NHT power5 amp, Givin it some lovin - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 584 Old 03-19-2008, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in the market for a new multi-channel amp and am really intrigued by the power5. However not having any experience with class D amps, I'm a bit hesitant. Does the power5 still have advantages even when played at lower volume when compared to a traditional amp like the Outlaw 7500, NAD T975, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 584 Old 03-19-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post

I'm in the market for a new multi-channel amp and am really intrigued by the power5. However not having any experience with class D amps, I'm a bit hesitant. Does the power5 still have advantages even when played at lower volume when compared to a traditional amp like the Outlaw 7500, NAD T975, etc?

I would say the best way to find out is to buy one and try it in your system. Everyone has different opinions on how amps will sound. I have found that listening to components in my own system to be the best way to determine if it is what I like or do not like. I am not trying to say getting opinions is not a good idea but it only goes so far IMO.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #93 of 584 Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 PM

Liked: 10
A little heads up for those of you contemplating wiring up your speakers to the Power5 using unterminated 10-gauge wire...its pretty tough getting the wire thru the holes in the binding posts. I may have to tin the leads or terminate them...still debating to myself.

Regards,
Ricky
post #94 of 584 Old 03-20-2008, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One advantage may be that the power5 has a dead quiet background level , I can put my ear right on the tweeter and hear nothing. I would think that is may be an advantage at low listening levels. Every other class a/b amp Ive had, has created at least some amount of noise ( although the Aragon was really good in this regard ).
The bass seems really good on the power5 , before this my favorite amp for bass was the Brystons I had back in the day ( actually the Lexicon versions of the 4bst and the 9bst ) ... Id love to be able to do an a/b with a Bryston
post #95 of 584 Old 03-20-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchcah View Post

A little heads up for those of you contemplating wiring up your speakers to the Power5 using unterminated 10-gauge wire...its pretty tough getting the wire thru the holes in the binding posts. I may have to tin the leads or terminate them...still debating to myself.

Regards,
Ricky

agreed, even with 12 gauge wire it was kind of tricky but I was able to stuff in a solid strand of audioquest as well after a lot of twisting and turning...
post #96 of 584 Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 PM

setup looks great!!!!

Im using a Music Hall 5.1se turntable and an Arcam DV-78 for a cd player.

I just picked up an OPPO 980 for sacd, dvd-a and upscaling dvds to my HP plasma.

I also use an IPOD for convenience but have been using the turntable much more as my vinyl collection grows exponentially with each garage sale I visit on saturday morning....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchcah View Post

Here are a couple of shots of my front end. I think im done w/electronic swapping for awhile...
btw, this is a fp system...the screen is retracted in the photos.
Regards,
Ricky

post #97 of 584 Old 03-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks Rob. Im looking at the new Oppo for sacd surround. Ive got a Sony DVP9000es but its in our family room theater. Im using the Tosh AX2 in the living room and love the pq coming from it, esp. for sd dvds.

Regards,
Ricky
post #98 of 584 Old 03-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny View Post

One advantage may be that the power5 has a dead quiet background level , I can put my ear right on the tweeter and hear nothing.

In general this is likely due to the muting circuitry that most Class D amps use. If there is no signal the output is off. This is not common for Class A or A/B amps.
post #99 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In general this is likely due to the muting circuitry that most Class D amps use. If there is no signal the output is off. This is not common for Class A or A/B amps.

Thanks for the info, I didnt realize that .. would this be a bad thing, the muting circuitry that is ?
post #100 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the 4 ohm power rating for this amp? I would like to hear opinions about this amp from Proceed Amp owners out there.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #101 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

What is the 4 ohm power rating for this amp? I would like to hear opinions about this amp from Proceed Amp owners out there.

I actually just bought a Proceed Amp3 and ran across this amp and was curious how it would compare also. I would have just bought one to compare but I didn't sell my other B&K 3 channel amp yet, so I didn't want to push my luck Plus, the proceed sounds awesome with my ascend sierras
post #102 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I love my Proceed amp too. I think draws too much electric power. Ever since I got it, my electricity bill has gone up by $40.00 per month. I don't know if anything else has contributed to this increase. But my wife is constantly bugging me to get rid of it. She also noticed when the bill started to go up. My Panamax power center shows that it draws twice the current compared to the Onkyo 805. So if NHT is a good as the Proceed and draws little electric power, then I will make the switch and get the domestic harmony back at my house.

post #103 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Alex,

There is a post earlier in the thread that shows power ratings from a HT magazine review. If you google "NHT Power 5 reviews" the HT and Kal's (Stereophile) review will come up.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #104 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the HT review specs. NHT didnt rate it at 4 ohms for the reasons Jack Hidley stated in this thread earlier.

here are some measurements taken from the Ht magazine review ...Not to shabby

All channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 257.1 watts
1% distortion at 299.1 watts

Frequency response:
–0.29 dB at 10 Hz; –0.09 dB at 20 Hz
–0.27 dB at 20 kHz; +0.68 dB at 50 kHz

This graph shows that the Power5's left amplifier channel, with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 291.6 watts and

1 percent distortion at 349.5 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 538.9 watts and 1 percent distortion at 640.2 watts. An input level of 117.0 mV was required to produce an output of 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load, indicating an overall gain of 27.59 dB.

Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –109.0 dB left to right and –106.78 dB right to left.—MJP
post #105 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

I was looking at the manual for the Proceed Amp 3, and in the specs, it lists the idle power consumption at 210 watts. If you leave your amp on 24/7 or just long periods of time, that could very well be part of what's driving up the utility cost. What class amp is this, A/B?

Anyone have similar idle power consumption data for the NHT?
post #106 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was looking at the manual for the Proceed Amp 3, and in the specs, it lists the idle power consumption at 210 watts. If you leave your amp on 24/7 or just long periods of time, that could very well be part of what's driving up the utility cost. What class amp is this, A/B?

Look at post # 20 and 59 , posted by Jack Hidley ...Very little power comsumption for this class d amp is the short answer
post #107 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post

I leave it on standby 24/7 along with all my other equipment. I could use the switched outlet on my Panamax and turn everything off (i.e cut power to all my equipment) when not in use.

post #108 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitcool View Post

Very interesting. I think one of the things that would subjectively affect my judgement of an amp was how quiet it was without anything playing.
post #109 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Alex,

There is a post earlier in the thread that shows power ratings from a HT magazine review. If you google "NHT Power 5 reviews" the HT and Kal's (Stereophile) review will come up.

Bill

Bill do you have any more updates for us yet.
Allen
post #110 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Been following this thread and ordered the power2 last nite. At 700 bucks, it was worth a trial. Hope I like it as well as everyone else seems to!
post #111 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 PM

I took the plunge too - purchased the Power5 from ListenUp and should get it by Wed next week. Now I need to look into getting some decent interconnects for the amp->preamp connections :-)
It'll be interesting to see how this compares to the NAD T762 I've been using.
post #112 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 180
"Anyone have similar idle power consumption data for the NHT?"

"Look at post # 20 and 59 , posted by Jack Hidley ...Very little power comsumption for this class d amp is the short answer"

There was no definitive answer; Jack said "The 2A current draw is just an estimate off the top of my head. It probably is too high."

I should hope so; as I originally pointed out, that would be 240 W, which is darned toasty.

Does anyone with one of these have an ammeter to measure this?

It sounds like it would need to be done w/music at a low level to make sure the modules are on.

Noah
post #113 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 PM

I've been bitten by the upgrade bug and have been doing more research than I care to admit on the different multi-channel amps available today. My current setup is a Denon AVR-5800 driving a 5.1 setup consisting of Paradigm Studio 60s V.2, Studio CC, and Studio ADP side surrounds. My sub is an SVS 25-31 PC-Plus w/12.3 driver upgrade.

I purchased the Denon back in 2001 and it has served me well. I've started the slow transition to HDMI1.3, 1080p TV, etc. and have been seriously considering the Integra DTC 9.8, unless Denon decides to unveil a DTC 9.8 competitor based on the 3808 and 4308 processing architecture but w/ added support for THX post-processing, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, and auto-volume correction at the 1600.00 price point *ahem*

Anyway, while I wait for processor nirvana I have been trying to figure out how to upgrade my amp section in preparation for the new processor. During my search, I was all set to buy a used Parasound Halo A51. Then I discovered that pesky "grinning ear-to-ear" thread and was all set to go with a stack of Crown XLS-402Ds or QSC RMX-1400s, as they were compared very favorably to the HALO A51 in a blind A/B test. In the end, that seemed like a great no-nonsense budget approach, but I decided I didn't want to fool with the necessary fan mods and trigger-able power strip/sequencers that they required. Not to mention the potential level-mismatch coming out of most consumer-grade processors.

Then I discovered Emotiva. Crap. Here I go again. After much digging (keep in mind my better half would not allow me to buy amp after amp to do in-home auditions so I'm having to average out other people's opinions to come to any sense of conclusion) I was all set to go on the MPS-2, as it also compared favorably to the Halo A51. THEN, the XPA-5 came out. IT compared favorably to the MPS-2. So I had a linked chain between the XPA-5 at $800 vs. a used Halo A51 at $$2300. I figured I'd be happy enough with the XPA-5 and call it a day.

Then I discovered IcePower. Double-crap. The 500ASP and 100ASP amps were rated very highly by many folks, some with quite a bit of previous experience with solid class AB amps. I'm an EE by trade, so the elegant nature of this Class D design really appealed to me. That and I wouldn't get a hernia lifting it into place. I ran the gamut of reviews on these modules and most claim it is a very solid performer with no alterations. The only way it could be improved was through bumping up the input impedance (to reduce loading distortion on the pre-amp) or by taking a MASSIVE traditional toroid/coke-can cap power stage and coupling it with the ICEpower modules that do not have the switch-mode power supply included (1000A, I think). See 6moons review of H20 amp using this tech. They claimed it "smoothed" everything out and brought it close to perfection. Whatever. I'm done. I can't take it anymore.

