Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 670 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #20071 of 26304 Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I used balanced only because it's available. I haven't done a comparison because in a normal system with reasonable cable lengths there's no reason for XLR's to "sound" better than RCA's or to use one over the other.

Thanks for the reply's the reason I asked I wasn't sure weather Denon kept the "high current pure Class A" output drivers in the single ended connections.

Also while reading this morning came across this link concerning the Denon Link
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20730707

It seems the more I read about these the more interested I become.

Also found this post kind of interesting.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3839

Would love to see Denon release a universal player with just digital connection and no analog circuitry like they did with the 2500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20072 of 26304 Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm a big proponent of keeping the signal digital as far down the food chain as you can go. Especially since I think the benefits of room correction are far more appreciable than most component changes. (I'm not including speakers and passive room treatments as "components" because I consider those as integral parts of the "room correction" package.)

In had the 2500 and 3930 combo, and got impatient waiting for a universal Denon transport and picked up a used 4010 to replace them. It's a great machine, however it's a waste of a good analog section in my system.
post #20073 of 26304 Old 07-24-2011, 10:31 AM

It's the mystery upgrade. I am been trying to find out what the upgrade fixed, added, or modified, but no one, not Denon USA support seem to know anything about it.

I think this is really strange.

Anyone have any knowledge about this upgrade?
post #20074 of 26304 Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Guys i"d like to stream some flacs with the avp from my pc.
Both are connected to a lan.I do stream from pc, through media player, using ethernet of course. How can i rip flacs , pass them to media player , and have avp play them?
Vista ultimate 64.

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #20075 of 26304 Old 07-25-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I've only tried to stream flac to the AVP using the USB port but I can tell you that the AVP will not stream 20 or 24 bit flac and the interface is so slow and clunky that you might want to consider another means of doing this like using the Logitech Squeezebox or Oppo BDP 93/95. The Squeezebox will play 2 channel 24/96 flac and the Oppo will play multichannel 24/192 flac.
post #20076 of 26304 Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Hi Frank.

If this update is for something that's exclusive to North American AVP's, then the rest of the world may not get it. I guess we'll know for sure when Denon Japan posts it on their website.

Seth

Hi Seth,

This firmware update simply disables Rhapsody until Denon reworks the firmware due to Rhapsody server changes.

Denon Changelog for this update for USA units only:

1- The problem not to play occurs until firmware is improved because the Rhapsody side changed a server.

captavs

Like 80's rock? Add Pirate Radio KQLZ (updated 8/21/11): http://174.127.65.10:80 to your http://www.radiodenon.com

Firmware update? http://denon-firmware-tracking.wetpaint.com/
post #20077 of 26304 Old 07-25-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Both are connected to a lan.I do stream from pc, through media player, using ethernet of course. How can i rip flacs , pass them to media player , and have avp play them?
Vista ultimate 64.

I used DBpoweramp (or something like it) and Accurip to rip cd's to my NAS drive & computer. The AVP can see any DNLA enabled device on your network and play the files, you don't need an external streamer unless as WillyJ suggests you're doing 20 or 24 bit flac etc.
Also as he suggests, it's a very clunky interface on the AVP, but the audio is pristine via this method.
With any luck the upcoming upgrade addresses this area and improves its' ability.
post #20078 of 26304 Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by captavs View Post

Hi Seth,

This firmware update simply disables Rhapsody until Denon reworks the firmware due to Rhapsody server changes.

1- The problem not to play occurs until firmware is improved because the Rhapsody side changed a server.

captavs

Thank you very much for the info on that. Well the update definitely wasn't a biggie, but it sure is good to know what it was for. I'll go ahead and add this info on the Wiki.

Seth
post #20079 of 26304 Old 07-25-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Vista ultimate 64.

Hi John,

Like you I also have been wanting to stream flac, especially 24/96 files. But as WillyJ mentioned, the AVP will not stream 20 and 24 Bit flac. It's interesting, but I used to be able to stream 16/44 flac (with a plug in) on Windows Media Player 11 on my old PC running Vista. But on my new PC that is Windows 7 with WMP 12, I can no longer stream any kind of flac. I may try streaming through the Oppo 93 and see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

I've only tried to stream flac to the AVP using the USB port but I can tell you that the AVP will not stream 20 or 24 bit flac and the interface is so slow and clunky that you might want to consider another means of doing this like using the Logitech Squeezebox or Oppo BDP 93/95. The Squeezebox will play 2 channel 24/96 flac and the Oppo will play multichannel 24/192 flac.

