Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #631 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

Thanks for the info. Yes the menu is a labyrinth indeed. I can confirm that you can only set it when you are inputting that souce. But the web-configuration, which I haven't tried yet, may bypass that step.

Your probably right.
Im plugged in now, how do I access that screen (shown on previous page?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Your probably right.
Im plugged in now, how do I access that screen (shown on previous page?)

I haven't used the web-configuration yet, someone experienced should be able to guide you throught.
post #633 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great, there is hope then, I did not know that a video setting would affect anything related to sound. I will try it soon as I can.

you wouldn't think there would be, but one of those quirks - too bad too because if it turns out that the combination of 480i out of the Oppo and upscaling via the AVP, is better than the SD upscaling in the BR player. then I'll be constantly changing the video setting in the Oppo..

Quote:

If you send the data out as raw do you still need to configure speaker's size, distance delay, etc?

no - not in the Oppo..The AVP will do the conversion to LPCM and handle all the BM and time alignment chores..

We will finally be able to compare if there is any benefit to having the AVP receive the DSD stream..

John
post #634 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't used the web-configuration yet, someone experienced should be able to guide you throught.

Got it!
post #635 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

You guys definitely need to use the web set-up. It's much easier and more intuitive.
  • First, you need to get your Denon onto your home network. When you plug in the ethernet cable, your router should automatically assign it an IP address. Alternately, you can go into your router first and tell it what address you want it to assign to the AVP (identified in network-speak by its MAC address.)
  • Once it's on your network, log onto the Denon in your browser by just typing in that address, i.e., http://192.xxx.x.xxx. That will bring up the AVP's Home Page. (It has to be powered on, obviously).
  • Once you're in there, look around and orient yourself with the Set-up pages. They're very handy because you can see a lot of the settings for a given source right there on a single page.
Good luck!
post #636 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

You guys definitely need to use the web set-up. It's much easier and more intuitive.
  • First, you need to get your Denon onto your home network. When you plug in the ethernet cable, your router should automatically assign it an IP address. Alternately, you can go into your router first and tell it what address you want it to assign to the AVP (identified in network-speak by its MAC address.)
  • Once it's on your network, log onto the Denon in your browser by just typing in that address, i.e., http://192.xxx.x.xxx. That will bring up the AVP's Home Page. (It has to be powered on, obviously).
  • Once you're in there, look around and orient yourself with the Set-up pages. They're very handy because you can see a lot of the settings for a given source right there on a single page.
Good luck!

Most importantly you can save your settings (along with Audyssey I believe).
post #637 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:

I certainly hope so!

My AVP has gone back from where it came, and currently waiting for a replacement. Before disconnecting I saved the configuration, and when the replacement unit turns up I'm hoping I can just upload it. Knowing my luck it'll tell me it's a different unit and won't update it.

I know of two units that have faults I hope its not going to be an ongoing trend.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #638 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, great point. Don't worry that it seems to take a long time when you do. Eventually, the AVP turns itself off.
post #639 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

My AVP has gone back from where it came, and currently waiting for a replacement. Before disconnecting I saved the configuration, and when the replacement unit turns up I'm hoping I can just upload it. Knowing my luck it'll tell me it's a different unit and won't update it.

I know of two units that have faults I hope its not going to be an ongoing trend.

I must have missed this earlier. Sorry. What was wrong with it?
post #640 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post

I have the same combo so you better get it working..

IIRC, the video has to be set to 1080P for 5.1 SACD to be sent along with it..but I don't have mine hooked up yet to verify this..

720p or higher.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #641 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Eric,

You're welcome. Sorry for the late reply. Yes .WAV sounds excellent, and is now my choice for storing my reference CD's. And I'm not too sure what other programs let you tag .WAV, but I'm using Windows Media Player 11 and it works great! All CD info is tagged for .WAV files. So now I'm getting superb sound quality with streamed music and I get to see all the cover art and CD info on screen.

If you do go for the Denon AVP, I really think you're going to be impressed with it. It has more than lived up to my expectations, and in many ways even exceeded them.