I decided to end this internal debate and buy a Power5. I bought it from ListenUP this morning. I will post my review on this thread when it comes in. In the end though, it will be just another data point. My speakers are very revealing, neutral, and will pump out ugliness if ugliness is fed to them. My goal is that hopefully this amp will keep the neutrality intact so I can use Audyssey(in the future), room treatments, and THX post-processing to create the sound I'm most comfortable with. Thanks to psujohny and Bill Mac for posting their comments on this amp and helping me come to a conclusion, that is, if I actually like the damn thing when it shows up.
post #114 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volgagerman View Post

I've been bitten by the upgrade bug and have been doing more research than I care to admit on the different multi-channel amps available today. ...I decided to end this internal debate and buy a Power5. I bought it from ListenUP this morning. I will post my review on this thread when it comes in.

Thanks, Volgagerman.

I read each paragraph with great interest. I really look forward to your review and hope that the units are still available for me when/if I decide to purchase one.

I'm using a Marantz 7000 from too many years ago to recall and I'm holding out for either the Sherwood Newcastle AVR R-972 (May/June) or the fourth quarter pre/pro (P-972 ?). I've got garden variety speakers at best (a mixture of basic Klipsch fronts, Cambridge Soundworks "mid '90s" center and rears, and a Sunfire sub).

With my speakers in mind, will I gain anything from separates? Or should I just stick with and AVR? See, then again, I know that maybe one to two years from now I'm gonna want to upgrade those, too. Aaaargh!!!

JP

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." -- W.C. Fields
post #115 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post

Bill do you have any more updates for us yet.
Allen

Yes I do. I was able to spend more time listening to 2 channel music today. I was happy to have the house to myself again when the power went out! But luckily it came back on after about a 1/2 hour.

My system consists of a Onkyo 805 as a pre-pro with the Power 5, Dynaudio Focus 140s and a Consonance CD-120. I am using cables from Signal Cable and my speaker cables are Neo Tech from av123. All listening was done with the 805 in the Pure Mode.

I listened to many tracks from the following CDs:

Mark Knofler: Golden Heart
Donald Fagen: Morph the Cat
Steely Dan: Everthing Must Go
Robert Cray: I Was Warned
Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms (25th edition)

All the above CDs I am very familiar with an have used them for demoing different components for some time. I found with the Power 5 that imaging was somewhat deeper with the Power 5 over the A52. In certain tracks it seems different instruments and vocals project further out than before. The soundstage is wider as well with more clarity with background vocals and rhythm instruments.

The biggest improvement I found over the A52 that was mentioned earlier in this thread is you can crank the Power 5 and the SQ just gets better. I like music at concert levels and with quality CDs as the ones I listened to today it was very impressive. I listened to Brothers in Arms last and I was blown away by the clarity and lack of any form of distortion. My favorite tracks are #4 Your Latest Trick and #6 Ride Across the River.

I have not really watched any movies except for a few scenes from Live Free or Die Hard in DTS-MA. Very impressive but I really find 2 channel music a better way to judge SQ whether it be with speakers or amps. I feel that the A52 is an excellent amp but the Power 5 IMO takes my system to the next level.

The improvements are subtle other than the power output which in fairness to the A52 the Power 5 almost doubles the A52s power ratings. But the SQ improvements are more than enough to make me quite happy with the Power 5. To say "A veil was lifted off my speakers" would be way out of line but I think anyone even thinking of the Power 5/2 should try one. I honestly think anyone who buys one will be very happy, I know I am.

Bill

post #116 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks Bill
post #117 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Very nice review!

Regards,
Ricky
post #118 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I emailed ListenUp last night inquiring about their return policy regarding the Power5. Below is the reply I got from them.
" Thanks for contacting us. Due to the clearance nature of these amps we are not able to offer our normal return privileges. All sales are final on these amps. They are covered by the full NHT warranty"

As much as I want to get this amp, I just can't take the blind jump, especially considering I have an excellent amp to begin with. I am just not sure if this amp will keep their value even at half their MSRP if I decide to sell it in the used market if I don't like it.

post #119 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The biggest improvement I found over the A52 that was mentioned earlier in this thread is you can crank the Power 5 and the SQ just gets better. I like music at concert levels and with quality CDs as the ones I listened to today it was very impressive. I listened to Brothers in Arms last and I was blown away by the clarity and lack of any form of distortion.

Thanks Bill for the great review !

I agree about the power5 and its abilty to be cranked up and never really get obtrusive. This is one difference that is really noticeable to me, and one I really apreciate. Totally agree also about the clarity and lack of distortion too. Its nice to get a re-affirmation, as you never know what other folks are gonna hear. The parasound is a really nice amp, so thats saying something.
Im also really looking forward to other reviews down the pike, as it seems the folks that are looking at this amp have some really nice amps to compare it to...should be interesting.
post #120 of 584 Old 03-21-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the mini review, Bill.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page