Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 633 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #18961 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellav View Post

I have the same issue. I purchased a Mac mini just before Christmas and no luck with the save. It works fine with PCs. Maybe there is a compatibility issue with Macs.

Thanks for anyone's input!

KrellAV

I have tried saving my configuration using an IMac, mac book air and an HP Laptop. No luck. I've tried on and off forever. I've pretty much given up. I made sure my power saving mode is turned off and that I do not have anything streaming. So I feel everyones pain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18962 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi
i just met with Denon Senior VP of sales and marketing Phil Cohn at DENON’S 100TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY. Denon Jeff was suppose to be there also but was stuck on the west coast because of weather. i started ask the questions and he wouldn't tell me much more than to be looking for an announcement within the next couple weeks that should answer all our questions. He said we will be happy. i pressed him and said he wasn't allowed to release anything. someone also asked about a dbp-4012ud. he said no to that but dbp-2012 will be released in march.
post #18963 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen View Post

hi
i just met with Denon Senior VP of sales and marketing Phil Cohn at DENON'S 100TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY. Denon Jeff was suppose to be there also but was stuck on the west coast because of weather. i started ask the questions and he wouldn't tell me much more than to be looking for an announcement within the next couple weeks that should answer all our questions. He said we will be happy. i pressed him and said he wasn't allowed to release anything. someone also asked about a dbp-4012ud. he said no to that but dbp-2012 will be released in march.

thanks bschaen for letting us know. Ok all it's time to do an avs friendly bet.

I bet that were only going to get airplay and a hardware upgrade with 3D passthrough and Hdmi 1.4.

Frank
post #18964 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Which Toslink port are you using on the AVP for output? ( I don't think the AVP has any COAX out ports ???)

How long does it take you to rip 1 LP - start to finish?

IIRC, I'm using the Zone 2 toslink output, but I suspect it really doesn't matter - just need to make sure you have the correct source selected for the output you are using.

The actual ripping just takes as long as it takes to play the LP of course . But the editing to split out the tracks (which I assume is what you're really asking about) is one of those things that will take a while the first time and gets quicker with practice. The time also depends on the number of tracks and I actually haven't done it for a while. As I recall, each track takes about a minute - Audacity shows a visual representation of the waveform, so it's pretty easy to identify the silence between tracks. Once you locate the breaks, you just need to experiment a bit to find when the track actually ends so you don't cut out any quiet parts at the end or include too much silence between tracks.
post #18965 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

thanks bschaen for letting us know. Ok all it's time to do an avs friendly bet.

I bet that were only going to get airplay and a hardware upgrade with 3D passthrough and Hdmi 1.4.

I'm not betting anything. I need to hold onto all my $$$ so I can afford to pay for the upgrade . I'd be reasonably happy if the upgrade were only for 3D. I'd be much happier if it includes other stuff that we actually want like Audyssey XT32, etc. I have absolutely no use for airplay. I dread getting it though because I'll be without my AVP for a week or so while it's off getting the upgrade. Unless I can find a way to borrow something, I'll be stuck listening to stuff on my TV speakers . I definitely don't condone buying something from a place like Best Buy and returning it when the AVP returns as it's a pretty sleazy thing to do IMHO even if their return policy allows it.
post #18966 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

IIRC, I'm using the Zone 2 toslink output, but I suspect it really doesn't matter - just need to make sure you have the correct source selected for the output you are using.

The actual ripping just takes as long as it takes to play the LP of course . But the editing to split out the tracks (which I assume is what you're really asking about) is one of those things that will take a while the first time and gets quicker with practice. The time also depends on the number of tracks and I actually haven't done it for a while. As I recall, each track takes about a minute - Audacity shows a visual representation of the waveform, so it's pretty easy to identify the silence between tracks. Once you locate the breaks, you just need to experiment a bit to find when the track actually ends so you don't cut out any quiet parts at the end or include too much silence between tracks.

Yeah - That's what I was after -Thanks. I was thinking about digitizing some of my better LPs but not really wanting to invest a lot of time with the entire process. Just curious, do you think you get better than CD sound from your digitized results (assuming you ripped at 24b/48 or better)?
post #18967 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

hi
i just met with Denon Senior VP of sales and marketing Phil Cohn at DENON'S 100TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY. Denon Jeff was suppose to be there also but was stuck on the west coast because of weather. i started ask the questions and he wouldn't tell me much more than to be looking for an announcement within the next couple weeks that should answer all our questions. He said we will be happy. i pressed him and said he wasn't allowed to release anything. someone also asked about a dbp-4012ud. he said no to that but dbp-2012 will be released in march.

