Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 230 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post

Same here.

Thanks people ill get to the bottom of this do a clean install again, save, reload and check. guess this is part of the bug .

I do wonder why load and save is so slow ... proving all this will take many hours.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
jackox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: France
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Who pays for all that overseas shipping? Seems like it'd be awfully expensive, and that both the risk and cost of that would start to outweigh other benefits at some point. (I guess I'm wary now of shipping to/from Europe ever since my daughter lived there and only about half the stuff we shipped- both ways- ever reached its destination. )


1 The shipping cost does not even get the units value close to what I should have paid in France.
2 I get the product 6 mounth to a year before France release (the DVD-3800BDCI won't be available before the end of the year ...)
3 I am buying all my Blurays, most of my CDs, and comic books from the US and Japan, never had an issue, and I buy alot.
4 sent some stuff to the US even at cheap rates ... same none issue.
5 for high value goods all shipment are insured.
6 Would you pay over 10k $ a Denon AVP-A1HD ? I guess not, but that's the price in France.

I do not give second thoughts at all when upgrading my home theater setup, it all comes from the US (except for power amps and projectors).
jackox is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,653
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

My AVP is scheduled to arrive this coming Tuesday. I got what I believe is a KILLER deal on it (assuming it's in good shape). I got a customer return from an authorized dealer with full warranty, free shipping, and for about half of MSRP. They couldn't give me any info on the cosmetic condition, but I've got 7 days to return it if I'm not happy and would only be out the return shipping. This is replacing my Lexicon MC-12B EQ V5.

The AVP arrived a little while ago. The cosmetics look just fine - just a little dust / no scratches. It's missing a few items and had a bonus item.

It's missing the following:
  • AM loop antenna - not sure if it's the small one or the big one (if someone would measure theirs I'd appreciate it).
  • Dipole antenna for HD radio. It came with a straight wire FM antenna.
  • Wireless antenna
  • The manual - it came with a manual for a Denon 3808 receiver

I've contacted one of Denon's parts suppliers to look into pricing for the missing parts. I could actually live without them as I'll be using a real FM antenna, found the manual on the Denon site, and won't be using wireless, but I'd like to have the missing parts if they won't cost a fortune.

The bonus item appears to be the control link cable for the POA amp that Vann's also had available on clearance. I suspect Tom Blake will find that his control link cable is missing. I sent him a PM to let him know I'll mail it to him if his is missing and he sends me his address.

The FedEx guy was a riot. He came up to the house to make sure someone was here to sign for it before taking it out of the truck (makes sense rather than carrying it twice). He seemed curious about it, so I told him I got a killer deal of half price. He took another look and said it looks like it might be around $500. Should have seen his jaw drop when I told him the MSRP . He agreed that at half price it must be a killer deal. I suspect he now thinks I'm crazy.

Tomorrow is the big day - out with the MC-12, in with the AVP. Having owned an original Proceed AVP, it's still weird for me to call this an AVP - it feels like I've gone full circle or something.
gsr is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 23,099
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
gsr

Good luck with your Denon AVP

I also sold my MC-12 EQ V5 shortly after installing the AVP: buyer drove down from Long Island and paid the asking price: a few days later he called and said one of the surround channels did not work

Lexicon service has a minimum service charge of $800.00 plus parts : I was bummed but told the guy I would make good for any repairs

Luckily he never called me back so I assume he got it working

moral: be sure this does not happen to you

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
markrubin is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 02:51 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,653
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Lexicon service has a minimum service charge of $800.00 plus parts : i was bummed but told the guy I would make good for any repairs

It's the same deal with Mark Levinson service. I ran into a similar situation earlier this year selling a Levinson No. 37 CD transport. UPS damaged it in shipping (and then further while inspecting it by scratching it). The repair estimate was around $1200 - $800 for labor and $400 for parts (including a new front panel). I gave the buyer a full refund (including shipping) and then started the fight with UPS. It was a long fight, but I eventually got my $$$ from them. I also got lucky as the repair center actually fixed the problems while doing the estimate, so the repairs only cost $135. The transport went from 8-9/10 to 7/10 on the Audiogon scale so given how many frustrating phone calls it took and that the value is now lower, I don't feel too guilty getting the $$$ from UPS.

