Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 233 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #6961 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys, I'm back from holidays and trying to find out what the latest upgrade does to the AVP. I couldn't find anything conclusive by browsing so I hope someone doesn't mind informing me. My AVP says that there is a 110 min download available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassop View Post

Hi Guys, I'm back from holidays and trying to find out what the latest upgrade does to the AVP. I couldn't find anything conclusive by browsing so I hope someone doesn't mind informing me. My AVP says that there is a 110 min download available.

There should be a 63 min after that one.

Frank

post #6963 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just to give you an idea we have to pay $150 for this dynamic volume upgrade.

Frank

post #6964 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Wow, The Incredible Hulk, is that the new one with Edward Norton? If it is let me know how you like it, as that's one that I've been looking forward to seeing.

Yes I concur with the others who thought The Happening sucked. It just left a lot of things unanswered and totally left you hanging at the end. IMO not one of M Night's better works.

Seth

The previews looked good in the happening. I have not seen one positve review about it.
lookign forward in watching The Incredible hulk tonight.

Frank

post #6965 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just to give you an idea we have to pay $150 for this dynamic volume upgrade.

Well it looks like its the usual case of "bend down, smile and take it where the sun doesn't shine"
post #6966 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well it looks like its the usual case of "bend down, smile and take it where the sun doesn't shine"

I agree, I've printed out the form, I thought were getting ours for free. Highley unlikely.

Frank

post #6967 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

here is a link for you Tassop and Scott.

http://www.audioproducts.com.au/down...seyupgrade.pdf

Frank

post #6968 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 AM

So your expected to pay the same for one feature add as those with lesser machines who get 3 adds - I think we need to tell Denon where to go and show them that we are not prepared to put up with nonsense.
post #6969 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwomwell View Post

So your expected to pay the same for one feature add as those with lesser machines who get 3 adds - I think we need to tell Denon where to go and show them that we are not prepared to put up with nonsense.

Problem is Denon has contracted the distribution to an Australian company who is not as interested as Denon in customer satisfaction or even market penetration. The Oz company has had it too good for too long.
post #6970 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 06:51 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I started by finally upgrading my Lexicon MC-12B EQ to the version 5 software so I could make sure it was still working fine after the upgrade. It will presumably sell for more $$$ if it has the latest software version. That went well.

I hope you have better luck selling your MC-12 than I did. I only received $3,382 on ebay, and it was an MC-12B EQ V5 in great condition.

Mark
post #6971 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 07:06 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

I finally managed to sucessfully play a .WAV file from my NAS! I had not tried anything in awhile, as I was busy with other projects. I used iTunes on an iMac to burn a CD (Daughtry) in .WAV (error correction on). I tried this a couple of months ago with another CD (Queen Greatest Hits), and it did not work, as I recall.

I also poked around in the iTunes settings and turned on the "sharing" function, so maybe that helped?

Interestingly, iTunes locate the metadata for the Daughtry CD, but not the Queen CD. I am curious if that information is embedded in CD's nowadays?

I still cannot stream songs purchased from iTunes; I get a file error on the AVP. I don't know what is going on there.

Mark
post #6972 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Problem is Denon has contracted the distribution to an Australian company who is not as interested as Denon in customer satisfaction or even market penetration. The Oz company has had it too good for too long.

Your right, there philosphy is you want it you pay for it, if you don't I don't care. Not only that there distrubutors not only for Denon but for NAD,SIM quite a few products. I think they have the most companies under there belt.

Frank

post #6973 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I finally managed to sucessfully play a .WAV file from my NAS! I had not tried anything in awhile, as I was busy with other projects. I used iTunes on an iMac to burn a CD (Daughtry) in .WAV (error correction on). I tried this a couple of months ago with another CD (Queen Greatest Hits), and it did not work, as I recall.

I also poked around in the iTunes settings and turned on the "sharing" function, so maybe that helped?

Interestingly, iTunes locate the metadata for the Daughtry CD, but not the Queen CD. I am curious if that information is embedded in CD's nowadays?

I still cannot stream songs purchased from iTunes; I get a file error on the AVP. I don't know what is going on there.

Mark

I did not think they can play songs from itunes. I thought they were only compatible with windows media.

Frank

post #6974 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 08:47 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:

I did not think they can play songs from itunes. I thought they were only compatible with windows media.

The .WAV files imported from the CD are in my iTunes library, which is stored on my Ready NAS.

The Ready NAS has an iTunes streaming feature built in, so maybe that is why I can play the .WAV files I imported from the CD using iTunes.

Is the AVP compatible with .mp4?

Thanks.

Mark
post #6975 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The .WAV files imported from the CD are in my iTunes library, which is stored on my Ready NAS.

The Ready NAS has an iTunes streaming feature built in, so maybe that is why I can play the .WAV files I imported from the CD using iTunes.

Thanks.

Mark

That I don't know.

Frank

post #6976 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 10:22 AM

Hi guys.

Does anyone besides me find it impossible to save or load a configuration now after the latest update?

After pressing the "save config" button in web controller all i got is a message that says "Save Not Complete Please retry again".

//Mats

In some way Soul music started and ended with the Stax/Volt label(Imho).
post #6977 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just finished watching the Incredible Hulk, fantastic.

