Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1081 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

There are, but what that programmer is doing by repeating the codes each time the button is pressed doesn't make sense.

what I use in the RTI software is the command:

'repeat command as long as button is pressed'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Does anyone know what the firmware upgrade does for the AVP? Any benefits?

Franin,

I haven't seen any list of things it was supposed to update. I noticed it did wipe out my Audyssey setup, and I had to re-enter my disance, and speaker size settings. Oddly enough, every other setting seems to be intact.

The Network signal seems to be a little more stable, but the key word there is SEEMS. I don't know if anything was actaully done there.

It would nice to know what was in the update. I have no idea why Denon wouldn't post a Release.txt file that list the changes.

Darrell
post #1083 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

what I use in the RTI software is the command:

'repeat command as long as button is pressed'

Below is an email response from the installer....Give opinions please on anyone using remote controllers with rs232 and volume up/down is fast. Did you have to do anything special like he says below? "Had to use their own workarounds?" Thanks guys.

From installer email:

"We programmed the system originally without doubling the codes which was not fast enough for you. That is why he tried the double codes. People can sit on the forum all day and say this is the way it is on paper or works in my system and it is not the same of being on site. The avs forum is helpful sometimes but they are not sitting in your house with your equipment. None of the things you sent me are things that we have not tried. If we put you on ir you will not lose anything right now and it will speed up like you want. The only thing you will not have which is not available anyways right now is discrete radio stations in hd.If we put the system on ir for now you will not lose anything and when we find a solution to the rs232 we can fix it. As you can see people with crestron and rti have had to use their own workarounds of repeat commands for volume to get things workings which means it is not just a problem with your particular system."
post #1084 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 354
a lot of folks have RS232 volume ramp issues depending on the control system and the component: I had to try several different methods until I got the AVP volume ramp to work properly

in the meantime, I used IR commands for the volume ramps: nothing wrong with that

[and yes: workarounds are done all the time]

more: you can use IR for volume, and still use RS232 for other commands
post #1085 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

I thought expensive remotes where supposed to make things easier.

You guys are having to go to a lot of work on this one.

Good Luck.
post #1086 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

There is one feature I would like to verify from an owner:

The Denon DVD-3800BDCI can apply the Reon picture adjustments to 1080p signals. Apparently, the Reon in the AVP cannot do this, because on page 54 of the manual, it states: "When input signal is 1080p the "Picture Adjust" setting will be ineffective".

Would someone please confirm if this is indeed the case?

I am trying to decide whether or not to return my 3800, and this piece of information would be helpful in making the decision.

Thanks.

Mark

I figured I needed to get this question on this page, in case nobody sees it. Can someone test this for me...PLEASE?

Thanks.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1087 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:

I figured I needed to get this question on this page, in case nobody sees it. Can someone test this for me...PLEASE?

Thanks.

Mark

I tried applying the NR and Detail enhancement to max but see no effect so I guess it bypass the 1080p input signal . Oh , btw, both 3800 and AVR using Realta and not Reon
post #1088 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks.

Mark

While I don't own the 3800 player I do have the 2500BTCI. I know that adjustments I made in the Denon AVP using a 1080p input from Blu-ray made no discernable difference in PQ (which is to say that the native 1080p signal went through untouched). With other resolutions however, there is clearly a difference, and any adjustment is visually apparent. So I would have to say that what is stated in the Denon manual is accurate.

If you do want Realta processing done on 1080p signals I would say that getting the 3800 that has it built into the player is the way to go. It's similar to the Reon in the Toshiba XA2, I can do processing in the player. So if you want full flexibility with 1080p get the 3800.

Seth

post #1089 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Yeo View Post

I tried applying the NR and Detail enhancement to max but see no effect so I guess it bypass the 1080p input signal . Oh , btw, both 3800 and AVR using Realta and not Reon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

While I don't own the 3800 player I do have the 2500BTCI. I know that adjustments I made in the Denon AVP using a 1080p input from Blu-ray made no discernable difference in PQ (which is to say that the native 1080p signal went through untouched). With other resolutions however, there is clearly a difference, and any adjustment is visually apparent. So I would have to say that what is stated in the Denon manual is accurate.

If you do want Realta processing done on 1080p signals I would say that getting the 3800 that has it built into the player is the way to go. It's similar to the Reon in the Toshiba XA2, I can do processing in the player. So if you want full flexibility with 1080p get the 3800.

Seth

Thanks Guys. I know it is the Realta in both, but I guess my brain is not cooperating today.

It is interesting that the picture adjustment settings are selectable and adjustable versus "grayed out".

I guess I will keep the 3800 then.