I can understand repairs that are priced at $100 (or whatever) per hour, but a flat fee of $800 even if the repair takes 2 minutes is truly absurd.

It sounds like your buyer probably screwed up on the wiring. Otherwise, I'm sure you would have heard from him.
gsr is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well I now know exactly what Daniel was talking about when he mentioned that the volume ramped up all of a sudden. All has been fine when watching movies and TV shows in DD, DTS, TrueHD and DTS MA, BUT when I played a Multi-Channel DTS Surround song I had streaming, the volume went all the way up all of a sudden.

I had it at -30db and all was fine up until the DTS surround track started playing. And it was due to Audyssey kicking in. While in Direct and Pure direct with 2 channel material all was fine, but when Audyssey engaged (with Dynamic Volume) the volume just shot up! Luckily I had my remote in hand.

So I recommend using !!!EXTREME!!! caution when playing DTS surround music. Now this happened while streaming, so I have not tried playing a physical DTS surround CD. This very well could be a bug. We need to see if this is in case the fact. So to test this I would first recommend setting a volume limit and then see if DTS music does cause the volume to ramp up on its own.

Like Daniel mentioned, it is a very freaky experience that I do not want to repeat. Just want to give you all a heads up on this.

I need to let Gene know about this as this is pretty serious. This could potentially damage speakers if not corrected.

As I said this is the only time this has happened and so far no other source material has done this. But just as a precaution I set a volume limit of -10 on my AVP since I am using Audyssey exclusively with movies and TV programs.

And other than a handful of DTS tracks I have, I mainly only listen to 2 channel when streaming.


Seth
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Benicia, CA , U.S.A.
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The AVP arrived a little while ago. The cosmetics look just fine - just a little dust / no scratches. It's missing a few items and had a bonus item.

It's missing the following:
  • AM loop antenna - not sure if it's the small one or the big one (if someone would measure theirs I'd appreciate it).
  • Dipole antenna for HD radio. It came with a straight wire FM antenna.
  • Wireless antenna
  • The manual - it came with a manual for a Denon 3808 receiver

I've contacted one of Denon's parts suppliers to look into pricing for the missing parts. I could actually live without them as I'll be using a real FM antenna, found the manual on the Denon site, and won't be using wireless, but I'd like to have the missing parts if they won't cost a fortune.

The bonus item appears to be the control link cable for the POA amp that Vann's also had available on clearance. I suspect Tom Blake will find that his control link cable is missing. I sent him a PM to let him know I'll mail it to him if his is missing and he sends me his address.

The FedEx guy was a riot. He came up to the house to make sure someone was here to sign for it before taking it out of the truck (makes sense rather than carrying it twice). He seemed curious about it, so I told him I got a killer deal of half price. He took another look and said it looks like it might be around $500. Should have seen his jaw drop when I told him the MSRP . He agreed that at half price it must be a killer deal. I suspect he now thinks I'm crazy.

Tomorrow is the big day - out with the MC-12, in with the AVP. Having owned an original Proceed AVP, it's still weird for me to call this an AVP - it feels like I've gone full circle or something.

Well I got my half price POA today also. A little banged up but considering the price I can live with it. Geoff was right it was missing the link cable. However, a standard S Video cable seems to work fine. I was wondering if a POA owner could help with the following operational issues I'm having to ensure mine isn't damaged. I have the POA/AVP linked via a standard S Video cable and Mode switch set to "1":

1. The On/Standby button is fixed in place. It doesn't actuate on/off like the AVP or my 2930ci. Is that normal? The POA does go into and come out of standby fine via the link.

2. I have channels L1/L2, L5/R5, and R1/R2 set to Bridged operation. Those channels are lit up under the VU meters, but I can't select any other channels (i.e. L3, L4, R3, or R4).

3. The meter ON/OFF switch presses in and out but has no effect (the VU meter lights stay on regardless of the position of the ON/OFF switch).

I guess items 2 and 3 could be affected by not having the proper control link cable, but not item 1 (I would think). Thanks!
Tom Blake is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,653
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The AVP arrived a little while ago. The cosmetics look just fine - just a little dust / no scratches. It's missing a few items and had a bonus item.

