Official Wyred 4 Sound Amp Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1606 Old 07-27-2008, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know the feeling about returns. I hate to do them so I'm very slow to buy until I'm convinced. I noticed I could get the Bel Canto for about the same as the Wyred, used of course, but I've heared the Bel Cantos. Has anyone compared the Wyred to the Bel Cantos?

ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1606 Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 AM

^^^
If I'm not mistaken, Sixmoons did a review on the Bel Cantos and are finishing the review of the Wyred amplifiers, perhaps they will compare the two amplifiers in their review?

Mike
post #183 of 1606 Old 07-28-2008, 05:02 PM

I live in Australia and after a fair bit of research ordered a Wyred4Sound 7 x 500W, which EJ organised a factory conversion to our 240V for me. The amp was ordered on Tuesday and made that week and shipped Friday (great service). Firstly, the build quality is really impressive with lots of little nice details. The amp looks much better in the flesh than the pictures suggest and the back panel has very high quality connectors.

The amp itself is simply amazing… I am pretty familiar with some high end amps, including several ICEPower amps, and whatever the medications the Rick Cullen and the team have done( things like silver wiring and high quality capacitors and resistors) they have put this up with the best ICEPower I have heard, and better than most. To my ears, it’s every bit as good (and possibly a little sweeter in the treble) as the Bel-Canto 1000, or Rotel RB-1091 mono-blocks and better than the Jeff Rowland (don’t like their too smooth treble, which is a house sound they have).

I won’t get into the ICEPower versus Analogue debate, but for me ICEpower beats all but the most esoteric traditional amps and I love the control and dynamics from the massive power. I’m not a bigot on this – I really appreciate for example the silky detail and shear presence of Classe, or the amazing bass of Krell, or the living music from an Audio Research Valve amp. And in pure stereo, there are amps with better imaging than the Wyreds (we are talking subtle differences though). But for my money (and especially for 7 channels), these amps are (to my ears) unbeatable without spending at least double the cost.

I could not imagine a better sounding home theatre amplifier and it’s right up there with some esteemed stereo amps in quality (like the Classe) for my ears. Extremely tight bass and the midrange is very transparent and detailed. And the reserved of power are just amazing. Total control over the speakers.

There – now I feel better ;-)
post #184 of 1606 Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 AM

Hello Everyone,

Just an update on the reviews:

There is one released on the Multi-channel in the latest Hi-Fi news magazine on page 83-85.
Another coming out within several days with Ultimate AV magazine.
And 2 more in process, with a few more online magazines

Like some mention, the SX-1000's with 6-moons to be released shortly.

Also, the new stereo amplifiers are now shipping and will be posted on the website soon.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #185 of 1606 Old 08-01-2008, 02:26 PM
cdj

Just a heads up. The Ultimate AV review is up now.
Very positive review, although not as detailed as I expect the 6Moons review will be.
post #186 of 1606 Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Here is the link at UAV for all concerned:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/amplifi...red/index.html

This is a phenomenal product IMO.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #187 of 1606 Old 08-12-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone gone from (listened to) a parasound halo amp to these wyred4sound amps and noticed a big sound improvement? I have a parasound halo A21 amp and noticed a huge difference in sound quality and was wondering if these Wyred 4 Sound amps would be even better? Id hate to sell this Parasound amp to find out that I lost in sound quality from the W4S Amps

Any thoughts is much appreciated
Thanx Chris

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
post #188 of 1606 Old 08-15-2008, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

im going to be purchasing the wyred 4 sound multli channel amp with in the next couple weeks. Ill be getting a 500 x 3 , 250 x 2 amp. I can not wait to hear this amp. Im very excited and hope ill be impressed. I truely hope its better than my parasound units.

post #189 of 1606 Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM

Another product is added to the product line!

Installed in the Stereo size chassis comes the Mini MC. With 216W x 7ch, this amp should fit the needs for many looking for a compact and powerful 7ch amp. Our proto-type is complete and functioning like production units will, however, the official release isn't expected until sometime in early September.

sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
LL
LL
post #190 of 1606 Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
nice...

i don't suppose a 5-channel of version of this might be planned as well? kinda like the "little brother" model? same wattage per channel, of course...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #191 of 1606 Old 08-15-2008, 11:03 AM

It's very possible.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #192 of 1606 Old 08-15-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

EJ...what's the power into 4 ohms? 432wpc?

David Vaughn

post #193 of 1606 Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM

Hello David,

It will put out 400Wpc in 4 ohms. With high line voltages, it will do 432W, but the rail voltage starts to limit the power right at 400W with a 115V line.

It's also 86% efficient at full output in 8 ohms.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #194 of 1606 Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks EJ...that's pretty damn impressive. I'm still in awe of the W4S amp that I reviewed!

David Vaughn

post #195 of 1606 Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRED 4 SOUND View Post

Hello David,

It will put out 400Wpc in 4 ohms. With high line voltages, it will do 432W, but the rail voltage starts to limit the power right at 400W with a 115V line.

It's also 86% efficient at full output in 8 ohms.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com

What will it put at 2ohms?
post #196 of 1606 Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave Vaughn:

My question is what sets apart an amp like Wyred 4 sound from similar technology amps like Bel Canto, D Sonic, etc? It seems that there are several amps that are based on the same technology that are getting quite good press and I'm in the market for an amplifer for my home theater use.

The amp I've been able to read the most about is Bel Canto. but it seems every day, I'm finding out about a new amp based on the same technology that is supposed to sound as good if not better and it's hard to keep track and figure out what makes these amps so good and what makes them sound different from each other if they do.

Thanks!
post #197 of 1606 Old 08-16-2008, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Thanks EJ...that's pretty damn impressive. I'm still in awe of the W4S amp that I reviewed!

