Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #121 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Hey everybody,

I just got a call from my salesperson (whom I've worked with for 20 yrs and trust in these matters). He had sent off a message to his Denon rep on Friday when I contacted him about the VP board issue report.

Bottom line: The rep contacted Jeff Talmadge (DenonJeff), who as North American product manager would know about these things, and he knows of no problem or recall with the AVP-A1HDCI. They are, in fact, interested in where this info is coming from as they are concerned it's a competitor rumor or that sort of thing, and want to squash it.

I'm satisfied that these are people who know what they're talking about, so I'm assuming that report was either just a rumor run amok or the work of someone in the info chain with another agenda.

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Few days ago I posted my brief experience about the purchase/delay of the AVP. I bought it last week from a reputable dealer that assured me that the unit was ready to be shipped. So I made the payment. Two days after, interestingly the same day when on this forum leaked the “VP issue”, I called the dealer and he told me the unit was put on back order, and that made me think a little bit. However the dealer was more then helpful so I wasn’t worried much. Today it has been communicated to me that the package it’s on the way and it was shipped the day after the dealer told me that it was on back order. Go figure, pure coincidence I assume …can’t wait!!
post #123 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi All,
I have been following this thread with great interest. Unfortunately, I can't find a dealer in the Chicago area who will be stocking these. I'm planning on replacing my Theta Casablanca 3, but my question is to the video side. I currently am using a Lumagen HD Pro for scaling and video switching. How are the scaling and switching abilities of the Denon.

Thanks,
David Shapiro

DES
post #124 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

You really can't find anyone in Chicago who will carry the AVP A1HD? That's pretty hard to believe!! PM me and I'll tell you a dealer who can help you.

gthomas
post #125 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious George View Post

I'm onboard now too!

First basic tests are all good, 7.1 output works but the display shows Dolby PLII or Multi-Channel when I put a DTS HD-MA disc in

Has anyone tried a DTS HD-MA disc? if so what comes up on the AVPs display for you?

Cheers,

Curious

Congrats on the AVP! Welcome aboard!

I have tried out various DTS-HD MA Blu-ray discs, and all of them show up in the DVP's display as DTS-HD MA. The other night I watched the Blu-ray of Hitman, which has a 5.1 DTS-HD MA track and it was displayed as DTS-HD MA. The only thing I have not yet tried is a 7.1 DTS-HD MA Blu-ray. I have Rush Hour 3 Blu-ray on order, and once I get it I will be able to see how 7.1 DTS-HD MA sounds. I'm sure it's going to sound amazing!

Seth
post #126 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

Few days ago I posted my brief experience about the purchase/delay of the AVP. I bought it last week from a reputable dealer that assured me that the unit was ready to be shipped. So I made the payment. Two days after, interestingly the same day when on this forum leaked the VP issue, I called the dealer and he told me the unit was put on back order, and that made me think a little bit. However the dealer was more then helpful so I wasn't worried much. Today it has been communicated to me that the package it's on the way and it was shipped the day after the dealer told me that it was on back order. Go figure, pure coincidence I assume can't wait!!

Too cool! Congrats!
post #127 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post

Hi All,
I have been following this thread with great interest. Unfortunately, I can't find a dealer in the Chicago area who will be stocking these. I'm planning on replacing my Theta Casablanca 3, but my question is to the video side. I currently am using a Lumagen HD Pro for scaling and video switching. How are the scaling and switching abilities of the Denon.

Did you try giving ABT in Glenview a call? They are pretty well up there in regards to stocking and having demos available for many different high end products. I would be somewhat surprised if they did not even plan on getting at least one for a demo unit. Otherwise I would probably also try Barretts. Of course I know of few other places in the suburbs of Chicago that could and would be more than happy to order one for you and probably for a decent price, but I'm not so sure that they plan on stocking them. Only one other place that I can think of offhand with a very very slim chance of maybe having one for demo, is Sounds Deluxe in either their Claredon Hills or Naperville store.
post #128 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Congrats on the AVP! Welcome aboard!

I have tried out various DTS-HD MA Blu-ray discs, and all of them show up in the DVP's display as DTS-HD MA. The other night I watched the Blu-ray of Hitman, which has a 5.1 DTS-HD MA track and it was displayed as DTS-HD MA. The only thing I have not yet tried is a 7.1 DTS-HD MA Blu-ray. I have Rush Hour 3 Blu-ray on order, and once I get it I will be able to see how 7.1 DTS-HD MA sounds. I'm sure it's going to sound amazing!

Seth

I am greatly excited to hear some DTS-HD MA 7.1 as well. I've found not too many bluray titles with great audio though, very few 7.1 and don't see too many with TrueHD or DTS-HD... However the audio will be a major decision for my movie purchases from now on, honestly I don't see myself buying too many bluray movies for a bit, the high 25-35 price tags are just ridiculous.

I'll be buying all available favorites on HD DVD for a while they are $8-$15 typically now and most are in TrueHD
post #129 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

I am greatly excited to hear some DTS-HD MA 7.1 as well. I've found not too many bluray titles with great audio though, very few 7.1 and don't see too many with TrueHD or DTS-HD... However the audio will be a major decision for my movie purchases from now on, honestly I don't see myself buying too many bluray movies for a bit, the high 25-35 price tags are just ridiculous.

I'll be buying all available favorites on HD DVD for a while they are $8-$15 typically now and most are in TrueHD

you'll be surpised how many titles have dts-hdma, truehd or pcm lossless tracks. even watching crash on blu-ray with its dts-es 6.1 track was excellent. 7.1 I've really only experienced on hd-dvd with the music discs you can buy on that format and pans labyrinth which had a lovely sound track with good use of surrounds. sold off all my hddvds and the player though. so solely blu-ray now ! keep a look out on amazon for their sales. think the 50% off sale on blu-rays is still on if I'm not wrong.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #130 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Actually I found the reverse to be true. HD DVD really lacked as far as high bit rate audio like TrueHD. Blu-ray on the other hand has really excelled at providing mostly DTS-HD MA with Fox titles and the rest from Sony and Disney with lossless PCM which is the same as TrueHD and DTS-HD MA just already unzipped.

For audio lovers the right format won!

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #131 of 26283 Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:

Its funny I don't really notice the difference, or maybe it's just I don't go listening to the differences in the audio tracks. I can certainly tell the difference between SD and HD audio. Running my system currently in 9.1 mode all the surrounds work in all audio modesgotta love Denon for this!

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #132 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

hi curious, from memory from my 4308 it should say DTS-HD MSTR on the front panel display. as will show dolby digital + for hd dvds or other discs truehd with that format as well.

what disc and player are you using. as you know with the ps3 you wont get dts-hd ma and if your feeding off the tosh xe1 with hdmi you need to go into the players menu and put it into digital direct mode so it bitstreams and then the denon will pick it up to decode. additionally depending on the disc some need to go select the dts-hd ma track from disc menu to select as sound track.

happy listening !

Thanks Al, that's what I need to do...haven't selected digital direct in the menu on the XE-1 next job in the list when I watch Eastern Promises tonight

Looking forward to a catch-up when you're back in town

Cheers,

Curious

Free...at long last ;-)
post #133 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 03:38 AM

My delivery is expected tomorrow morning! The new pre/pro and a 60" Kuro. Can't wait.
post #134 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious George View Post

I'm onboard now too!

First basic tests are all good, 7.1 output works but the display shows Dolby PLII or Multi-Channel when I put a DTS HD-MA disc in

Has anyone tried a DTS HD-MA disc? if so what comes up on the AVPs display for you?

Cheers,

Curious

Great stuff CG, welcome to the 'Big Mutha' club

cheers
Norpus
post #135 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

I also tried to send you a PM but got the same message.

If other areas of Australia are getting shipments of AVP-A1HD's, then there is no good reason for your area not to. As far as I know, everyone else who pre-ordered theirs have received them. I really think your dealer is jerking you around. And him saying that you can't get your deposit back is ludicrous. Maybe you can contact Denon directly about your situation and have them contact your dealer.

If it turns out he has no good reasons for not getting you your unit, this will reflect poorly on him as a Denon dealer. You have been waiting ever so long for your AVP, and a nice person like you deserves so much better treatment. It's only right that you get your deposit back.

I hope that there is still a way for you to get an AVP, we really like having you around bud.

Please let us know what happens. You have many friends here that care.

Seth

Hi Seth,MarkB
Talked to the Denon Rep today and was told that the second shipment has been pushed back till August.This news actually came from Denon in Japan. I cannot believe it, another 5 months away.Unfortunatley it's way too long to wait.The rep apologised and was also puzzled by this delay, but he got the call from the head distrubutor in Australia and was told it was out of there hands now, there is really nothing they can do. This has really annoyed me as I wanted the pre so bad but know Im going for the AVC-A1HD and using that as the pre.Very similar in specs and design.I spent all night last night and all day comparing the two so Im quite happy that they are very similar.There is differences like the extra torodial power supply and I guess the xlr traded for the speakers outputs which I wont use.Im sure there is other but running through my Nad M25 power amp I guess it should be fine.You guys have been great,I guess being that it is quite similar in design and specs I can still hang around.I am using it as a pre, but hopefully it all goes well.

