Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 232 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #6931 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Yesterday was a fun day - I took a comp day from work (we worked most of the weekend getting a production release out that would have just taken a few hours if everything had gone as planned) and spent the entire day switching over to my AVP.

I started by finally upgrading my Lexicon MC-12B EQ to the version 5 software so I could make sure it was still working fine after the upgrade. It will presumably sell for more $$$ if it has the latest software version. That went well.

Next, I ripped the MC-12 out of my system, pulled out most of the cables, and gave the area behind my system a good cleaning while I had everything pulled out - this was actually quite a project as I have a LOT of equipment.

Next, I hooked up the AVP to the sources, amps, TV, etc. and started working on configuration. This also went mostly well. Since I don't have an HDMI capable TV yet, I still need to use component video, but wanted to hook up HDMI where possible to make the eventual TV upgrade a bit easier.

I ran into a minor snag with my older DirecTV HD-Tivo (HR10-250) - apparently when an HDMI cable is connected, the component video output goes dark. So I ended up going with optical digital and component video for this one.

Another minor snag was that my Sega Genesis (yeah - the OOOOOOLD gaming system) only has composite video output. It took me a bit to figure out that the AVP won't scale a 480i input to 1080i on the component video output. To resolve this, I just ran the composite video output from the AVP to an available composite video input on the TV and will switch inputs on the TV when needed. My brother and I use the Sega to play a hockey game during intermission while watching hockey (maybe the Bruins will actually get good and win the cup again in our lifetimes). The game works out well as we usually finish just before play starts back up by going with 2 minute periods.

Next up, I connected my McIntosh MVP-871 with HDMI and component video, assuming I'd be able to play CD, DVD-Audio, and SACD audio over the HDMI cable. CD worked fine. I haven't tried DVD-Audio yet - will be heading downstairs to try that shortly. However, with SACD, I get no audio over HDMI. I'm assuming this is either a configuration issue on the McIntosh player or possible a configuration issue on the AVP. The manual for the MVP-871 doesn't really make it clear if I should expect SACD audio over HDMI. If anyone has gone through this already, the final outcome would be appreciated.

Finally, the coaxial digital output on one of the sound cards (RME Digi96/8 Pad) on my HTPC doesn't seem to be working well with the AVP - chances are I have a configuration issue on the PC side. When I try to send sound to the AVP, the AVP display seems to indicate it's getting something and shows a left and right speaker on the display, but I get no sound. If I connect the digital output from the other sound card in the PC (Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro) to the same input on the AVP, it's working fine so it's clearly an issue on the PC side. I use the RME card to play ripped CD's as it can do 44.1khz while the Creative card converts everything to 48khz. Perhaps I just need to get over it and go with the one card and make my life easier .

So far, I'm very happy with the AVP. I haven't calibrated speaker levels and distances yet, but the sound quality seems to be excellent and the feature set is simply awesome. It's going to take a while to go through all the features and options, but it looks like it will be more than worth the effort.

So add me to the list of very satisfied owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Geoffrey : On not getting component video etc through with an HDMI input, thats a fact for HDMI. Check page 9 of the manual. Basically with HDMI in, you must end up with HDMI as your final destination. However the AVP can do the reverse. You can send it any format you want and it can covert it to HDMI. You can thank your Hollywood lawyers for this one (DRM).

Chris
post #6933 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

I just want to say that I "really" appreciate you sharing this info with us here. All of the past update info you have shared with us has been spot on with what Gene has provided. So I have no doubt that this info is indeed accurate.

Thanks again.

Seth

I definitely appreciate the info, I would love to know before I update

Frank

post #6934 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 05:43 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

How weird but for you people ill reencode it and try again

new h.264, http://www.xs4all.nl/~daniel/ht/avpbug2.mp4

Daniel.

That works know.

Frank

post #6935 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 05:46 PM
CIH USER

Daniel, you diefinitley can hear that. Im just wondering if your playing at refrence which I do, I read somewhere that dynamic audio swiches off, is that true? by switching off it stills stays on the lcd but it does not work. Is dynamic audio mainly used for late night movie watching for low volumes?

