Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 539 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Hopefully Denon can do upgrades like Anthem can. I believe I read some products can be upgraded to HDMI 1.4 using a firmware update.

According to a posting on another site from someone who is supposedly in the know there is a firmware update planned for this summer for our AVPs but the move to HDMI 1.4 would require a hardware upgrade which "may be in the pipeline" according to the what was posted.

And the monster bent down and said "I need about tree fiddy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutTreeFiddy View Post

According to a posting on another site from someone who is supposedly in the know there is a firmware update planned for this summer for our AVPs but the move to HDMI 1.4 would require a hardware upgrade which "may be in the pipeline" according to the what was posted.

Hopefully Denon is indeed planning an upgrade. As I say I love my AVP and don't really feel I need to replace it with anything else but I would like HDMI 1.4
Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Hopefully Denon is indeed planning an upgrade. As I say I love my AVP and don't really feel I need to replace it with anything else but I would like HDMI 1.4

You might see a few 1.4 players with dual HDMI outputs, and multi-HDMI input displays are already the norm - so there's an easy work-around.

I'm typically an early adopter, but 3D and 1.4 really holds very little interest for me since neither affects music in any way.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

What feature of HDMI 1.4 will you use?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Jon have you decided on the projector your getting to replace the CRT?

Yes, the JVC RS-25 will tide me over for a few years until a reasonably priced LED illuminated unit shows up from them.

Though the CRT is till going strong. Man that's a beautiful image. Soft, but colors and blacks are perfect.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Actually, it's not going to take remotely even anywhere near a year for HDMI 1.4 equipped products to arrive. ...

John I was referring to how long it would be before it's all debugged and interoperable

the spec is one thing, correctly implementing and adhering to it are a completely different thing. We've seen that pattern with pretty much every other iteration of HMDI.

Personally, I hope any HW upgrade from Denon uses a second gen silicon and is easily firmware updatable. So I'm in no rush.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

What feature of HDMI 1.4 will you use?

If I want 3D movies, I may use the greater bandwidth. There may be other benefits to 1.4. PS3 and Xbox are getting upgrades to HDMI this summer for 3D games.

There are probably other benefits as well as new equipment comes out this summer from numerous manufacturers.

I guess if you want to know Denon's plans, you can send an e-mail to
denon1@mailnj.custhelp.com
Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Well I'd hate to swap out my AVP. I was thinking about getting the Anthem prepro because I know whey offer upgrades but I ended up with the Denon. Hopefully Denon can do upgrades like Anthem can. I believe I read some products can be upgraded to HDMI 1.4 using a firmware update.

Yeah, but, with what some of the Anthem upgrades are priced at. Many people find it more cost effective to sell their current one and then just go and buy the new upgraded version outright. So in that regard, you could do the same thing with the Denon. Just sell it, and then go buy the new version outright. If Denon offers a upgrade path to HDMI 1.4, it will not be with a simple firmware upgrade. It will require a new HDMI chip and probably some circuit board parts replacement as well, and it will have to be sent to a Denon service center.

Personally, I kind of have a feeling that the entire 3D thing is going to turn out to be a fad, and that after awhile it will drop off in popularity quite a bit. A lot of people, I think will not want to always want to have to wear the also required $100+ 3D glasses every time they want to watch TV, so they will just turn off the 3D instead. Although, gaming might be were the popularity for 3D stays high, as long as it don't create lags in gaming.

Also, most TV's are only going to come with two pairs of glasses, and so far from what I have read they are also brand specific glasses. So no swapping among brands of glasses until the aftermarket come out with some universal ones. So it's going to be very pricey either way, to equip everyone in a large family
with their own pair of 3D glasses.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20000587-260.html

Not to mention, there are also some things that would be really really obnoxious, if they were broadcast in 3D....

Old 03-17-2010, 02:31 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Yes, the JVC RS-25 will tide me over for a few years until a reasonably priced LED illuminated unit shows up from them.

Though the CRT is till going strong. Man that's a beautiful image. Soft, but colors and blacks are perfect.

Like yourself I will wait until LED is reasonably priced before I venture in and buy one.

Frank
Old 03-17-2010, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Personally, I kind of have a feeling that the entire 3D thing is going to turn out to be a fad, and that after awhile it will drop off in popularity quite a bit. A lot of people, I think will not want to always want to have to wear the also required $100+ 3D glasses every time they want to watch TV, so they will just turn off the 3D instead. Although, gaming might be were the popularity for 3D stays high, as long as it don't create lags in gaming.

