AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

Bill,

I tried that several times this morning with no luck, it just doesn't want to come out of stand-by. My switch on the back has a very tactical feel and sound. I got it to work once yesterday but that's it. It's all boxed up and ready to return. I'll speak with Bruce on Monday on getting a replacement unit.

Thanks for all the assistance... Was so looking forward to trying it out this weekend - now it'll be next weekend...

Ken

Ken,

Thats too bad, hopefully you will get a new one that works better. I looked in the manual to see if there were any suggestions but the manual is fairly brief in the troubleshooting section.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 584 Old 03-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am also very much interested in this amp and for the price, it seems like a steal.
I've read this whole thread and am very tempted to pull the trigger, but I just got one lasting question, that was asked earlier without a reply.

Anybody out there have any experience with the Outlaw Amps and would care to comment on them-direct comparisons would be great. How about pros and cons between the two, since thay use different technology.

Any help would be appreciated-Hopefully I can pull the trigger before they run out of stock!!!

Thanks Guys
post #183 of 584 Old 03-23-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the difference between the 500A, 500ASP and 1000ASP modules? Which module is the Power5 based on? Which one is better and why?

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #184 of 584 Old 03-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

What is the difference between the 500A, 500ASP and 1000ASP modules? Which module is the Power5 based on? Which one is better and why?

Good info here
B&O Icepower

I believe the NHT has 5x500AS/ASP modules
post #185 of 584 Old 03-23-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You gotta change the title of this thread so it doesn't seem like it's about unnatural acts.
post #186 of 584 Old 03-23-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

You gotta change the title of this thread so it doesn't seem like it's about unnatural acts.

What's natural to some is unnatural to others.
post #187 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Alex,

The Power 5 has 2 500ASP modules and 3 500A modules. No offense but this has been posted already (post#9) by Jack Hidley. There is quite a bit of technical info. on the Power 5 in the early pages of this thread.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #188 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 07:29 AM

Well, my amp is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, though I didn't get around to ordering interconnects (blue jeans cables) until this morning! UPS ground is faster than I remember. I may have to stare at the amp for a day or two until I get it hooked up. DOH!

I like to tear things apart so I hope to take a few pictures of the innards of this thing and will post on this thread. Specifically, I want to visually confirm that the 500ASP modules are on channels 1 and 5. I don't doubt the previous confirmations on this thread...I just like to see for myself.
post #189 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 AM

If you're into multichannel audio I highly recommend the Doors newest box set. It includes DVD-audio of all their studio albums. You can choose either multichannel or high rez stereo mixes. Ive been listening to the high rez stereo mix this morning and its making my Classic 4's sing!!!!
post #190 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 PM

hey all, I just finished setting everything up, for now....check out a pic of my system

still need some work on cable management and fine tuning speaker placement but Im done with the hard part (the flat panel mounting)

let me know what you think

Rob
LL
post #191 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilesh View Post

hey all, I just finished setting everything up, for now....check out a pic of my system

still need some work on cable management and fine tuning speaker placement but Im done with the hard part (the flat panel mounting)

let me know what you think

Rob

Um, what are all those large round objects in paper sleeves standing up in the shelves?
post #192 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

Um, what are all those large round objects in paper sleeves standing up in the shelves?

I think they're patent pending frisbees.

Rob, did the controller come with the latest fw?
post #193 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I just bought the Revel F32s. I was going for the M22 but I just couldn't get the "what if" out of my mind. I was going to wait until I sold my other speakers before getting a Revel front but I decided to audition them all at the same time and decide once and for all. So I now have the Proceed Amp3 and the NHT Power5 amps, the Polk LSi9, my Mirage OM9 based 7.1 system and Revel F32 and C32 speakers. I hope my electronics and speaker journey will end soon. It would be interesting to see if the Proceed is a better match for the Revels than the Power5. I have been told Revel used the Proceeds when they voiced the Performas. From here on, I will try acoustical room treatment rather than change speakers or electronics if I don't reach my audio nirvana.

post #194 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Got a tracking number from Listenup. Power5 is on her way. Scheduled Delivery: 27-March-2008! Looking forward for the weekend.

post #195 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How about that odd looking thing on the top shelf to the right of the center speaker? Is it one of those there reptile solariums?

I'm surprised that NHT did not use blue lights on the Power 5 as with the Controller.

Bill

post #196 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Got a tracking number from Listenup. Power5 is on her way. Scheduled Delivery: 27-March-2008! Looking forward for the weekend.

Alex,

I will look forward to your thoughts on the Power 5 especially compared to the Proceed.