It's missing the following:
  • AM loop antenna - not sure if it's the small one or the big one (if someone would measure theirs I'd appreciate it).
  • Dipole antenna for HD radio. It came with a straight wire FM antenna.
  • Wireless antenna
  • The manual - it came with a manual for a Denon 3808 receiver

One more - the primary remote is the wrong one. They included one for a Denon 3808 receiver (I'm sensing a pattern here) - the RC-1068 instead of RC-1067. It looks like I can get a brand new RC-1067 online for about $105 and then sell the RC-1067 on ebay to recover a good chunk of that cost.

Assuming there aren't any surprise operational issues with the AVP, I'm perfectly happy with how I did. I wish Tom had done as well on the condition of his POA.
gsr is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Benicia, CA , U.S.A.
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

One more - the primary remote is the wrong one. They included one for a Denon 3808 receiver (I'm sensing a pattern here) - the RC-1068 instead of RC-1067. It looks like I can get a brand new RC-1067 online for about $105 and then sell the RC-1067 on ebay to recover a good chunk of that cost.

Assuming there aren't any surprise operational issues with the AVP, I'm perfectly happy with how I did. I wish Tom had done as well on the condition of his POA.

Considering how poorly it was packed and the bad condition of the box I'm surprised at how well it survived. If it's okay operationally, I can live with the minor cosmetic issues considering the 50% discount. I wonder how many damage claims Denon receives on the POA when shipped via UPS or FedEx? What a beast to ship!
Tom Blake is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
progprog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Other Washington
Posts: 9,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

One more - the primary remote is the wrong one. They included one for a Denon 3808 receiver (I'm sensing a pattern here) - the RC-1068 instead of RC-1067. It looks like I can get a brand new RC-1067 online for about $105 and then sell the RC-1067 on ebay to recover a good chunk of that cost.

Assuming there aren't any surprise operational issues with the AVP, I'm perfectly happy with how I did. I wish Tom had done as well on the condition of his POA.

My 2 cents' worth: Spend that $105 on a universal remote, if you don't have one already. The AVP remote is horrendous and not worth all that effort....
progprog is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,653
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

My 2 cents' worth: Spend that $105 on a universal remote, if you don't have one already. The AVP remote is horrendous and not worth all that effort....

I've already got a Crestron "universal" remote (universal is a bit of an understatement) that I'll be reprogramming to control the AVP. My desire to get the correct remote mostly centers around future resale value.
gsr is offline  
Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Besides this volume ramp up issue with streamed DTS Surround music (Note this only happened when Audyssey was engaged), everything else is just fine! Now it's quite possible that it did this since it was going from a 2 channel Direct mode and then within an instant, had to switch to DTS surround mode with Audyssey MultEQ XT, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, and Audyssey Dynamic Volume. Maybe it just messed with it somehow.

With DVD, Blu-ray, HD DVD, and TV watching it's always in surround mode with Audyssey on. So with those sources, it never has to all of a sudden go from a 2 channel direct mode to surround mode with Audyssey on. Just a thought anyway.

I might try to see if my theory is correct on this. If it is then my volume incident is different than what Daniel was experiencing.

On another note, I have to say that Dynamic Volume continues to impress! I just finished watching Outbreak on Blu-ray, and it was AWESOME!!! And the dialog at all times was crystal clear, even when they were whispering! Very cool stuff!


Seth
ohyeah32 is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blake View Post

Well I got my half price POA today also. A little banged up but considering the price I can live with it. Geoff was right it was missing the link cable. However, a standard S Video cable seems to work fine. I was wondering if a POA owner could help with the following operational issues I'm having to ensure mine isn't damaged. I have the POA/AVP linked via a standard S Video cable and Mode switch set to "1":

1. The On/Standby button is fixed in place. It doesn't actuate on/off like the AVP or my 2930ci. Is that normal? The POA does go into and come out of standby fine via the link.

2. I have channels L1/L2, L5/R5, and R1/R2 set to Bridged operation. Those channels are lit up under the VU meters, but I can't select any other channels (i.e. L3, L4, R3, or R4).

