Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #901 of 26281 Old 04-18-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Seth,

This is very interesting. As the current owner of an RDC 7.1, I would be curious to know if you have formed an opinion on how the Denon sounds compared to your previous RDC 7 when both used the same digital inputs and the same digital processing functions?

For the HDMI 1.3 PrePros now / emerging on the market, I am very curious to know what the differences are in their AQ, and the magnitude of the differences, when each is fed the same digital signal over HDMI and does the same digital processing functions.

Bruce

Bruce,

Well, in my setup the Denon AVP is clearly a cut above in sonics over the RDC-7. I really liked the RDC-7, but I found the sonic character with digital sources (DVD, Sat, CD, LD, Minidisc) to be not a good match for my Martin Logan speakers. Movie soundtracks especially, were just too bright (even with THX Ultra engaged). This is why I later replaced it with a Sunfire TGIII (which was a perfect match for my ML's).

With cone based speakers with soft dome tweeters, the sound from the RDC-7 with digital sources was superb (not bright). So to be fair, I'd say that the RDC-7 does a fantastic job with digital sources, but it isn't a good match with Electrostatics and Planar Magnetic type speakers. The Denon's sonics in my system are closer to what I remember hearing with my Sunfire TGIII. But with the Denon I am hearing greater separation of sounds and more fine detail.

Seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

I see some people in other forums talking about using external DACs with their CD player, or buying "high end" CD players that have good DACs. I would think that is unecessary with a Prepro as nice as the Denon AVP. It seems to have excellent DACs.

So my question is: Are any of you using an External DAC, or the Analog outputs of a CD player? If so, could you let us know the device, and why/how is sounds better than using the Denon AVP for D-A-C?

Thanks,
Darrell

I didn't get any solid feedback on this. Should I assume that everyone is using digital outs from the CD, Universal, Transporter, and Sonos Players?

Thanks,
Darrell
post #903 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I didn't get any solid feedback on this. Should I assume that everyone is using digital outs from the CD, Universal, Transporter, and Sonos Players?

Thanks,
Darrell

Sorry, Darrell. I, for one am, perfectly happy with the AVP's DACs, so I run digital out from my Sonos. (I'm so enamored with the sound and convenience of networked music that I don't even keep a CD player hooked up anymore...I don't miss it all.)
post #904 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Sorry, Darrell. I, for one am, perfectly happy with the AVP's DACs, so I run digital out from my Sonos. (I'm so enamored with the sound and convenience of networked music that I don't even keep a CD player hooked up anymore...I don't miss it all.)

I took my CD player off the stack. I am using HDMI out from whatever I have, right now, a very slim OPPO. I am trying to downsize. I have to.

However, I will end up buying a music server, and I am very much oriented toward an Olive Opus n4 when it comes out, obviousily digital out to the AVP.

I have to add that even the FM sounds superb compared to my reference separate Tuner, first few days it was bright, but now...I am very impressed with that, very liquid and open... I took the separate tuner out the shelve as well.
post #905 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Darrell

I touched on this in some earlier posts. As I mentioned in my other post, I "had" my Sony CDP-XA20ES CD player connected via analog, but after doing some very extensive A/B comparisons between using digital (optical), and analog, I prefered the digital connection. So now I have the CD player connected via digital. And everything else (with the exception of my SACD/DVD-A player, which is analog out only) is connected via HDMI (Blu-ray, HD DVD, Satellite), or optical/coax digital (Minidisc, LD).
post #906 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hey MarkB that control cable that connects to the AVP and POA, does that also turn the power amp on? I know the 12v trigger usually but just want to know if also triggers the power on.

Yes, it puts the POA into standby when the AVP goes into standby. Not only that, but the firmware of the POA can be upgraded through it and all the settings (XLR in, bridged mode etc) can also be controlled via the AVP menu as well.
post #907 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

I'm ordering AVP on monday Thus has to make myself some
DIY balanced signal cables, XLR.