Seth

Hey Seth, ditto about my reply time. So you can tag WAV files within WMP11 eh? Great; WMP11 is what I plan on using for source playback (either directly or via Vista Media Center front end). Indeed, a brand new htpc arrived yesterday that I'll connect sometime this weekend to a Denon 4308ci. via hdmi. I don't know if the 4308/Gallo A'Diva Ti system I'm using at present has sufficient resolution to distinguish between ripped content and their source CDs, but we'll see. You and others within this thread have sold me on the AVP but I also think I'll wait to purchase it until my new home is completed ~ 6 months from now. I have some very nice speakers already paid for (but not ready for delivery by the vendor yet which works out well) with build and sound quality that should compliment the AVP nicely.
post #642 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I must have missed this earlier. Sorry. What was wrong with it?

One of the surround channels had a problem; it would make loud popping noises through the speaker, when changing audio formats, or selecting deselecting multi-channel. When the surround channels weren't selected i.e. 2channel listening then there was a very audible AC hum on that channel. It made no difference if I used Single ended or balanced both had the same problem.

However the flexibility of the pre allowed me to select one of the SW channels and reassign it, everything worked 100% after that. The trouble is I want to use 9.3 hence I need all the outputs, so a replacement is hopefully going to rectify things.

post #643 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Well, as usual, everything took longer than I expected, but here are my family photos! For those people who define 'high-end' as requiring massive overkill, this piece qualifies on power supply. It has to be at least 60% PS by volume.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #644 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 PM

I did find a rework. If you look closely near the black tape near the center of this picture, you can see a cut in on one of the white connectors. They inserted some diodes in series with a small fan that looks to be cooling the video processor. This will lower the voltage on the fan. This may be the source of the earlier 'issue'.
LL
post #645 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 04:40 PM

The phono input shares a tiny card with the CD input. Each of these RCA pairs has one dual op-amp associated with it. You can see the edge of this card in the view from below. The Phono section uses a JRC 2068D low noise unit, the CD side uses a NE5524. There are also I would guess some RIAA eq surface mount parts in the phono section. I'm positive that some people will snort with derision, but I will say, that with my Yamaha PF1000 turntable and Sure V15 Vx cartridge, on the one disc I played, there was zero hum or hiss and the sound wasn't bad. I am still fiddling with the Audessey and some other parameters, and it's been a year or so since I last had a phono preamp, so don't put a lot of weight on my brief observations.
The views from either side are impressive. Each bank of XLR connectors appears to have a rather chunky dedicated power supply. The heat sinks that run the depth of each side are bigger than many a power amp's, and are also just part of a power supply. This beast makes a D2 look way underpowered. The one IC you can see on each XLR board is a Toshiba TC94A32BFG volume control chip.
post #646 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Adding pic of the avp in place in my system..

got the harmony 1000 universal remote up and going as well. which makes the system a dream to use. one button to watch TV or dvd/blu-rays and one button to shut down the whole system ! wife loves it.

had a wow moment putting mr & mrs smith blu-ray into the pio with its dts-hd ma track. A lovely test track as has this orchestral background all the way through and the detail of the instruments and the way they were distinctly placed across the front sound stage was really quite pronounced and apparent. The vocals clear and distinct. Heaps of minute details apparent in the track as well, little things maybe never noticed before. The surround ambience and effects including bass is quite awesome as well in quite a few scenes. Overall the sound I'd say quite vibrant and this watching at relatively low levels -37db ... -41db not sure if this is the denon avps dynamic eq doing its but whatever it is...I like it !

ps good to see some nice pics wilfred of the innards ! certainly very impresive the build and engineering on the unit. good on you for taking the trouble to investigate and posting.
LL

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #647 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Sits in nicely Al!

Wilfred, thanks so much for the great photos! I had a look at Alebonau’s photos he posted earlier, and those diodes look similar in his photo.

If you compare both photos you can notice the lack of Tuner in the non US model.

Alebonau Photo

Wilfred Photo

post #648 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks spearmint,

intersting comparison in the pics. is the tuner in the us model, the silver / gold box behind the black heatink fins ?

post #649 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfred View Post

Well, as usual, everything took longer than I expected, but here are my family photos! For those people who define 'high-end' as requiring massive overkill, this piece qualifies on power supply. It has to be at least 60% PS by volume.

Quote:

I did find a rework. If you look closely near the black tape near the center of this picture, you can see a cut in on one of the white connectors. They inserted some diodes in series with a small fan that looks to be cooling the video processor. This will lower the voltage on the fan. This may be the source of the earlier 'issue'.