Frank

post #6978 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your right, there philosphy is you want it you pay for it, if you don't I don't care. Not only that there distrubutors not only for Denon but for NAD,SIM quite a few products. I think they have the most companies under there belt.

I was wondering how Denon servers differentiate the AVP's on their servers. I am assuming that the servers would be centralized somewhere and that they would either differentiate on the basis of unit coding for country specific models or alternatively use IP address to identify the region. If the latter was true, I wonder whether routing through a USA based proxy server would allow a free upgrade.
post #6979 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was wondering how Denon servers differentiate the AVP's on their servers. I am assuming that the servers would be centralized somewhere and that they would either differentiate on the basis of unit coding for country specific models or alternatively use IP address to identify the region. If the latter was true, I wonder whether routing through a USA based proxy server would allow a free upgrade.

well lateley, the new upgrades I've noticed before the update it say's Authenticating. I guess they must of thought of that also and know they want to make sure by using product ID.

Frank

post #6980 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Hi all,

Ok....once again I'm running out of stuff to tweek on my AVP/POA combo.......at present, the front L/C/R speakers are in bridge mode
and everything sounds great.

Generally speaking, what are your experiences/results as it relates to our AVP/POA's, on the pros/cons of bridging vs bi-amping?

Thanks!

John

I used to be a dyslexic-agnostic-insomniac but I got tired of lying awake in bed at night wondering if there really was a dog.

Althea's Garage
post #6981 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks.

Mark

Hey Mark. The AVP does play .mp4 files (the compatibility list is on page 64 inthe manual). The problem with songs purchased on iTunes is that they have to be "authorized" for the computer(s) on which you play them. I assume it's still the same, but you used to always have up to five concurrent authorizations available. Example: when I bought my son a new computer last Christmas and we copied everything over, his iTunes library had to be authorized before his purchased music would play. He was then using two authorizations for the two computers.

This raises an interesting question for me. I wonder if there is a way to authorize a NAS? I kind of doubt it, as Apple has been pretty thorough in limiting the use of the music they sell and putting it on a NAS means you could play it practically anywhere. Anyone who knows more about iTunes DRM- I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this.

The iTunes server on the ReadyNAS works very well. I have an extensive library on my NAS, and even though none of it was ripped & formatted in iTunes (I don't even have iTunes on my computers), it shows up as "iTunes Server" on my son's computer, giving him complete access to my music and all its metadata.
post #6982 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Yeah I was very disappointed with The Happening as I am also a very big fan of M Night.

Very cool on the new Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-ray! And that is very interesting that it has a 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack. I don't think I have ever seen a Blu-ray (or HD DVD) movie with a 7.1 TrueHD soundtrack. I hope this trend continues, because why should DTS have all the fun releasing in 7.1?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts of its 7.1 TrueHD sound.

Seth

I used to own A Nightmare Before Christmas on laserdisc, which I sold many years ago. I haven't seen the movie since. I gots to tell you, this blu-ray rocks!! Both the audio & video are nothing short of stellar. That's right, I said stellar. If you're a fan, I highly recommend this movie for your collection.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #6983 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Interesting hypothesis. I'd be curious to hear how these things work for jackox, who lives in France but buys N.A. versions of his Denon equipment. The response he gets when trying to upgrade should answer your question about which information the servers use to differentiate.
post #6984 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 11:32 AM

Does getting the latest firmware updates require an Audyssey re-calibration with the mic?
post #6985 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm going to pick up Raiders and the Hulk this afternoon - I love comic book based action movies - I can't wait for the Dark Knight either.

Any of you guys try out the music Blu Ray's I suggested?

Pat Methey; The Way Up Live
&
Jethro Tull; Live At Montreux 2003

Movies are great on the AVP - but these DTS HD MA recordings really show off the AVP's music prowess well.
post #6986 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't tried those two music Blu-rays yet. I did however pick up ZZ Top Live In Texas, which is DTS HD MA. They're looking old. The beards are a little more gray. But they still rock!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #6987 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I haven't tried those two music Blu-rays yet. I did however pick up ZZ Top Live In Texas, which is DTS HD MA. They're looking old. The beards are a little more gray. But they still rock!

I got that one too, it's way more fun, and closer to my musical tastes since blues guitar is my favorite genre. Billy Gibbons is one of the better blues guitarists around. It's a very good Blu Ray, but not quite as well recorded as the other two I mentioned.
post #6988 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I'm going to pick up Raiders and the Hulk this afternoon - I love comic book based action movies - I can't wait for the Dark Knight either.

Any of you guys try out the music Blu Ray's I suggested?

Pat Methey; The Way Up Live
&
Jethro Tull; Live At Montreux 2003

Movies are great on the AVP - but these DTS HD MA recordings really show off the AVP's music prowess well.

next week for hulk
post #6989 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen View Post

next week for hulk

Oh, yeah the 21st, darn it!
post #6990 of 26304 Old 10-17-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the ZZ Top was pretty well recorded. If the other two you mention are even better, I might have to check them out. I'm not a huge Tull fan though. Everytime I see Ian Anderson I think of Will Ferrell as Ron Burgundy, jammin' on the flute in the restaurant. Cracks me up.

I'm waiting on The Hulk too. The AVP should really shake da house with that movie.

Growing Older But Not Up
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page