Count me as one of the minority, but I've been (for the most part) pretty happy using the AVP's interface to stream WAV's and 320 Kbps MP3's. After learning out how to search for artists and playlists by page search and by alphabet search, finding and playing what I want has been fairly painless. I use Twonky Media Manager as the server and it has worked very well for me.

As I mentioned to John, I do wish that the AVP would stream 24/96 flac files. Thank you for the tip on using the Oppo 93.

Seth
post #20080 of 26304 Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by captavs View Post

Hi Seth,

captavs

Finally someone had the answer. Thanks captavs.

Frank

post #20081 of 26304 Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
One further note on the FLAC files via AVP and the Oppo:

I should also mention that I have not seen any multichannel 24b/192k flac files yet - most of what I have seen are 2 channel 24b/192k and multi channel 24b/96k. This may be a current limitation on the technology but it is good to know the Oppo will play them should there ever be one found.

I have found that the bits are more important than the rate anyway. There is a big difference between 16 bit and 20 bit for example. And some DVD-Audio discs have a stereo layer that is 24b/192k and the multichannel at 24b/96k and they both sound pretty much the same to my ears, with respect to sound quality. In fact, some of the Steely Dan DVD-Audio discs are 24bit/44.1k and they sound pretty darn good as do the Beatles 20b/44.1k recent re-release on USB stick.

The resulting file size difference between the sample rates is HUGE too so you might want to think about that. One song ripped at 24/196 is well over the file size of an entire CD! But with hard drives so inexpensive now, it is not as important as a few years ago. Heck, it almost makes saving to WAV (an uncompressed music file type) practical now.
post #20082 of 26304 Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

I have always saved -riped my cd"s as wav files.
I don't care about file size since i rip only what i like to listen too and not entire hard discs with giga's.
Ok avp doesn't stream 24/196, can it stream pcm with the same bits/sampling rate?
I don't mind save some pcm files 24/196 , on my hard disc.

post #20083 of 26304 Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I caved in (again) and ordered a macbook air i7 (256SSD) and as a new streaming/server a macmini quadcore i7 (256SSD). I think the mini will make a great streamer/server for the next few years in combi with all my airplay and appletv's.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #20084 of 26304 Old 07-28-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

I caved in (again) and ordered a macbook air i7 (256SSD) and as a new streaming/server a macmini quadcore i7 (256SSD). I think the mini will make a great streamer/server for the next few years in combi with all my airplay and appletv's.

Daniel.

been using a mac mini as a music server for 6 months now & have not looked back,i thought i'd miss the denon link performance on my dbp-4010 when i sold it but the mini via optical sp-dif into the AVP is fantastic & browsing you're collection via remote on the ipad is very satisfying
post #20085 of 26304 Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Daniel.

wow nice pickups drool. macbook airs are the way to the future... !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason shep View Post

been using a mac mini as a music server for 6 months now & have not looked back,i thought i'd miss the denon link performance on my dbp-4010 when i sold it but the mini via optical sp-dif into the AVP is fantastic & browsing you're collection via remote on the ipad is very satisfying

let us know guys how you are using the mac mini with the avp, keen to know. am using a 160g atv hooked upto avp via hdmi and does a great job media wise. it is my media server period and works fantastically for the whole family

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #20086 of 26304 Old 07-29-2011, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

I think the Mac Mini is wasting its talents audio alone. I have my 2011 Mini hooked up to 8TB of storage full of movies etc. The best thing about this is the software I use - Plex. It creates a Kaleidescape style multimedia server, except that Plex is free.
post #20087 of 26304 Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM

Liked: 15
Assuming there are others using such a setting for vinyl replay can someone list the settings for the least interference by digital processing for a line-level input. My assumptions are:

1. phono stage is external so a straight line-level i/p and not the Denon's own vinyl i/p
2. Audyssey off (front pair or all)
3. Dynamic EQ off
4. Pure Direct shuts off the display & video circuits

This still leaves the SW symbol on, indicating some sort of crossover is active. My main L/R don't need it for stereo music.

I would appreciate some expert guidance to say if I've got this as close as possible to analogue bypass.
post #20088 of 26304 Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post

Assuming there are others using such a setting for vinyl replay can someone list the settings for the least interference by digital processing for a line-level input. My assumptions are:

1. phono stage is external so a straight line-level i/p and not the Denon's own vinyl i/p
2. Audyssey off (front pair or all)
3. Dynamic EQ off
4. Pure Direct shuts off the display & video circuits

This still leaves the SW symbol on, indicating some sort of crossover is active. My main L/R don't need it for stereo music.

