Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 570 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #17071 of 26371 Old 07-02-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post

double, triple checked. The AVP has no problem recognizing bitstreamed TrueHD and STS-HD MA from my OPPO BDP-83.

Well then it's sounding like an HDCP issue. Have you checked your PH unit with anything else that can do those codecs, to be sure it is bitstreaming or that you did burn the codecs to those discs? The only other thing I can think of is if you have to do like a standard blu ray movie and select the codec output option in the disc's set up menu, but you more than likely already tried that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17072 of 26371 Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Comments? Hmm. It's a clumsy, expensive POS. Nothing works right on it. I think I'll sell it and get something that works exactly the way I want, right out of the box, without having to read the manual.

Amen.
post #17073 of 26371 Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Comments? Hmm. It's a clumsy, expensive POS. Nothing works right on it. I think I'll sell it and get something that works exactly the way I want, right out of the box, without having to read the manual.

I've never used the front panel scaler button. In fact, I very seldom open the front panel. If you need different configurations on one input, I'd suggest you set up a couple macros for it, or maybe use two of the Quick Select buttons.

Do we have a front panel??

Frank

post #17074 of 26371 Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 PM
CIH USER

Has Robert been directed to the wiki site? Lots of hints and tips for the avp.

Frank

post #17075 of 26371 Old 07-02-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Do we have a front panel??

Apparently....
post #17076 of 26371 Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 499
And here I thought it was just the fancy champagne-colored ones that had a front panel.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #17077 of 26371 Old 07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Well then it's sounding like an HDCP issue. Have you checked your PH unit with anything else that can do those codecs, to be sure it is bitstreaming or that you did burn the codecs to those discs? The only other thing I can think of is if you have to do like a standard blu ray movie and select the codec output option in the disc's set up menu, but you more than likely already tried that...

HDCP seems to handshake ok. I can bitstream DD and DTS ok as well. Unfortunately I don't have any other processors to try. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #17078 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

And here I thought it was just the fancy champagne-colored ones that had a front panel.

Hmm i never noticed this, was it installed as part of the last software firmware update ? .

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #17079 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post

HDCP seems to handshake ok. I can bitstream DD and DTS ok as well. Unfortunately I don't have any other processors to try. Thanks for the suggestions.

It almost sounds like its limited as with spdif to the old formats (bandwidth) or pcm. Maybe the source is downmixing or something ?

Daniel.

post #17080 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLA View Post

For those of you wondering if we will be able to upgrade to 1.4a, this may be a bigger concern:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...i-dead-hdbaset

I don't think this will happen, it seems to me that they indeed reuse the cables but that is not enough. The more inportant parts will the switches and protocols. In time they will all be ip based there is no room for a second network in our homes.

Remember : The internet will take over everything, all networks will become the internet. There is simple no reason to have multiple networks the cost/value simple will make multiple systems a hard sell.

Daniel.

post #17081 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 AM

I tried to use video select to listen to some music CD's, while watching the Wimbledon tennis so I selected my HDMI connected Direct TV receiver while using the CD input and got no video.

What I am doing wrong?

It seems it should work.
post #17082 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 09:47 AM

I am not getting any audio playing SACD's outputting from a digital connection to the receiver.

The player shows the SACD playing but no audio coming from the speakers.

Is it possible to get SACD audio to play using a digital connection, or must I input to the Ext In Inputs on the AVP.
post #17083 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert5545 View Post

I tried to use video select to listen to some music CD's, while watching the Wimbledon tennis so I selected my HDMI connected Direct TV receiver while using the CD input and got no video.

What I am doing wrong?

It seems it should work.

See p.45 in the manual: It is not possible to select HDMI input signals.
post #17084 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I am not getting any audio playing SACD's outputting from a digital connection to the receiver.

Is it possible to get SACD audio to play using a digital connection, or must I input to the Ext In Inputs on the AVP.

Check all your settings on both the player and the Denon. It does work (at least in some cases). I have used a PS3, Denon 3910, and 3930. The PS3 defaults to converting the SACD to LPCM though. I believe (but am not sure - been a while) that the 3910 used HDMI, though I am using Denon Link for the 3930. I also used to use an Oppo, but gave up on that because the SACD was horrible compared to the PS3 (this may have been before I got the AVP - not all implementations of SACD to PCM are good).
post #17085 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 02:39 PM

I saw that so how would you use these feature, and for what. Just about everything is video connected HDMI.

What was the idea behind this feature?

Thanks
post #17086 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:

I saw that so how would you use these feature, and for what. Just about everything is video connected HDMI.

Thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post11537571
post #17087 of 26371 Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 PM
PLA

Quote:

Are you using denon link? If so, check whether HDMI settings in your player is set to SACD out, that may be the issue.
post #17088 of 26371 Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

Just about everything HDMI is ruled by HDCP to some degree, most of the issues and limitations arising from HDMI have something to do with that. It's all about protecting against content pirating. The older formats like component don't have any such limitations which is why those signals can be sent anywhere. So the trick to doing what you want is to do an analog connection of your video source to an unused AVP input to watch the video feed while listening to music.
post #17089 of 26371 Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, as suggested many times here read your manuals!

The AVP will play any format you can send it over the connection you're using, if the AVP isn't playing it, it's not getting it from the source (or connection, i.e., you can't send DTS HD MA over toslink.)

The only exception right now might be a 3D signal.
post #17090 of 26371 Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have been following the discussion of a new Audyssey technology coming out in some new products: MultEQ XT32

The new Onkyo 5008/3008 receivers series range has been officially announced here (in Europe), and they feature MultEQ XT32.

