Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 584 Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I have read your posts. When I listened to my speakers in the store before purchasing them, I heard them with all NAD stuff and they didnt have the harshness either. They also had another amp just for reference, and that amp didnt have it either. Maybe it just isnt the best pairing with my speakers, or like i said, maybe it is my pre/pro. But im not the only one that has noticed this, and gallo reference 3.1's are supposed to sound very "warm". I am not trying to put the power5 down, I like everything about it except the high end harshness, (which may or may not be the amp)and it is a very good price for a 5 channel amp with the amount of power it has. I think I may either demo another amp (maybe an anthem a2), or demo another pre/pro (integra 9.8), to see where the problem lies before making my decision. I also have a terrible room for sound...it is long and norrow with many openings on one side wall leading to another large room, and no room treatments....

Besides the dealers room ..Have you listened to your speakers with any other amps beside the Carver and Power5 in your listening room ? ... Maybe your dealer would be nice enough to let you borrow for a week or so, the NAD you heard in his room ...and then you'd have somewhat more information as to if its the amp or your room or your associated equipment causing the harshness you hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 584 Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Alex,

With your proceed, did you notice anything in regards to the high frequency material versus the power5? At moderate to higher volumes, the 2 do sound different to me and I am not sure which one is more accurate(true to the source).

My speakers are ascend acoustic sierras which are very accurate & neutral to begin with(which I do like BTW)

Any recomendations on how to determine what amps more true or which ones over or under emphasizing certain frequencies?

I will be doing more comparing over the next few days but I would like to come to a conclusion shortly so that I can recover the money for which ever one I choose to sell/return.

Brandon
post #453 of 584 Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnh View Post

The standby draw is about 25W.

That adds up to consuming 219 kWh per year just to have it "off".

At $0.18 per kWh thats about $40/year or $400 in 10 years.

No experience with other power amps and I'm guessing that's a pretty good figure in comparison. Even so, my power5 is going on a triggered power strip to bring off power close to zero.

Another way of viewing this is that if you have 10 such devices that is $400 per year.

I am curious as to what triggered power strips you use.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #454 of 584 Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Alex,

With your proceed, did you notice anything in regards to the high frequency material versus the power5? At moderate to higher volumes, the 2 do sound different to me and I am not sure which one is more accurate(true to the source).

My speakers are ascend acoustic sierras which are very accurate & neutral to begin with(which I do like BTW)

Any recomendations on how to determine what amps more true or which ones over or under emphasizing certain frequencies?

I will be doing more comparing over the next few days but I would like to come to a conclusion shortly so that I can recover the money for which ever one I choose to sell/return.

Brandon

Brandon,

I prefer the Proceed with the Revelsat low to medium volume. While the sound is still a bit bright it seems to be a bit less with the Proceed. I cannot push the volume any higher than 68 (reference being 82 in absolute value on my Onkyo 805) especially on high frequency material whether I use the Proceed or the Power5. If I go any higher, the sound becomes too bright and it will start to sound harsh. The Ascend are described as accurate speakers just as the Revels are. I had the 340 once and they lasted only 20 days in my system. So you see, is seems like I do not like accurate speakers. I like warm speakers. Warm means, at least to me, a very musical speaker that have tube like sound, not harsh and yet detailed, with musical bass and smooth midrange and delicate high end. I get all these with the Polk Lsi9 and Power5. One thing I love about the Power5 is the ability to play louder without any listener fatigue at all. With my Mirage and Polk Lsi9, the Power5 begs to be pushed. Both speaker sound very good as I push the volume higher and higher. The Revels are world class speakers that are as accurate as they come, at least so I have been told and read review after reviews both pro and individual that confirms this. So I want to give them some time and see if I can get used to their brutal accuracy. I am also would like to try out the NHT M6 and swap my Onkyo for NAD. But all that is going to be a tough sell for my wife unless I return either the Power5 or the Revels.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #455 of 584 Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

So maybe being that the ascends are so accurate to begin with, maybe the proceed is a better match to my speakers. I dont think its that the proceed is "warm" compared to the NHT, I really feel the top end(high freq.) is more refined and less harsh than the power5. I am fairly certain its not the recordings being I have demoed some pretty solid and well respected music. The Ascend sierrras are certainly not harsh either, in fact they are less "harsh" than the 340's were. I know because I have owned the 340's, 340SE's and now the sierras.

I do enjoy the power5's ability to play extremely loud & clean, an excellent quality for home theater useage, but maybe not critical 2 ch listening? I am still on the fence.

I will listen some more tonight and make more observations.

Brandon
post #456 of 584 Old 04-15-2008, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Brandon;
Did you get a chance to evaluate the amp further. I'm interested as an Ascend owner to read your feedback.
Cheers..

