Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 254 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #7591 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Hmm you're right, I've also never seen a separate level adjustment for LFE. I wonder if there is one?

Re the update, you know I think you're right, it sure does sound like the last one we did. Thanks.

Seth

In normal use just press the enter/select button on the remote and the speaker levels come up on screen including sub level, then scroll down and set the sub level to what you want.

It can also be set in manual speaker settings in the setup menu....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post

In normal use just press the enter/select button on the remote and the speaker levels come up on screen including sub level, then scroll down and set the sub level to what you want.

It can also be set in manual speaker settings in the setup menu....

I think they were looking for a specific "LFE" level.....
post #7593 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 02:30 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I second that one!!! Calling them "the 68 min update," etc., seems pretty archaic these days.

I third it. I've actually told gene, hopefully he can let Jeff know and they can do something.

Frank

post #7594 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I second that one!!! Calling them "the 68 min update," etc., seems pretty archaic these days.

Well adding change comments to the update window would mean we don't need version numbers since it seems not all get the same 'updates'. You could just see what it fixes. They seem smart fellas don't understand why they don't do that maybe because they will only do them in english ?

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #7595 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 10:10 AM

So I got the Blu-Ray player to pass bitstream finally. I only got to hear about 30 seconds of a movie, but nice to know that my $7500 AVP sounds about 20x better than my $300 bluray player.

Now I need to update the firmware. I haven't done an update since June, what can I expect? I read that there's Dynamic Volume now, supposed to bereally good for movies? Anything else that people really like?
post #7596 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Zeejay, I bet your AVP/Mac combo rocks da house with DTS-HD MA.

Still waiting on mine... sigh...

Growing Older But Not Up
post #7597 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 402
With the release of the big Sony S5000ES blu-ray player, and the top dawg Pioneer Elite 09 coming out in Dec, Has there been any new word on the uber-Denon BD player?

Seth, has Gene perhaps dropped any hints on it.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #7598 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Hai,

Did not do the Dynamic Volume update sofar since well they wanted me to pay for it. But for dutch avp owners i bring good news after some talking with my dealer they now see the error of their logic and changed the upgrade rules. Dutch owners of avp's will get the upgrade code for free.

As part of their logic the new and updated avp's will now be called AVP-A1HDA.

Daniel.

post #7599 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

If you log onto your router, you'll find a place where you can assign static IPs to any of your devices. First you do it there, and then when you set up the AVP network parameters, use the IP address you assigned.

That very much depends on the router. On my router (Linksys BEFSR81), you can give it a range of addresses to use for DHCP and then you're free to do what you want with static IP's outside that range - just set the IP address on the device itself and no further configuration is needed on the router.
post #7600 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Well adding change comments to the update window would mean we don't need version numbers since it seems not all get the same 'updates'. You could just see what it fixes. They seem smart fellas don't understand why they don't do that maybe because they will only do them in english ?

Daniel.

I agree, but having run engineering departments, there is always a problem that the engineers report the fix from their viewpoint, i.e. the internals, not the way a customer would see it. So then you try to get a tech writer to turn their notes into something recognizable, but that means scheduling a tech writer, and delaying the release, etc.

And that's before you worry about language translations.

post #7601 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

With the release of the big Sony S5000ES blu-ray player, and the top dawg Pioneer Elite 09 coming out in Dec, Has there been any new word on the uber-Denon BD player?

Seth, has Gene perhaps dropped any hints on it.

Unfortunately things have been very tight lipped, and I've not seen so much as a leak of any info. I also haven't heard any word from Gene about the player. So I'm guessing that Denon is waiting until CES in January to release any info and the actual player. Until then all we can do is wait.

Seth
post #7602 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Unfortunately things have been very tight lipped, and I've not seen so much as a leak of any info. I also haven't heard any word from Gene about the player. So I'm guessing that Denon is waiting until CES in January to release any info and the actual player. Until then all we can do is wait.
Seth

I think they're busy building my universal "transport only" with Denon Link.

(Blu Ray, SACD, DVD-A, DVD & CD.)
post #7603 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBergan View Post

I agree, but having run engineering departments, there is always a problem that the engineers report the fix from their viewpoint, i.e. the internals, not the way a customer would see it. So then you try to get a tech writer to turn their notes into something recognizable, but that means scheduling a tech writer, and delaying the release, etc.

And that's before you worry about language translations.

Agreed i do the same work, But they already have the change notes they are now (later) posted. And its a problem they all have. I can't see apple releasing updates without any hints do you ?

Daniel.

post #7604 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Daniel.

They can bypass all these considerations, if they don't want to add change notes, and simply number or date the updates. Version numbers get tricky because there are so many modules that are differentially updated and have their own version numbers. I like the idea of date names, i.e., the "01-10-2008 Update."
post #7605 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They can bypass all these considerations, if they don't want to add change notes, and simply number or date the updates. Version numbers get tricky because there are so many modules that are differentially updated and have their own version numbers. I like the idea of date names, i.e., the "01-10-2008 Update."

Yeah, me too.

I'm in the middle of an 11 minute update that just showed up??
post #7606 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I'm in the middle of an 11 minute update that just showed up??

Interesting. I just checked yesterday and everything was up to date. Time to check again, I guess!
post #7607 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 PM

I just noticed the "68 minute" update is available on my AVP which is a US model in my apartment in NYC...downloading it now...

Anyone know what's in this one?
post #7608 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah maybe I missed it the first time around. Just to be sure I checked for another update after and it showed I was current. No 68 min one at this time.
post #7609 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right prog, Gene was looking for a specific LFE level adjustment.
post #7610 of 26341 Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeejayzee View Post

So I got the Blu-Ray player to pass bitstream finally. I only got to hear about 30 seconds of a movie, but nice to know that my $7500 AVP sounds about 20x better than my $300 bluray player.

Now I need to update the firmware. I haven't done an update since June, what can I expect? I read that there's Dynamic Volume now, supposed to bereally good for movies? Anything else that people really like?

Re Audyssey Dynamic Volume, I have found it to be superb for movies! Many only use it for TV watching, but I pretty much leave it on all the time for all sources except for music listening.

I have personally found that it has actually improved the auditory movie watching experience. I have found that directional effects are even more focused without being overpowering, and dialog is the best it has ever been. And on top of sounding great! you just set the volume where you want it and leave it there. No more having to raise and lower the volume. I think it's just the coolest thing!

Of the three settings ("Day" Evening" and "Midnight") I use Day. I'd say once you download the new feature, give it a try and see what you think.

Seth
post #7611 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeejayzee View Post

Thanks. Going to reset the parameters when I get home & we'll see.

Another issue I'm having is getting the Firmware Upgraded. I have the AVP hardwired to my router via ethernet, the router does see it and indicates that it's online. The AVP seems to know it's wired. But there's no ability to access the Firmware Upgrade function.

Anyone ever have this issue before? I'm stuck on an old version and really desperate to get it upgraded...

I had this problem when I used the ISP's gateway address instead of my routers, but if you are using DHCP, then this should not be an issue.

Chris
post #7612 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:

Gotcha. DOH!

Mind you - my setup only has LFE at the sub, so my sub level is lfe level...
post #7613 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Hai,

Just noticed something, I was trying to remove a sms-1 from my setup so was looking at how audyssey does the the sub eq. But once you run EQ (including sub ofcourse) and goto auto setup / parameter check/ eq check you
can see how it compensates all the speakers but not the sub(s) whats up with that how can i see how it corrects the sub?

Daniel.

post #7614 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hai,

Just noticed something, I was trying to remove a sms-1 from my setup so was looking at how audyssey does the the sub eq. But once you run EQ (including sub ofcourse) and goto auto setup / parameter check/ eq check you
can see how it compensates all the speakers but not the sub(s) whats up with that how can i see how it corrects the sub?

Daniel.

That's strange isn't it.
When I run the Audyssey Pro and bring up the results, it does show all three subs before and after correction.
Maybe you could temporarily hook up your SMS-1 through the Multi-Channel sub input and run a sweep with and without Audyssey engaged to get an idea of what it's doing if you're that concerned.
post #7615 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

That's strange isn't it.
When I run the Audyssey Pro and bring up the results, it does show all three subs before and after correction.
Maybe you could temporarily hook up your SMS-1 through the Multi-Channel sub input and run a sweep with and without Audyssey engaged to get an idea of what it's doing if you're that concerned.

Yeah but does it also show in the internal OSD display ?

Daniel.

post #7616 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Daniel.

Nope, I couldn't find it, which is why I said it was strange.
post #7617 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

New pic:
post #7618 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Re Audyssey Dynamic Volume, I have found it to be superb for movies! Many only use it for TV watching, but I pretty much leave it on all the time for all sources except for music listening.

I have personally found that it has actually improved the auditory movie watching experience. I have found that directional effects are even more focused without being overpowering, and dialog is the best it has ever been. And on top of sounding great! you just set the volume where you want it and leave it there. No more having to raise and lower the volume. I think it's just the coolest thing!

Of the three settings ("Day" Evening" and "Midnight") I use Day. I'd say once you download the new feature, give it a try and see what you think.

Seth

I was interested in your comments given my experiences with dynamic volume. Ever since I noticed dynamic range compression on the evening and midnight settings, I haven't used dynamic volume for movies, only TV.

In the light of your comments I will give it another go, but can you say whether you noticed a perceptible change to the overall dynamic range on this setting?
post #7619 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Daniel.

No it doesn't. Chris at Audyssey said every platform vendor decides what they will or will not show on their displays.

Denon chooses not to show the sub corrections. probably because most people would freak out at the amount of correction necessary.

The only way to see the effect of the SMS-1 is to use the Pro version, which does show all the sub measurements before and after.
post #7620 of 26341 Old 11-15-2008, 03:40 PM

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page