What is MultEQ XT32 exactly? There has been speculation over on the Audyssey thread that it doubles the filter resolution of the satellite channels, going from 16x to 32x, which matches the capability of the stand-alone Audyssey Sound Equalizer (SEQ).

There has been no speculation on a possible increase to the subwoofer channel filter resolution, which is currently 128x for MultEQ XT and the SEQ. The Audyssey Sub EQ and the SVS AS-EQ1 stand-alone devices feature 512x subwoofer filter resolution.

We have not yet received confirmation from Audyssey, but 32x satellite filter resolution is a good bet, in my opinion.

So, my question is if anyone thinks the AVP has the available DSP resources to implement this new Audyssey technology. I realize this would be highly speculative at this stage of the game, but that is half the fun!

Thanks.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17091 of 26371 Old 07-07-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, Mark, I apologize off the top for being so dense about this, but I've just never really been into Audyssey so I haven't educated myself yet. Could you briefly explain what channel "filter resolution" means? I can tell from your post that more (32x vs 16x) is better, and I'm presuming that somehow makes Audyssey more accurate?
post #17092 of 26371 Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:

Okay, Mark, I apologize off the top for being so dense about this, but I've just never really been into Audyssey so I haven't educated myself yet. Could you briefly explain what channel "filter resolution" means? I can tell from your post that more (32x vs 16x) is better, and I'm presuming that somehow makes Audyssey more accurate?

Yes, it allows the filters more "resolution" to be applied to the acoustics problems measured in the room. Resolution is the term used on the Audyssey web site. I think it means there are more FIR filters used for each channel, but I could be wrong on that.

Mark

post #17093 of 26371 Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. One day, I'll learn all this stuff!
post #17094 of 26371 Old 07-07-2010, 11:17 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I have been following the discussion of a new Audyssey technology coming out in some new products: MultEQ XT32

The new Onkyo 5008/3008 receivers series range has been officially announced here (in Europe), and they feature MultEQ XT32.

What is MultEQ XT32 exactly? There has been speculation over on the Audyssey thread that it doubles the filter resolution of the satellite channels, going from 16x to 32x, which matches the capability of the stand-alone Audyssey Sound Equalizer (SEQ).

There has been no speculation on a possible increase to the subwoofer channel filter resolution, which is currently 128x for MultEQ XT and the SEQ. The Audyssey Sub EQ and the SVS AS-EQ1 stand-alone devices feature 256x subwoofer filter resolution.

We have not yet received confirmation from Audyssey, but 32x satellite filter resolution is a good bet, in my opinion.

So, my question is if anyone thinks the AVP has the available DSP resources to implement this new Audyssey technology. I realize this would be highly speculative at this stage of the game, but that is half the fun!

Thanks.

Mark

I was under the impression with the last update the SVS AS-EQ 1 was now at 512x resolution, correct me if I'm wrong.

As much it would be nice I cannot see it happening. I don't think the AVP will endure many more upgrades. There has been talk about the height channel upgrade but yet to be confirmed.

Frank

post #17095 of 26371 Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I was under the impression with the last update the SVS AS-EQ 1 was now at 512x resolution, correct me if I'm wrong.

As much it would be nice I cannot see it happening. I don't think the AVP will endure many more upgrades. There has been talk about the height channel upgrade but yet to be confirmed.

You are correct, sir! I will edit my post to correct that error.

Thanks!

Mark

post #17096 of 26371 Old 07-07-2010, 01:16 PM
CIH USER

Actually mark that new audyssey might be the answer for us European owners as we don't get the pro capabilities as you guys do with your AVP. Who knows we might see something

Frank

post #17097 of 26371 Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There has been no speculation on a possible increase to the subwoofer channel filter resolution, which is currently 128x for MultEQ XT and the SEQ. The Audyssey Sub EQ and the SVS AS-EQ1 stand-alone devices feature 512x subwoofer filter resolution.

Thanks.

Mark

I think it will be possible, the question is will it be for all modes and if not will they bother doing it in a 'mixed' solution.

There are 2 things that can be 'slow', first is the calculation that needs to be done. Only question there is are we will too wait longer on each step (if run on the avp and not externally like with pro). Does it have enough room to store the bigger settings.

The second is runtime, well we know the avp unlike other models can do all the modes mixed (hd decoding, thx modes and audyssey) on all 12 channels. They could drop some of these demands if decoding is too much. For example only apply the extra filters when in 2.x (so max 5 channels) mode saving cpu power on the 7 left. Or they might (probably not) reuse the other dsp to do some of the work and just disallow these new level for THX modes. This last is probably tricky since the 3 dsp's seem to have been assigned for different tasks.

It does make the possible October upgrade very interesting.

Daniel.

post #17098 of 26371 Old 07-07-2010, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

I think it will be possible, the question is will it be for all modes and if not will they bother doing it in a 'mixed' solution.

I think Chris from Audyssey, tonight just ended any speculation that it could happen in the Audyssey thread. It's not going to be something that is upgradeable by something like a simple firmware update.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=28493

"Sadly, it is not something that can be applied as a firmware upgrade to past products from Audyssey or from our licensees. It's a completely new way of measuring and processing and so it will only be available in new products going forward."
post #17099 of 26371 Old 07-08-2010, 07:39 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

I think Chris from Audyssey, tonight just ended any speculation that it could happen in the Audyssey thread. It's not going to be something that is upgradeable by something like a simple firmware update.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=28493

"Sadly, it is not something that can be applied as a firmware upgrade to past products from Audyssey or from our licensees. It's a completely new way of measuring and processing and so it will only be available in new products going forward."

Great news, and also a bummer.

Mark

post #17100 of 26371 Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Great news, and also a bummer.

Mark

Agree!!

Frank

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page