What's best cable to go for? a cable with 3 wires and a shield or 2 wires + shield ? That I have been thinking on is that 3 wired cable one for + one for - and one for gnd, then connect shield to one end of cable's gnd either pre or amp (?)... Thinking about to buy 100 meter of this cable or 200. Plan is to have poweramps close by speakers = shorter speakercables 20-30 cm.
post #908 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

OK. New stand is in place. Oak, Black ash and granite.

post #909 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post

very nice mark. can I ask who makes the particular stand ? looks very modular whihc is great really to suit the equiment you have . any link to manufacturer info ? by any chance

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #910 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

very nice mark. can I ask who makes the particular stand ? looks very modular whihc is great really to suit the equiment you have . any link to manufacturer info ? by any chance

Yes, I designed the rack and Bradley of http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/ built it for me.

post #911 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I designed the rack and Bradley of http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/ built it for me.

thanks mark. fantastic a rack such as that can be designed and built for you ! is absolutely perfect I think for your setup. now wonder if they export or have agents in oz ! hehe

ps just a quick look at yoru stup. wondering have you considered maybe tryin a rug on the floor in front of the speakers. jsut to see it it helps brighten the room a tad less ?

the curtain you have to the right would help in some regard though over the window I imagine ?

post #912 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik View Post

I'm ordering AVP on monday Thus has to make myself some DIY balanced signal cables, XLR.

What's best cable to go for? a cable with 3 wires and a shield or 2 wires + shield ? That I have been thinking on is that 3 wired cable one for + one for - and one for gnd, then connect shield to one end of cable's gnd either pre or amp (?)... Thinking about to buy 100 meter of this cable or 200. Plan is to have poweramps close by speakers = shorter speakercables 20-30 cm.

I make my own as well, and I use a Mogami Star-Quad cable called the W2534. I twist the 2 blues for [+], the 2 clears for [-], and twist the copper wrap into a ground that's soldered to the ground pin. The ground should just be on Pin1 at both ends in a balanced system.

100-200m of interconnect cable is awful lot, unless you plan on setting up a zone in the neighbor's house!

Comment: I'm sorry I didn't directly answer your question. Either option you describe would work, but in both cases, you'll need to make a continuous ground between Pin1 on each end. With three wires, you'd tin one wire to the shield to form your ground on each end. With a two-wire cable, you twist and tin the shield alone. I don't know of any advantage to having that separate ground conductor, but I don't know of any disadvantage either, aside from being a more mechanically vulnerable connection.
post #913 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

I make my own as well, and I use a Mogami Star-Quad cable called the W2534. I twist the 2 blues for [+], the 2 clears for [-], and twist the copper wrap into a ground that's soldered to the ground pin. The ground should just be on Pin1 at both ends in a balanced system.

100-200m of interconnect cable is awful lot, unless you plan on setting up a zone in the neighbor's house!

another option if going for that sort of lenghts is to use inexpensive mic leads as used by the pro's you can usually buy these from "band" or "music" shops.

post #914 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

another option if going for that sort of lenghts is to use inexpensive mic leads as used by the pro's you can usually buy these from "band" or "music" shops.

The Mogami W2534 is a mic cable, though not an inexpensive one. It is essentially the same type of cable that companies like Blue Jeans Cable use in their balanced XLR cables (they actually use Canare Star-Quad, a very similar cable....)
post #915 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

MarkB, do you use a center channel? I didn't see one in the picture. Nice set up!!

gthomas
post #916 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

MarkB, do you use a center channel? I didn't see one in the picture. Nice set up!!

I was curious about this as well. Love the new AV rack, it looks awesome! Your whole setup looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Now we want to see some system pix from the rest of you AVP owners out there.
post #917 of 26281 Old 04-19-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurli View Post

i simply upgrade the fw,there is no information provided

I upgraded the fw too. Took 3 minutes to download and about 5 mins to instal. Cannot make out any difference. Btw, is there any way to identify the fw version in the AVP A1HD?
post #918 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks mark. fantastic a rack such as that can be designed and built for you ! is absolutely perfect I think for your setup. now wonder if they export or have agents in oz ! hehe

ps just a quick look at yoru stup. wondering have you considered maybe tryin a rug on the floor in front of the speakers. jsut to see it it helps brighten the room a tad less ?

the curtain you have to the right would help in some regard though over the window I imagine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

You are correct - the room is not finshed and we have not found a rug that we agree on at the moment! In any case the room is a stop gap until the extension is built then i will have much more room. I do not use a centre speaker at the moment but this is on the cards during my next set of AV purchases. Most likely the HTM2D but I have not discounted the HTM1D either.
post #919 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenBishop View Post

I upgraded the fw too. Took 3 minutes to download and about 5 mins to instal. Cannot make out any difference. Btw, is there any way to identify the fw version in the AVP A1HD?

Stephen,

Where are you located? so far, I have only heard of the firmware being available in the UK and Asia.

When I Check For Updates, it says Please Wait..., then doesn't do anything. I know I have my Network setup up properly, since I can access Rhapsody without any problem.

Have any other people in the US, checked for updates? IF so, do you get stuck at Please Wait....?

