Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #721 of 26315 Old 04-09-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

Much better than the Krell S1000 by the way.

I agree. I also had the S1000. Now with the AVP I've never heard such clean, tight bass from my speakers. When I played a DTS HD DVD demo disc, the audio on DTS-HD MA was outstanding! I was literally grinning from ear to ear.

Growing Older But Not Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 26315 Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post

I've been enjoying so new AVP so much that I've haven't let everyone know that the club has another extremely happy member. All I can say is wow wow wow.

I continue to learn and tweak and here's my first question: should the AVP be able to take a 1080p input and scale down to 720p?

I also have the 2500 and my four year old Fujitsu P50 plasma accepts up to 1080i via its DVI input. The display is ISF calibrated and I was advised that feeding it 720p gave the best results, so I have the AVP set to always send it 720p. I'm trying to determine the best theoretical settings. For DVD I'm thinking 480i for the 2500 and 720p for the AVP. That way, the AVP does the scaling and deinterlacing. For BD, I tried setting the 2500 to output 1080p and the AVP to scale down to 720p, but those settings don't work (the plasma is unable to display a stable picture). Any thoughts?

Too cool, nice to hear from yet another very happy AVP owner. Congrats!

Thanks for sharing.

As for your question, I'm sure that there's an AVP owner here that can help.
post #723 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post

I also have the 2500 and my four year old Fujitsu P50 plasma accepts up to 1080i via its DVI input. The display is ISF calibrated and I was advised that feeding it 720p gave the best results, so I have the AVP set to always send it 720p. I'm trying to determine the best theoretical settings. For DVD I'm thinking 480i for the 2500 and 720p for the AVP. That way, the AVP does the scaling and deinterlacing. For BD, I tried setting the 2500 to output 1080p and the AVP to scale down to 720p, but those settings don't work (the plasma is unable to display a stable picture). Any thoughts?

Even if you send it 720p, the TV is still going to do some of it's own video conversion to the signal. Because the Fujitsu itself is really a 1366x768p native resolution set, which is not unusual as most all of the so called 720p plasmas are actually 768p sets. So you probably are best off with just running a little comparison test by sending it 1080i, and then try 720p. And then deciding which way looks the best.
post #724 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Even if you send it 720p, the TV is still going to do some of it's own video conversion to the signal. Because the Fujitsu itself is really a 1366x768p native resolution set, which is not unusual as most all of the so called 720p plasmas are actually 768p sets. So you probably are best off with just running a little comparison test by sending it 1080i, and then try 720p. And then deciding which way looks the best.

the problem with plasmas as your suggesting john, is there is jsut no way to bypass the internal scaler. and especially if dealing with an older plasma particualrly with dvi inputs it can all be a bit hit and miss. I would add to johns suggestion to "suck and see" to find whats best

i've only had one go at trying the scaler on my hitachi plasma. havent played around but on the stock setting it made the picture a bit grainy ! will check out again when get some more time.

I suspect the avps excelelnt inbuilt scaler probably mroe use with something like a projector upscaling dvds or standard definition TV and the like.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #725 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i'm considering getting the avp.
i just bought the denon 3800 blu ray player and love it
using a lexicon mc-8 with a 5.1 setup
i mainly watch dvd's and tv thru my system
my other equipment includes
mccormack dna125 for center
conrad johnson for front
aragon for rear
martin logan descent sub
dynaudio contour speakers
will i be able to hear the difference?
is it worth the investment?
i have a new feeling towards denon since the 3800
i have never been a fan.
my dealer pushing towards a halcro
thanks barry
post #726 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone gotten around to translating the Denon IR codes to Pronto HEX codes? I just unpacked my new Pronto TSU-9600 and am preparing to program. There is a complete Denon IR code file on Denon's web-site, but I don't know how to translate to Pronto HEX codes.
post #727 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen View Post

i'm considering getting the avp.
i just bought the denon 3800 blu ray player and love it
my dealer pushing towards a halcro
thanks barry

Barry,

I owned the Halcro Prepro. It sounds nice, but I went through 3 units and still didn't get one that had working LPCM via HDMI. Others have had similar experiences, while some people get working units.

So, I got the Denon AVP. Everything worked perfectly as it should, and the sound quality is similar. IMO, which sounds better, comes down to personal preferences.

I'm quite happy with the Denon. No regrets at all. The HDMI implementation is rock solid, and the SQ is terrific.

Regards,
Darrell
post #728 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi got my denon A1HD amp on Monday everything working great. Very pleased with it. What blu-ray player are you using? Thinking of getting the denon 2500 but heard the Panasonic bd-30 is just as good for picture, but what about the sound?
Please help

Anthem D2v 3d Preamp & Arcam p777 power amp. oppo-103D .oppo 95: JVS DLA-X3 projector. Sub JL f113 fathem & 2 DIY SI HD 15 subs Dali Helicon 400 C200 phantom iw 200.Speakers cable talk excel 4.mark grant cables.
post #729 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post

Hi got my denon A1HD amp on Monday everything working great. Very pleased with it. What blu-ray player are you using? Thinking of getting the denon 2500 but heard the Panasonic bd-30 is just as good for picture, but what about the sound?
Please help

I'm not just yet, because I'm waiting for the DVP-A1HD
post #730 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 PM

I'm not just yet, because I'm waiting for the DVP-A1HD

I have the ps3 and the Sony bdp-s1es blu-ray player. The sound and picture is better on the Sony bdp-s1es blu-ray but it does not decode dtd HD master

Anthem D2v 3d Preamp & Arcam p777 power amp. oppo-103D .oppo 95: JVS DLA-X3 projector. Sub JL f113 fathem & 2 DIY SI HD 15 subs Dali Helicon 400 C200 phantom iw 200.Speakers cable talk excel 4.mark grant cables.
post #731 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post

Thinking of getting the denon 2500 but heard the Panasonic bd-30 is just as good for picture, but what about the sound?
Please help

There seems to a fairly broad suspicion that the Panasonic and Denon are essentially the same unit. Same guts anyway. Kris Deering, DVD reviewer for Secrets of HT & HiFi, wrote a great review of the Panny and has elsewhere indicated that the Denon is functionally very similar. His review is at http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cd-dv...ll-review.html
post #732 of 26315 Old 04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

A bit off topic, but Sony have announced version 2.30 update for the PS3 that adds dts HD Master Audio decoding. Good news for me as I am currently using the PS3 until Denon release the aforementioned DVP-A1HD.

See here.
post #733 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 AM

I must say the denon A1 HD 5308 is an amazing piece of equipment. I had meridian separates that cost £15000!the denon sounds better for home cinema! Not just as good for music but not that far behind it. I also had the Yamaha z11 to try but that was not as good as the denon for music or home cinema. I run the denon in 5.1 channels with the internal amps. I Bi-amp the front 2 speakers and use audyssey EQ for home cinema. My room is too small for 7.1 the sound is awesome love it. I am considering getting a denon blu-ray player but not just yet
Thanks

My system is.
Denon avc-a1HD amp. Sony bdp-s1es blu-ray. Sony ps3. Sony vpl-vw50 pearl projector. Panasonic 42 plasma TV. Dali helicon 400 fronts. Dali 200 center. And Dali in wall back speakers. Snell ps10 sub. Chord signature speaker cable and analogue cables. Isotek power supply and cables

post #734 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 284
At Last

got an AVP at home to try for a week or so: this thing is heavy!

HD FM radio (only source hooked up so far) sounds excellent

system is Aragon 3005 amp; 5 JM Labs speakers & ML Descent

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #735 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

At Last

Someone isn't going to get much sleep tonight.
post #736 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

There seems to a fairly broad suspicion that the Panasonic and Denon are essentially the same unit. Same guts anyway. Kris Deering, DVD reviewer for Secrets of HT & HiFi, wrote a great review of the Panny and has elsewhere indicated that the Denon is functionally very similar. His review is at http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cd-dv...ll-review.html

They use the same decoding solution (unipher) so that is why they are so similar. The Denon allows for channel trims via HDMI wheras the Panasonic doesn't. The Denon also ups the ante quite a bit in the build department. Video wise, I found them almost identical.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #737 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At Last

Too cool! Just wait till you listen to some CD's, streamed music, and Blu-ray's that have TrueHD and DTS-HD MA! I wouldn't be surprised if you end up liking this beast so much that you'll end up keeping it.

And yes it is a heavy sucker.

Keep us posted!

Seth
post #738 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

So I'm a new owner and on my 2nd night with the AVP. I'm not that impressed so far with the sound quality. I've only had it running for about 20 hours, but it sounds very mid-fi, very thin sounding in the upper mids and highs. I'm using Audyssey but starting to compare the sound with it off. I need to keep playing around, but just on stereo music, it does some weird things to the midrange (vocals sound receded, almost like I'm hearing more reverb than I should).