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: D-sonic Magnum 7-3500
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #457 of 584 Old 04-15-2008, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey sam,

Glad to hear from another ascend owner
I did spend more time with both amps tonight and still feel that the proceed is a bit more refined in the higher frequencies. I struggle to put my findings into words, but the NHT is so neutral almost sterile across the board. I do enjoy cranking the NHT up & it definetly plays louder than the proceed, but how often does one listen at or above ref. levels for very long(I know I dont much).

I really focused on the high pitched sounds from a Brazillian jazz DVD audio disc tonight. The different instruments sounded more realistic (to me) as if they were in my room. The NHT on the same tracks felt like a recording, not that live experience you get when you hear a live band. The guitar plucking & different cymbals that I heard sounded closer to the real thing on the proceed if this makes sense.

I know I had mentioned the NHT sounding a bit harsh, but I cannot describe it any better than just saying the high end on the proceed sounds more true to the source.

Bill M.(other proceed owner), and I have talked about some things recently too. I truly believe both amps are excellent and it all comes down to personal preference, equipment used, and your room.

I will post more thought as I continue.........

Brandon
post #458 of 584 Old 04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
lnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Another way of viewing this is that if you have 10 such devices that is $400 per year.

I am curious as to what triggered power strips you use.

I'm using a BITS Smart Strip Power Strip. It looks for power draw one device that's plugged into the strip, and then automatically switches power on/off to other slave outlets on the strip. May eventually move some of this stuff over to z-wave based power adapters if I ever get my act together and retrofit some lighting in my house over to Leviton ViziaRF (z-wave based). Some of the universal remotes from Logitech/Monster speak z-wave so it would make for good home theater integration.

I see another solution has recently come out from: http://www.byebyestandby.co.uk/USA.html
post #459 of 584 Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnh View Post

I'm using a BITS Smart Strip Power Strip. It looks for power draw one device that's plugged into the strip, and then automatically switches power on/off to other slave outlets on the strip. May eventually move some of this stuff over to z-wave based power adapters if I ever get my act together and retrofit some lighting in my house over to Leviton ViziaRF (z-wave based). Some of the universal remotes from Logitech/Monster speak z-wave so it would make for good home theater integration.

I see another solution has recently come out from: http://www.byebyestandby.co.uk/USA.html

Thanks - I was considering the Smart Power Strip, now I think I'll order one to try out.

post #460 of 584 Old 05-13-2008, 05:35 AM

Sorry to see this thread expiring, I've enjoyed it very much and it was instrumental in my purchase of the power5 & power2 amps which I am very
happy with. Thought I would weigh in on the harshness issue, which I assume
to mean bright and/or strident in the high-end. These amps replaced Musical
Fidelity M250s for the LR channels and the internal amps in my Sony ES3000 receiver for the center and surrounds. Running Martin Logan sl3s LR and five
Martin Logan Frescos for center and surrounds. My initial impression of the
Nht amps vs. the Musical Fidelitys was of a much leaner and more detailed
midrange and high-end with less overall bass output; a few days listening
convinced me that the Nhts were more accurate and neutral with an excellent
tonal balance, the Musical Fidelitys were were flabby and warm by comparison. I have always found some SACDs to be exceedingly bright and
difficult to listen to at higher volumes (Dylan remasters among others) and
the Nht amps helped reduce listening fatigue a little with the improved detail
and tonal balance but still not enough. I had my Sony DVP-NC555es modified
by Matt Anker, and after break-in it was a huge improvement especially in
taming the high-end harshness and expanding the soundstage. But the real
breakthrough came when I changed the power cable on the Sony NC555es
from a PS Audio Power Punch to a Tributaries Silver and everything fell into
place. I know! It sounds like voodoo but it worked for me. If I have a point to
make I guess it's that the power5 is what it is and that's relentlessly neutral
and brutally accurate. For me the harshness was not a question of speaker
matching but of finding a synergistic chain of components to feed the power5
and the Martin Logans. Now I listen to music at a volume that was unthinkable before; the power5 and power2 are effortless and clean beyond
my expectations. No one escapes my house without listening to Depeche Mode's Violator (import SACD) at levels that would have been painful with
my old amps and Bobby D never sounded better; I have to resist the urge
to keep turning up the volume.
post #461 of 584 Old 05-13-2008, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockets63 View Post

I have to resist the urge
to keep turning up the volume.

Why? I would never think of trying to resist. It isn't going to make you fat or give you high cholesterol or a disease. It's one of the few guiltless pleasures a person can have.

post #462 of 584 Old 05-22-2008, 01:10 PM

Just added one of these to my system with an Onkyo 705 as processor. Initially I thought the 705 amplifier stage would at least compare favorably, but they are not in the same zip code. It is tremendously smoother and cleaner.

It's too bad NHT is apparently out of the component business as it may keep people away from this incredible performer.
post #463 of 584 Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM

I'm considering selling my (opened but never used) Power5, in case anyone is interested!

