Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #31 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Wow! I'm gone for the day (out of town), and I log on and see tons of new post! Excellent guys! Looks like we're getting this thread going with a bang!

Now I've got a question for you all. I've changed the thread title to include the POA amp, but I had originally wanted it to say "Official Denon preamp model AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and Denon amplifier model POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. Well I was told that the title length was a tad too long and as such was shortened by the moderator.

So I am curious, is it ok as it is now? Or should I have it changed to "Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread"?

Since this thread is all of ours, I think it would only be right to get your input.

Seth

Seth,

I like Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread but I don't mind really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 03:11 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

and acoustical treatments.

A few more weeks and hopefully have that done also.

Frank
post #33 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 03:15 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

hope to soon join you guys here ! though suspect still quite a few weeks away

in the mean time, till get mine, will sit back watch you guys lead the way....and hopefully learn from what you discover

thats good to hear Al, I guess you will be getting yours when I get mine.Phoned today and hassled them some more,(wifes even asking where it is) hopefully trying to see if they can place me in the first shipment. (Still paitently waiting).

Frank
post #34 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:

anyways hoping to get a harmony 1000 to go with the pre. you tried the harmony with the avp as yet spearmint ?.

Hi Al
My harmony 1000i has not yet been programmed for the aVP
However yes it still works it as the ir codes are same as my Denon 3805 and I notice things happen in tandem around here now

cheers
Norpus
post #35 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 06:51 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

anyways hoping to get a hamony 1000 to go with the pre. you tried the harmony with the avp as yet spearmint ?.

AL the harmony 1000i should work fine, it's working fine with my A1 and by looking at the AVP manual there is really nothing to change when I get mine.Damn good remote for it's price!

Frank
post #36 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
post #37 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As soon as I got a phone call and was able to post I did which was 1 hr ago. My dealer called me back after speaking with Denon engineer and their relations dept. The dealer happens to do theater screening rooms for the studios (new line cinemas etc) yes they do multimillion dollar installs commonly.

I was told the following in order 1 hr ago:

1. The AVP has a "addon" card for the video processing.
2. The AVP's video processing "addon card" is getting hot.
3. Denon engineers have determined it is due to the power supply supplying too much voltage.
4. They strongly recommended to get the unit swapped out, they are supposed to be contacting all dealers and the dealers are supposed to be contacting all customers regarding this.

Don't shoot the messenger, AVS has been very good to me over the years and there is no reason for the dealer to lie to me about this as the pallet was ready to ship with all of my other gear.

I have the option to have it shipped from CA to FL but I opted to get it replaced (1 week) then to install, program, then have to remove it out of my system.
post #38 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

3. Denon engineers have determined it is due to the power supply supplying too much voltage.
4. They strongly recommended to get the unit swapped out, they are supposed to be contacting all dealers and the dealers are supposed to be contacting all customers regarding this.

Ouch! Serious bummer. At least it sounds like they are on top of it and being aggressive about replacing them. I've emailed my dealer to see if they know anything about it.
post #39 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Pentium,

As I've been watching this component waiting for Good Sonics impressions, do you know if this is a total recall of all units or a specific range of serial numbers? The is a very complicated piece of hardware.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #40 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Pentium,

As I've been watching this component waiting for Good Sonics impressions, do you know if this is a total recall of all units or a specific range of serial numbers? The piece is a very complicated piece of hardware.

Unfortunately I wasn't informed of either one of these only that "dealers are being contacted to get replacements to their customers"
post #41 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks Pentium!

Please keep us posted if you get anymore information.

Quote:

As soon as I got a phone call and was able to post I did which was 1 hr ago. My dealer called me back after speaking with Denon engineer and their relations dept. The dealer happens to do theater screening rooms for the studios (new line cinemas etc) yes they do multimillion dollar installs commonly.

Don't shoot the messenger, AVS has been very good to me over the years and there is no reason for the dealer to lie to me about this as the pallet was ready to ship with all of my other gear.

I have the option to have it shipped from CA to FL but I opted to get it replaced (1 week) then to install, program, then have to remove it out of my system.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #42 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

Thanks Pentium!

Please keep us posted if you get anymore information.

Ya I have additional info, I was told it was "hush hush" and to not post publically. Well, I don't give a @#$% pardon my attitude, if it is the truth and a fact then Denon needs to own up and fix up.

I heard all sorts of BS about "This is why we don't do new product installs", "Every company has some speed bumps and are quick to release products" "Look at HD-DVD & Bluray not playing certainly movies properly with first gen players"

All of that is BS as far as I'm concerned, this isn't low end equipment, we work hard for our money and most of us aren't independantly wealthy where problems are just no big deal to us.

Oh and again he said he would be happy to ship my AVP right away but recommended against it. If someone finds out the problem is not a fact (which I seriously doubt) please let us know.
post #43 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Say it ain't so! I have been totally enjoying my AVP for a week now, and the idea of having to unplug everything and lug it back to my dealer is not going to be a fun thing at all. We need to find out if there are only certain units affected or the complete first shipment. First thing Monday I am going to contact Denon and find out about this.