Frank

post #6936 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that it's a firmware issue. And once Denon is aware of it and what it's doing, then they can find a fix for it. Until then, since I only have 3 DTS surround CD's, if I can't listen to those three albums via streaming, no biggie. I have 600 non DTS CD's I can still enjoy!
Now if I had like 40 or 50 DTS encoded CD's that I wanted to stream, well then that's another story.

But like I was telling Daniel, every other source so far has been issue free. Satellite, DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray, are all working just fine with Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.

Speaking of Dynamic Volume, I watched Indiana Jones IV last night and it was an awesome listening experience! Talk about a stunner of a soundtrack! And not once during the whole film did I have to turn up the volume to hear the dialog, and at all times the sound effects never overpowered the dialog.

I am impressed with what Dynamic Volume does.

Seth

Looking forwad in watching my copy tomorrow night. Tonight the incredible hulk,Sunday night Poltergeitst and Monday night the dreaded The happening that everyone says it awful. Still have not seen any of them, only Poltergeist many years ago.

Frank

post #6937 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassop View Post

I have been on holidays ( mostly on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean). Just got back. It looks like I have a bit of catching up to do!

That would of been nice, well glad to see your back.

Frank

post #6938 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Daniel, you diefinitley can hear that. Im just wondering if your playing at refrence which I do, I read somewhere that dynamic audio swiches off, is that true? by switching off it stills stays on the lcd but it does not work. Is dynamic volume mainly used for late night movie watching for low volumes?

There is a definate difference from Day mode and Off.

Chris
post #6939 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

he i would just put up the message i would not make any claims about the content of the message itself.

I do notice that you sortof skip our questions could it be you work on the firmware ?. If you don't reply on this we assume thats a fact ok

Daniel.

If thats the case, awesome.

Frank

post #6940 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 06:10 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post

Geoffrey : On not getting component video etc through with an HDMI input, thats a fact for HDMI. Check page 9 of the manual. Basically with HDMI in, you must end up with HDMI as your final destination. However the AVP can do the reverse. You can send it any format you want and it can covert it to HDMI. You can thank your Hollywood lawyers for this one (DRM).

I think you may have misunderstood my issue. I'm not expecting the AVP to take HDMI video and convert it to component video - I understand that the conversion of video only works the other way. Until I replace my TV (Mitsubishi WS-65909 6+ year old HD RPTV without DVI or HDMI) with something newer, the HDMI video processing on the AVP isn't going to do much for me - I understand that and have no issue with it. Depending on when Oppo / Denon release their new universal BD players, the TV is probably the next upgrade in my system.

My issue is that I'm trying to get the SACD audio from my McIntosh MVP-871 to the AVP via the HDMI digital connection - I don't believe this should require a HDMI display. I just tested with a DVD-Audio disk and the audio worked fine over the HDMI cable (with video going over the MVP's component video output, to comp in on the AVP, then comp out from the AVP to my TV). As I said in my previous post, it's possible that the MVP-871 just won't send SACD audio out over the HDMI connector (as either DSS or LPCM) as every other type of audio I've tried (CD, DVD, DVD-Audio) is coming into the AVP just fine on the same HDMI connetion. If that's the case, I can simply wait for Oppo or Denon to come out with their new universal BD players that will send SACD audio over HDMI and move my McIntosh back to my office system where I can only use the analog outputs anyway.

I have resolved the problem with my RME audio card - it was a configuration issue on the PC side as I expected.
post #6941 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 06:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Drat - I appear to have a hardware problem with my AVP. I just did a quick channel level calibration. Unfortunately, there's no output from the balanced Surround A Left output. I tested moving the front left cable to that connector and got no sound. I also moved the surround A left output to the front left output and then got sound. So the problem is definitely on the surround A left balanced output (I haven't tried the unbalanced output yet). A full power cycle (including unplugging the AC cord) made no difference. So it looks like the AVP is going to need to go out for service . I wonder if this is why it was a customer return at Vann's... But at least I have a warranty and the nearest warranty service center appears to be in CT, which isn't too far away.
post #6942 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 07:14 PM

Liked: 10
Geoff - sorry to hear your AVP also requires service I brought my POA in today. Luckily I have a new Denon/Marantz service center that is only a mile from my house. Interestingly, they told me that the service manual for the POA is out and there's 3 pages of diagnostics you can access via various button presses. Will be interesting to see what those are!

