Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 544 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #16291 of 26334 Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

The player is the Oppo 83. Since this has never happened on any other BD and all other sources are fine, I'm betting it's a faulty disc as mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, I've already packaged the disc up and shipped it back to Netflix. The movie itself was pretty bad. Happy to get rid of it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18434617

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16292 of 26334 Old 04-05-2010, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
I've had my AVP about 3 weeks now and love it but this weekend I experienced a slight hiccup. On Sat. I was in my den but had the AVP playing net radio in the living room for some background music. I was controlling it using the web interface and noticed the responsiveness when changing web radio stations had slowed to a crawl. It got to the point where it was unusable because it was so slow and wouldn't reliably change stations.

Later in the day I was playing with the net radio in the living room and noticed things had become really strange. Picking on an internet radio station using the GUI it didn't tune to the internet station I picked but changed to to another random station. Actually, it didn't appear to be totally random because it seemed to always pick a station from within the genre (or favorite folder) that I was in at the time. In other words, if was in the "classic rock" genre and selected radio station WXYZ to listen to the AVP would tune in another radio station in the "classic rock" category, say station WQRS. The same thing happened when I was in my favorites folder where I only have about 10 favorites saved. It picked a station from within my favorites but would only occasionally tune to the actual station I picked.

When I used my preset stations (A1, A2 etc) it appeared to tune the correct station. It seemed to happen regardless if I was using the AVP directly with my display or using the web interface.

I tried the small power button reset but that didn't do anything. Out of ideas, today I decided to bite the bullet and do a processor reset. I had just done a settings backup a couple of days ago after rerunning Audyssey so I figured I had nothing to loose. Well, the processor reset cured everything. The web radio interface is back to normal speed and the AVP will now tune to the station picked instead of a random station. The whole process was pretty painless really.

I'm just curious if anybody else has experienced anything like this or if this was just a rare, random glitch where the processor got confused and had to be reset?

And the monster bent down and said "I need about tree fiddy."
post #16293 of 26334 Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutTreeFiddy View Post

I'm just curious if anybody else has experienced anything like this or if this was just a rare, random glitch where the processor got confused and had to be reset?

Good to hear that the avp is doing fine and welcome.

About the net audio part, its by far the least developed part of the avp/denon platform we hoped they would change it but only small bugfixes so far. Don't take this the wrong way but you are better of moving to a external system like a AppleTV with a ipod touch/iphone/ipad as a remote. The speed and feedback speed, gui and buglevel is much lower and it makes your music fun again.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #16294 of 26334 Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

Don't take this the wrong way but you are better of moving to a external system like a AppleTV with a ipod touch/iphone/ipad as a remote. The speed and feedback speed, gui and buglevel is much lower and it makes your music fun again.

Daniel.

+100 Especially the "makes your music fun" part.

(I think any external system is an upgrade over the AVP's music streamer.)
post #16295 of 26334 Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

+100 Especially the "makes your music fun" part.

(I think any external system is an upgrade over the AVP's music streamer.)

Well people will all have their 'aha' moment when it comes to streaming, I have owned the first mp3 player released (all 32megs of it) and it was a replacement for a 'cd' player at best. Once the ipod was released i had my aha moment its all about :

Having all or a large part of your music
being able to move FAST in lists
Mix up and jump quickly to a new song that pops into your head

Its amazing really how many still fail on number 2, i have tested several 'media players' over the last few weeks and most fail in speed once you give it
say 1000+ songs amazing even in 2010.

The first external player i had that was ok (and i used for several years) was one from request (www.request.com) worked fine developed some stuff for it but it just doesn't make it in the same 'fun' factor the apple products have.

Why can't other brands see why the clickwheel (for example) was so important for speed or coverflow or other silly things like the page flipping on the ipad. Its the combi between near perfect useable gui's a tactile feel and a good level of useless eyecandy that makes us passionate about a product.

And this is not just me, i am a hardcode commandline freak as do most of the people i worked with over the years but we become little kids when its combined with eyecandy and a good doses of fun.