Well, you know how those Sales & Marketing types are...........

Thanks for the update.
post #18968 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I'm not betting anything. I need to hold onto all my $$$ so I can afford to pay for the upgrade . I'd be reasonably happy if the upgrade were only for 3D. I'd be much happier if it includes other stuff that we actually want like Audyssey XT32, etc. I have absolutely no use for airplay. I dread getting it though because I'll be without my AVP for a week or so while it's off getting the upgrade. Unless I can find a way to borrow something, I'll be stuck listening to stuff on my TV speakers . I definitely don't condone buying something from a place like Best Buy and returning it when the AVP returns as it's a pretty sleazy thing to do IMHO even if their return policy allows it.

Don't care for the airplay either. But I don't think I'll send my unit in for the 3D upgrade.

Frank
post #18969 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

hi

How was the event otherwise? Was it well attended? Good demos?
post #18970 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post
Yeah - That's what I was after -Thanks. I was thinking about digitizing some of my better LPs but not really wanting to invest a lot of time with the entire process. Just curious, do you think you get better than CD sound from your digitized results (assuming you ripped at 24b/48 or better)?
IIRC, I've ripped at 24/48 and the quality was excellent. Whether it's better than CD is tough to answer as there are a lot of variables to consider including the CD authoring for any given CD, what kind of condition the specific LP is in, etc. I've got some CD's that sound fantastic (Mark Knopfler's Sailing To Philadelphia, for example) and some that sound dreadful. I hesitate to say that, yes it's better than CD and then have you go out and spend $2k on the Benchmark piece and come back disappointed but I really think it's something you need to decide for yourself. I'm very happy with the results, but the main objective was the convenience of adding some of my LP's to my ripped music collection.

I've also done the same thing with some cassette tapes that I wasn't able to replace on LP or CD with surprisingly good results. The tapes were played on a Nakamichi CR-7A that I have since sold.
post #18971 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
He said we will be happy.
Does he know it takes a lot to make us happy
post #18972 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Does he know it takes a lot to make us happy
If any Denon reps have been following this thread, they should know .
post #18973 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
if any denon reps have been following this thread, they should know :d.
Exactly.

Frank
post #18974 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen
hi
Thanks for being the avp man on the scene :-)
post #18975 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
hi
i just met with Denon Senior VP of sales and marketing Phil Cohn at DENON’S 100TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY. Denon Jeff was suppose to be there also but was stuck on the west coast because of weather. i started ask the questions and he wouldn't tell me much more than to be looking for an announcement within the next couple weeks that should answer all our questions. He said we will be happy. i pressed him and said he wasn't allowed to release anything. someone also asked about a dbp-4012ud. he said no to that but dbp-2012 will be released in march.
bschaen, thanks for the info!

Too bad about the 2012, I guess I'll just have to keep hoping Sony is working on a 5000es replacement. I hear Sony is clearing their stock of 5000es units - hopefully the reason is they have a new high end unit to replace it.
post #18976 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Don't care for the airplay either. But I don't think I'll send my unit in for the 3D upgrade.
I suppose it depends on what it would do for resale. If its less than $1000 US to upgrade I will probably do it even though I have no need for 3D. If HDMI 4 sticks and you don't have it, the resale value would be much lower.

Chris
post #18977 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschaen
hi
Good on you for asking the question, and am with franin, airplay and 3D hdmi v1.4

If they're generous xt32, but given it's not out the woods with the 4311, I can see them holding it back. From others have mentioned likely just a firmware update anyways. And if really hanging for it can just add an svs sub unit inexpensively anyways !

Look forward to what comes in a couple of weeks. I won't bother asking our aussie importer, as won't be wasting my time !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #18978 of 26432 Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus
I suppose it depends on what it would do for resale. If its less than $1000 US to upgrade I will probably do it even though I have no need for 3D. If HDMI 4 sticks and you don't have it, the resale value would be much lower.
For us over here going by past upgrades will be over $1000au+. I paid $1500au to upgrade the Denon AVC A1XVA to hdmi 1.3 and 1080p passthrough and when I traded it in ( was luck i was able to do so ) they priced it according to age they were not worried that I upgraded it.

Regarding HDMI I reckon there be different versions released.

Frank
post #18979 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
hi
Thanks for asking, i guess their 'hint' to CES timing was wrong and they aim it at their normal release moment in march.

I am with the others that i feel they will only replace the networkboard and videoboard so that limits what they can do. The audyssey upgrade depends on room/cpu already available in the platform.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #18980 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post
Thanks for asking, i guess their 'hint' to CES timing was wrong and they aim it at their normal release moment in march.