Dave , i read your review and was very impressed myself. Do you think that if you compared the W4S amp to an Anthem statement with the same or more power that they would have been more equal in sound transparency , etc... How does a W4S compare to a parasound halo 250 watt amp? A good name amp with the same power.

post #198 of 1606 Old 08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Right now, I have a Pioneer SC-09TXH in for review (finishing the review this morning), which is also has ICE Power amps. Comparing it with the W4S, the W4S has the edge. It has a bit more punch (although it does have more power, so maybe that's the differnce 250 vs. 200 into 8ohms), but it also sounds a tad more refined (very slight). Frankly, unless I had all of the other amps hooked up at the same time to the same types of speakers, it would be very difficult to pick one over another. ICE Power is really onto something amazing.

As for comparing to a Statement or Parasound of similar power, there are certain benefits to the W4S...first, it doesn't get nearly as hot because of its efficiency, it saves energy because of its Class D design, and it may cost a bit less (haven't checked that out yet).

David Vaughn

post #199 of 1606 Old 08-16-2008, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Everything else in my rack is almost all black, so I'm trying to avoid silver.

Also, I see that you are touting new versions of the SX1000 amps. Will there be changes to the multi-channel amps in the near future as well?
post #200 of 1606 Old 08-16-2008, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

Right now, I have a Pioneer SC-09TXH in for review (finishing the review this morning), which is also has ICE Power amps.

As an SC-09 owner, really looking forward to your review, Dave.

I can say that in researching class D amps & Ice amps in particular, I read a lot of forums & went to quite a few mfgs sites for info. This includes Wyred4Sound's amps. It was reviews & praises of these amps that helped give me the confidence that Pioneer was "on to something " in using Icepower before I pre-ordered my SC-09.

So even tho this does not pertain to W4S amps specifically, I can say that I've been impressed with Ice amps so far.

ss9001

Steve
post #201 of 1606 Old 08-16-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I talked to a friend today about analog digital switching amps , and he said to be careful that i dont place my source electronics near the amps because they emit alot of interferance. Is that true? Im unable to find anything bad about these amps. Is there any cons to this amp design?

thanx Chris

post #202 of 1606 Old 08-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

I talked to a friend today about analog digital switching amps , and he said to be careful that i dont place my source electronics near the amps because they emit alot of interferance. Is that true? Im unable to find anything bad about these amps. Is there any cons to this amp design?

thanx Chris

Hello Chris,

The standard ICE power engine has hefty suppression built in, and our amp has even more that we added to eliminate this. I can't see any issue with EMI problems caused by the proximity to source equipment.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #203 of 1606 Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Chris,

I haven't noticed any adverse affects either.

David Vaughn

post #204 of 1606 Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

As an SC-09 owner, really looking forward to your review, Dave.

I can say that in researching class D amps & Ice amps in particular, I read a lot of forums & went to quite a few mfgs sites for info. This includes Wyred4Sound's amps. It was reviews & praises of these amps that helped give me the confidence that Pioneer was "on to something " in using Icepower before I pre-ordered my SC-09.

So even tho this does not pertain to W4S amps specifically, I can say that I've been impressed with Ice amps so far.

ss9001

My review was submitted today...if all goes well, it should be posted at UAV sometime next week.

David Vaughn

post #205 of 1606 Old 08-17-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

Everything else in my rack is almost all black, so I'm trying to avoid silver.

Also, I see that you are touting new versions of the SX1000 amps. Will there be changes to the multi-channel amps in the near future as well?

We do offer all black chassis on request and have accommodated several customers in the past. If this is a continued wish of customers we will have that as an option as well. The SX-1000's are already being produced in the new versions, and we don't currently have any plans to change them or the Multi-channel amps in the near future. Instead, we're designing more products such as a DAC, pre-amp, and both in one chassis.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #206 of 1606 Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRED 4 SOUND View Post

We do offer all black chassis on request and have accommodated several customers in the past. If this is a continued wish of customers we will have that as an option as well. The SX-1000’s are already being produced in the new versions, and we don’t currently have any plans to change them or the Multi-channel amps in the near future. Instead, we’re designing more products such as a DAC, pre-amp, and both in one chassis.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com

The mulichannel amps would look sooooo good if half the chassis was flat black , and the part that was silver was changed to gloss black. That would be a work of art!!!!!!

post #207 of 1606 Old 08-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:

The mulichannel amps would look sooooo good if half the chassis was flat black , and the part that was silver was changed to gloss black. That would be a work of art!!!!!!

Not a bad idea! We were thinking of an all black version, and I'll have to give this a try.

Also, I will try to get some pics of the black mono and stereo amps posted soon.

Thank you for your input.

EJ Sarmento
sales@wyred4sound.com
www.wyred4sound.com
post #208 of 1606 Old 08-17-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sounds pretty good. The only problem with gloss black is fingerprints. The Pioneer Elite I'm reviewing right now looks like the glass partition at Cold Stone after a 5 year olds birthday party.

David Vaughn

post #209 of 1606 Old 08-17-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sounds pretty good. The only problem with gloss black is fingerprints. The Pioneer Elite I'm reviewing right now looks like the glass partition at Cold Stone after a 5 year olds birthday party.

Nothing , some windex on a cloth cant solve.

post #210 of 1606 Old 08-17-2008, 03:56 PM

I've just taken a leap of faith and ordered a ST-1000. Looking forward to hearing how this amp performs in my system.

My system is a combined 2ch/ HT setup and is still using a 7ch A/B amp for the centre and surrounds, the ST-1000 is for the mains. It'll be interesting how it mates with my Moon P5 pre.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Cambridge Soundworks Newton Series Mc500 Main Center Speaker Each
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page