On your McIntosh SACD player I believe you need to have an HDMI v1.2 (or 1.3) output to get direct DSD output. HDMI 1.2 players are very rare. My Oppo 980H has it, but I believe very few other players do. DVD-A out only requires HDMI 1.1. My guess is that's what your McIntosh has. If so, use the multichannel analog ins on the AVP for your SACD source.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Drat - I appear to have a hardware problem with my AVP. I just did a quick channel level calibration. Unfortunately, there's no output from the balanced Surround A Left output. I tested moving the front left cable to that connector and got no sound. I also moved the surround A left output to the front left output and then got sound. So the problem is definitely on the surround A left balanced output (I haven't tried the unbalanced output yet). A full power cycle (including unplugging the AC cord) made no difference. So it looks like the AVP is going to need to go out for service . I wonder if this is why it was a customer return at Vann's... But at least I have a warranty and the nearest warranty service center appears to be in CT, which isn't too far away.

post #6943 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 07:36 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

he i would just put up the message i would not make any claims about the content of the message itself.

I do notice that you sortof skip our questions could it be you work on the firmware ?. If you don't reply on this we assume thats a fact ok

Daniel.

Well if he works on the firmware, captavs why arent these firmware tested throughly before released? If don't work on them and you know someone that does you can ask them.

Frank

post #6944 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

GSR- You need to use the analog multi channel output on the Mcintosh to output SACD, it does not offer this over HDMI from what I understand.
post #6945 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Well if he works on the firmware, captavs why arent these firmware tested throughly before released? If don't work on them and you know someone that does you can ask them.

Clearly you guys have issues... I have no idea what your talking about nor do I have the interest your issues.

Cheers, captavs

Like 80's rock? Add
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KQLZ (updated 8/21/11):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to your

Firmware update?
post #6946 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

So friendly.
post #6947 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

So friendly.

Like 80's rock? Add
KQLZ (updated 8/21/11):
to your

Firmware update?
post #6948 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by captavs View Post

Clearly you guys have issues... I have no idea what your talking about nor do I have the interest your issues.

Cheers, captavs

wow, what's thats all about? just asking a question I did not think it deserved an answer like that.

Frank

post #6949 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow, what's thats all about? just asking a question I did not think it deserved an answer like that.

It didn't, Frank. Perfectly valid question, but there's quite a bit of gamemanship going on here- might as well drop it.
post #6950 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow, what's thats all about? just asking a question I did not think it deserved an answer like that.Where did that question pose to be offensive?

What's all what about? This back and forth is ridiculous. I made myself clear several posts back concerning change logs I posted. My source prefers to be unnamed. Nothing else to it. That's it. Thanks.

Like 80's rock? Add
KQLZ (updated 8/21/11):
to your

Firmware update?
post #6951 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 09:10 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by captavs View Post

What's all what about? This back and forth is ridiculous. I made myself clear several posts back concerning change logs I posted. My source prefers to be unnamed. Nothing else to it. That's it. Thanks.

Quote:

captavs why arent these firmware tested throughly before released? If you don't work on them and you know someone that does you can ask them

This is the question I asked I did not ask for your sources's name.I just wanted to know because the comment made by daniel insinuated that you were a programmer for Denon and if your not, could you ask the source the question.I don't want the sources name i really don't care. actually i thought it was a site you went to.So if you read my question it was plain and simple.

Frank

post #6952 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

It didn't, Frank. Perfectly valid question, but there's quite a bit of gamemanship going on here- might as well drop it.

I agree, we come here to help each other,get a few ideas and make friends.I personally don't want to take anything away from anybody.

Frank

post #6953 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is the question I asked I did not ask for your sources's name.I just wanted to know because the comment made by daniel insinuated that you were a programmer for Denon and if your not, could you ask the source the question.I don't want the sources name i really don't care. actually i thought it was a site you went to.So if you read my question it was plain and simple.