I would appreciate some expert guidance to say if I've got this as close as possible to analogue bypass.

See this post.
post #20089 of 26304 Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you tried vinyl with Audyssey engaged? In my rig I actually prefer it, I certainly can't detect any degradation of signal from the A/D D/A conversion. If there is any it seems to be trumped by the benefits of the room correction in the overall presentation.
post #20090 of 26304 Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 AM

Yes I use it like that regularly - I was mostly concerned to make sure I knew how to go as 'pure' as possible if and when I want to.
post #20091 of 26304 Old 07-29-2011, 07:53 AM

Thanks gsr that post was exactly what I needed.
post #20092 of 26304 Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassop View Post

I think the Mac Mini is wasting its talents audio alone. I have my 2011 Mini hooked up to 8TB of storage full of movies etc. The best thing about this is the software I use - Plex. It creates a Kaleidescape style multimedia server, except that Plex is free.

I agree, If you have been following me you will probably know I've tried many ways to banish a computer from my setup but in the end i can't find the correct balance for me to both do what i want and not having a htpc. So the new quadcore i7 is indeed overkill for just audio but its a good starting point because if i use it with SSD and normally give it very slight tasks (feeding streams/data or using iTunes) it should be very power happy (about 17watts in that mode) and silent.

But it also gives me the freedom i have missed for a while to fiddle around with things like flex or xbmc and other hack projects to for example live convert to the iPads/appletv's. The new server is about 12x faster than the old G4 mini i banished a while back.

Daniel.

post #20093 of 26304 Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
wow nice pickups drool. macbook airs are the way to the future... !

let us know guys how you are using the mac mini with the avp, keen to know. am using a 160g atv hooked upto avp via hdmi and does a great job media wise. it is my media server period and works fantastically for the whole family
In the old days i used a macbook 12" and i am kind of happy to move back to a smaller device (13.3") instead of the 15.6" i was kind of forced to use for the last 6/7 years. Its mostly a weight thing for work i need lots of devices in my bag (iPad, android, iPhone, laptop, mifi/wifi, power plugs, cables for hooking up stuff in places i need to give talks etc etc). My aim these days is to add more devices but keep the same weight so cutting 2.5lbs from a laptop is a big deal .

Agreed on the appletv, i hardly use the old one (appletv 160) since i have 4 of the new models (some hacked some not, some in iOS5 mode) the mini will in many ways be the new server in the house but since its silent i hope to use it in my avrack not banish it to a other room. Ill post some info when i get it and played around with it.

As a sidenote, apple is making nice steps with the airplay idea (can't talk to much nda/developer thingie). This week i use the ipad2 in a hdmi dock to the avp -> scaler -> rs20 projector with the new bbc iplayer app and it works very well. I had to resize/scale the image with the scaler and make a preset. But i watched many hours of bbc stuff without a hitch or a puff. The quality is between a dvd and hd, being able to beam/throw video from place to place is so nice and most of the time 'it just works' is not just pr but puts a smile on my face.

Daniel.

post #20094 of 26304 Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

Agreed on the appletv, i hardly use the old one (appletv 160) since i have 4 of the new models (some hacked some not, some in iOS5 mode) the mini will in many ways be the new server in the house but since its silent i hope to use it in my avrack not banish it to a other room. Ill post some info when i get it and played around with it.

Daniel.

Why would you hack some? What's the benefit of doing so?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #20095 of 26304 Old 07-30-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
the high end AV processor market is kind of stuffed isnt it, look at anthem, one year down the track after being told it still cant do something basic as decoding the various surround formats and getting speaker levels right

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post20756825

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACCA350 View Post

Hi Nick, thanks for taking the time to have another look into these issues, I'll try and consolidate the information as I understand it.

1) DTS-HDMA 7.1
L/R channels -3dB, also SL/R content is played at reduced level in L/R speakers.

2) DTS-HDMA 5.1
+3dB increase across the board.
*L/R channels -3dB(*based on others feedback), also I assume SL/R content is played at reduced level in L/R speakers given the similarity of this issue to the tested 7.1 issue

3) Dolby TrueHD 7.1
-6dB on Center Rear channel when in 6.1 mode.

4) Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Untested

5) PLIIx
+3dB increase across the board on LPCM 5.1 and DTS-HDMA 5.1 sources.

The other issues, such as:
6) Dolby TrueHD 7.1
-4dB across the board

7) Legacy DTS 5.1
-3dB L/R channels
-2dB subwoofer channel

Are replicated in the OPPO BD-83 so they are either:
An encoding issue or
Both player and D2v have the same issue.

I have confirmed some of these issues with a Panasonic BD-30 Blu-ray player and a Toshiba HD-XE1 HD DVD player such as the +3dB across the board on DTS-HDMA 5.1 and the additional +3dB across the board on DTS-HDMA 5.1 and LPCM 5.1 with PLIIx.

I could run more tests using these other players but frankly given I brought these issues to light about a year ago and nothing came of it I'm tired of going around in circles on the issues. The information given should have been enough to warrant thorough investigation.

Cheers

whats more concerning is in all this time its something anthem continue to ignore. and either refuse ot or dont know how to fix

its a massive relief with our avp, we havent had problems such as this. I hope denon maintain their trouble free nature and where they do come in strife as with purple rain on the denon 4311 they continue to fix and sort out relatively quickly. lets hope when the update comes for avps later this year early next year it keeps our trouble free run going !

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #20096 of 26304 Old 07-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Wel i don"t see it that way.
When DENON finally exhales this product we will be releifed.
Finally.
I don"t have any problems with avp .
So i don:t care much of the upgrade. Sure i"d liket to have it but that"s it
I don"t feel i"m missing something. If you know what i mean.

post #20097 of 26304 Old 07-30-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the high end AV processor market is kind of stuffed isnt it, look at anthem, one year down the track after being told it still cant do something basic as decoding the various surround formats and getting speaker levels right

whats more concerning is in all this time its something anthem continue to ignore. and either refuse ot or dont know how to fix

its a massive relief with our avp, we havent had problems such as this. I hope denon maintain their trouble free nature and where they do come in strife as with purple rain on the denon 4311 they continue to fix and sort out relatively quickly. lets hope when the update comes for avps later this year early next year it keeps our trouble free run going !

My thoughts exactly. Anthem has had the D2V out for some time now, and I keep reading about various issues that owners are having. In all this time the D2V should be rock solid, but it's not. The AVP on the other hand is a joy to use, and is a very solid performer. IMO it's the best pre-pro on the market, and after the upgrade will continue to be. Let's hope as you said that the stability remains after the upgrade.

Seth
post #20098 of 26304 Old 07-31-2011, 02:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank alebonau. Im glad I stuck with the AVP.

Frank

post #20099 of 26304 Old 07-31-2011, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Don't know if this has been posted or not but it looks like Denon will also be including the DTS Neo:X with the upgrade

So happy.

It may however be for the European upgrade as it is now listed on their site, but the US site still doesn't menton it. Though one would assume the US would get it to.

I mean the royalty rates to DTS for this new added feature are only 30c-$1 -

Quote:

TWST: Let's talk about your DTS Envelo and the DTS Neo:X. Would you comment on a few price points for these products?

Mr. Kirchner: In general, our royalty rates tend to range in the neighborhood of $0.30 to just north of $1. And that pretty much applies across the board for various technologies that we have. In some cases they're bundled together in that price range but most are independently licensed for similar kinds of fees.

Here are the links-

http://denon.eu/3D-edition/de/

vs the US link with no mention yet of DTS Neo:X

http://avrupgrades.denon.com/

Nice to see Denon including the most up to date codecs with this upgrade and keeping the AVP-A1HD as the most up to date Pre/Pro as possible
post #20100 of 26304 Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

Don't know if this has been posted or not but it looks like Denon will also be including the DTS Neo:X with the upgrade

So happy.

It may however be for the European upgrade as it is now listed on their site, but the US site still doesn't menton it. Though one would assume the US would get it to.

I mean the royalty rates to DTS for this new added feature are only 30c-$1 -

Here are the links-

http://denon.eu/3D-edition/de/

vs the US link with no mention yet of DTS Neo:X

http://avrupgrades.denon.com/

Nice to see Denon including the most up to date codecs with this upgrade

Thanks Spizz. I had to delete my last post. I was set on not doing the update until you showed me that. Were also getting audyssey pro Looks like im back on board. Glad I didnt get the 4311.

Frank

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page