Quick question: does the unit support adjustments to sound in any way (e.g. tone, sub volume etc) without calling up and hunting it down in the full screen GUI?
post #739 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

So I'm a new owner and on my 2nd night with the AVP. I'm not that impressed so far with the sound quality. I've only had it running for about 20 hours, but it sounds very mid-fi, very thin sounding in the upper mids and highs. I'm using Audyssey but starting to compare the sound with it off. I need to keep playing around, but just on stereo music, it does some weird things to the midrange (vocals sound receded, almost like I'm hearing more reverb than I should).

Quick question: does the unit support adjustments to sound in any way (e.g. tone, sub volume etc) without calling up and hunting it down in the full screen GUI?

I am one of those people that you would categorize as a non- believer when it comes to sound manipulation by tweeking components, cables, etc... But I was astounded by the impact and grace of this preamp. It changed the sound "landscape" in my living room. I am intrigued by your statement. Perhaps you spoke too fast.
post #740 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

We all hear things different Ian, but I have to agree that it's odd that it sounds less than stellar to you. I have not had better sound in my house and that includes having Anthem and Krell in the past.

gthomas
post #741 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have to wonder if there isn't some basic setting that's off, or possibly something wrong with the unit. My own experience, and apparently that of many other on this thread, is just the opposite of yours. In fact, in my very first listen, the first thing I noticed was the amazing clarity and depth in the midrange as I listened to IZ Kamakawiwo'ole's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World." His voice and ukulele sounded richer and more defined than I'd ever heard them...I was simply floored.

Don't give up. Keep checking the settings. I know this thing is capable of much better than you're getting now.
post #742 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

OK, I'm getting better results. Somehow with music, Audyssey on just sounds weird. Turning it off gives much better results, although I enjoyed it with movies.
post #743 of 26315 Old 04-11-2008, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

thats right spearmint. pentium7 not visible in the pictures, however the avp I have sits on the bottom shelf of my rack and the avp is quite a deep unit whereas my rack & top shelves are infact quite shallow. As a result the back end of the avp (the bit that warms up) is actually sitting completely out in the open.

As spearmint has suggested, talking to him I still will look at fitting a couple of fans to aid air movement - a couple of large computer fans as he describes above the back end of the unit which should remove any point of concern.

it was interesting checking out norpus' avp. his sits completely in the open and the unit itself runs quite cool I think. there is a warm section towards the top back end of the unit. you guys in the us with the built in radio tuner down the top back might find yours getting a bit warmer because of that I dont know.

pentium7 how have you got your unit installed. mind posting some pics

ok have picked up some fans..see pic below,

basically two antec silent fans and an interesting looking "slot blower" thing. if you can imagine I plan to locate these over the back end of the avp, over hte section that I have poking out the back of my rack. the slot blower should be handy sucking/blowing air across the top fo the avp I think.

probably be a while before I set up as will need to make a little frame to hold the three that I can bolt onto my rack. Think i'll try find a little speed controller for the slot blower too as it is fixed speed unlike the antecs. Oh and I'll have to snip those blue LEDs off the fans ! unless I'm going for "fully sic" look hehe with blue backlighting to my system hehe

I've been checking temps I think its pretty fine on its own, however think these will add nicely as "belts and braces" especially once we start having some warmer days
LL

post #744 of 26315 Old 04-12-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:

ok have picked up some fans..see pic below,

basically two antec silent fans and an interesting looking "slot blower" thing. if you can imagine I plan to locate these over the back end of the avp, over hte section that I have poking out the back of my rack. the slot blower should be handy sucking/blowing air across the top fo the avp I think.

probably be a while before I set up as will need to make a little frame to hold the three that I can bolt onto my rack. Think i'll try find a little speed controller for the slot blower too as it is fixed speed unlike the antecs. Oh and I'll have to snip those blue LEDs off the fans ! unless I'm going for "fully sic" look hehe with blue backlighting to my system hehe

I've been checking temps I think its pretty fine on its own, however think these will add nicely as "belts and braces" especially once we start having some warmer days

Alebonau,
I too have heat issues due to poor ventilation. The case fans I chose are Cooler Master (R4-S2S-12AK-GP) Silent Fan - 120mm Black "no neon" LOL. They use a sleeve bearing design that is among the quietest on the market with a DBA rating of only 19.8 and are 44 cfm at 1200rpm each, I have them positioned together, centered over the back of the AVP and at this point the unit barely gets warm they work great... I haven't seen your installation but I would bet you don't even need the "slot blower". As I write this I noticed a 140mm case fan that is listed on the Global site and not the North American site, it is rated at an even lower 17.3 DBA, 53 CFM at 1000rpm. Here is the link in case you or anyone else might be interested.