3. The meter ON/OFF switch presses in and out but has no effect (the VU meter lights stay on regardless of the position of the ON/OFF switch).

I guess items 2 and 3 could be affected by not having the proper control link cable, but not item 1 (I would think). Thanks!

1. the stanby button should work the same as on the avp both in how it lights up and how it feels.

2. also weird i also bridge the 3 fronts but can use the button to switch to the other amps. when bridged it lights up 2 leds for the rest of the channels 1. Except for the center channel since well that level meter doesn't have any other amps attached (only handles 2 amps)

3. Sorry to say also weird. As far as i can see it allows me to turn on the lights and vu meters in any mode. Good test is to put it pure-direct mode then default all lights go off but using the button you can turn them on to check output levels using the vu meters.

You can check in the menu : manual setup / option setup / poa-setting you can test the link or manually put it on 1. Also if you make changes here the poa should click on each amp assignment. Please take note that once you put the POA on 'link 1' no other switches on the back work. (or should work).

Hope this helps but something does look a little weird. I would put all the switches back except for the link-1 and retest.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Ive made a small video with the bug. sorry that its so bad since well i just flipped my macbook pro and aimed the webcam to a screen . But you can hear the volume going up (until i quickly stop it). it might not sound like alot in this video but again its atleast 20dB so a massive jump if you are watching something at say -15dB. The poa will go into the red on this.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~daniel/ht/avpbug.mp4


Daniel.

PS: i am already trying to talk to denon about this one.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 05:04 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Ive made a small video with the bug. sorry that its so bad since well i just flipped my macbook pro and aimed the webcam to a screen . But you can hear the volume going up (until i quickly stop it). it might not sound like alot in this video but again its atleast 20dB so a massive jump if you are watching something at say -15dB. The poa will go into the red on this.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~daniel/ht/avpbug.mp4


Daniel.

PS: i am already trying to talk to denon about this one.

Let us know how you go Daniel.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Well I now know exactly what Daniel was talking about when he mentioned that the volume ramped up all of a sudden. All has been fine when watching movies and TV shows in DD, DTS, TrueHD and DTS MA, BUT when I played a Multi-Channel DTS Surround song I had streaming, the volume went all the way up all of a sudden.

I had it at -30db and all was fine up until the DTS surround track started playing. And it was due to Audyssey kicking in. While in Direct and Pure direct with 2 channel material all was fine, but when Audyssey engaged (with Dynamic Volume) the volume just shot up! Luckily I had my remote in hand.

So I recommend using !!!EXTREME!!! caution when playing DTS surround music. Now this happened while streaming, so I have not tried playing a physical DTS surround CD. This very well could be a bug. We need to see if this is in case the fact. So to test this I would first recommend setting a volume limit and then see if DTS music does cause the volume to ramp up on its own.

Like Daniel mentioned, it is a very freaky experience that I do not want to repeat. Just want to give you all a heads up on this.

I need to let Gene know about this as this is pretty serious. This could potentially damage speakers if not corrected.

As I said this is the only time this has happened and so far no other source material has done this. But just as a precaution I set a volume limit of -10 on my AVP since I am using Audyssey exclusively with movies and TV programs.

And other than a handful of DTS tracks I have, I mainly only listen to 2 channel when streaming.


Seth


Well at least we know its a firmware issue. Hopefully Denon can respond quickly.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

(Note this only happened when Audyssey was engaged)

Seth

A-ha!!

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
Old 10-15-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
progprog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Other Washington
Posts: 9,342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You goofy Pinto-driver, you!
progprog is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Well I now know exactly what Daniel was talking about when he mentioned that the volume ramped up all of a sudden. All has been fine when watching movies and TV shows in DD, DTS, TrueHD and DTS MA, BUT when I played a Multi-Channel DTS Surround song I had streaming, the volume went all the way up all of a sudden.

I had it at -30db and all was fine up until the DTS surround track started playing. And it was due to Audyssey kicking in. While in Direct and Pure direct with 2 channel material all was fine, but when Audyssey engaged (with Dynamic Volume) the volume just shot up! Luckily I had my remote in hand.