Bill

post #197 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Alex,

As a current proceed owner, keep me posted also. I am wondering if you will even notice a difference. The proceed has always been highly regarded and lately, the ICE amps have been popular.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Brandon
post #198 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post

Alex,

As a current proceed owner, keep me posted also. I am wondering if you will even notice a difference. The proceed has always been highly regarded and lately, the ICE amps have been popular.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Brandon

Will do. While I sometimes follow the trend and buy into whatever the flavor of the month is, I usually tell it as I see it. I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. Based on my previous experience comparing amps, I have found the difference between Rotel, Parasound and Proceed to be subtle but still noticeable. I don't expect a whole lot of difference here. The main reason I bought the Power5 is for it's energy efficiency compared to the Proceed. But now that I will have a much better speakers, the Revel F32 and the Polk Lsi9, while before I only had the Mirage OM9, the difference might be quite large this time around.

post #199 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Will do. While I sometimes follow the trend and buy into whatever the flavor of the month is, I usually tell it as I see it. I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. Based on my previous experience comparing amps, I have found the difference between Rotel, Parasound and Proceed to be subtle but still noticeable. I don't expect a whole lot of difference here. The main reason I bought the Power5 is for it's energy efficiency compared to the Proceed. But now that I will have a much better speakers, the Revel F32 and the Polk Lsi9, while before I only had the Mirage OM9, the difference might be quite large this time around.

I have no brand preference either. I tend to trust others reviews moreso than my own being I have only owned 2 amps now(lots of speakers though). Many more experienced people on these forums have been swapping out different gear, trying new stuff, and writing their thoughts. I cannot afford to do this, so I sit back, read alot, research and make a decision sometimes without even hearing it. This is what led me to the proceed amps, and I did notice an improvement over my previous B&K amp.

looking forward to your unbiased review/comparison.

Take care,

Brandon
post #200 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post

I think they're patent pending frisbees.

Rob, did the controller come with the latest fw?

hmmmm, good question, how would I know which version it has? I havent tried to do any hdmi audio inputs to it. As you can tell, my main focus is on vinyl and hence analog. I run my universal player through the 7.1 external inputs with great results. My only dilemma is what to do when I eventually get a blu-ray player and want to use those inputs for the True-HD format since those players are not universal players.

Quote:

garage sale treasures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

How about that odd looking thing on the top shelf to the right of the center speaker? Is it one of those there reptile solariums?

I'm surprised that NHT did not use blue lights on the Power 5 as with the Controller.

Bill

yea, it is weird that the controller and amp lights dont match
post #201 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 PM

The last post on the NHT Controller thread was about a month ago so I hope you don't mind if I ask a question here... I just received the Controller and Power5. Does any one know whether it is possible to have the LFE (Subwoofer Out) on the unit function for 2 channel listening? My old AVR would provide an LFE signal when listening to 2 channel PCM audio from my DVD player but I'm not sure how (or if) this might work with the Controller.

The Controller's sub output does work fine with 5.1 material that comes in from DVD on Optical or Coax. I have not yet tried analog 7.1 in or HDMI (waiting for Blue Jeans cables). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Robert
post #202 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 09:31 PM

anyone having trouble with the Ethernet connection between the controller and the power5?

Mine was working fine for a few weeks but now it appears to be doing nothing. I have to manually turn the amp on and off and all 5 channels are always on whereas before only the main L/R channels stayed on in stereo mode. Ive tried turning everything off at the master power switches and tried unplugging and plugging the ethernet cable at both ends. Anyone have any ideas?
post #203 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilesh View Post

hmmmm, good question, how would I know which version it has? I havent tried to do any hdmi audio inputs to it. As you can tell, my main focus is on vinyl and hence analog. I run my universal player through the 7.1 external inputs with great results. My only dilemma is what to do when I eventually get a blu-ray player and want to use those inputs for the True-HD format since those players are not universal players.

Here's the NHT Controller info on the SW updates.

http://nhthifi.com/current/service-controller.html

Appears one can update up and not down. I think you would need what NHT calls the inject-inator.

From the above link...To check what version of software you are running, put the Controller into standby using the remote or front panel standby touch-switch (many people think this is the power switch - whatever you want to call it is fine with us), then touch the front panel touch-switch and continue hold for about 5 seconds and the software version will be displayed.
post #204 of 584 Old 03-24-2008, 10:34 PM

i did the check and I have the latest version, 1.59. too bad they arent going to upgrade the hdmi to accept true hd, that would make life a lot easier... hopefully OPPO comes out with a universal Blu-Ray player as good and cheap as their current offerings...
post #205 of 584 Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM

My amp has arrived....though I'm still at work so the grand unveiling will have to wait a bit longer. It might be tomorrow evening or Thursday before I can post first impressions (when my interconnects show up). I'll try to get some pics posted tonight.
post #206 of 584 Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Mine is also scheduled for the 27th!