Daniel.

post #16296 of 26334 Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I don't mind the clunkiness of the Denon, but mostly because I have different music listening habits. I tend to listen to entire albums more than individual songs. So that's not too tough to navigate. I bounce around with individual songs on my iPhone in the car and love that interface, if that's how I listened in my HT on a constant basis, I'd go that route too.
post #16297 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Question for all Denon users

When using your processor and watching Blu Ray do you have loss of video at resolution changes? I have the following

Oppo connected via HDMi to Classé SSP-800 Processor connected to JVC Projector RS35U

I played several DVDs and Blu-Ray and unfortunately I have loss of video for 6-7 seconds at resolution changes, but not sound so I can hear the trailer but miss 6-7 second of picture. Classé says it's HDMi's fault?

It is really annoying especially when the discs have previews in 480i resolutions as it chops off about 5-6 seconds of the image but not the sound. Once the movie starts if it is encoded in DTS. I miss is the DTS logo preview entirely, I get the sound but no image for the logo!

Anyone else with these problems with your processor?
post #16298 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

When using your processor and watching Blu Ray do you have loss of video at resolution changes? I have the following

Oppo connected via HDMi to Classé SSP-800 Processor connected to JVC Projector RS35U

I played several DVDs and Blu-Ray and unfortunately I have loss of video for 6-7 seconds at resolution changes, but not sound so I can hear the trailer but miss 6-7 second of picture. Classé says it's HDMi's fault?

It is really annoying especially when the discs have previews in 480i resolutions as it chops off about 5-6 seconds of the image but not the sound. Once the movie starts if it is encoded in DTS. I miss is the DTS logo preview entirely, I get the sound but no image for the logo!

Maybe someone with an Oppo might be better suited to answer this for you, but with the Denon 2500 I'm experiencing no such thing. I had a Panasonic BD30 prior with no issues as well.
post #16299 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Maybe someone with an Oppo might be better suited to answer this for you, but with the Denon 2500 I'm experiencing no such thing. I had a Panasonic BD30 prior with no issues as well.

Thanks.
post #16300 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi,

I have a Oppo BDP-83/Denon Processor and have not experienced what you are describing. In fact, I don't experience any unexpected audio or video cutoffs at all.
post #16301 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahengeo View Post

Hi,

I have a Oppo BDP-83/Denon Processor and have not experienced what you are describing. In fact, I don't experience any unexpected audio or video cutoffs at all.

What is your processor and display?
post #16302 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use an Oppo 83 with my Denon AVP and Pioneer plasma. I get no video or audio drops at all.

PS: The easy way to avoid the handshake downstream is just to set the Oppo to fixed output at 1080p.
post #16303 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not connect the oppo the rs35 directly for video (and maybe audio analog for a second).

Good luck,

Daniel.

post #16304 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not connect the oppo the rs35 directly for video (and maybe audio analog for a second).

Good luck,

Daniel.

He would then lose the lossless codecs, wouldn't he? (Or have to rely on the Oppo's DACs instead of those in the Classe, which I would presume are better.)

(I suspect he's itching to buy an AVP.....)
post #16305 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He would then lose the lossless codecs, wouldn't he? (Or have to rely on the Oppo's DACs instead of those in the Classe, which I would presume are better.)

(I suspect he's itching to buy an AVP.....)

Yes my goal was only to 'debug' what is happening not as a end result sorry if i didn't make that clear.

Daniel.

post #16306 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of the HDMI handshake. I know exactly what you're experiencing. I get it too when switching inputs, e.g. going from satellite to blu-ray. I haven't let it bother me too much, though it would be nice to see the whole DTS logo preview.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #16307 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Welcome to the wonderful world of the HDMI handshake. I know exactly what you're experiencing. I get it too when switching inputs, e.g. going from satellite to blu-ray. I haven't let it bother me too much, though it would be nice to see the whole DTS logo preview.

Do you get it at all within an input, with resolution changes? I've never seen it at all with my Oppo/AVP combination.