Thanks,
Darrell
post #920 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

Yes, it puts the POA into standby when the AVP goes into standby. Not only that, but the firmware of the POA can be upgraded through it and all the settings (XLR in, bridged mode etc) can also be controlled via the AVP menu as well.

So no need for a 12v trigger then, Thanks MarkB.just getting ready and trying to chase a long one.

Frank

post #921 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are correct - the room is not finshed and we have not found a rug that we agree on at the moment! In any case the room is a stop gap until the extension is built then i will have much more room. I do not use a centre speaker at the moment but this is on the cards during my next set of AV purchases. Most likely the HTM2D but I have not discounted the HTM1D either.

Mark,

I have a similar setup to you AVP, 802Ds up front, 804S in the rear, and I am currently running a HTM2D for the center. The HTM2D is a nice center and blends well with the 802Ds. OCcasionally though, the midrange sounds a little confined.

If I could find a good deal (used perhaps) on a HTM1D, I would give it a demo. I think the HTM1D would be a slight improvement. On 5.1 music and many movies, the Center channel carries a bigger load than the fronts.

If you have the $$$, and a little extra room, I demo the HTM1D if you can.

Darrell
post #922 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Looks very nice MarkB!

Frank

post #923 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So no need for a 12v trigger then, Thanks MarkB.just getting ready and trying to chase a long one.

Quote:

Looks very nice MarkB!

Thank you Franin. When you say chase a long one - do you mean trigger cable?

Quote:

Mark,

I have a similar setup to you AVP, 802Ds up front, 804S in the rear, and I am currently running a HTM2D for the center. The HTM2D is a nice center and blends well with the 802Ds. OCcasionally though, the midrange sounds a little confined.

If I could find a good deal (used perhaps) on a HTM1D, I would give it a demo. I think the HTM1D would be a slight improvement. On 5.1 music and many movies, the Center channel carries a bigger load than the fronts.

If you have the $$$, and a little extra room, I demo the HTM1D if you can.

Darrell

Darrell,

I am getting that message a lot from everyone that I talk to - the HTM1D is the way to go. It is just the size of the thing! My dealer had it set up with 800Ds but he sold it before I had a chance to listen to it. I will ask him if he is getting another one and I will give it a listen.

Mark
post #924 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Although they cannot probably be used via the remote, can I assume that it is possible to rename any of the inputs or are there limits as to which inputs can be used for what source?

In naming inputs (DVD for eg.), is it confined to DVD1, DVD2, DVD3 or can they be renamed anything desired as long as they are limited to"x" number of alphanumeric characters?

Thanks

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
post #925 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post

Although they cannot probably be used via the remote, can I assume that it is possible to rename any of the inputs or are there limits as to which inputs can be used for what source?

In naming inputs (DVD for eg.), is it confined to DVD1, DVD2, DVD3 or can they be renamed anything desired as long as they are limited to"x" number of alphanumeric characters?

Thanks

MikeSp

you can rename any of 14 inputs each up to 8 alpha/numeric characters

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #926 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

you can rename any of 14 inputs each up to 8 alpha/numeric characters

Thanks Mark -- that was good news. Now IF I can just get up enough nerve to buy one -- I try to make such purchases VERY carefully and this one looks like a winner.

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
post #927 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:

Stephen,

Where are you located? so far, I have only heard of the firmware being available in the UK and Asia.

When I Check For Updates, it says Please Wait..., then doesn't do anything. I know I have my Network setup up properly, since I can access Rhapsody without any problem.

Have any other people in the US, checked for updates? IF so, do you get stuck at Please Wait....?

Thanks,
Darrell

Darrell

I am in Singapore.
post #928 of 26281 Old 04-20-2008, 10:08 PM

when avpa1hd o/p to marantz 11s2 projector via hdmi
video convert of avpa1hd set to on, resolution set to auto,why is that the resolution op of avp a1hd auto set to 1080i, not 1080p?
but set i change the display to pioneer 50"plasma lx 508g, op is 1080p

Regards
Arthur
post #929 of 26281 Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you Franin. When you say chase a long one - do you mean trigger cable?

Sorry mate, I meant to write saves me from chasing to buy a long 12v trigger cable.I read that the control cable is 3m long so thats all I need.

Frank

post #930 of 26281 Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 AM

After the AVP-A1HD update DTS-MA 7.1 works perfectly
My PS3 is hooked up to the DVDO VP0Pro an then to the AVP-A1
7.1 PCM only went as 5.1 PCM into the AVP before the update

thanks Denon!

PerS
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page