Aside from the glasses, which just don't seem practical, I think effective, high-quality 3D will, at best, be limited to larger, front-projection-based HTs. This is based on my experiences seeing it in theaters, where the only way it really "works" is when the screen is so large that it practically fills my field of vision; even a "regular-sized" theater screen doesn't create that immersive feel that 3D seems to require. A typical flat panel, even something in the 60-70" range, is nowhere near big enough to create that feel and could even look kind of silly, I think. If I had the space for a big, dedicated theater with a huge screen, I'd probably want 3D capability eventually (when the equipment and content has matured). But I just can't see the point of it in the real-world HT set-up I actually live with.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM

I think that I will wait this one out. I'm skeptical about the whole 3D thing. Not only that, but it seems like it rarely pays to be an early adopter. I ignored the whole Circuit City/DIVX thing, but waited for the first DTS capable DVD player & Processor to come out, and I waited out the HD-DVD vs. Blu ray battle too (I was too young for the Beta vs VHS battle). Does anyone know, if there are various implementation of 3D? Are there competing technologies?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:30 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Hello,

For anyone interested, this is the response I got from Denon about the possibility of HDMI 1.4 for the AVP

"An upgrade is currently under investigation for the AVP-A1HDCI. You can continue to check the website for any information on this in the news section at the following link."

http://usa.denon.com/NewsAndEvents.asp
Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is based on my experiences seeing it in theaters, where the only way it really "works" is when the screen is so large that it practically fills my field of vision; even a "regular-sized" theater screen doesn't create that immersive feel that 3D seems to require.

I've never seen modern 3D but I was thinking what you say above might apply. In fact, that might be a bigger detractor than the glasses.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I've never seen modern 3D but I was thinking what you say above might apply. In fact, that might be a bigger detractor than the glasses.

I really think so. I've seen 3D in true IMAX and in "faux IMAX" (those theaters in the multiplex that really just have a better sound system). Only the "real" IMAX screen made it look cool. The Boeing IMAX theater here in Seattle uses the original IMAX spec- the screen is 60' feet high and the seating has a very steep rake. It's like sitting in a bowl so, with good seats, you're right in the middle and that massive screen really does fill your whole field of vision. I saw Avatar twice there.....
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really think so. I've seen 3D in true IMAX and in "faux IMAX" (those theaters in the multiplex that really just have a better sound system). Only the "real" IMAX screen made it look cool. The Boeing IMAX theater here in Seattle uses the original IMAX spec- the screen is 60' feet high and the seating has a very steep rake. It's like sitting in a bowl so, with good seats, you're right in the middle and that massive screen really does fill your whole field of vision. I saw Avatar twice there.....

Yeah, probably not the same impact when an alien's tail sticks out of a 46" LCD.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

welcome back scott. wow been 2 years already !

ps hopefully the fan business gets sorted for you soon as am sure it will

No real reply from the repair centre or APG themselves, go figure. The good news is that the sound from the fan is gone. I havent noticed anything since i posted, so either it righted itself or that fan is gone bad.

Yeah Al', almost 2 years mate. I'm still finding things i reckon and i also enjoying more every day, if thas possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Hi Scott!!

Great to have you with us once again! It's been quite a while.

Bummer on the POA fan issue, but I'm sure you'll get that resolved soon.

So other than the noisy fan, how are you enjoying your HT system? Would love to see some up to date pics of your setup.

Seth

Hi Seth,

Good to be back around mate. Just have to remember not to turn off the email notices (which i did and forgot about LOL). As above the fan seems fine at the moment. If i hear something again, straight to the repair shop it goes before warranty runs out.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

At the risk of explaining it to simple :

Hope this doesn't confuse you more maybe someone with more control of the english language can sharpen some mistakes ive made

Daniel.

Hey Daniel,

That explains it well and makes sense to me. With you posting this picture as well it puts it in a bit better perspective for myself at least. Thanks for taking the time and explaining that Daniel.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

You are correct, if bitstreaming DolbyDigital / DTS (normal or HD versions), then it makes no real difference. the AVP will do the decoding and clocking.