(BTW....one of my Oppos went buns up. That's the first time I've ever had an optical player fail. Hope it's just a fluke and not a reflection on their durability. )
post #16308 of 26334 Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes my goal was only to 'debug' what is happening not as a end result sorry if i didn't make that clear.

Daniel.

I will try that and see
post #16309 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I have pio kuro and run sony 5000es, sony ps3 and denon 4010 also a tivohd and never seen this on the avp. As been suggested already, probably worth asking classe to do some work on the handshake side of things

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #16310 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Do you get it at all within an input, with resolution changes? I've never seen it at all with my Oppo/AVP combination.

(BTW....one of my Oppos went buns up. That's the first time I've ever had an optical player fail. Hope it's just a fluke and not a reflection on their durability. )

No, this "phenomenon" only seems to happen when switching inputs. Once within an input, it's all good. I have the Oppo going into my AVP, then out to my pj. Now my HDMI cable from the AVP to the pj is 50'. I wonder if the long length of the HDMI cable has something to do with it?

Sorry to hear about your Oppo drive going out. See, we all should have gotten the uber-denon A1 in the first place.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #16311 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Alebonau,

Have you tried hitting pause and waiting a few seconds. Annoying at best but then maybe you won't miss those previews that the rest of us wish weren't forced onto disks we actually pay for. I view them as advertising and it's like paying to be advertised to.

I have the Oppo 83 and it doesn't do what yours does, maybe a half second or second switching time but not 6-7. Of course I am going into an AVP and not a Classé. I wonder if that's the difference. I would expect the manufacturer to blame another part of the system, with HDMI problems they always do.

In general the Oppo is very fast. I suspect it starts and changes faster than the Denon A1 or any other Denon (somebody must have measured this). And I have never had any HDMI handshake problems with it. There is the possibility that the two just don't like each other, by that I mean it's both pieces together that don't work but each is fine with other gear.

Sorry to hear about Progprog/s Oppo. Oppos are known for solid build and reliability but like all machines, they have a finite failure rate. Progprog was just unfortunate enough to get the 1 out of the 1 in XXXX equation.

AudioBear
post #16312 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBear View Post

Sorry to hear about Progprog/s Oppo. Oppos are known for solid build and reliability but like all machines, they have a finite failure rate. Progprog was just unfortunate enough to get the 1 out of the 1 in XXXX equation.

That's what I suspect as well- just an outlier. It's actually the newer of my two players, both of which have functioned flawlessly until now. Oppo's been great about it....they emailed a prepaid shipping label and seem to be anxious to get it fixed for me.
post #16313 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

They are known for that. It's part of what builds the loyal fan base.

AudioBear
post #16314 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

I realize this is the wrong forum, it's off topic, and it's probably been discussed ad infinitum elsewhere but I do have a follow-up comment regarding last week's discussion of HDMI 1.4, 4K, etc.

I am wonder if a person sitting 10-12 feet (3-4m) away from a 110" screen could tell the difference between 2K and 4K because of the limits of visual resolution of our eye. I may be wrong and welcome comment but if I read this

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

correctly you would have to be sitting about 5-8ft (1.5-2.5m) away from a 4K screen to tell the difference from a 2K resolution image. Is this correct and is it really why we shouldn't worry about 4K unless we are going really really big screen?

AudioBear
post #16315 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 01:51 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Audiobear,

I think you'll find different people notice different things and most guides a useless. Some guides will tell you that a 50" screen is a big as you'll need from 10' away. Some people will tell you there is no audio difference between a CD, SACD or vinyl.

I can't tell the difference between a $2 and a $200 bottle of wine - that doesn't mean there isn't a difference - just that I can't tell the difference. I can tell you the difference between budweiser, miller, sam adams etc.

If a $50 boombox sounds to a person as good as a $50,000 HT system they should go with the $50 boombox and save the money. If a person thinks that string art they found at a garage sale looks nice on their wall, they should get what makes them happy. I tend to notice video and audio improvements so for me 4K is something I'm looking forward to on any TV over 60". The bigger the screen as you say, the more noticeable.