Quote:

The phono input shares a tiny card with the CD input. Each of these RCA pairs has one dual op-amp associated with it. You can see the edge of this card in the view from below. The Phono section uses a JRC 2068D low noise unit, the CD side uses a NE5524. There are also I would guess some RIAA eq surface mount parts in the phono section. I'm positive that some people will snort with derision, but I will say, that with my Yamaha PF1000 turntable and Sure V15 Vx cartridge, on the one disc I played, there was zero hum or hiss and the sound wasn't bad. I am still fiddling with the Audessey and some other parameters, and it's been a year or so since I last had a phono preamp, so don't put a lot of weight on my brief observations.
The views from either side are impressive. Each bank of XLR connectors appears to have a rather chunky dedicated power supply. The heat sinks that run the depth of each side are bigger than many a power amp's, and are also just part of a power supply. This beast makes a D2 look way underpowered. The one IC you can see on each XLR board is a Toshiba TC94A32BFG volume control chip.

Great Wilfred, thanks very much. You are a lot braver than I am!
post #650 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

got the harmony 1000 universal remote up and going as well. which makes the system a dream to use. one button to watch TV or dvd/blu-rays and one button to shut down the whole system ! wife loves it.

had a wow moment putting mr & mrs smith blu-ray into the pio with its dts-hd ma track. A lovely test track as has this orchestral background all the way through and the detail of the instruments and the way they were distinctly placed across the front sound stage was really quite pronounced and apparent. The vocals clear and distinct. Heaps of minute details apparent in the track as well, little things maybe never noticed before. The surround ambience and effects including bass is quite awesome as well in quite a few scenes. Overall the sound I'd say quite vibrant and this watching at relatively low levels -37db ... -41db not sure if this is the denon avps dynamic eq doing its but whatever it is...I like it !

ps good to see some nice pics wilfred of the innards ! certainly very impresive the build and engineering on the unit. good on you for taking the trouble to investigate and posting.

Excellent speaker choice, I have 1037, CC1000, SR1000 here. The Utopia series is major money, what puzzles me is a system like that (Utopias) but using a Harmony 1000? Horrible remote for most people, RF to IR issues, but if you are using just IR it might be ok. I decided to get a dedicated Control-4 that has RS-232 interfaces with IR and uses a proprietary wireless, but I am also running projector with motorized sled and electric screen masking so there are a few more complexities involved in the remote's needs.

What's nice is the bedroom is integrated into the same system and I can select DVR1, DVR2, HDDVD, Bluray, etc etc and play all in bedroom or living room, 2 remotes both identical and if they get swapped it asks you what location you are in with the remote.
post #651 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

Excellent speaker choice, I have 1037, CC1000, SR1000 here. The Utopia series is major money, what puzzles me is a system like that (Utopias) but using a Harmony 1000? Horrible remote for most people, RF to IR issues, but if you are using just IR it might be ok. I decided to get a dedicated Control-4 that has RS-232 interfaces with IR and uses a proprietary wireless, but I am also running projector with motorized sled and electric screen masking so there are a few more complexities involved in the remote's needs.

What's nice is the bedroom is integrated into the same system and I can select DVR1, DVR2, HDDVD, Bluray, etc etc and play all in bedroom or living room, 2 remotes both identical and if they get swapped it asks you what location you are in with the remote.

thanks pentium, love my Utopia Divas

nothing with RF in my system, so no RF to IR required. the harmony 1000 seems to do all I want and with the major plus the wife seems to love it ! so no complaints here

post #652 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by elockett View Post

Hey Seth, ditto about my reply time. So you can tag WAV files within WMP11 eh? Great; WMP11 is what I plan on using for source playback (either directly or via Vista Media Center front end). Indeed, a brand new htpc arrived yesterday that I'll connect sometime this weekend to a Denon 4308ci. via hdmi. I don't know if the 4308/Gallo A'Diva Ti system I'm using at present has sufficient resolution to distinguish between ripped content and their source CDs, but we'll see. You and others within this thread have sold me on the AVP but I also think I'll wait to purchase it until my new home is completed ~ 6 months from now. I have some very nice speakers already paid for (but not ready for delivery by the vendor yet which works out well) with build and sound quality that should compliment the AVP nicely.

Yes, you can definitely tag WAV files with WMP 11, and the player works excellent with the Denon AVP. Today I spent a good portion of the afternoon listening to streamed WAV through the Denon AVP and it was so awesome listening to all my favorites without having to go and change out CD's. And the sound quality was superb! What is really great about the Denon AVP is that the bass is so clean and tight. It's powerful but not over powering, which makes the listening experience all the more enjoyable.

