Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 535 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #16021 of 26490 Old 02-28-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Seth, I don't think our setups (using large dipole line-source speakers) are going to work well with DSX.

Remember that DSX is engineered based on multiple point source, monopole speakers and how they radiate sound into a room.

In many ways, our setups, with their tall sound sources and the depth and width provided by the rear-wave reflections already deliver a more spacious soundstage than monopole point-sources, so we're ahead of the game already

Hi Jonathan!

You know that's something that I hadn't thought about. But you're right, with Logans being true dipole in nature, and the fact that my mains are tall and wide already, there may not be much benefit to be gained adding DSX effect speakers.

And you're right, all of the DSX setups I've seen use monopoles. Thanks for your very helpful and informative input.

I asked on the Audyssey thread to see what they have to say.

Seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16022 of 26490 Old 02-28-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

So what you are also saying that these DSX setups make more sense for people with WAF problems (so need to use small hidden away speakers) then people with fullblown 7.1 setups ?

Makes sense to me in a way, just wanted to be clear that is what you mean.

Daniel.

Just that the algorithms were developed using the dispersion and positioning characteristics of monopole point-sources. Therefore substituting large line-source dipoles is probably not going to generate the expected result.

Dipoles are like having many monopoles at varying distances in the room anyway.

Think of the reflection patterns of the rear wave bouncing off the front and side walls as being effectively a series of monopoles positioned at 6' to 8' back and to the side of the main speaker.

(I really need to diagram this out, as most people have a hard time visualizing this)
post #16023 of 26490 Old 02-28-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Seth

good move, look forward to hearing what they say.
post #16024 of 26490 Old 03-01-2010, 02:04 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

Hi Jonathan!

You know that's something that I hadn't thought about. But you're right, with Logans being true dipole in nature, and the fact that my mains are tall and wide already, there may not be much benefit to be gained adding DSX effect speakers.

And you're right, all of the DSX setups I've seen use monopoles. Thanks for your very helpful and informative input.

Seth

looking at your Pic Seth and seeing the height of your speakers I dont think you even need height channels

Frank
post #16025 of 26490 Old 03-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I recently got the amazing AVP-A1HD(A) and whenever I try to play a blu-ray movie with uncompressed audio (feeding through HDMI to the AVP) I got a significant lip-sync issue. The auto lip-sync adjust feature doesn't seem to solve it, but I can't seem to find an option to adjust lip-sync manually. Am I overlooking something or is it really not there??
post #16026 of 26490 Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiter View Post

I recently got the amazing AVP-A1HD(A) and whenever I try to play a blu-ray movie with uncompressed audio (feeding through HDMI to the AVP) I got a significant lip-sync issue. The auto lip-sync adjust feature doesn't seem to solve it, but I can't seem to find an option to adjust lip-sync manually. Am I overlooking something or is it really not there??

You should not have this problem if you leave everything untouched. What source are you using and is it leaving the player as an untouched stream? The AVP should also not be touching any of the stream except stripping off the audio and it will keep the video in sync as it leaves the device.

If the above are true and everything is pure as it leaves the AVP then your problem is your view display device. It may not be able to keep up. That would be the case if the video lags the audio.

Chris
post #16027 of 26490 Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if its against the rules or not but can somebody give some advice on the best place to sell high end equipment.

I recently got an AVP-A1HDCI and a POA-A1HDCI from a distributor and my set up is nowhere near nice enough to use these to their fullest potential. So I have decided to sell them and buy a few items more on my level.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #16028 of 26490 Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiter View Post

As noted if you need extra sync delay the display is probably also doing some processing (something you don't want). But you can add extra delay to compensate that (while solving the display delay) in :

PARAMETERS -> AUDIO -> AUDIO DELAY -> 0ms to 200ms

This can be done on all inputs and some modes so you might have to
set it multiple times. After this try to find out why your display is also adding
more delays (processing) and try to feed it native 1080p mode.

Good luck,

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #16029 of 26490 Old 03-01-2010, 02:03 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5051 View Post

Not sure if its against the rules or not but can somebody give some advice on the best place to sell high end equipment.