I had someone ask me what brand of TV they should get for their office last week - I asked what size - they said 20" - I told them get the cheapest POS they could find because at that size just about anything looks good to me (although unwatchable unless I'm about a foot or less from the screen).
post #16316 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

boe

granted all you said, there is still a physical limit to the eyes resolution. A limit below which we cannot see two points, we will only see one. What I am asking is if at 10 feet or so on a 110" screen are we physically limited to about 2K resolution and 4K would be too fine to see the difference.

I can tell the difference in a 2 and 200 dollar bottle of wine but I can't afford the latter. I am however happy with 1080p. We are all different.

AudioBear
post #16317 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

I realize this is the wrong forum, it's off topic, and it's probably been discussed ad infinitum elsewhere but I do have a follow-up comment regarding last week's discussion of HDMI 1.4, 4K, etc.

I am wonder if a person sitting 10-12 feet (3-4m) away from a 110" screen could tell the difference between 2K and 4K because of the limits of visual resolution of our eye. I may be wrong and welcome comment but if I read this

correctly you would have to be sitting about 5-8ft (1.5-2.5m) away from a 4K screen to tell the difference from a 2K resolution image. Is this correct and is it really why we shouldn't worry about 4K unless we are going really really big screen?

Quote:

boe

granted all you said, there is still a physical limit to the eyes resolution. A limit below which we cannot see two points, we will only see one. What I am asking is if at 10 feet or so on a 110" screen are we physically limited to about 2K resolution and 4K would be too fine to see the difference.

I can tell the difference in a 2 and 200 dollar bottle of wine but I can't afford the latter. I am however happy with 1080p. We are all different.

I reckon it will have to be one of those things you have them both running side by side to do a proper comparison to see if it's worth it.

The cheapest 4k projector I've been told about is the Jvc worth 150k. I'm sure they will get cheaper but it will be intresting to see the difference.

Frank

post #16318 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alebonau,

Have you tried hitting pause and waiting a few seconds. Annoying at best but then maybe you won't miss those previews that the rest of us wish weren't forced onto disks we actually pay for. I view them as advertising and it's like paying to be advertised to.

I have the Oppo 83 and it doesn't do what yours does, maybe a half second or second switching time but not 6-7. Of course I am going into an AVP and not a Classé. I wonder if that's the difference. I would expect the manufacturer to blame another part of the system, with HDMI problems they always do.

In general the Oppo is very fast. I suspect it starts and changes faster than the Denon A1 or any other Denon (somebody must have measured this). And I have never had any HDMI handshake problems with it. There is the possibility that the two just don't like each other, by that I mean it's both pieces together that don't work but each is fine with other gear.

AB, I wasnt the one with the problem, I have used the denon 4010, sony 5000es and ps3 slim with my pio kuro with no handshake issues.

the new denons 4010 and I suspect the a1 are pretty fast. you just have to engage the quick start mode. quicker than the 5000es which I felt was pretty itself in that department.

re player issues the denons arent imune my 4010 is in to be fixed - a part replacement with the mechanism apparently. the local denon support has been fantastic on this as with my local retailer

post #16319 of 26334 Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

bear size of the screen will matter. some will argue 50" is barely enough for 1080 even. unless your sitting under couple meters away !

the only demonstration I have seen of 4k is for a special event in my city showing blade runner on a 20m wide screen !

like 3D, 4k in a domestic environment would be quite a bit of a compromise I reckon. To really appreciate these large projected screen as in a imax style theatres would be an absolute minimum I would think

post #16320 of 26334 Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Some people can read a book from 6' away and some people can't from 1' away. My eyes are nothing special but I can tell you I saw a few 4K screens at CES and for lack of a better term, they look less pixelated. That might not be the reason why but that is how they appeared to me, so I'm looking forward to 4K screens for home use. I am looking for an 80-90" screen and the 4K screens were between 70-150". I saw the 150 inch screen from about 10' away but the others I saw anywhere from 3' to 12' as you could walk right up to them.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page