Official Wyred 4 Sound Amp Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1634 Old 03-20-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any professional reviews planned for your amps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1634 Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Yes, we are having one set up right now; Unfortunately, these tend to take about 6 weeks for the release of the review.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #93 of 1634 Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

What do you think of the spectron amps?

http://www.spectronav.com/index.htm
post #94 of 1634 Old 03-23-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburk View Post

Are there any professional reviews planned for your amps?

I'm not a professional reviewer, but I've been comparing a Wyred4Sound 4-channel amp with my regular BAT VK500 for the last 10 days and will submit a detailed review here shortly.
post #95 of 1634 Old 03-23-2008, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburk View Post

What do you think of the spectron amps?

http://www.spectronav.com/index.htm

Matt,

Checked out the link, nice looking amps but very expensive. I recently bought a NHT Power 5 and I like it very much. It would be interesting to see a comparison/reviews of the different amps using the ICE power technology and see the differences in SQ.

It seems each company uses different ways to implement the ICE power modules. I would be curious as to the SQ differences between the lower priced amps (like the Power 5) compared to say the Spectron. I would assume that there would be but it would be interesting to see how much of a difference there is.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #96 of 1634 Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odelacroix View Post

I'm not a professional reviewer, but I've been comparing a Wyred4Sound 4-channel amp with my regular BAT VK500 for the last 10 days and will submit a detailed review here shortly.

I look forward to reading your review!

Mike
post #97 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 AM

I have written a rather lengthy review of my experiences with the Wyred4Sound multi channel amp -- too long for here, you can find it at:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df7c5tcg_0ctrptmf6.
post #98 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have written a rather lengthy review of my experiences with the Wyred4Sound multi channel amp -- too long for here, you can find it at:

Nice writeup, sounds like there wasn't enough of a disctinct difference and you're sticking with the BAT for the time being.
post #99 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

We need someone to do the ultimate amp shoot out. Top contenders from old tec (bat, plinius, ead) vrs the new wyred, spectron.
post #100 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Spectron has been around quite a while. Are you guys sure they use ICE?
post #101 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Oscar,

Interesting writeup, but I can't help but think that the same differences you heard would likely exist between the W4S and any number of tube amps.

Noah
post #102 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some reviewers I've read feel the 1000ASP (500w) module has a more refined top end than the other modules - have you tried reversing the modules or running either of them without bi-amping? And/or using the 500w for the top end and BAT for the bottom end?
post #103 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can someone be kind enough to post this doc as a PDF or zip file? My fantastic web filter at work is blocking the direct link.
post #104 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Excellent review and a good read. I appreciate you sharing your experience with the BAT and the Wyred unit.

Mike
post #105 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Oscar,

Interesting writeup, but I can't help but think that the same differences you heard would likely exist between the W4S and any number of tube amps.

Hi Noah

I probably need to edit the review to be clear - the BAT VK500 is not a tube amp, it's a 250w per channel, dual mono design, pure solid state powerhouse.
post #106 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTC View Post

Can someone be kind enough to post this doc as a PDF or zip file? My fantastic web filter at work is blocking the direct link.

Hi, not sure how to attach a PDF file here but I'll try to send you a copy directly.
post #107 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Some reviewers I've read feel the 1000ASP (500w) module has a more refined top end than the other modules - have you tried reversing the modules or running either of them without bi-amping? And/or using the 500w for the top end and BAT for the bottom end?

Hi there -- I did run the Wyred for the most part on its own, I only biamped at the very end to cover all bases. Yet, clearly, I missed one and will try running the 500w channels as you suggest on the top. I did biamp with the BAT on the top with 500w on the bottom and the BAT on the bottom but with only the 125w of Wyred on top. Before I return the amp, I'll try this and let you know. And did you also mean to try just the Wyred as the amp but with the 500w on top and 125w on the bass? For good measure, let me try this too.

Right now, I still feel, the 500w on the bottom with the BAT VK500 on the top is just a great combination, but you need to think two large boxes and a spare pair of channels, so it's hardly an economic solution. I do think a pair of the 500w monos on the bass with something else on top, perhaps a smaller BAT VK200, might be just the best solution.

Let me just say for the record - EJ has been fantastic to work with on this. I've dealt with lots of hi-end companies, and most are very good and very customer oriented, but EJ, as the Wyred point man, is just in another league.

Best

O
post #108 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Nice writeup. I am in agreement. I have speakers on the warm side of neutral (Rocket 850's), an AR LS-3, preamp and a Jolida JD-100 CDP. This combo works well, with the CDP warming up the front end a bit and the W4S providing good detail. The amp is very responsive to tube changes.
post #109 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 166
" the BAT VK500 is not a tube amp, it's a 250w per channel, dual mono design, pure solid state powerhouse."

Thanks for the correction; that makes the comparison a lot more interesting.

Noah
post #110 of 1634 Old 03-25-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi there -- I did run the Wyred for the most part on its own, I only biamped at the very end to cover all bases. Yet, clearly, I missed one and will try running the 500w channels as you suggest on the top. I did biamp with the BAT on the top with 500w on the bottom and the BAT on the bottom but with only the 125w of Wyred on top. Before I return the amp, I'll try this and let you know. And did you also mean to try just the Wyred as the amp but with the 500w on top and 125w on the bass? For good measure, let me try this too.

Right now, I still feel, the 500w on the bottom with the BAT VK500 on the top is just a great combination, but you need to think two large boxes and a spare pair of channels, so it's hardly an economic solution. I do think a pair of the 500w monos on the bass with something else on top, perhaps a smaller BAT VK200, might be just the best solution.

Let me just say for the record - EJ has been fantastic to work with on this. I've dealt with lots of hi-end companies, and most are very good and very customer oriented, but EJ, as the Wyred point man, is just in another league.

Best

O

Heck since you've got the toys and the time why not try everything?

Did you actually notice a difference between bi-amping with both modules and just running one 500w?
post #111 of 1634 Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Matt,

Checked out the link, nice looking amps but very expensive. I recently bought a NHT Power 5 and I like it very much. It would be interesting to see a comparison/reviews of the different amps using the ICE power technology and see the differences in SQ.

It seems each company uses different ways to implement the ICE power modules. I would be curious as to the SQ differences between the lower priced amps (like the Power 5) compared to say the Spectron. I would assume that there would be but it would be interesting to see how much of a difference there is.

Bill

FYI: It seems as if the Spectron amplifiers do not use ICE power. It seems as if they use their own design on Class D. Note the LARGE torroid in the middle of the chassis. These aren't needed in an ICE power amplifier. The specs are dramatically different compared to an ICE amp.

EJ
post #112 of 1634 Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRED 4 SOUND View Post

FYI: It seems as if the Spectron amplifiers do not use ICE power. It seems as if they use their own design on Class D. Note the LARGE torroid in the middle of the chassis. These aren't needed in an ICE power amplifier. The specs are dramatically different compared to an ICE amp.

EJ

I agree the specs look different than the available ICE modules.

That said, there are ICE modules that do not have their own power supply.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #113 of 1634 Old 03-27-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I agree the specs look different than the available ICE modules.

That said, there are ICE modules that do not have their own power supply.

Could be, but the modules without supplies would also have much better THD and damping factor specs. The 92% efficiency would be impossible with a linear supply as well.

EJ
post #114 of 1634 Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM

What are everyone's thoughts on a passive preamp? Should we make a typical preamp with the passive function (selectable by switch or in a setup menu) that only attenuates? What about a built-in DAC, would that make it more attractive?

All input is appreciated.

Thank you,
EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #115 of 1634 Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:

What are everyone's thoughts on a passive preamp? Should we make a typical preamp with the passive function (selectable by switch or in a setup menu) that only attenuates? What about a built-in DAC, would that make it more attractive?

Thank you,
EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com

If you're talking about the MC amp, I'm not sure the home theater folks want (need?) the preamp. For the monoblocks, I dunno. I have a decent tubed CDP that I will someday probably upgrade and assume it will have a good DAC. But I reckon the iPod/server folks might dig a DAC. Seems to be the happening thing. The DAC might price it out of the grasp of some?