Thanks for giving us a heads up on this.
post #44 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

thats good to hear Al, I guess you will be getting yours when I get mine.Phoned today and hassled them some more,(wifes even asking where it is) hopefully trying to see if they can place me in the first shipment. (Still paitently waiting).

Well Franin you might just turn out to be the lucky one of the bunch. If this is true about the video add on processing card getting hot, maybe yours will be from the newer batch and will not have this issue.

Seth
post #45 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I would think Denon would have some sort of database of serial numbers in case of a recall.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #46 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Maybe this is because they don't have enough stock of the corrected units to supply those defective units that have already been shipped. This problem will probably be world wide since I'm guessing the video board is the same for all countries.

Quote:

Ya I have additional info, I was told it was "hush hush" and to not post publically. Well, I don't give a @#$% pardon my attitude, if it is the truth and a fact then Denon needs to own up and fix up.

I heard all sorts of BS about "This is why we don't do new product installs", "Every company has some speed bumps and are quick to release products" "Look at HD-DVD & Bluray not playing certainly movies properly with first gen players"

All of that is BS as far as I'm concerned, this isn't low end equipment, we work hard for our money and most of us aren't independantly wealthy where problems are just no big deal to us.

Oh and again he said he would be happy to ship my AVP right away but recommended against it. If someone finds out the problem is not a fact (which I seriously doubt) please let us know.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #47 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 05:57 PM
dem

Quote:

First thing Monday I am going to contact Denon and find out about this.

If you don't mind, ask if the 5308 is also affected. It probably uses the same video board, but probably not the same power supply.

Dave
post #48 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

If you don't mind, ask if the 5308 is also affected. It probably uses the same video board, but probably not the same power supply.

I did ask that as I have the 5308 on the pallet for the bedroom receiver, he told me it was not affected, he asked Denon engineer.
post #49 of 26443 Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM
dem

Quote:

I did ask that as I have the 5308 on the pallet for the bedroom receiver, he told me it was not affected, he asked Denon engineer.

Thanks.

Dave
post #50 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 02:31 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Well Franin you might just turn out to be the lucky one of the bunch. If this is true about the video add on processing card getting hot, maybe yours will be from the newer batch and will not have this issue.

Seth

I dont feel like it, but I can certainly wait if that is the problem.Maybe we should ask DenonJeff.It will be good if he still made an apperance.

Frank
post #51 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I dont feel like it, but I can certainly wait if that is the problem.Maybe we should ask DenonJeff.It will be good if he still made an apperance.

Yes, hopefully DenonJeff can set our minds at rest
I haven't noticed any problems with mine and I have measured the top of the case temps previously and found them ok (prob same as my older 3805 as a preamp only).

cheers
Norpus
post #52 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I just picked up my Denon today and started playing with it, but I have to agree right away about the network audio. I have hundreds of CDs ripped onto a NAS (flac files), and having tested various network players, nothing came close to Sonos usability. That hasn't changed. While the Denon has built in streaming capability, I don't think they meant to compete with dedicated players like the Sonos. It's a pretty crude interface.

In my HT, where I have my best equipment (even for 2 ch listening), I've had a ZP80 connected via optical cable to my receiver. Sonos' biggest plus and limitation remain the same with the Denon, where it's now connected via digital coax to the CD input. You must still use its interface (either the handheld remote or the desktop controller) for navigation. But this is a relatively small price for the far-friendlier GUI it offers. And honestly, it has never sounded better....

Where I think the streaming capability will more likely shine is internet radio. (Well, to the extent that internet radio can shine...it's pretty compressed.) I have yet to play with that, as there is some set-up involved on a Denon website, but I'll report back on that if anyone is interested.

Darrell, Progprog:

Thank you both for your thoughts concerning the streaming media UI. It's not a deal breaker for me concerning the AVP, it's just that with over 300 CDs to rip (pending), content management matters to me. Progprog, perhaps your solution using a Sonos, NAS, AVP combination is the best way to go for whole house music access plus quality playback in the near term. I can't really take Denon to task for what appears to be a lackluster media UI, at least initially. The concept of using AV receivers and prepros to stream media is a relatively new feature in the marketplace. Given more time, I suspect Denon (and others) will develop more refined UIs that manage large content libraries better.
post #53 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I've just ordered the two beasts a couple of days ago, and they are due to be delivered and installed Thursday next week! 5 more days to go. Can't wait. While ordering them, we also picked up a new Pioneer Kuro 60" to go with it. Now we need to see what to do with our previous Denon AVC-A1XVA and Pioneer 5000EX. Either sell them or use them in another room. I look forward to enjoying this thread! The recent post about a possible recall did get me concerned, but I tend to not take posts at face value, so I'll wait to see what my dealer has to say. Hopefuly we should receive them as planned next Thursday.
post #54 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 07:08 AM

Two short notes (need to go play withe the AVP).