Frank

post #136 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Guys I have checked the differences between the two in denon usa and they do seem very indentical which makes me very happy.The only thing I found was the torodial transformer and XLR.Im sure there was something else I missed out.

Frank

post #137 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

...been pushed back till August...

O...M...G!

August?
post #138 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post

O...M...G!

August?

Exactly what I thought when I was told today.Now you know why I can't wait that long.

Frank

post #139 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Exactly what I thought when I was told today.Now you know why I can't wait that long.

Franin, very sorry to read your story mate. You have been contributing in this thread almost since the beginning- I think we are going to miss your well informed comments on this piece of equipment.

The august delivery sounds really weird though! Why would Denon launch a product only to find themselves with totally untenable delivery timelines some 5-6 months in the future. I wonder what the real story is- I guess it could be that it is selling much better than they anticipated or (I hope not)technical/production problems.
post #140 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenBishop View Post

Franin, very sorry to read your story mate. You have been contributing in this thread almost since the beginning- I think we are going to miss your well informed comments on this piece of equipment.

The august delivery sounds really weird though! Why would Denon launch a product only to find themselves with totally untenable delivery timelines some 5-6 months in the future. I wonder what the real story is- I guess it could be that it is selling much better than they anticipated or (I hope not)technical/production problems.

Hi Stephen,
Apparentley they told me they are in high demand and they are built by order(There still going by that - DenonJeff did say they are not built by order).Mate you guys have a good pre-amp/power amp I don't think there is anything wrong.I have the denon avc-a1xva and that gets extemeley hot.I would not really worry.Im going with the next best thing I guess the avc-a1hd and will be using that as a pre-amp.Did comparisions and are very similar bar two things that I saw but im sure there was one more I forgot.I think it was the dacs!

Frank

post #141 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaharT View Post

My delivery is expected tomorrow morning! The new pre/pro and a 60" Kuro. Can't wait.

Hi ShaharT,

Great news! Do you know if your unit is from the first shipment?

Mark
post #142 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Seth,MarkB
Talked to the Denon Rep today and was told that the second shipment has been pushed back till August.

Well that "TOTALLY" SUCKS!! Having to wait that long does seem like an eternity. Sorry bud, we all really wanted you to get an AVP. Well, even though you are going for an AVC-A1HD instead, and using it as a pre/pro, you are "ALWAYS" welcome here. Please visit anytime.

Seth
post #143 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I hate that for you Franin, have enjoyed your comments on the thread. I have my installers kit and am ready to do the Audyssey Pro install and get the Dynamic EQ turned on. Will let everyone know how the Pro install sounds. I don't know if anyone else has done the Pro or not, so this may be the first.

gthomas
post #144 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaharT View Post

Exactly what I'm getting. I'm hoping to have both the 60" KURO and AVP delivered by next week. It's been a long wait. Enjoy!!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #145 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I'm hoping to have my AVP next week sometime. I'm thinking about kicking it up a notch with a new blu-ray player. Is there any big difference between the Denon DVD-2500BTCI and DVD-3800BDCI? Besides the internal audio decoding of the DVD-3800BDCI? But if I'm using the AVP is the DVD-3800BDCI worth the extra grand? Thanks.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #146 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

I hate that for you Franin, have enjoyed your comments on the thread. I have my installers kit and am ready to do the Audyssey Pro install and get the Dynamic EQ turned on. Will let everyone know how the Pro install sounds. I don't know if anyone else has done the Pro or not, so this may be the first.

Thomas,

I don't think you need the Pro version to enable the Dynamic EQ. I don't have the Pro version, and after I ran Audyssey, the Option for Dynamic EQ appeared as a Menu Option.

Anyway, I have heard the Pro version sounds better than the standard. Please let us know the SQ differences when you have a chance.

Darrell
post #147 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

So.... Out of the people that have tried the Audyssey on this unit, how many will use it, and how many will run without it?

I have tested the Audyssey a little bit and so far am undecided.

Darrell
post #148 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

But if I'm using the AVP is the DVD-3800BDCI worth the extra grand? Thanks.

The 3800 isn't worth the extra grand over the 2500 if you have the AVP.
post #149 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

You are right Darrell, you can use the dynamic EQ with the regular audyssey. I knew I was going to be using the Pro version and just didn't run the regular version yet.

gthomas
post #150 of 26283 Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

Good stuff nethomas
I am also going to get this when I get the chance to get overseas again, next month hopefully (not avail in Aust yet). Spearmint and a few others of us will chip in and get one I think, then we'll find out benefits and report what we find

cheers
Norpus
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page