Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #811 of 26384 Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

...One question I have though is why does the volume only really increase after about 3/4 of the way through? Around -20 to -30 db it gets fairly loud but not until -5 to -10 db is it much louder. On the satelite we had recorded a "unplugged" video and I went all the way to 0 db before it was "loud" to me. Then went to Matrix Revolutions TrueHD 2.35:1 scope (had to say it) and at 2am wife said "I better go outside and see if this carries to the neighbors. You could hear it pretty clearly next door....

Decibel is a lotherithmic scale and not linerar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 26384 Old 04-14-2008, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:

Additional better pictures of speakers and TruHD display (loved seeing that) but more importantly loved hearing it.

That's a rock star setup.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #813 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

As promised additional pictures

Absolutely awesome equipment! Since you seem to be the ultimate Denon fanboy (that's not a criticism BTW) by having both the AVR and the AVP, have you thought about adding the 5910 player for DVD-Audio and SACD via Denon Link to the AVP?

And while I'm on the topic of suggesting additional things for you to spend money on , have you thought about adding one (or two) of these to your HD-DVR's: http://www.tenbox.net/index2.htm so you can have 2TB of storage for each DVR?
post #814 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

Will now do my 30 hour run-in period then do calibrations. Wife wants to hear the U-571 depth charges next plus it has bon jovi in it which is her favorite.

With that Sub you'll experience what they will experince when the depth charges explode, Just hang onto something.

Frank

post #815 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I finally got my AVP hooked up into my system and had a little time to play with it yesterday. I'm stumped on one problem: My HD TIVO box sends 1080i signal to the preamp, but the preamp is not up converting the signal to
1080p going to my 65" Panasonic Plasma monitor (TH-65PF9UK) or my JVC D-ILA projector. Does anyone have a clue as to how to get 1080i to 1080p conversion?
post #816 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

You find out your IP address on the amp.turn power save off.Type the IP address provided by the amp on your pc in IE and your in.They have a save feature which will save on the amp.

What I understand is that action will generate a backup file on the PC not onto the denon itself. with my original question i wanted to know if it would be possible to save different settings for each source, like to save audyssey flat (for example) with CD and audyssey for video/tv. how do I do that without the need of switching manually?
post #817 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fperra View Post

I finally got my AVP hooked up into my system and had a little time to play with it yesterday. I'm stumped on one problem: My HD TIVO box sends 1080i signal to the preamp, but the preamp is not up converting the signal to
1080p going to my 65" Panasonic Plasma monitor (TH-65PF9UK) or my JVC D-ILA projector. Does anyone have a clue as to how to get 1080i to 1080p conversion?

I should add that all the interconnects are HDMI.
post #818 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

What I understand is that action will generate a backup file on the PC not onto the denon itself. with my original question i wanted to know if it would be possible to save different settings for each source, like to save audyssey flat (for example) with CD and audyssey for video/tv. how do I do that without the need of switching manually?

Go to Auto Setup, Room EQ, then select ASSIGN.

Then select your source (i.e CD), then pick the EQ setting you want for CD. Do this for each source. Your choice for each source will be remembered automatically, as long as Room EQ = ASSIGN.

Regards,
Darrell
post #819 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Additional better pictures of speakers and TruHD display (loved seeing that) but more importantly loved hearing it.

Have you tried connecting the video output of your sub? Does it work? I can't seem to get the AVP to accept video from my Velodyne DD-15.
post #820 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I tried the Lexicon LX7 with thermostatically controlled fans: at high volume levels, the fans were so noisy that I could hear them over the music...then Lex announced a fix so I tried another: just as bad

Interesting, I never hear my LX-7 fans under any circumstances.
post #821 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester View Post

Absolutely awesome equipment! Since you seem to be the ultimate Denon fanboy (that's not a criticism BTW) by having both the AVR and the AVP, have you thought about adding the 5910 player for DVD-Audio and SACD via Denon Link to the AVP?

And while I'm on the topic of suggesting additional things for you to spend money on , have you thought about adding one (or two) of these to your HD-DVR's: http://www.tenbox.net/index2.htm so you can have 2TB of storage for each DVR?

Thank you! Actually yes I am completely out of room on my Salamander right now, I bought a PS3 for SACD and listened with wife last night to Floyd DSOTM 176 khz WOW the multichannel simply AMAZING, attached is a pic of the rears that I finally got up on the wall last night (wish I had more separation and a bigger room)

I was going to get the Denon 2500 BD player however it doesn't have everything I want and I'd just be selling it. DenonJeff said they have a "uber" player in the works and some have said it is DVP-A1HDCI but that's not confirmed. It is supposedly going to have SACD/DVD-A/BD/RJ45/BD2.0/DenonLink and maybe HDDVD. The price tag is supposed to be around 4K and that's why I have a Panny BD30 for now as it was cheap and it'll be easy to sell since it is analog out also more people can use it.