The center (assuming video) section does get quite warm (possibly giving credability to the problem thoery), but no warmer than some other units I have (mine is on the top shelf completely in the open). A fan is now attached to mine for safety (suck out the hot air).

I hooked mine up to the network and was easily able to stream from my Vista PC to it (audio PCM files - I have noticed most systems support PCM).
post #55 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 AM
CIH USER

I tell you know if you want warm try the denon avc-a1xva that thing get hot!

Frank
post #56 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 10:58 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

As soon as I got a phone call and was able to post I did which was 1 hr ago. My dealer called me back after speaking with Denon engineer and their relations dept.

I really feel for you - I haven't even ordered mine yet but I'd be so bummed if I found out it was recalled just as I was supposed to get it! I'm very curious if this effects all units as I may hold off on ordering a bit longer to make sure I don't get one of the units from the warehouse that has this issue.
post #57 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

Darrell, Progprog:

Thank you both for your thoughts concerning the streaming media UI. It's not a deal breaker for me concerning the AVP, it's just that with over 300 CDs to rip (pending), content management matters to me. Progprog, perhaps your solution using a Sonos, NAS, AVP combination is the best way to go for whole house music access plus quality playback in the near term. I can't really take Denon to task for what appears to be a lackluster media UI, at least initially. The concept of using AV receivers and prepros to stream media is a relatively new feature in the marketplace. Given more time, I suspect Denon (and others) will develop more refined UIs that manage large content libraries better.

I also have the Sonos, and the UI is fantastic. since I use it in the bedroom as well, I won't be getting rid of it, despite the AVP being able to stream the same music.

The sonos is so easy to use. If I am working around the house, I use it. It sounds good and is perfectly acceptable for casual listening.

If I want to do critical listening, where I sit in the chair, and am not working, then I use the AVP streaming. I think it sounds better, and if I am sitting still a while, I can deal with the UI.

If I didn't have the Sonos, I would of course try to just make due with the AVP streaming. The UI is ok, but it isn't fast. Finding and Album or song, out of 300 albums won't be fast.

Darrell
post #58 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

Pentium,

As I've been watching this component waiting for Good Sonics impressions, do you know if this is a total recall of all units or a specific range of serial numbers? The is a very complicated piece of hardware.

OK Mozvz,

I got to dail in the AVP a bit. I am not ready to do a AVP vs. Halcro comparison as I still want to tweak the AVP so we get a fair comparison. I will say that the AVP's SQ is in the same league as the Halcro and AVP2+6, and the AVP's HDMI functions work very well. I have had no issues with the AVP.

I have previously had the AVP2+6, and the Halcro. In my room, with my speakers, I found that using the LFE+Main - crossed at 40hz, provided the best bass and overall SQ, with those units. After playing, with the AVP, I found a more standard LFE only, crossed at 60hz setup, sounded best.

With these settings, the bass is smooth, but very detailed. It is easy to hear the difference between differnt bass drums, tomtoms, etc. The mids sound nice and firm, and the highs are open. The soundstage is wide and deep. Overall, it is accurate in tone, similar to the AVP2+6, and yet it is dynamic.

I have played HD-DVD, Bluray, SACD, DVD-A, and CDs. The AVP sounds terrific with all these formats, and I have had no HDMI issues. So far, this is the best sounding HDMI unit that I have heard, where the HDMI truely works.

I haven't tried the AVP Audessey yet, so I have no feedback there. I also haven't tried 2CH-Analog input from my Denon Universal player (3930ci). I will post feedback once time allows.

Darrell
post #59 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

Progprog, perhaps your solution using a Sonos, NAS, AVP combination is the best way to go for whole house music access plus quality playback in the near term. I can't really take Denon to task for what appears to be a lackluster media UI, at least initially. The concept of using AV receivers and prepros to stream media is a relatively new feature in the marketplace. Given more time, I suspect Denon (and others) will develop more refined UIs that manage large content libraries better.

It does work extremely well, especially if you want your music available in other setups in the house. I wanted to clarify that you should use the Sonos ZP80, which has digital outs, NOT the ZP100, which only has analog, with your Denon. I've done some A/B testing and there really is a significant difference.

FWIW, I also tested the other big "streamers" on the market, and I concluded that the ZP80 running digital out to a good system was the best solution available. (This was last fall.) I even compared it to the Transporter, which is suppsoed to have some of the best DACs available at $2000. The $350 ZP80 (that's without a handheld controller) more than held its own sonically, and absolutely kills all comers on interface.

Personally, I prefer that the streaming function stays outside the receiver or pre-pro. I like the flexibility of upgrading/changing just those things I want, and like everything else, the more they try to pack in, the more likely the overall quality of everything goes down and potential complications arise.
post #60 of 26443 Old 03-15-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

GoodSonics,

How long have you been using your AVP, and have you noticed any particular heat issues? Have you been in touch with your dealer about this possible problem? Mine left a message for his Denon rep but doesn't expect to hear back until next week. I'm trying to decide whether to fully set it up in my HT this weekend or hold off and wait for word on a potential exchange.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page