email to confirm. Sorry about that.

Thank You,

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #377 of 1626 Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
EJ,

Anything new on the Mini MC? Curious on availability and if you will be doing any mods to the modules.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #378 of 1626 Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

EJ,

Anything new on the Mini MC? Curious on availability and if you will be doing any mods to the modules.

Bill

Hi Bill,

We've been informed that our freight forwarder had made a mistake, and they were tracking the incorrect shipment for us. Our modules shipped several days later, and we now expect them during the 1st week of Dec. if everything goes well.

I'm sorry that this is taking much longer than anticipated, but we all know how difficult shipping can be sometimes. The bad part about it is we have to sit back and wait, there's not much we can do at this point. I really wish we could have had them by now, we have a bunch of capital involved with those 426 modules, and I'm anxious to turn them into amplifiers. These are very neat, compact units.

We are still hoping to deliver as many as we can before the end of the year, and don't plan on any mods to the modules at this time.

Thank you,

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #379 of 1626 Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRED 4 SOUND View Post

Hi Bill,

We've been informed that our freight forwarder had made a mistake, and they were tracking the incorrect shipment for us. Our modules shipped several days later, and we now expect them during the 1st week of Dec. if everything goes well.

I'm sorry that this is taking much longer than anticipated, but we all know how difficult shipping can be sometimes. The bad part about it is we have to sit back and wait, there's not much we can do at this point. I really wish we could have had them by now, we have a bunch of capital involved with those 426 modules, and I'm anxious to turn them into amplifiers. These are very neat, compact units.

We are still hoping to deliver as many as we can before the end of the year, and don't plan on any mods to the modules at this time.

Thank you,

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com

EJ,

Thanks for the update. No need to apologize the shipping issue is well out of your control. I think the Mini will be a great amp at a very good price point.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #380 of 1626 Old 11-28-2008, 11:47 AM

Re burn in:
1. Hook up W4S amp(s) to speakers and turn on.
2. Fire up tuner. Play radio all day.
3. Spin favorite tunes.
4. Enjoy.
post #381 of 1626 Old 12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Anyone looking I have a new Wyred for Sound Amp I will be selling. I am keeping my HT Amp, but I have an extra ST-1000 for sale only 2 months old and little use. Have 3 kids so listening to music has taken a back seat for now. PM me if your interested as these Amps sound fantastic! I will be posting it on here as well as Audiogon.
post #382 of 1626 Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Hi

I received my ws4 amp on Tuesday and hooked the amp up Thursday. So far it sounds very good. I was using outlaw monoblocks 200 wpc to drive my ls6's from av123 and also have tried emotiva xpa-5 amp. I find ws4 amp (3x250 front and 4x125 back) is more detailed, able to hear little nuances in songs easier. When I play @ loud levels the amp sounds a little bright,but I only have a few hours on the amp and it should smooth out over time.

The only concern I have is that when I turn on the amp I hear a slight pop from my speakers especially the back ones. This only happens for a split second and I was wondering If anybody else has had this problem. I disconnected all the rca cables from the amp to my 905 w/just the speaker wires still connected and still heard it.

I know some people leave their amp on all the time and I tried that and the top of the amp would give off a little heat, so I rather leave it off when not in use. Any info would be great.

Thanks
post #383 of 1626 Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 PM

Hey EJ, if your out there could you tell me what modules I have for the back surrounds? Is it the asp or asc modules and what are the differences? Also, my situation that we had talked about has improved. Thanks for trying to help.

Michael Aasen
post #384 of 1626 Old 12-06-2008, 12:14 PM
PAD
AVS Special Member

After 24 hours they will start to settle in nicely. I burned mine in as suggested for 300 hours but couldn't tell much difference after the first 60 really.

I have had no popping or hissing from any of the 5 amps I own. Just for giggles, try a cheater plug and see what you get.

They don;t get more than 85 F-ish even when run hard so you COULD leave them on. But I always turn mine off because they are using energy, albeit little, when idle.
post #385 of 1626 Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRED 4 SOUND View Post

There are many sonic differences between our amplifier and the D-SONIC. The main reasons are held within our direct-coupled, balanced, dual FET input stage (input buffer). Not only does this raise the input impedance to 61.9K ohms which allows source equipment to easily and accurately drive the amplifier.

The standard ICE modules which are found in the D-SONIC amplifiers have 8K ohms on the positive input and 10K ohms on the negative input to the ICE amp. So if you’re using RCA’s for instance, your source would be driving an 8,000 ohm load which isn’t really bad, but much harder to drive than 61.9K ohms. The lower impedance your source has to drive, the more you will experience lower volume levels, and slightly higher distortion going into your amplifier. This normally changes the way a preamp can amplify the signal applied, thus giving you less than optimal sound.