So I recommend using !!!EXTREME!!! caution when playing DTS surround music. Now this happened while streaming, so I have not tried playing a physical DTS surround CD. This very well could be a bug. We need to see if this is in case the fact. So to test this I would first recommend setting a volume limit and then see if DTS music does cause the volume to ramp up on its own.

Like Daniel mentioned, it is a very freaky experience that I do not want to repeat. Just want to give you all a heads up on this.

I need to let Gene know about this as this is pretty serious. This could potentially damage speakers if not corrected.

As I said this is the only time this has happened and so far no other source material has done this. But just as a precaution I set a volume limit of -10 on my AVP since I am using Audyssey exclusively with movies and TV programs.

And other than a handful of DTS tracks I have, I mainly only listen to 2 channel when streaming.


Seth

Seth i am so happy you also got this bug now , I was missing the whole community feeling around this bug and wondering why i was alone in finding it. Feel much better now.

If (and it sounds like it) its the same bug its not audessey itself that is the problem but Dynamic EQ see the video if you turn that off its fine.

I think i know how to trigger it and after ive rebuild my home setup and saved it again ill try if i can 'screw it up' again. Once its screwed up the bug stays until you start from zero again.

Very good that you mailed it to Gene, in the past i have talked to Jeff a few times and if needed will provide him with mode info. lets keep both ways open since i am not sure how quickly the dutch denon route will go (they are still thinking if they want to sell the volume upgrade at all, amazing).

Also its not just related to DTS i had it on multiple input and connection types (optical, hdmi, analog) and even in direct and pure-direct if you also use audessey on these modes.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

You goofy Pinto-driver, you!

Lol.

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
Old 10-15-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Terraforming Planet Wabo
Posts: 7,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Question for CD listeners, I know there's a few of us left. Do you prefer to use analog cables from your player to the AVP and have the players DACs do the work, or a digital connection, say HDMI, to the AVP and have the AVP do the work? How good are the AVPs DACs?

__________________________________________

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
Waboman is online now  
Old 10-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Member
 
ShaharT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post
I have been considering getting two POA amplifiers to go along with my AVP, but have some questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I am in the process of getting some new speakers (Aerial LR5 & CC5) that are not very sensitive 86 db and everyone who has them says to feed them alot of power. What I was considering doing is getting two POA amplifiers and using four of the 10 channels for each speaker. I would bridge two channels and run to the low end of each speaker and bridge two channels for the highs of each speaker. I would also do this for the center channel which would use up 12 of the 20 channels all together. I would bridge the other eight channels for my four surrounds.

Hear are some of the questions I have come up with myself.

1) I will need to get some XLR cables that have two connectors on the amp end

2) Can the POA be run in this configuration. (I'm not 100%)

3) Will this be hard on the POA to be run in this configuration.

4) The Aerials are a nominal 4 ohm speaker but do dip into the 3 ohm region according to the specs on there website. Will the Denon be able to handle this type of load without stressing itself.


Looking over the specs from the Denon website they are claiming 500 watts when bridged into 4 ohms. This means I would be putting 1000 watts total into each of the front three speakers and 500 watts to each surround.


Below is a paragraph that I copied and pasted from the review at Audioholics. This paragraph comes from the beginning part of the review but I don't take it as part of the review it just says it's a "Amplifier Connection type Definitions".


Bridge Mode: This connection allows you to use two amplifier channels to output opposite phase signals generated from one input signal. When you bridge an amplifier, you effectively double the output voltage with can yield up to 4 times the rated output power assuming the power supply can deliver that much current. This is a good idea for applications that require lots of power to reach high SPL's but its important to note that each amplifier effectively sees ½ the rated impedance of the loudspeaker so if your speaker system is rated nominally at 4-ohms, be sure the amplifier is stable for two ohm loads before bridging it. Never bridge an amplifier that isn't designed to do so!

So if the Aerials are 4 ohms and dip into the 3 ohm range this means the Denon would be seeing 2 ohms to 1.5 ohms. This is why I ask if the Denon can handle it.


I hope I made everything clear as to my thinking on this setup, and I look forward to your input.
ShaharT is doing exactly what you described with his B&W's as described here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post13991948 and shown here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14151559

----------
I'm happy to confirm that's exactly what I'm doing - and it's sounds super. Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Shahar
ShaharT is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rnrgagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Question for CD listeners, I know there's a few of us left. Do you prefer to use analog cables from your player to the AVP and have the players DACs do the work, or a digital connection, say HDMI, to the AVP and have the AVP do the work? How good are the AVPs DACs?