This does add value for the following:
- PCM tracks on BluRay
- Letting the 4010 decode soundtracks so you have menu sounds or audio overlays from special features
- SACD discs
- DVD-Audio discs
- CD's

I am not clear on how the Denon Link 4th Generation and clock control with the 4010 and the AVP gives added value for SACD, DVD-Audio and redbook CDs. I have only been able to get the "Clock Control" light on the 4010 to illuminate with Blu ray discs. Is there a set of system settings that I should be using to get the "clock control" to illuminate with SACD, DVD-Audio, and regular CD discs? Is there added value for SACD, DVD-Audio, and regular CD discs even without the "clock control" illuminated?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
POA now getting very cheap on Amazon....so tempting. How low will it go?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Res View Post

I am not clear on how the Denon Link 4th Generation and clock control with the 4010 and the AVP gives added value for SACD, DVD-Audio and redbook CDs. I have only been able to get the "Clock Control" light on the 4010 to illuminate with Blu ray discs. Is there a set of system settings that I should be using to get the "clock control" to illuminate with SACD, DVD-Audio, and regular CD discs? Is there added value for SACD, DVD-Audio, and regular CD discs even without the "clock control" illuminated?

DenonLink 3 or 4 adds value to the items I listed because the audio signal (for SACD,DVD-A,CD) travels on the DenonLink hookup using the AVP's clocking.

The only NEW thing DenonLink 4 adds is clocking on HDMI PCM data streams. I beleive (not 100% sure) that's the only time you will see the 4010 light up the 'clock control'.

So what you want to see when playing an SACD is that the AVP is showing DenonLink illuminated when that input is active.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

With the "pricing wheel" of Amazon you never know, but now it seems to be back to full price.... SJ
Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Are you sure you aren't looking at the "other POA?" (The POA 3012CI) The POA-A1HDCI is listed at MSRP for me.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you sure you aren't looking at the "other POA?" (The POA 3012CI) The POA-A1HDCI is listed at MSRP for me.

Nope, the 'real' POA-A1HD was at $4874 (35% off) from last night up until at least 8am EDT this morning. Directly from Amazon, eligible for Free Two Day with Prime. I had some crazy idea it might go even lower (40% off?), so I hesitated. Don't really need it, but the price was appealing.

I've been watching it every day. Was at 22% off, then 25%, then 30%. Stuck at 35% for about a day, then poof back to MSRP. Here's a Google cache, doesn't show the price, but you can see it was reduced from MSRP. You had to add to cart to see the discount.
LL
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Res View Post

hdmi cec enabled clock control was put in by denon only for blu-ray because I believe for proprietary reasons the studios probably wouldnt allow blu-ray hd audio over denon link or anything bar hdmi with its hdcp. so denon link 4th is really only utilised for the clock signal and audio for blu-ray stays with the video on hdmi. for cd/sacd/dvd/dvd-a you can enable audio over denon link 3 which is "jitter free" by nature and no different to what previous denon link 3 enabled products offered.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

hdmi cec enabled clock control was put in by denon only for blu-ray because I believe for proprietary reasons the studios probably wouldnt allow blu-ray hd audio over denon link or anything bar hdmi with its hdcp. so denon link 4th is really only utilised for the clock signal and audio for blu-ray stays with the video on hdmi. for cd/sacd/dvd/dvd-a you can enable audio over denon link 3 which is "jitter free" by nature and no different to what previous denon link 3 enabled products offered.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Liked: 20
How do you set the AFDM MODE to on. Regards Grassy

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

how do you set the afdm mode to on. Regards grassy

afdm?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 PM

Auto flag detect mode, on page 49 in the manual under "playing multi channel sources" The manual as far as i can see does not explain this in detail. It just states that this setting can be switched to on. Boy am i confused

Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post

Auto flag detect mode, on page 49 in the manual under "playing multi channel sources" The manual as far as i can see does not explain this in detail. It just states that this setting can be switched to on. Boy am i confused

not sure what your talking abotu either grassy but if its multich for sacd/dvda thats usually switched at the player. eg with dvd-a thats a menu selection or sacd some players you can switch between layers with a button on the machine.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Old 03-20-2010, 05:04 AM

Hi Al, i am refering to the manual which states that there is a "AFDM" setting which can be set to "ON". I gather the manal is talking about the STANDARD mode.I am just a ittle confused as the manual states that there is a AFDM setting which i can not find in any of the menu's.

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers