Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #1471 of 26469 Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei View Post

Please excuse my ignorance as well (I don't have a PJ yet), but if I don't get an anamorphic lens, then do I get the same dimension images, but at lower resolution, with any image other than ______ aspect ratio (fill in the blank) not using all the pixels of the PJ?

Thanks in advance.

You will need the three items I outlined in the previous post

1. PJ that stretches or a processor
2. Anamorphic lens
3. Scope size screen

You could use ZOOM but that isn't too desireable, however much cheaper.

AVS has dedicated 2.35:1 section and CIH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 26469 Old 05-05-2008, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Thanks, Pentium. Your explanation is not only clear and concise, but apparently effective, as this now sounds pretty cool and well...I want it! Just what I need, another pricey item on my wish list.

I won't ask you to indulge me here with all the technical details- I'll read up on it elsewhere. But why is it a problem that you need the three things to get CIH? The screen sounds easy enough, though a nice masking system no doubt adds lots of $$. For the anamorphic lens and projector that can do it, is it a cost or availability issue? (As I recall, you got a JVC projector, right? Assuming you resolved the heat issue, are you pretty happy with it?) If you've taken any pics of your screen set-up, I'd love to see them. Thanks again for the post- it was really helpful.

A true electric with controllable RS232 or IR masking is quite expensive that is why there is a dedicated DIY thread on screen masking.

Screen size ordering is simple, JVC RS2 is by far the best PJ right now for the cost it does do the verticle stretch needed for 2.35:1 image. Anamorphic lens is easy to come by but range in pricing for quality but I'd recommend the new UH440/480 Panamorph best lens for the money to go higher end is 2x-3x the cost, then you can get a motorized sled or manual sled to move the lens in and out of place.

Heat issue is due to my office having too much computer equipment and laser printer generating heat and it rising, I have solved it with using the dedicated room A/C set to fan high without the compressor turned on. I also added some cooling fans above the RS2 that helped but isn't always enough to ensure it is cool enough, the fan blowing across the room is and it is ultra quiet my computers are actually louder. All of which can't be heard in the main viewing room.

I need to take new pics that show my screen masking done soon
post #1473 of 26469 Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

Very true. My apologies. Somebody mentioned it and I was probably the one that started asking all the questions.

yeah who mentioned that oops!

Frank
post #1474 of 26469 Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Could you please explain to me why the same company new line released Rush Hour 3 7.1 dts hd master and it works with 5.1.I Cant see how Denon can process that but the Golden Compass it cannot.

Just got an email from Denon regarding this issue:

"The issue is the way the disc was authored. We are currently working to get a fix for this on our products."

"It has been confirmed that it is an issue with the disc in 5.1. It will play fine in 7.1. We are going to report the issue to Japan. Keep checking the web site for any updates."

It actually won't matter for me anymore since I'm going to 7.1 from 5.1 today with my new rear speakers finally mounted!
post #1475 of 26469 Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemike View Post

Just got an email from Denon regarding this issue:

"The issue is the way the disc was authored. We are currently working to get a fix for this on our products."

"It has been confirmed that it is an issue with the disc in 5.1. It will play fine in 7.1. We are going to report the issue to Japan. Keep checking the web site for any updates."

It actually won't matter for me anymore since I'm going to 7.1 from 5.1 today with my new rear speakers finally mounted!

So is it just Denon? Filmixer said it not unique to Denon.

Frank
post #1476 of 26469 Old 05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
CIH USER

Just finished watching the posideon and amazing.The AVP really handles it well.

Frank
post #1477 of 26469 Old 05-06-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

You just had to drop in and make us drool, didn't ya Jeff?? I'm glad you did, as that's a pretty sweet set-up you've got there. I actually browsed through the other thread last night, trying to learn more about this, and saw your theater and Art's. Do you both use Stewart screens and masking systems? I'm obviously just getting my feet wet with this and I'm trying to discern who makes what and which companies make the good stuff.

Yes, the screen is the Stewart Vistascope. It is RS-232 controlled. The screen material is a Stewart Microperf X2 1.3 Ultramatte. 14' wide.

Thanks for the all the complements guys... I do appreciate them.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1478 of 26469 Old 05-06-2008, 07:05 PM

is there a recall button or display button on either remote?
post #1479 of 26469 Old 05-06-2008, 07:07 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Yes, the screen is the Stewart Vistascope. It is RS-232 controlled. The screen material is a Stewart Microperf X2 1.3 Ultramatte. 14' wide.

Thanks for the all the complements guys... I do appreciate them.

And well deserved mate.I went to your site to see the construction and absloulety amazing.It's good idea for anyone looking at building a great HT as it gives you an idea on how it all comes together.

Frank
post #1480 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen View Post

is there a recall button or display button on either remote?

On the primary remote, there's a button immediately above "volume up" that's labeled RTN, with DISP as the secondary label. A real frustration with this remote is that so many of the buttons are function-dependent, but the labels are not always intuitive for each situation. Many here have mentioned that they use thrid-party remotes, and for good reason.
post #1481 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 02:05 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

On the primary remote, there's a button immediately above "volume up" that's labeled RTN, with DISP as the secondary label. A real frustration with this remote is that so many of the buttons are function-dependent, but the labels are not always intuitive for each situation. Many here have mentioned that they use thrid-party remotes, and for good reason.

I use the Philips pronto Tsu 9600 with the extender but I have to say the remote on the right is so much better than the remote on the left.