I use Denon Link from my 3930ci and the AVP's DAC's IMO are nothing short of stellar. The best CD player I've had is the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi which had a very good DAC's and the AVP trumps it. I haven't tried the DAC's of the 3930ci - haven't felt the need to even try.
rnrgagne is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JonFo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Big Canoe, GA, USA
Posts: 1,353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Question for CD listeners, I know there's a few of us left. Do you prefer to use analog cables from your player to the AVP and have the players DACs do the work, or a digital connection, say HDMI, to the AVP and have the AVP do the work? How good are the AVPs DACs?


Well I got a Denon player because wanted all digital link for all content, including CD's.

The AVP's DAC's are always in-circuit as far as I can tell. So whatever you hear, it's gone through the AVP's DAC's.

Many pages ago, the question of whether the AVP had a pure analog bypass mode came up, I challenged it, and no one as refuted it.

So bottom line, I'd use a digital link if available, and Recommend a DenonLink for highest performance.
JonFo is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Tom Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Benicia, CA , U.S.A.
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

1. the stanby button should work the same as on the avp both in how it lights up and how it feels.

2. also weird i also bridge the 3 fronts but can use the button to switch to the other amps. when bridged it lights up 2 leds for the rest of the channels 1. Except for the center channel since well that level meter doesn't have any other amps attached (only handles 2 amps)

3. Sorry to say also weird. As far as i can see it allows me to turn on the lights and vu meters in any mode. Good test is to put it pure-direct mode then default all lights go off but using the button you can turn them on to check output levels using the vu meters.

You can check in the menu : manual setup / option setup / poa-setting you can test the link or manually put it on 1. Also if you make changes here the poa should click on each amp assignment. Please take note that once you put the POA on 'link 1' no other switches on the back work. (or should work).

Hope this helps but something does look a little weird. I would put all the switches back except for the link-1 and retest.

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel. Turns out there's a Denon service center right in my town so I'm going to have them check it out under warranty.

Tom
Tom Blake is offline  
Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aesculus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Nor Calif
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Well I got a Denon player because wanted all digital link for all content, including CD's.

The AVP's DAC's are always in-circuit as far as I can tell. So whatever you hear, it's gone through the AVP's DAC's.

Many pages ago, the question of whether the AVP had a pure analog bypass mode came up, I challenged it, and no one as refuted it.

So bottom line, I'd use a digital link if available, and Recommend a DenonLink for highest performance.

I have not looked at the schematic yet so I cannot comment but while pure and direct only can be influenced by the volume, I too believe they move the sound into the digital domain even for just volume. You think it would be easy to verify but we may need a service manual to do that.

Chris
Aesculus is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
the rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post

I have not looked at the schematic yet so I cannot comment but while pure and direct only can be influenced by the volume, I too believe they move the sound into the digital domain even for just volume. You think it would be easy to verify but we may need a service manual to do that.

Do anyone know of any units beside McIntosh that use an analog volume control? I have no idea why I care but this jogged my memory of an old argument I got into that never got proved
the rick is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
danielo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 4,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post

I have not looked at the schematic yet so I cannot comment but while pure and direct only can be influenced by the volume, I too believe they move the sound into the digital domain even for just volume. You think it would be easy to verify but we may need a service manual to do that.

The avp can only claim to be fully balanced if also the volume control is done in a analog way. Look at this schema and you will see that a balanced signal goes into the gain section and gets out again. You can also see that a analog signal passed the digital part of the design. Unless you add audessey or something else on then it gets converted to perform that.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...e_E3.jpg/image

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
danielo is offline  
Old 10-16-2008, 08:48 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 298
just curious how many servers would you say Denon has for consumers to update? Because there was another update and as usual around 43 minutes updating it gets stuck. I guess they must know that people get stalled with these updates and by knowing that you think that they should provide more servers.It really annoys me.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I wonder what happened to Tassop and even Mark B? Have not seen them around for awhile.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
 

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off