Mark

post #1090 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

Franin,

I haven't seen any list of things it was supposed to update. I noticed it did wipe out my Audyssey setup, and I had to re-enter my disance, and speaker size settings. Oddly enough, every other setting seems to be intact.

The Network signal seems to be a little more stable, but the key word there is SEEMS. I don't know if anything was actaully done there.

It would nice to know what was in the update. I have no idea why Denon wouldn't post a Release.txt file that list the changes.

Darrell

Thanks, for me it's really not worth doing.

Frank

post #1091 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

There is one feature I would like to verify from an owner: The Denon DVD-3800BDCI can apply the Reon picture adjustments to 1080p signals. Apparently, the Reon in the AVP cannot do this, because on page 54 of the manual, it states: "When input signal is 1080p the "Picture Adjust" setting will be ineffective".

Mark

Quote:

Thanks Guys. I know it is the Realta in both, but I guess my brain is not cooperating today. It is interesting that the picture adjustment settings are selectable and adjustable versus "grayed out". I guess I will keep the 3800 then.

Mark

Didn't we already go through this a few days ago?
post #1092 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guys now im not getting any dts hd master all

This is no good at all!

What BD player? Any chance it needs an update for some new feature the Golden Compass is using?
post #1093 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:

now Dolby true HD don't go either.I've tried in 3 different players and now they don't work.I did nothing different.

Did you set anything other than Standard in the AVP audio options?
post #1094 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it's like the amp now cant decode any of the new audio formats, can someone help me.I can't understand this.

I don't know how it's done off the top of my head, but there's a way to reset the AVP. Maybe try saving your settings (or not if they're messed up) and doing a system reset?

PAGE 72 in the manual.
post #1095 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is that in the menu settings?

Page 72 in the manual
post #1096 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the new audio chips aren't fried are they?

Now, now. This is no time for panic Try the reset.
post #1097 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Didn't we already go through this a few days ago?

Despite the fact that I keep typing Reon instead of Realta, nobody verified the manual was correct...until today.

Mark

post #1098 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Now, now. This is no time for panic Try the reset.

I agree maybe the AVP needs a "reset" mainboard in it or something along those lines... If it doesn't make sense "reboot" time.
post #1099 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Despite the fact that I keep typing Reon instead of Realta, nobody verified the manual was correct...until today.

Mark

Fair enough. I'm just curious, what display are you using, and what video adjustments do you make (want to make) to the 1080p signal? Even though it kind of annoys me that we often have to buy so many redundant capabilities in our players, processors, and displays, most good displays now offer a lot of picture adjustments that might accomplish the same thing. Since you're not scaling the picture, I'm assuming it's more the color, tone, NR-type adjustments?
post #1100 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did nothing and now it seems to work! Bloody hell!

What does that mean? Does it turn on? Will it play any sources?

OOPS, SORRY. I misread and thought you said NOTHING worked. Glad everything's okay now.
post #1101 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:

Fair enough. I'm just curious, what display are you using, and what video adjustments do you make (want to make) to the 1080p signal? Even though it kind of annoys me that we often have to buy so many redundant capabilities in our players, processors, and displays, most good displays now offer a lot of picture adjustments that might accomplish the same thing. Since you're not scaling the picture, I'm assuming it's more the color, tone, NR-type adjustments?

I want the capability to use (with a 1080p signal) what the Realta does best...the noise reduction algorithms. Well, at least I want the capability. I know there should be no noise with 1080p, but there you have it.

I have a Vidikron Vision 80, which requires a video processor to operate. I use the VP to make all my black level, contrast, and color adjustment.

Mark

post #1102 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am not sure this has been covered before... My apology for that...
I am thinking to get a subwoofer to help to very bottom end of my full range speakers that go down to 22hz. Now, I want to be able to crossover the sub(s) at about 25hz. Would that be possible with the AVP? My understanding is that the lowest setting is 40hz, maybe I did not understand it I hope... The sub's crossover, to make it more challenging, goes as low as 30hz. Any toughts?
post #1103 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

I am thinking to get a subwoofer to help to very bottom end of my full range speakers that go down to 22hz. Now, I want to be able to crossover the sub(s) at about 25hz. Would that be possible with the AVP? My understanding is that the lowest setting is 40hz, maybe I did not understand it I hope... The sub's crossover, to make it more challenging, goes as low as 30hz. Any toughts?

I wanted to do a similar thing as my Speakers are good down to 27hz. On a couple of previous Prepro, I had crossed at 25hz or 30hz and got great results. This is the only feature I miss from other prepros I have found with the Denon AVP.