I recently got an AVP-A1HDCI and a POA-A1HDCI from a distributor and my set up is nowhere near nice enough to use these to their fullest potential. So I have decided to sell them and buy a few items more on my level.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Depending on where you live - the AVS Forums marketplace, Audiogon, and ebay are probably your best bets.
post #16030 of 26490 Old 03-02-2010, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

looking at your Pic Seth and seeing the height of your speakers I dont think you even need height channels

Yeah, you know the more I think about it the more I'm realizing that having front height channels probably won't make a very noticable difference. I'm inclined to agree on Jonathan's view on this.

I asked on the Audyssey thread and really didn't get any truly helpful feedback over there. So at least for the time being I'm just leaving it as is.

But if we do get DSX for our AVP's, I'm sure it very well could benefit ones with monopole type speakers.

Seth
post #16031 of 26490 Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Yeah, you know the more I think about it the more I'm realizing that having front height channels probably won't make a very noticable difference. I'm inclined to agree on Jonathan's view on this.

I asked on the Audyssey thread and really didn't get any truly helpful feedback over there. So at least for the time being I'm just leaving it as is.

But if we do get DSX for our AVP's, I'm sure it very well could benefit ones with monopole type speakers.

Seth

I think you should too to be honest.

Frank
post #16032 of 26490 Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you should too to be honest.

Hi Frank.

You know, that's the cool thing about our thread. Real input that makes sense. If DSX makes its way to the AVP, I probably would have ordered some ML speakers for height (along with a new amp). And then after setting it all up I may have been very disappointed with the overall results.

So had it not been for Jonathan's input and yours also, I would have spent a lot of extra money on things that really wouldn't have benefited me much (if any).

Thanks guys.

Seth
post #16033 of 26490 Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Yes there is a small fan thats needed for the video chip (realta T2 gets hot) its controlled by temp but you can hear it. The POA has 5 fans on the bottom that are volume controlled (online the avp) so you never hear them .

Daniel.

First hey everyone it has been a VERY long time since i have posted and kept up to date on this thread (up to page 524 lol). I hope everyone new and old are still enjoying this combo, almost coming up to 2yrs for myself.

Anyway i couldn't find anyone reporting/mentioning this. Not that it's a real issue at the moment, I'm just trying to stop it turning into one for myself. The problem i am noticing "Hearing" is that at least one of the fans in the POA i making a slight grinding noise similar to when the bearings for a Fan in your PC are starting to go.

I only noticed it last night, when i first thought it was my PS3 fan. Then i turned off the PS3 and could still hear it. Although it is only relatively intermittent, it is noticeable. I cant see any of the fans not moving or moving for that matter (POA is on a glass top so can underneath).

There doesn't seem to be any affect on sound or anything else, just the noise every now and then, when the volume is REAL low or off. Now i have emailed my local service centre asking if they have any ideas why it might be happening and also what type of fan it is. I.e. size, rpm, volatge etc. As it's something that would be easily changed by myself instead of taking it to the repair centre. It appears you only need to up end the POA and take off the base plate, where the fans are.

For others i don't think this is a huge issue as have my AVP/POA on probably way more than average and sort of expect something like th fans to wear out after this amount of use.

Again hope everyone is doing well and i am going try and keep up to date more with this thread that has helped me so much over the last 2yrs.
post #16034 of 26490 Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSTI View Post

First hey everyone it has been a VERY long time since i have posted and kept up to date on this thread (up to page 524 lol). I hope everyone new and old are still enjoying this combo, almost coming up to 2yrs for myself.

Anyway i couldn't find anyone reporting/mentioning this. Not that it's a real issue at the moment, I'm just trying to stop it turning into one for myself. The problem i am noticing "Hearing" is that at least one of the fans in the POA i making a slight grinding noise similar to when the bearings for a Fan in your PC are starting to go.

I only noticed it last night, when i first thought it was my PS3 fan. Then i turned off the PS3 and could still hear it. Although it is only relatively intermittent, it is noticeable. I cant see any of the fans not moving or moving for that matter (POA is on a glass top so can underneath).

There doesn't seem to be any affect on sound or anything else, just the noise every now and then, when the volume is REAL low or off. Now i have emailed my local service centre asking if they have any ideas why it might be happening and also what type of fan it is. I.e. size, rpm, volatge etc. As it's something that would be easily changed by myself instead of taking it to the repair centre. It appears you only need to up end the POA and take off the base plate, where the fans are.