Balanced amplifiers (differential, driven from + and – signals) have a much better performance when driven balanced, which ours does. All the parts you will find on our input buffer are of the best quality. We use Dale Rn55D copper leaded resistors, Wima, and MUSE audio grade capacitors, and a thick traced PCB to connect everything. Audio signal doesn’t sound as good through standard magnetic steel leaded resistors, and electrolytic capacitors.

Inside the FETs on all of our input buffers, there is a voltage to current conversion. This is where we get the sweeter sound. The way a FET works is the current that flows from the output (the drain to source current) is controlled by the voltage on the input (the gate). This has a softening effect that complements the slight brightness and edgy sound of the Class D amplifier. It tends to make everything softer, smoother, and accurate. Given that the function of the amplifier, our input stage (buffer) has unity gain (no gain produced), and is ultra transparent.

We also perform modifications to the modules in every amplifier to enhance its’ performance. We bypass critical input coupling caps to allow audio to freely flow through while still allowing for DC protection, and “beef-up” the servo (feedback) circuit for enhanced bottom-end extension. Every module is connected to the binding posts with 14AWG 99.9% OFC high strand pure copper paralleled with 14AWG high strand PURE silver wire.

One of my favorite benefits with this amplifier is the sound stage, and AWSOME imaging. If the imaging is correct, you should be able to listen to your speakers R/L, and not hear each one as being separate. Instead, they should blend together and sound like one, half way between the two. Sound stage depths are also much more prominent. You should be able to hear differences vertically, horizontally, and even depth (front to back). Your speakers would obviously have to be able to produce these as well, but nearly all hi-end loudspeakers should be able to produce such results.

Another option that our amplifier has over ALL the competition is the built in active crossovers. A good read for FYI knowledge would be http://sound.westhost.com/biamp-vs-passive.htm. This would mainly be used for the purpose of using our amplifier in a Bi-amp or Tri-amp set-up, which GREATLY improves sound quality. NO OTHER AMPLIFIER OFFERS THIS FEATURE, to my knowledge.

There many benefits on using our built-in active crossovers from passive crossovers, even on speakers that already have built-in crossovers. Unfortunately, I must post that in another post to keep this one from taking the complete page.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com

EJ, is the direct-coupled, balanced, dual FET input stage part of the multichannel amps design too or just the stereo and monos??

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #386 of 1626 Old 12-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAD View Post

After 24 hours they will start to settle in nicely. I burned mine in as suggested for 300 hours but couldn't tell much difference after the first 60 really.

I have had no popping or hissing from any of the 5 amps I own. Just for giggles, try a cheater plug and see what you get.

They don;t get more than 85 F-ish even when run hard so you COULD leave them on. But I always turn mine off because they are using energy, albeit little, when idle.

Pad

When you mean cheater plug, do you mean a plug without a ground? I never had a problem w/the outlaws when I turn them on.
post #387 of 1626 Old 12-06-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasen7 View Post

Hi

I received my ws4 amp on Tuesday and hooked the amp up Thursday. So far it sounds very good. I was using outlaw monoblocks 200 wpc to drive my ls6's from av123 and also have tried emotiva xpa-5 amp. I find ws4 amp (3x250 front and 4x125 back) is more detailed, able to hear little nuances in songs easier. When I play @ loud levels the amp sounds a little bright,but I only have a few hours on the amp and it should smooth out over time.

The only concern I have is that when I turn on the amp I hear a slight pop from my speakers especially the back ones. This only happens for a split second and I was wondering If anybody else has had this problem. I disconnected all the rca cables from the amp to my 905 w/just the speaker wires still connected and still heard it.

I know some people leave their amp on all the time and I tried that and the top of the amp would give off a little heat, so I rather leave it off when not in use. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Michael.. not speaking for EJ, but when I got my amp, I contacted him about the same issue... his solution to me was to leave it on, as he knew that is what the amps were doing, and wasn't a defect, per se.
post #388 of 1626 Old 12-06-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Michael.. not speaking for EJ, but when I got my amp, I contacted him about the same issue... his solution to me was to leave it on, as he knew that is what the amps were doing, and wasn't a defect, per se.

Hi FilmMixer,

What configuration do you have w/your amp? I hear the slight pop the loudest from the back speakers. The back channels are 4x125 wpc. Not sure if they are asp or asc modules.
post #389 of 1626 Old 12-06-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasen7 View Post

Hi FilmMixer,

What configuration do you have w/your amp? I hear the slight pop the loudest from the back speakers. The back channels are 4x125 wpc. Not sure if they are asp or asc modules.

250 x 3 and 4x125.
post #390 of 1626 Old 12-06-2008, 08:04 PM

Forgive me for being ignorant, but can anyone tell me by leaving your amp on all time, can you damage the crossovers in your speakers in any way.

Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Soundworks Newton Series Mc500 Main Center Speaker Each
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page