Justin
post #464 of 584 Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 AM

Liked: 13
Thanks Justin for the offer. I should have read this thread before placing an order with ListenUp. They have them in stock. Maybe 3 units or so.

Edgar
post #465 of 584 Old 06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportz View Post

I'm considering selling my (opened but never used) Power5, in case anyone is interested!

Justin

Still for sale?

CD

Reality Based.
post #466 of 584 Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

Still for sale?

CD

If it is, you can't beat it for the price!
post #467 of 584 Old 06-27-2008, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am practically giving away an NHT controller at a grand. If anyone is interested let me know. Out of the box, used maybe three times, works great and includes update version 1.59. Have all original packaging, manuals, etc. I will be losing my butt on this one but I have just purchased another pre/pro (INtegra 9.8).

If anyone wants a great deal on a fine product, give me a shout.

Jason
post #468 of 584 Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 PM

Liked: 12
only Refurbished units left now.....

I received my and one of the feet pad is missing, but they sending out an replacement quick.
Will be use it for 3 front M5's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaritano View Post

Thanks Justin for the offer. I should have read this thread before placing an order with ListenUp. They have them in stock. Maybe 3 units or so.

I see the atoms free and fine,

That bubble like a sparkling wine;
I see the songs Electrons sing,
Jumping from ring to outer ring;
              - Lister, The Physicist
post #469 of 584 Old 07-25-2008, 04:18 PM

Liked: 13
anyone ever pop the top on one of these? Any of the normal modifications that would be worthwhile on these?
post #470 of 584 Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

anyone ever pop the top on one of these? Any of the normal modifications that would be worthwhile on these?

Other inquiring minds would like to know as well!

Also curious now that folks have had some time with these units, are they still loved and adored? Any of the harshness...listener fatigue that one person mentioned?
post #471 of 584 Old 07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Theres no harshness only accuracy. I have a power 2 and 5.

Larry

Join Electronic Freedom Foundation
http://www.eff.org/
post #472 of 584 Old 07-31-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterman View Post

Also curious now that folks have had some time with these units, are they still loved and adored? Any of the harshness...listener fatigue that one person mentioned?

I love mine.
post #473 of 584 Old 07-31-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellk View Post

I love mine.

+1

post #474 of 584 Old 07-31-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellk View Post

I love mine.

Me too....

Ken
post #475 of 584 Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterman View Post

GREAT AMPS! I have the Power5 & Power2 driving Martin Logans. Not at all harsh or bright; just detailed accurate sound and tremendous bass control. No listening fatigue with movies or music even at reference levels.
post #476 of 584 Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The Power2 is now down to $499 at ListenUp, which is incredible.
post #477 of 584 Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anybody know where I can locate a new or used Power5 amp?

Anybody want to sell theirs??

I've searched for a couple weeks. May be the cheapest way that I can switch to digital amps.

Cory

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #478 of 584 Old 08-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleycol View Post

anybody know where i can locate a new or used power5 amp?

Anybody want to sell theirs??

i've searched for a couple weeks. May be the cheapest way that i can switch to digital amps.

Cory

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #479 of 584 Old 09-04-2008, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Did I miss something or these amps still available? If so, can any of you owners offer some advice on these questions?

1. How does this amp stack up against or difffer from Bel Canto's? I've read several great reviews on Bel Canto, but didn't even know the NHT existed like Wyred 4 Sound, D-Sonic, etc. until I read about it in Stereophile.

2. Which amp would be the best for home theater?

3. If anyone has experience with Paradigm Signature speakers, which amp would bring out the best in these speakers? (the S8 model)?

Thanks!!
post #480 of 584 Old 09-05-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

Did I miss something or these amps still available? If so, can any of you owners offer some advice on these questions?

1. How does this amp stack up against or difffer from Bel Canto's? I've read several great reviews on Bel Canto, but didn't even know the NHT existed like Wyred 4 Sound, D-Sonic, etc. until I read about it in Stereophile.

2. Which amp would be the best for home theater?

3. If anyone has experience with Paradigm Signature speakers, which amp would bring out the best in these speakers? (the S8 model)?

Thanks!!

The Power5 is unavailable unless you can find one on audigon.com or ebay, the Power2 is still available from listenup.com at a great price. I have both and am very happy with them. They have a very neutral (some might say lean) tonal balance but I have found them to be excellent with music and home theater. I listen to alot of 5.1 music, DVD-A and SACD and they play loud and clean without strain and don't get hot. I'm using Martin Logans in my 7.1 system and these amps are a good match in both sonics and power, not familiar with the Paradigm Signatures. Of course you can spend more and probably get a better amp. The only other amp I considered at this price point was the Sunfire TGA-7200, which is still available on audiogon and from most accounts an excellent amp at a good price. Happy Hunting!

If you only need 5 channels the sunfire TGA-5200 is on ebay for $1499.00.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page