Frank
post #1482 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I have 4 different players and presently am doing lots of evaluating between them..

Is there a simple way to toggle between stereo and say Mch input with DPLiix applied..??

John
post #1483 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If anyone in the USA is looking for a AVP-A1HD but are having trouble finding one locally, and with a decent discount, my local Denon dealer might be able to help. I've bought from him for years and have never had a bad experience. Highly recommended. PM me for contact info if interested.

Bish
post #1484 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

You will need the three items I outlined in the previous post

1. PJ that stretches or a processor
2. Anamorphic lens
3. Scope size screen

You could use ZOOM but that isn't too desireable, however much cheaper.

AVS has dedicated 2.35:1 section and CIH

Do any Denon products support Vertical Stretch? I guess the AVP does not? How about the Denon 2500 blu-ray transport?

I have a JVC RS2 and Panamorph lens and am trying to find a way to make the RS2 go Vertical Stretch with one push of a remote button without having to go through its menu. Any ideas?
post #1485 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I have set my POA to bridge for my RT, Center and LT. channels. I am an Audyssey Pro installer. I discovered something yesterday which will be of interest to those of you with similar setup. The Bridge mode has you connect to the "posititve" post of the two amp modules. When you set up and run the Audyssey, it will tell you that your Rt, center and lt. speakers are out of phase. They aren't, just go on and set up as you normally would.

gthomas
post #1486 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post

I have 4 different players and presently am doing lots of evaluating between them..

Is there a simple way to toggle between stereo and say Mch input with DPLiix applied..??

I don't use those Quick Select buttons on the front- can you apply parameters along with inputs on those? If that's not an option, I use a programmable remote and I'd make a temporary page with my own four "quick selects" that would have the inputs and options I want.
post #1487 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemike View Post

Do any Denon products support Vertical Stretch? I guess the AVP does not? How about the Denon 2500 blu-ray transport?

I have a JVC RS2 and Panamorph lens and am trying to find a way to make the RS2 go Vertical Stretch with one push of a remote button without having to go through its menu. Any ideas?

In Pentium's list, there is no requirement that the processor be able to stretch the image, as long as the PJ does it. If you have the screen already, it sounds like you have everything you need. Pentium uses the RS2 as well and he says it works great. I'm sure he'll weigh in and let you know how his set-up makes it happen.
post #1488 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't use those Quick Select buttons on the front- can you apply parameters along with inputs on those?

these appear to just be a way to select your input on the front instead of using the remote..so doubt they could store different parameters..

Quote:

If that's not an option, I use a programmable remote and I'd make a temporary page with my own four "quick selects" that would have the inputs and options I want.

ok..yeah guess I could set up other inputs with the alternative DSP mode - on my former Lexicon remote there were seperate buttons marked '2CH" or "DPLii", so was simple to toggle..

Like most things, it will take some time to get used to the way to navigate thru this preamp, but I'm sure it will eventually be quick to make some setting change..and without having to turn on your projector..

John
post #1489 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas View Post

I have set my POA to bridge for my RT, Center and LT. channels. I am an Audyssey Pro installer. I discovered something yesterday which will be of interest to those of you with similar setup. The Bridge mode has you connect to the "posititve" post of the two amp modules. When you set up and run the Audyssey, it will tell you that your Rt, center and lt. speakers are out of phase. They aren't, just go on and set up as you normally would.

It did not do this on mine. Although both sets are marked +, they are not actually +, they are HOT and COLD. Are you sure you have HOT going to + and COLD going to - speaker terminals?
post #1490 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like most things, it will take some time to get used to the way to navigate thru this preamp, but I'm sure it will eventually be quick to make some setting change..and without having to turn on your projector..

Have you tried the web controller?
post #1491 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually I set them according to the diagram in the manual, but I'll double check tonight.

gthomas
post #1492 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

What is soundstyle in POA compared to hegel H4SE? Did just read a magazine that has tested avp and poa they said POA sounded like japanese style... In the midrange... when listening to stereo mode
post #1493 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:

i saw that button but pushing it does nothing at all
post #1494 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

What is Japanese style midrange? Any thoughts.

gthomas
post #1495 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen View Post

i saw that button but pushing it does nothing at all

What source are you trying to control, and what are you trying to do? As I mentioned, most of the buttons have functions that change according to the source/operation you are controlling.
post #1496 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

these appear to just be a way to select your input on the front instead of using the remote..so doubt they could store different parameters.

John, I just looked at the manual and it appears those Quick Select buttons can do what you need. Apparently, you can select input source, input mode, surround mode, room EQ settings, and volume for each of the three buttons. That's seems pretty comprehensive. In fact, I'm glad I discovered that as I can see other handy applications aside from the testing you're currently doing.
post #1497 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenvik View Post

What is soundstyle in POA compared to hegel H4SE? Did just read a magazine that has tested avp and poa they said POA sounded like japanese style... In the midrange... when listening to stereo mode

What article? Have not seen any magazine article yet on either bit of kit...
post #1498 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
post #1499 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:

What source are you trying to control, and what are you trying to do? As I mentioned, most of the buttons have functions that change according to the source/operation you are controlling.

i'm just looking for recall or display
like what shows when you switch sources on screen
post #1500 of 26469 Old 05-07-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

How do you like my new avatar?

Mark

I recently made a stylized version of that image for use on my remote. I'd thought of using it as an avatar, but looks like I missed the boat!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page