Currently I have the 1TB WD green drive (low heat and noise) added to one of my HR21s wanted to test and after 14 hrs of HD recording it only used 10% so based on that 130-140 hours of HD it must be utilizing that 1TB completely. I removed the cover and installed the drive so nothing external and if you noticed I have no room for additional items anywhere. I'll add another 1TB drive to other HR21 in a week or two when we can watch everything on the one with stock HDD. 2TB of total space between the 2 DVR is really plenty as I used to have 500GB on 1 and 250GB on the other.
LL
post #822 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Did you set video convert to on and digital upconvert to 1080p?
For some reason auto only converts to 1080i(at least thats what my 5308 does for 480i).
post #823 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:

With that Sub you'll experience what they will experince when the depth charges explode, Just hang onto something.

Wife said, please be careful, we did sample U-571 last night, it could be heard CLEARLY across the street!
post #824 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

Go to Auto Setup, Room EQ, then select ASSIGN.

Then select your source (i.e CD), then pick the EQ setting you want for CD. Do this for each source. Your choice for each source will be remembered automatically, as long as Room EQ = ASSIGN.

Regards,
Darrell

GoodSonics,
got it, thank you. I greatly appreciate your help.
post #825 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post

Have you tried connecting the video output of your sub? Does it work? I can't seem to get the AVP to accept video from my Velodyne DD-15.

I've got a dd15, I run direct to my display for the rca video signal out of it. travelling a the moment will try route it through the avp and let you know.

Quote:

Thank you! Actually yes I am completely out of room on my Salamander right now, I bought a PS3 for SACD and listened with wife last night to Floyd DSOTM 176 khz WOW the multichannel simply AMAZING, attached is a pic of the rears that I finally got up on the wall last night (wish I had more separation and a bigger room)

I was going to get the Denon 2500 BD player however it doesn't have everything I want and I'd just be selling it. DenonJeff said they have a "uber" player in the works and some have said it is DVP-A1HDCI but that's not confirmed. It is supposedly going to have SACD/DVD-A/BD/RJ45/BD2.0/DenonLink and maybe HDDVD. The price tag is supposed to be around 4K and that's why I have a Panny BD30 for now as it was cheap and it'll be easy to sell since it is analog out also more people can use it.

Currently I have the 1TB WD green drive (low heat and noise) added to one of my HR21s wanted to test and after 14 hrs of HD recording it only used 10% so based on that 130-140 hours of HD it must be utilizing that 1TB completely. I removed the cover and installed the drive so nothing external and if you noticed I have no room for additional items anywhere. I'll add another 1TB drive to other HR21 in a week or two when we can watch everything on the one with stock HDD. 2TB of total space between the 2 DVR is really plenty as I used to have 500GB on 1 and 250GB on the other.

pentium, good to hear your having fun with the velo DD1812 !

looking at that pic of the surrounds would love to know how your finding them. also wondering ? do they look a tad low for installation height. I usually find good to have surrounds maybe 600mm(2ft) above ear height otherwise tend to be little too in your ears and directional ?

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #826 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

I've got a dd15, I run direct to my display for the rca video signal out of it. travelling a the moment will try route it through the avp and let you know.

pentium, good to hear your having fun with the velo DD1812 !

looking at that pic of the surrounds would love to know how your finding them. also wondering ? do they look a tad low for installation height. I usually find good to have surrounds maybe 600mm(2ft) above ear height otherwise tend to be little too in your ears and directional ?

Well I had the option to raise them but I didn't want them to be too high, unfortunately the center seat is only approx 3.5 feet from each speaker if there was more room in between I'd have raised them higher as the angle wouldn't have been so great. We don't get optimal separation that's for sure.
post #827 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well I had the option to raise them but I didn't want them to be too high, unfortunately the center seat is only approx 3.5 feet from each speaker if there was more room in between I'd have raised them higher as the angle wouldn't have been so great. We don't get optimal separation that's for sure.

I don't think mine are much further apart than yours, but I have them less than a foot from the ceiling. I find this placement works really well, as the whole idea with bipolar (or tripolar) surrounds is that you not experience things like separation and directionality. It's just a fullness of sound in the back of the room. On the other hand, when the sound is supposed to move across the back of the room (like a helicopter, for example), they have enough space to handle that really well without blaring into one ear or the other.

If you feel the performance isn't optimal where they are, you ought to try moving them up. I know it's a pain, but with such outstanding equipment, you shouldn't settle for anything less than great sound.
post #828 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Are you running them directional or bipole?

Frank

post #829 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Are you running them directional or bipole?

Hmm, I guess I don't really understand the "bipole" definition. They are 5.1/7.1 speakers 2 tweeters 2 mid/woofers. So there is a switch on the back and 2 pair of wires run per speaker so I get 7.1 out of them, SR (5.1) on the inside and SBR (7.1) on the outside. Still trying to figure out a lot of settings on the AVP to get the most out of my system, using a feature for DD 5.1 now on the AVP that allows the additional SBR to be utilized, figured that out tonight.
post #830 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Hmm, I guess I don't really understand the "bipole" definition. They are 5.1/7.1 speakers 2 tweeters 2 mid/woofers. So there is a switch on the back and 2 pair of wires run per speaker so I get 7.1 out of them, SR (5.1) on the inside and SBR (7.1) on the outside. Still trying to figure out a lot of settings on the AVP to get the most out of my system, using a feature for DD 5.1 now on the AVP that allows the additional SBR to be utilized, figured that out tonight.

I have Biopole surrounds also they are on the side walls one speaker facing the room, and other facing backwards, so half the sound is direct, and half reflects off the wall creating a rear centre.Works very well especially if your sitting near the back wall.Im sitting near near the back wall also and have found by putting them on the side walls the rear soundstage is alive.

Frank

post #831 of 26384 Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Did you set video convert to on and digital upconvert to 1080p?
For some reason auto only converts to 1080i(at least thats what my 5308 does for 480i).

The video convert is set to on and upconvert to 1080p. I switched my Tivo output to 720p and that isn't upconverted either. It just passes through as 720p. Either I'm not doing something right or the preamp is messed up.
post #832 of 26384 Old 04-16-2008, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmm, I guess I don't really understand the "bipole" definition.
Still trying to figure out a lot of settings on the AVP to get the most out of my system, using a feature for DD 5.1 now on the AVP that allows the additional SBR to be utilized, figured that out tonight.
Pentium, the whole bipole/direct thing just refers to the type of speaker you're using. I made a little diagram that's hopefully attached; it's a lot more intuitive if you can just see how they work.
I know what you mean about the AVP settings- there's a lot to figure out. Generally, though, you tell a processor (or receiver) which type of surrounds you're using and then it tries to optimize its output based on that.

Not sure how this will work...I've never tried to attach a .pdf file before. I hope it helps.
Attachment 107706

Surround Diagram.pdf 67.3408203125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Surround Diagram.pdf (67.3 KB, 3 views)
post #833 of 26384 Old 04-16-2008, 01:50 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Pentium, the whole bipole/direct thing just refers to the type of speaker you're using. I made a little diagram that's hopefully attached; it's a lot more intuitive if you can just see how they work.
I know what you mean about the AVP settings- there's a lot to figure out. Generally, though, you tell a processor (or receiver) which type of surrounds you're using and then it tries to optimize its output based on that.

Not sure how this will work...I've never tried to attach a .pdf file before. I hope it helps.
Attachment 107706

Does the AVP have that facility, asking what type of surrounds?

Frank

post #834 of 26384 Old 04-16-2008, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the AVP have that facility, asking what type of surrounds?

Good question! I assumed that it does, but I haven't gotten that far as I've been replacing my surrounds, re-wiring, etc, and they aren't hooked up to the AVP yet. My last couple of receivers had that option, so I guess I assumed it was pretty standard fare. You've found no such setting?

Additional Comment: Franin, I just glanced through that part of the manual and indeed, there was no mention of speaker type. I suppose that was a more useful setting in pre-Audyssey days, no?
post #835 of 26384 Old 04-16-2008, 02:31 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I suppose that was a more useful setting in pre-Audyssey days, no?

I think your right! Audyssey takes care of most things now

Frank

post #836 of 26384 Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:

The video convert is set to on and upconvert to 1080p. I switched my Tivo output to 720p and that isn't upconverted either. It just passes through as 720p. Either I'm not doing something right or the preamp is messed up.

Easy fix: its set to upconvert only Analog input by default. You need to turn on the A&H and H&H check box, under source select. It will then start upconverting your HDMI sources as well.

Enjoy

Shahar
post #837 of 26384 Old 04-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you have the A-H, H-H setting correct?

If your input is Analog, then use A-H.
If your input is HDMI, then use H-H.

Darrell
post #838 of 26384 Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Help me out Darrell, on my display it says A to H and H to H and they are all together. I don't find the option to use A to H OR H to H.

gthomas
post #839 of 26384 Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

not really: it is the amount of heat produced: in a tight equipment room, fans or not, the heat generated by some amps is significant...even at idle...all a fan does is blow that heat around

When I build mine, I plan to have 2 vents, one up high and one down low, and a fan hooked up to the low one to draw cool air in.
post #840 of 26384 Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is Source Select->Video->Resolution set to Auto or 1080p? If auto, try 1080p. Also, is HDMI Setup->Monitor Out set to Auto? If so, try Monitor 1 or Monitor 2, whichever one is connected to the Plasma. If it thinks the JVC D-ILA projector is 1080i and everything is set to auto, then it would only output 1080i according to the manual page p. 32.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page