If you are purely a two channel guy, you could just setup your sub to accept signals from 25hz and down, and run your speakers as Large. But, as you have the AVP, I am guessing you do milti channel too.

For muliti chanell, the options seem to be:

1) Run the speakers as small and cross at 40hz instead of 25hz.
2) Run spekaers as Large, Sub as LFE+Main, crossover at 40hz. The may produce a peak from 22hz - 40hz for you though. Depending on your room, it may sound ok.
3) I don't know if you can buy 2 subs and set one up to do the LFE duties, and to set the other to just deal with the 25hz and lower frequencies. This would be an expensive solution.

Personally, I have an SMS-1, so I use option 1 for multi-channel, and the 2CH option I listed for 2CH listening. It is a 1-button press on the SMS remote to switch back and forth.

Sorry, I don't know of any easy answers. I wish Denon would offer a 30hz crossover point. It sure would make things easier for us.

Darrell
post #1104 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I would just set the AVP at 40 Hz, and the sub xover at some higher level so it does not get involved. Chances are that the sub will do better than your mains at 40Hz anyway, plus you will have more power for the mains over 40 Hz.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
post #1105 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

I wanted to do a similar thing as my Speakers are good down to 27hz. On a couple of previous Prepro, I had crossed at 25hz or 30hz and got great results. This is the only feature I miss from other prepros I have found with the Denon AVP.

If you are purely a two channel guy, you could just setup your sub to accept signals from 25hz and down, and run your speakers as Large. But, as you have the AVP, I am guessing you do milti channel too.

For muliti chanell, the options seem to be:

1) Run the speakers as small and cross at 40hz instead of 25hz.
2) Run spekaers as Large, Sub as LFE+Main, crossover at 40hz. The may produce a peak from 22hz - 40hz for you though. Depending on your room, it may sound ok.
3) I don't know if you can buy 2 subs and set one up to do the LFE duties, and to set the other to just deal with the 25hz and lower frequencies. This would be an expensive solution.

Personally, I have an SMS-1, so I use option 1 for multi-channel, and the 2CH option I listed for 2CH listening. It is a 1-button press on the SMS remote to switch back and forth.

Sorry, I don't know of any easy answers. I wish Denon would offer a 30hz crossover point. It sure would make things easier for us.

Darrell

I am still considering the A1HD and noticed that you use an SMS-1. Do you use the A1HD's Audyssey functions in addition to the SMS-1? (I was thinking that I could discontinue use of my SMS-1 since the A1HD can run 3 subs).

Thoughts/opinions?

MikeSp

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
post #1106 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Velodyne 1812 is your sub it will go into the single digit hz :-)
post #1107 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

Velodyne 1812 is your sub it will go into the single digit hz :-)

I think I read that walruses might be able to detect those frequencies, so if you're having any over for dinner and a flick, man will they be impressed!
post #1108 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I think I read that walruses might be able to detect those frequencies, so if you're having any over for dinner and a flick, man will they be impressed!

It is not about hearing the sub at those frequencies, it is all about feeling it

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1109 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

For music a lower crossover point makes sense but for movies 60 hz should probably be about the lowest if you have quality subwoofers. The JL Audio Fathom F113 is about the best sub I have ever heard but is best used in multiples of at least 2 or more. You would be surprised how musical the Fathom sounds as well and may find a 60 hz crossover point for music to your liking.

With a proper EQ like the Velodyne SMS-1 it is much easier to integrate a subwoofer into a system and free your mains to better reproduce mid-bass and above.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1110 of 26370 Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp View Post

I am still considering the A1HD and noticed that you use an SMS-1. Do you use the A1HD's Audyssey functions in addition to the SMS-1? (I was thinking that I could discontinue use of my SMS-1 since the A1HD can run 3 subs).

Thoughts/opinions?

MikeSp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

For music a lower crossover point makes sense but for movies 60 hz should probably be about the lowest if you have quality subwoofers. The JL Audio Fathom F113 is about the best sub I have ever heard but is best used in multiples of at least 2 or more. You would be surprised how musical the Fathom sounds as well and may find a 60 hz crossover point for music to your liking.

With a proper EQ like the Velodyne SMS-1 it is much easier to integrate a subwoofer into a system and free your mains to better reproduce mid-bass and above.

I have an AVP on order. I currently have an MC-12b EQ and last year bought two Velodyne DD-15 subs. I asked this question of other Lexicon owner's last year.

The conclusion for me and one other Lex/Velo owner was to use the Velo EQ system to EQ the subs, and then run the Lex Auto EQ process.

I also discussed it with Curt from Velodyne, and he agreed that was probably the best way to do it. I plan to do the same with the AVP...when I get it.

Mark

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page