I am with the others that i feel they will only replace the networkboard and videoboard so that limits what they can do. The audyssey upgrade depends on room/cpu already available in the platform.

Daniel.
Hey Daniel the Denon guy said we would be happy so Audyssey XT32 and SubEQ are a given

Keeping my expectations real low so I can hopefully be pleasantly surprised.
post #18981 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 03:56 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz

Keeping my expectations real low so I can hopefully be pleasantly surprised.
So am I! as they say no expectations no disappointments.

Frank
post #18982 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaydoun View Post

I have tried saving my configuration using an IMac, mac book air and an HP Laptop. No luck. I've tried on and off forever. I've pretty much given up. I made sure my power saving mode is turned off and that I do not have anything streaming. So I feel everyones pain

I have had no issue saving to a PC. I don't know what to tell you as it seems you have assured the streaming is off. Are you running wireless or wired to the LAN? If wireless, try connecting a ethernet cable. It is not a speedy process at least for me. It takes 15-20 minutes and I am wired.

Anyone with any additional advice?

My home theater and AV equipment:

http://avppoaowners.wetpaint.com/photos
post #18983 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

hi

I appreciate your diligence regarding these questions. Enough with all the waiting!

I have no plans for a 3D display, but I'll likely spring for an AVP 3D update if the price is reasonable. The AVP was such a big investment for me, I'd like to keep it current for a few more years if I change my mind about 3D. Give us details, Denon!!
post #18984 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

How was the event otherwise? Was it well attended? Good demos?

it was worth going to.
i loved the LED Runco projector.
best picture i have seen.was watching avatar on these amazing seats.
didn't want to leave.

also demoed dbox....was pretty interesting.
denon's 100th aniversary headphones were excellent.

very cool whole house remote on a ipad.
post #18985 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellav View Post

I have had no issue saving to a PC. I don't know what to tell you as it seems you have assured the streaming is off. Are you running wireless or wired to the LAN? If wireless, try connecting a ethernet cable. It is not a speedy process at least for me. It takes 15-20 minutes and I am wired.

Anyone with any additional advice?

I've never had problems with it either, but it seems others in the past had issues with certain browsers. So my first suggestion, if someone has problems and they know they're following the correct procedure, is to try a different browser.

I use Firefox. I start with the AVP powered ON, navigate to the Save Configuration option in the Web GUI, and start the process. It's worth noting that it can take a long time before you get asked where to save the file....I assume the AVP is slow in generating the file....but it wouldn't surprise me if some owners have interrupted the process, thinking that nothing was happening. For me, it generally takes 5-10 minutes.
post #18986 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 646
I have 3 power amps I need the AVP to power on. The AVP has 4 trigger outs. Is it recommended to daisy chain the amps and just use trigger 1 on the AVP? Or go straight into the AVP with all 3 triggers? Does it even matter?

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #18987 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I have 3 power amps I need the AVP to power on. The AVP has 4 trigger outs. Is it recommended to daisy chain the amps and just use trigger 1 on the AVP? Or go straight into the AVP with all 3 triggers? Does it even matter?

I would have the AVP trigger something like a belkin power conditioner (inexpensive and reasonably good) which could then turn on the amps. I don't think I'd have all of them routed through your AVP for power.
post #18988 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I don't believe it matters. Using the triggers on the AVP could give you the option of turning off amps that aren't needed if you're not using all the speakers at any given time - you can configure them to turn on only when a surround mode is in use. But aside from that, I'd say go with which ever way is easier.
post #18989 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Thanks, guys. For the time being and for my convenience, I connected all 3 amps to the AVP triggers directly. I figure Denon gave us 4 triggers to use, might as well use them. And it works. Is there any way to add a delay to the individual triggers? For example, I'd like one amp to turn on, then a second or two later the other and a second or two later the third? Not sure if it's good to have them all power on at once.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #18990 of 26432 Old 01-28-2011, 07:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

Thanks, guys. For the time being and for my convenience, I connected all 3 amps to the AVP triggers directly. I figure Denon gave us 4 triggers to use, might as well use them. And it works. Is there any way to add a delay to the individual triggers? For example, I'd like one amp to turn on, then a second or two later the other and a second or two later the third? Not sure if it's good to have them all power on at once.

Nope, no delays are available. To do that, you'd need to have the 12 volt triggers turn on outlets on a power conditioner or other device that supports delays. For example, some of the Panamax products support doing that.

As a much less expensive alternative, if you google a bit and are just a tiny bit handy with a soldering iron, I believe there are some pretty simple instructions for building a delay circuit that can be found - you would just insert the gizmo you build inline with the 12 volt trigger cable.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page