The only way I can help I have by posting change logs. Personally I think Denon does an outstanding job with firmware updates.

Like 80's rock? Add
KQLZ (updated 8/21/11):
to your

Firmware update?
post #6954 of 26371 Old 10-16-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Looking forwad in watching my copy tomorrow night. Tonight the incredible hulk,Sunday night Poltergeitst and Monday night the dreaded The happening that everyone says it awful. Still have not seen any of them, only Poltergeist many years ago.

Wow, The Incredible Hulk, is that the new one with Edward Norton? If it is let me know how you like it, as that's one that I've been looking forward to seeing.

Yes I concur with the others who thought The Happening sucked. It just left a lot of things unanswered and totally left you hanging at the end. IMO not one of M Night's better works.

Seth

post #6955 of 26371 Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:

Yes I concur with the others who thought The Happening sucked. It just left a lot of things unanswered and totally left you hanging at the end. IMO not one of M Night's better works.
Seth

That's too bad. I'm an M Night fan. I haven't seen The Happening yet, but it's on my Netflix queue.

A pleasant surprise, I just bought the new Nightmare Before Christmas blu-ray. I was shocked that it has a 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack. Also, the picture is stunningly spectacular!!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #6956 of 26371 Old 10-17-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did let someone else download it, you just need a good mp4 player . No its NOT Dynamic Volume its Dynamic EQ. I do think it triggers something in Dynamic Volume. Why simple my avp doesn't have Dynamic Volume yet, denon in netherlands is still thinking about it.

For you in the video you see me turn on/off dynamic eq. Ill make a wmv for you .

http://www.xs4all.nl/~daniel/ht/avpbug.wmv

Daniel.

Thanks for making it viewable in WMV. I was successfully able to view it this time.

I can see and hear exactly what you're saying now. The volume does indeed ramp up once Dynamic EQ is turned on.

I did a test using a DTS CD, and it played just fine on my DVD-A/SACD player and Denon Blu-ray player. Sound with Audyssey on played without any sudden volume spike. Changing tracks, scanning, etc. absolutely no problems. So I believe what I experienced is somehow different than what you're going through.

On Net/USB if I have something like PLIIx Cinema on and then engage Audyssey with Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume the volume does not spike. But if it's in 2 channel mode (Direct, Pure Direct, haven't tried Stereo) and the DTS track plays with Audyssey on, the volume immediately spikes.

So it is definitely an issue having to do with Audyssey having a problem going from 2 channel Direct, Pure Direct to multichannel.

Seth

post #6957 of 26371 Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

That's too bad. I'm an M Night fan. I haven't seen The Happening yet, but it's on my Netflix queue.

A pleasant surprise, I just bought the new Nightmare Before Christmas blu-ray. I was shocked that it has a 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack. Also, the picture is stunningly spectacular!!

Yeah I was very disappointed with The Happening as I am also a very big fan of M Night.

Very cool on the new Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-ray! And that is very interesting that it has a 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack. I don't think I have ever seen a Blu-ray (or HD DVD) movie with a 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack. I hope this trend continues, because why should DTS have all the fun releasing in 7.1?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts of its 7.1 TrueHD sound.

Seth

post #6958 of 26371 Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I was just kidding, please take it that way. You clearly have access to someone thats in the know somehow thats fine. My (our?) point is if you communicate with him/her could you pass along the request to put the changelog in the update process itself. Most systems work that way if they work in a networked method.

And i do agree denon is WAY ahead in setting up their network update and upgrade structure compared to others in the market we are talking about details here.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #6959 of 26371 Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just kidding, please take it that way. You clearly have access to someone thats in the know somehow thats fine. My (our?) point is if you communicate with him/her could you pass along the request to put the changelog in the update process itself. Most systems work that way if they work in a networked method.

And i do agree denon is WAY ahead in setting up their network update and upgrade structure compared to others in the market we are talking about details here.

Daniel.

I didn't mean you, Daniel. It's all good.
post #6960 of 26371 Old 10-17-2008, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I didn't mean you, Daniel. It's all good.

I know i just think this joking around was on the edge of getting out of hand. Lets keep this the most friendly and huggable thread on avs .

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page