For others i don't think this is a huge issue as have my AVP/POA on probably way more than average and sort of expect something like th fans to wear out after this amount of use.

Again hope everyone is doing well and i am going try and keep up to date more with this thread that has helped me so much over the last 2yrs.

Hey Scott good to see you again I'm sure one of the guys would be able to help you here.

Frank
post #16035 of 26490 Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
CIH USER

I've just checked ringing audio products group ( Australia Denon ) the AVP has only 2 years warranty from date of purchase. The current gear has 3 years as long as you register if not the standard 2 years apply. I told them I registered mine but unfortunatley it doesn't apply as the changes have only taken place in the last 12 months. Unless anyone knows different ( Australian members ) please share.

Frank
post #16036 of 26490 Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Hey Scott good to see you again I'm sure one of the guys would be able to help you here.

Hey there Frank, thanks for the welcome back.

Have now been watching "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull" at a decent volume and it's pretty warm today (mid/high 20's Celsius) and I'm not getting the fan noise, or any strange noise for that matter. So it does appear intermittent, will have to see how it goes.
post #16037 of 26490 Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:

I've just checked ringing audio products group ( Australia Denon ) the AVP has only 2 years warranty from date of purchase. The current gear has 3 years as long as you register if not the standard 2 years apply. I told them I registered mine but unfortunatley it doesn't apply as the changes have only taken place in the last 12 months. Unless anyone knows different ( Australian members ) please share.

Hey Frank, thanks for the heads up on this mate. That still leaves me a good amount of time before mine is up, just incase something is actually wrong..
post #16038 of 26490 Old 03-04-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hai,

Welcome back, Guess the message you quoted from me is from many pages back .

Anyway yes there are 5 fans, They seem to be normal 80mm pc types so indeed not a huge deal. But i do wonder if you feel its just wear how often they are running since they should not be running most of the time. Maybe something you should look into. Also i am 99% sure they will all be running at the same time (if not you will get uneven cooling) so it might be a little work to find out which it is.

Also since they are not always running on the same speed it might be that in a few days when it gets warmer all will be ok again, ive had several macbook pro's doing this change the fanspeed a little and sound is gone.

it indeed seems easy to replace if needed compared to some other parts

and

Wonder what denon support will advance please let us know.

btw anyone have any idea how much VA's these e-cores are ? My guess would be
800VA per block so 3200VA total kind of weird we don't know this.

Daniel.
LL
LL

post #16039 of 26490 Old 03-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Hey Daniel , i think that these fans don't run all at the same time , but accorfing to some thermistors on the heat sink of each chanel.I don't see why they wouldn't allow to work that way, since all chanels don't consume the same amount of current at the same time, hence there is no need to run all five of them at same time. Just a thought.
I'll ask my friend at Denon service tomorow.

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #16040 of 26490 Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Hey Daniel , i think that these fans don't run all at the same time , but accorfing to some thermistors on the heat sink of each chanel.I don't see why they wouldn't allow to work that way, since all chanels don't consume the same amount of current at the same time, hence there is no need to run all five of them at same time. Just a thought.
I'll ask my friend at Denon service tomorow.

I was sort of guessing based on nothing more than a feeling that they would not want to cool say the left part of the unit and not the right and create some weirdass airflow but you are correct maybe they do so ask we can always learn mode. Also ask him about these e-cores would be very interesting to see if we can get some more info on how heavy they are (800va or 1000va or ...).

Daniel.

post #16041 of 26490 Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Hai,

Welcome back, Guess the message you quoted from me is from many pages back .

Hey Daniel, also thanks for the welcome back mate. Yup it was your post from a few pages back that i used as a refernce. Just wanted something to start from i guess, as there isnt much about the fans on here.

Quote:

Anyway yes there are 5 fans, They seem to be normal 80mm pc types so indeed not a huge deal. But i do wonder if you feel its just wear how often they are running since they should not be running most of the time. Maybe something you should look into. Also i am 99% sure they will all be running at the same time (if not you will get uneven cooling) so it might be a little work to find out which it is.

