Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #361 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Also don't forget, that while wireless may work good for some people, it still is probably not the best option to use during a download of a firmware update/upgrade via the itnernet. For that doing that, even if I had a good wireless setup working. I would even go through the trouble of running some sort of a temporary ethernet cable and using a hardwire connection instead.

Agreed. I'd never initiate any sort of critical operation over a wireless connection. And firmware upgrades certainly are definitely in that category.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Also don't forget, that while wireless may work good for some people, it still is probably not the best option to use during a download of a firmware update/upgrade via the itnernet. For that doing that, even if I had a good wireless setup working. I would even go through the trouble of running some sort of a temporary ethernet cable and using a hardwire connection instead.

Well I agree here, but modern kit like the AVP and PS3 cache and check the downloads before it installs them I think. But it makes good sense to connect with the cable.
post #363 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post

Well I agree here, but modern kit like the AVP and PS3 cache and check the downloads before it installs them I think. But it makes good sense to connect with the cable.

when I checked with denon here in oz on updating my 4308 the first thing they told me was to make sure I had it hooked via LAN cable to the net and not rely on wireless for updates. Its pretty plug and play too on LAN. as soon as you plug in the LAN cable it jsut automatically swaps to that even if you were hooked up via wireless. I Imagine the AVP would work the same.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #364 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tried hooking up turntable to this yet? If so, what did you think of the SQ of the preamp?

Do you know if the Phono input is MM or MC? I couldn't find any indication on the Denon site, but a couple of dealers list it as MM 2.5v.

Thanks,
Darrell
post #365 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's pretty unlikely that it would be for a moving coil cartridge, especially in this day and age. As there was not even a lot of older pre-amps that were made that would, most were just MM. I have had only one pre-amp in the past that even had adjustable phono input settings for proper "loading" of the phono cartridges and that also had a setting so it could accept a moving coil cartridge without the need for a external MC step-up transformer. And that was a Carver C-4000t, and in fact I still even have it. It's still a very good pre-amp for someone that is looking for just a stereo only setup.
post #366 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 12:52 PM

Progprog- yes; I think that would be a good idea. I have such a cable (Omega Micro) between my transport and DAC - it made a difference in SQ in general and eliminated the on-off break-in process. I would leave all my equipment on most of the time but we have, with the exception of Hawaii, the highest electrical rates in the Nation here on Long Island.

Russ
post #367 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Finally today I installed the AVP in my living room. It took a while for the HDMI to connect to monitor and cable box, but at the end it did. However I have two unfinished settings that need attention and I was hoping to get some help from you.

#Why can't I have any video on the monitor while I am listening to CD or tuner? I tried to assign the video input to SAT/cable box but it doesn't work. Is there any work around?

#There is no sound from my marantz VC6001 universal player when I play SACD and CD. Instead the DVD movie works just fine. I connected it through HDMI to DVD input on the AVP. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Oh, I almost forgot... It does sound fantastic already (at least after the first 5 minutes warm up).
post #368 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

#There is no sound from my marantz VC6001 universal player when I play SACD and CD. Instead the DVD movie works just fine. I connected it through HDMI to DVD input on the AVP. Am I missing something here?

It should work with CDs if you have the HDMI-Audio setup correctly. There is no SACD output via this HDMI v1.1 connection. See page 41 in your player manual.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #369 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

It should work with CDs if you have the HDMI-Audio setup correctly. There is no SACD output via this HDMI v1.1 connection. See page 41 in your player manual.

I was reading somewhere that the Oppo 981-HD which has HDMI 1.1 can do DVD-A and SACD over HDMI. That made me think that my marantz should have too.

I am quite sure I set HDMI on Auto on the player, but it does't even play the CD layer.
However, it does play DVD/A flawlessly. I wonder why.
post #370 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

I was reading somewhere that the Oppo 981-HD which has HDMI 1.1 can do DVD-A and SACD over HDMI. That made me think that my marantz should have too.

One can send PCM (converted from DSD) over v1.1 but only if the player is designed to do so. Your Marantz is not. It can do DVD-A according to the manual.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #371 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
dem

Quote:

#Why can't I have any video on the monitor while I am listening to CD or tuner? I tried to assign the video input to SAT/cable box but it doesn't work. Is there any work around?

You can't select an HDMI source for Video Select (on the 5308, anyway).

Dave
post #372 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM

[quote]
Quote:

Finally today I installed the AVP in my living room. It took a while for the HDMI to connect to monitor and cable box, but at the end it did. However I have two unfinished settings that need attention and I was hoping to get some help from you.

You should be able to achieve this by selecting "Video Select" on the front display and using the source knob to toggle to your video source. I haven't had any problems with this.
post #373 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

And are these balanced outputs of the floating type where it is possible to ground the pos or neg output to feed an unbalanced input?

The AVP provides both balanced and unbalanced connectivity.
post #374 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:

And are these balanced outputs of the floating type where it is possible to ground the pos or neg output to feed an unbalanced input?

I'm using some XLR to RCA interconnects for the mains to the 2ch pre for HT bypass, (only because these were the only spare set of interconnects I could find in a hurry), and yes pin 1 is connected to pin 3 at the RCA end, and there is no audible distortion or any other anomalies from using them.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #375 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

You can't select an HDMI source for Video Select (on the 5308, anyway).

So, why is there the option to select video input?
post #376 of 26427 Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=ddimberio;13481011]
Quote:

You should be able to achieve this by selecting "Video Select" on the front display and using the source knob to toggle to your video source. I haven't had any problems with this.