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.html

Best Regards, Joe.
post #745 of 26315 Old 04-12-2008, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I'm getting better results. Somehow with music, Audyssey on just sounds weird. Turning it off gives much better results, although I enjoyed it with movies.

Good to hear that the results are getting better for you. I, like so many others here, am very impressed with the audio quality of the AVP. And the more I use it the more I'm enjoying it. So I'd say just give it some time.
post #746 of 26315 Old 04-12-2008, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh71 View Post

Alebonau,
I too have heat issues due to poor ventilation. The case fans I chose are Cooler Master (R4-S2S-12AK-GP) Silent Fan - 120mm Black "no neon" LOL. They use a sleeve bearing design that is among the quietest on the market with a DBA rating of only 19.8 and are 44 cfm at 1200rpm each, I have them positioned together, centered over the back of the AVP and at this point the unit barely gets warm they work great... I haven't seen your installation but I would bet you don't even need the "slot blower". As I write this I noticed a 140mm case fan that is listed on the Global site and not the North American site, it is rated at an even lower 17.3 DBA, 53 CFM at 1000rpm. Here is the link in case you or anyone else might be interested.

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.html

Best Regards, Joe.

hi joe, appreciate your post ! hehe with the slot blower the tim the tool man taylor "more power" got the hold of me and had to get it when saw one ! hehe

I'll take your advice and just try rig up the fans I have for starters and see how I go, will make it easier for mounting anyways. the guys at the electronics store were pretty nice saying I could return anything I didnt use/need so no probs returning the slot blower, will save me having to find a speed controller etc for it.

we can buy coolermaster here though not sure on that particuler fan, mine are the silent antecs and with a 3 speed fan control, seem pretty queit I'll mount them up see how they pan out.

ps joe if you get a chance would really appreciate if you could post a pic of how you have it all setup, anyone else doing the same would probably appreciate as well. thanks again for posting !

post #747 of 26315 Old 04-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

Someone isn't going to get much sleep tonight.

Quite true

the sound quality from the AVP is excellent: very smooth... I listened to some of my SACD collection last night and this piece makes a big improvement in sound quality in my system

--the unit runs warm on the top but the rest of the cabinet (after on for 18 hours) stays at a low temperature: certainly not an issue (have not installed in rack yet)

--the web interface is very nice: you can program this thing over a PC and see it change in the display

So far very good

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #748 of 26315 Old 04-12-2008, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quite true

the sound quality from the AVP is excellent: very smooth... I listened to some of my SACD collection last night and this piece makes a big improvement in sound quality in my system

--the unit runs warm on the top but the rest of the cabinet (after on for 18 hours) stays at a low temperature: certainly not an issue (have not installed in rack yet)

--the web interface is very nice: you can program this thing over a PC and see it change in the display

So far very good

good to hear your enjoying it mark, I havent tried it for sacd/multichannel or 2ch but loving it for blu-rays/dvd and tv

good to hear your not finding heat to be an issue so far either

post #749 of 26315 Old 04-12-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:

hi joe, appreciate your post ! hehe with the slot blower the tim the tool man taylor "more power" got the hold of me and had to get it when saw one ! hehe

I'll take your advice and just try rig up the fans I have for starters and see how I go, will make it easier for mounting anyways. the guys at the electronics store were pretty nice saying I could return anything I didnt use/need so no probs returning the slot blower, will save me having to find a speed controller etc for it.

we can buy coolermaster here though not sure on that particuler fan, mine are the silent antecs and with a 3 speed fan control, seem pretty queit I'll mount them up see how they pan out.

ps joe if you get a chance would really appreciate if you could post a pic of how you have it all setup, anyone else doing the same would probably appreciate as well. thanks again for posting !

I have the fans resting right on top of the AVP blowing upward, Again it works great for me, not sure how or if you need to do any mounting??? I will post pics soon along with a full review... I am installing my surround "B" in ceiling speakers today
post #750 of 26315 Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh71 View Post

I have the fans resting right on top of the AVP blowing upward, Again it works great for me, not sure how or if you need to do any mounting??? I will post pics soon along with a full review... I am installing my surround "B" in ceiling speakers today

do you mean just resting over some of the open vents on the top, drawing air out the top joe ?

yes please do post some pics if possible. and do very much look forward to your review. good luck with the install

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page