Also since they are not always running on the same speed it might be that in a few days when it gets warmer all will be ok again, ive had several macbook pro's doing this change the fanspeed a little and sound is gone.

it indeed seems easy to replace if needed compared to some other parts

Example is yeterday. The unit was on from about 0700-2200. It's basically in use whenever the TV is on. Until i make up the Lounge Room, the HT is a jack of all trades so to speak. Anyway, the nosie didnt start up until 2000 and could only be heard in very quite/silent parts of the movie we were watching. Absolutley no noise through the day at all, when the whole room was at it's hottest.

That could go towards the idea that they dont always RUN, but only when needed. But on that note i wouldve thought they would be on during the day when it was hottest (and it was getting a good workout). I might try and keep a better eye on it today to see when the fans might kick in.

As for the Pics you posted, i think i can gather the 1st one is with the base plate off, but i'm not to sure of teh 2nd one. Plus the fans appear to be different in each shot.

Quote:

Wonder what denon support will advance please let us know.

btw anyone have any idea how much VA's these e-cores are ? My guess would be
800VA per block so 3200VA total kind of weird we don't know this.

Daniel.

I have sent an email to my repair centre and am awaiting a reply from them. I might also forward it to APG our supplier also. If/when i get a reply i will certainly let you all know what comes of it.

Now a slight nOOb ? here. The e-cores you are talking about above (800va, 3200va total). I gather that is whats on the left in the 2nd picture and what they are for? Again thanks for the ideas and help Daniel.
post #16042 of 26490 Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 PM

Just a quick one. It's 0713 at the moment and pretty cool temp wise and the POA is making it's fan noise already. Hopefully will get some as=]nswers soon enough.

One thing though when i was checking it yesterday, the top cover did feel any hotter than it normally does.
post #16043 of 26490 Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
G'day people, i have just recieved the avpa1hd and am using my ps3 as my dvd player until my dvda1ud player arrives here in oz. What should my settings be on the ps3 as my projector only displays 1080i. Should i set it at 576p and let the avp do the upscaling.I have not callaborated anything yet. Regards Grassy

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #16044 of 26490 Old 03-05-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

G'day people, i have just recieved the avpa1hd and am using my ps3 as my dvd player until my dvda1ud player arrives here in oz. What should my settings be on the ps3 as my projector only displays 1080i. Should i set it at 576p and let the avp do the upscaling.I have not callaborated anything yet. Regards Grassy

welcome aboard grassy. congrats on the avp and soon dvda1 wow !

re what to set things at. does the ps3 have a native output ? then can just let the avp do the scaling.anyways sounds like just a temp arrangement till the dvd-a1 lands

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #16045 of 26490 Old 03-05-2010, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

welcome back scott. wow been 2 years already !

ps hopefully the fan business gets sorted for you soon as am sure it will

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #16046 of 26490 Old 03-05-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Welcome to the thread, and congrats on your fine taste in HT gear!
post #16047 of 26490 Old 03-05-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Welcome to the thread, and congrats on your fine taste in HT gear!

Thankyou very much for the kind welcome all i have to do now is ask the right questions. I am glad to be here and have been following a lot of the posts for awhile and i apreciate everyones input into these fine machines. Thanks again.

post #16048 of 26490 Old 03-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

welcome aboard grassy. congrats on the avp and soon dvda1 wow !

re what to set things at. does the ps3 have a native output ? then can just let the avp do the scaling.anyways sounds like just a temp arrangement till the dvd-a1 lands

alebonau, alebonau, alebonau, how the hell are ya, i knew i would run into you sooner or later. Good to still know you are around. I am still chatting to the other boys at stereo net. As for the ps3 The sony playstation 3 offers a native output of 1080p. But I THNK its 1080p output is limited to component, if that makes sense. Does the avp upsale when you do your auto setup with the mic. Or is the upscaling done seperately.

post #16049 of 26490 Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

G'day.... eh. From the top end of the globe.
Welcome to the club.
post #16050 of 26490 Old 03-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

G'day.... eh. From the top end of the globe.
Welcome to the club.

Yea thanks, love that part of the world and hope to visit one day. If its canada your from, its one place i hope to be soon.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page