I've only just gotten into separates. The AR LS-3 seems very transparent; I don't see a need to replace it at this time, though I'd like to try balanced outputs. I can't speak to the passive vs. active controversy, though there are two camps there, so a selectable option would be cool.

One might assume that those buying the monoblocks already have a pre. What would entice them to upgrade? HT bypass would be nice. If the pre and the amp have a special "married in design" synergy, that might sell the idea.

I wonder how the monoblocks are selling vs. the MC?
post #116 of 1634 Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJack View Post

If you're talking about the MC amp, I'm not sure the home theater folks want (need?) the preamp. For the monoblocks, I dunno. I have a decent tubed CDP that I will someday probably upgrade and assume it will have a good DAC. But I reckon the iPod/server folks might dig a DAC. Seems to be the happening thing. The DAC might price it out of the grasp of some?

I've only just gotten into separates. The AR LS-3 seems very transparent; I don't see a need to replace it at this time, though I'd like to try balanced outputs. I can't speak to the passive vs. active controversy, though there are two camps there, so a selectable option would be cool.

One might assume that those buying the monoblocks already have a pre. What would entice them to upgrade? HT bypass would be nice. If the pre and the amp have a special "married in design" synergy, that might sell the idea.

I wonder how the monoblocks are selling vs. the MC?

For the MC type, we have a HTPC on the agenda to be used as a Blu-Ray player, transport, music server, video server, etc. This will also have DTS decoding, HD video outputs, and an audiophile DAC. This would also allow internet connection for browsing/downloading from a TV set.

The whole idea of a passive preamp is for situations where you don't need "extra" gain. The passive type has minimal components in the path yielding much better transparency, and SQ. The whole idea for our own pre-amp is to make it better than others. Not to mention all the inquiries on them.

Surprisingly, both products (mono's and MC's) are selling really well. We are practically sold out of the monos (twice as fast as planned), and have new production/design in process.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #117 of 1634 Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the MC type, we have a HTPC on the agenda to be used as a Blu-Ray player, transport, music server, video server, etc. This will also have DTS decoding, HD video outputs, and an audiophile DAC. This would also allow internet connection for browsing/downloading from a TV set.

I'll only get a HTPC for BD playing if it can support HDMI 1.3, bitstream all audio formats with a repeater, provide seamless integration with Media Center, and have highly accurate color output. Until then, I'll take a standalone player any day. I also want BD playback from the HD/ISO image.

From my understanding, there is no video card currently available that provides these features.
post #118 of 1634 Old 03-27-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:

What are everyone’s thoughts on a passive preamp? Should we make a typical preamp with the passive function (selectable by switch or in a setup menu) that only attenuates? What about a built-in DAC, would that make it more attractive?

Thank you,
EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com

It needs 4 things. Ht bypass, SQ like never before, reasonable cost,
look great
what it doesnt need. That round night light. you know....the one that
lights up the room when the amp is in standbye

I like simple so I ask you all........Is this to much to ask for?
post #119 of 1634 Old 03-28-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybasil View Post

It needs 4 things. Ht bypass, SQ like never before, reasonable cost,
look great
what it doesnt need. That round night light. you know....the one that
lights up the room when the amp is in standbye

I like simple so I ask you all........Is this to much to ask for?

That's not too much to ask for. Notes taken.

BTW: We have corrected the "nightlight" to be VERY dim when in stand-by. There is 1 resistor you could clip out if you would like to eliminate that feature, and feel up to it.

We plan to have a HT bypass for sure.

Thank You,

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #120 of 1634 Old 03-28-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Surprisingly, both products (mono's and MC's) are selling really well. We are practically sold out of the monos (twice as fast as planned), and have new production/design in process.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com

Coolio! New design 500-watt monoblocks could be in my future if there is a decent trade in program.
I wonder what might be improved in the amp that wouldn't bump up the price too substantially? Keep innovating!!!!!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Soundworks Newton Series Mc500 Main Center Speaker Each
Gear in this thread - Mc500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page