Will it hurt anything for a few days to use a video cable as a center channel interconnect until I get a permanent solution?

Volgagerman, I look forward to your review. And, if I haven't said it before, I appreciate everyone in this discussion for their comments along the way. I have learned a lot! And, I'm very eager to grow my system over the next year or so with a new pre/pro and likely some speakers!

JP

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." -- W.C. Fields
post #207 of 584 Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9suffix View Post

Mine is also scheduled for the 27th!

Will it hurt anything for a few days to use a video cable as a center channel interconnect until I get a permanent solution?

JP

No. You can use any RCA cable, be it video or audio. I actually compared a component video cable from monoprice (used as interconnect from Onkyo to Proceed) with Kimber Hero, Analysis Plus Oval One-IC, Audioquest Diamondback, Anti-IC and Signal cable and they all sound the same to me. I sold off all the cables except for the AQ and Anti-IC which I will sell soon after I test drive them with the Power5. I did the same experiment with speaker cables. Bought Kimber 8TC, AP Oval Nine, Ixos 603 and Canare 4S11 raw cable. I am using the Canare now. Everything else is gone. I have proved for my self that all cable sound the same. Well insulated cable, like the ones made by Belden or Canare, is all one needs.

*Edit* Now that I am going to have a very revealing speakers, I may have a different opinion.

post #208 of 584 Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ive been using a rather expensive component video cable for 3 channels. I am not a cable believer per sey but I am a bit worried about using a component cable ( even though I doubt I could tell the difference ) ...I think Im gonna buy some radio shack golds or something else that is fairly cheap ( more so for piece of mind )

Has anybody else actually recieved their amp yet ? ...Its about time for a new review or two
post #209 of 584 Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM

I've had some time to get the thing unboxed, opened up, placed in its final spot, and I even managed to get two channels up and running with some old (quality) RCA cables. I have a very small buzz coming from the speakers, but I have to put my ear up to them to hear it. When I remove the RCA input from the amp, the buzz goes away, so it is not indicative of a noisy amp, but either a noisy preout on my Denon or the RCA cables picking up some garbage.

First impressions....keep in mind I'm no audiophile, but I have a nice system and enjoy it greatly! I was actually surprised to find that the Power5 and my Denon AVR-5800's amp section are very similar. There is a small difference in how the low end is handled, the bass does indeed seem quicker and more responsive. If anything, the Denon did have a bit of harshness to it when pushed, where the Power5 seems to be easier to listen to at higher volumes. Most likely reduced distortion coming into play. I didn't get to really push it tonight, as it was late and didn't want to wake the kids. My goal of at least maintaining the sound quality I had before (when I eventually sell my Denon and replace it with something newer) has been met. With my first foray into the world of dedicated amplification, it wasn't earth-shattering by any means, but then again, changing out speakers and treating the room will probably offer more noticeable changes. My speakers are fairly efficient, 90dB/W, 8ohms. The AVR-5800 provides up to 200Wx2 in two channel mode, so don't think I'm equating the Power5 to any mass-market receiver. This was Denon's flagship 8 years ago....and priced at almost 4k back then.

The Power5 is built very well, by the way. See the attached pics. They really tried to design out noise wherever possible. Each module is enclosed in its own cage. The two big cages are the 500ASP modules. The 3 smaller cages that are located under the big red board toward the back of the unit are the 500A's.

The small yellow board near the AC input on the back of the unit provides AC to DC rectification for the controller board (smaller red board) that houses the NHT ethernet circuitry.

The thin green board in front of the yellow one is basically a filtering circuit (LC) to keep high-frequency noise from entering the ICEpower modules. The AC is fed from that board directly into the two 500ASP modules.

The 500ASP modules are bigger than I imagined. They have four caps in each module, each one is 1200uF for a combined total of 4800uF per 500ASP. Think of these as power reservoirs for transient effects. The two modules DC lines (50V and 80V) are fed into the larger red board at the back of the unit. That board handles the DC bus, connections to speaker outs, and signals from the input connectors. Notice the three large caps on that board. Each one is 4700uF. It doesn't take much of a leap of faith to see that they tried to mimic the on-board capacitance of the 500ASP modules and have similar capacitance available to each of the remaining 500A channels. I think this helps bolster the dynamic power available to any channel (300W into 8 ohms).

By the way, I ohmed out the speaker connections for CH1 and CH5 and verified they do indeed run to the 500ASP modules.

So, there you have it. This amp has been very well designed, well built, and sounds great. Not bad for $1200! Did I mention it stays cool?
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #210 of 584 Old 03-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Nice, thanks for the impression and the pics. Let us know what you think when you fire it up louder.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page