Just a reminder that the AVP's settings can also be accessed via your web browser, assuming you've connected the unit to your home network. I find this much easier than using the front panel buttons. This is the first component I've had that offers this option and I love it.

The "Source Select" page of the Setup Menu allows you to choose your desired video source from a handy little drop-down menu. I really like the way all the available parameters can be set right there on one page.
post #377 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Has there been any "official" review of the pre/pro & amp published anywhere yet, by one of the main magazines / web-sites?
post #378 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaharT View Post

Has there been any "official" review of the pre/pro & amp published anywhere yet, by one of the main magazines / web-sites?

I have not seen one yet even off of the internet sites. Perhaps there are still not many of these units about.
post #379 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaharT View Post

The Audioholics reviewer received his set too late to review before a planned March vacation. So he says they're just sitting there awaiting his return in April.
post #380 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

The AVP provides both balanced and unbalanced connectivity.

I know but if it is a quasi transformer balanced output I can have the advantages of a balanced connection into an unbalanced input. (Subwoofer in my case)

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampin...d/balanced.htm

Look up figure 6 under 5) section 2 for an explanation of how this works.
post #381 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

I'm using some XLR to RCA interconnects for the mains to the 2ch pre for HT bypass, (only because these were the only spare set of interconnects I could find in a hurry), and yes pin 1 is connected to pin 3 at the RCA end, and there is no audible distortion or any other anomalies from using them.

Look up figure 5 under 4) section 2 for an explanation of what could be an issue with your connection.

If I understand correctly you grounded one of the unbalanced outputs at the power amplifiers input, correct?
post #382 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Look up figure 5 under 4) section 2 for an explanation of what could be an issue with your connection.

If I understand correctly you grounded one of the unbalanced outputs at the power amplifiers input, correct?

Thanks for posting the link; I'll get around to having a good read at some stage.

Referring to your link this is how the interconnects are wired.

Quote:

Fig 15 above shows a typical unbalanced to balanced cable. The important point is that the Cold line is connected to ground at the remote (phono) end, and not at the XLR. Thus the balanced inputs at Pins 2 and 3 see only the voltage at the phono plug itself, and any spurious voltages that may exist on the ground line are ignored.
The XLR body, if metal, will have a separate solder tag for making connections to it. It also makes an electrical connection to its mating connector; if this is chassis-mounting then it will usually be grounded so the XLR body tag need not be used. In fact, it is important not to join the body to either ground or Cold as this creates an unwanted connection between audio ground and chassis ground, which may affect system performance.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #383 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for posting the link; I'll get around to having a good read at some stage.

I find all this interesting but a bit confusing. What would this give you over a normal unbalanced connection from the processor to the receiving equipment?
post #384 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

The Audioholics reviewer received his set too late to review before a planned March vacation. So he says they're just sitting there awaiting his return in April.

I take it that since there are not many of these about, other reviewers are waiting for this set or one of the next batch.
post #385 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I understood correctly.
This is the ideal connection if a real balanced output (with transformer) or a quasi balanced active output circuit is used.

The issue with the Denon output could be that you are simply shorting one of the balanced outputs to ground if the Denons output is using a ''standard'' balanced output circuit. This probably isn't going to damage the Denons outputs circuit as it looks to be quite capable. But you would not want that situation. The best way to check is to insert a 10 Ohm resistor in series with each balanced output line and see if the voltage drop over the resistor in the line conected to ground is much larger than over the other resistor.
post #386 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I take it that since there are not many of these about, other reviewers are waiting for this set or one of the next batch.

Couldn't say. I would hope that somebody is already testing them....
post #387 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I find all this interesting but a bit confusing. What would this give you over a normal unbalanced connection from the processor to the receiving equipment?

With a quasi balanced output circuit any noise injected into the cable is canceled out by the balanced output circuit.

This noise cancelling is known as common mode rejection and this is the prime advantage for using balanced line connections. Normally the balanced input takes care of the noise rejection.
post #388 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

With a quasi balanced output circuit any noise injected into the cable is canceled out by the balanced output circuit.

This noise cancelling is known as common mode rejection and this is the prime advantage for using balanced line connections. Normally the balanced input takes care of the noise rejection.

Oh OK frank, thank you. I can't pretend I understand why, but I think I will read the link posted a few posts back to try to better understand what is going on.
post #389 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 622
My Denon AVP-A1HDCI has finally arrived. Whoo-hoo! It's time to rock.
LL

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #390 of 26427 Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

MC/Waboman,

I just picked up the Panny BD30 since I don't care about the Internet functions that a profile 2.0 player will have. The BD30 Bitstreams all the codecs (including DTS-Ma and TruHD) to the AVP. The AVP decodes and plays them woithout issue. It sounds great.

I thik the BD30 is the best/cheapest match for the AVP right now. If you don't mind waiting ~2 months, the BD50 would be the best/cheapest bet.

Note: By Best/Cheapest, I mena it is the cheapest player that can play all the new codecs, and has no major bugs.

Darrell

Ditto bro, many do not understand that once the player is reduced to fulfilling only the function of a transport, little else matters in the 010101 world. Have the BD30, A35, and Oppo980 for DSD, great transports for the price, pristine sound and picture since no conversions occur until the signal hits the processor and the signals are digital.

As for the AVP, I HATE YOU LUCKY RS4/CarreraC4 DRIVING BXXXXXXS
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page