Glad to hear that you plan on getting an AVP. I know I am extremely happy with mine, as I'm sure everyone else here is who owns one. And once you get yours I'm sure you'll agree.

Seth
post #653 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow! That is impressive! Your system is gorgeous, and that AVP looks right at home in there. Thanks for sharing.

Seth
post #654 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Amazing! Wow, I knew that the Denon AVP was very well built, now I am even more impressed after actually seeing what it has. Denon really pulled out all the stops on this one! Thank you very much for taking the time to take those photos and share them with us.

Seth
post #655 of 26304 Old 04-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Heres a list of quirks I've found with the 5308, that probably affects you guys too.

-Fix bass management in "non-matrix" mode. (bass is boosted too loud in the surround channels redirected bass.)

-Fix video processor so that "auto" mode outputs 480i at 1080p and 1080p/24 is untouched. (as it is now, 480i is output at 1080i. Setting processor to 1080p fixes it but than outputs 1080p/24 at 60fps.)

-Option to output all resolutions at 1080p/24 (as of now, only 1080p/24 can be output that way.)

-Allow a menu to show what you have each DSP or rear soundfield set to. (as of now, you can only set it when you are actually inputting that source. It might have that feature but I haven't found it in this Labyrinth of a lmenu!)

Same here, I have the impression that with audyssey dynamic eq engaged the bass from the rear speaker is too strong compared to the fronts, at least with multichannel hi-res material. this is an impression I got without particular measurements.
post #656 of 26304 Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 AM

Hi...I'm finally a new owner of the AVP and I was performing an Auto Setup. It seems that each time I run it, the results tell me my front speakers are 17-18 feet away when they are only 12 feet away...similar problem with the center, sub, etc. My Pioneer Elite auto calibrate always gave me accurate measurements. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
post #657 of 26304 Old 04-06-2008, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lovely, thanks for sharing!
post #658 of 26304 Old 04-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemike View Post

Hi...I'm finally a new owner of the AVP and I was performing an Auto Setup. It seems that each time I run it, the results tell me my front speakers are 17-18 feet away when they are only 12 feet away...similar problem with the center, sub, etc. My Pioneer Elite auto calibrate always gave me accurate measurements. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

in my case the auto calibration gave me accurate measurements. I must repeat that with the dynamic eq engaged at low volume listening it seems that the surrounds are a little bit more prominet over the front with movie soundtracks, not multichannel music. I will re-run the auto calibration some time.
However, with the AVP i get a fantastic sense of enveloping that was not possible with my previous pre-pro. Interestingly enough my front speakers, Vienna Acoustics Mahlers, perform even better with phantom center configuration. If you would not know that there is no center speaker you wouldn't believe it, as they focus extremely well the dialog on the screen.

In my previous post I wrote about the oppo inability to send DSD to the Preamp. I can now confirm that by setting its resolution to 1080p solved the problem and now it works. Still, however the LPCM setting is stuck to 48khz and cannot be changed because is persistently grayed. I may give oppo a call next week.
post #659 of 26304 Old 04-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi All.
I upgraded from a Theta Casablanca 3 with Extreme dacs in the front and center and the sound is excellent. I have a first gen Sony BDP with the latest firware, so my first test DVD, "Transporter", only played in DTS, but the sound is superb, easily the equal of the Theta. I need to find a DVD that my player will decode, to get a taste of uncompressed sound. This is with setup by my ear. I haven't had time to play with the Audessey room correction yet. The video scaling is excellent, but my projector is having intermittent problems synching with the Denon, possibly since it is a DVI with an HDMI adapter. I don't know if it's a software issue or a problem with the flimsy HDMI connector. When it works, the picture is excellent, but I am frustrated by the intermittency. For the time being, I may go back to the Lumagen scalar. Can anybody suggest some fixes for the video issue? I should mention that I have a Panasonic projector that came with an add-on DVI board.

DES
post #660 of 26304 Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

In my previous post I wrote about the oppo inability to send DSD to the Preamp. I can now confirm that by setting its resolution to 1080p solved the problem and now it works. Still, however the LPCM setting is stuck to 48khz and cannot be changed because is persistently grayed. I may give oppo a call next week.

Just try it. My LPCM setting is grayed out at 48khz too but higher resolution discs output at their higher resolutions just fine.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page