Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 732 - AVS Forum
First ... 730  731  732 733  734  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread.
dbaydoun's Avatar dbaydoun 02:08 PM 02-10-2012
I set my sub's crossovers to "inactive" and reran Audyssey. What a difference. Crossovers settings on the AVP make much more sense now and the bass is amazing. Super8 almost blew me off my seat! Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

rnrgagne's Avatar rnrgagne 02:23 PM 02-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaydoun View Post

I set my sub's crossovers to "inactive" and reran Audyssey. What a difference. Crossovers settings on the AVP make much more sense now and the bass is amazing. Super8 almost blew me off my seat! Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Good stuff! Enjoy.
Franin's Avatar Franin 04:26 PM 02-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Not many, if any

That's why the kit comes with a USB adaptor.

That's good. Thank you
Franin's Avatar Franin 04:50 AM 02-12-2012
Has any Australian owners who have done the upgrade have utilized the pro kit from audyssey?
JonFo's Avatar JonFo 07:40 AM 02-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Ha, I'm on my second lamp and my PJ's got a 5000 hr one. You guys are seriously under-performing!

Sorry, got you all beat: I have over 9,000 hrs on my Sony G70 CRT projector

It's pretty much end-of-life for those tubes, but they've been run at calibrated levels in a dark theater for ten years and it still throws a great image.

Can't wait to get something like a JVC RS65 but with LED illumination. Still holding out for 'no bulbs'
rnrgagne's Avatar rnrgagne 09:52 AM 02-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

It's pretty much end-of-life for those tubes, but they've been run at calibrated levels in a dark theater for ten years and it still throws a great image.

Can't wait to get something like a JVC RS65 but with LED illumination. Still holding out for 'no bulbs'

Yeah, no heat & 50,000 hrs ... bet that'll be expensive when it first comes out!
sheridd2's Avatar sheridd2 01:55 PM 02-12-2012
Got my baby back and installed today, after 4 weeks being away. Everything working fine, always a relief. Ran Audessey 32 and got all my settings in place.
Also had to reset the Denon 4th link with my Denon 4010.
Very pleased with results but will try some familar movies just to see how good the improvements are.
As per others, sound more detailed with better integration between fronts and surrounds.
BRADH's Avatar BRADH 02:19 PM 02-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridd2 View Post

Got my baby back and installed today, after 4 weeks being away. Everything working fine, always a relief. Ran Audessey 32 and got all my settings in place.
Also had to reset the Denon 4th link with my Denon 4010.
Very pleased with results but will try some familar movies just to see how good the improvements are.
As per others, sound more detailed with better integration between fronts and surrounds.

I am glad you got your AVP and everything is working correctly.

Brad
danielo's Avatar danielo 12:17 AM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

'

It was not about weight and size .

Daniel.
Franin's Avatar Franin 12:36 AM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

It was not about weight and size .

Daniel.

Hey Daniel did you get the opportunity to upgrade your AVP yet?
alebonau's Avatar alebonau 02:33 AM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hey Daniel did you get the opportunity to upgrade your AVP yet?

frank, I know you think Id say this anyways. but if can do the upgrade. I would. you know what its like in oz, its a very limited edition thing. they will do the update for only so long after that wont be offered. I'd hate for you to miss out ! Its definitely worth doing. theres no downside I can see at all.

the guys at jls told me as well we're very lucky we can even have an update such as this. and for an awesome unit the avp is its really the last update we probably need to worry about for a long time. for me quite likely this what take me out for another 4 years ! which is about twice as much as ever considered get out of a unit such as this

I'm glad I listened when you guys told me I should keep my avp, if sold it would have regrets. suggesting get the upgrade done as if dont I suspect will only have regrets

anyways dont take this as anything more than a friendly suggestion
Franin's Avatar Franin 04:12 AM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

frank, I know you think Id say this anyways. but if can do the upgrade. I would. you know what its like in oz, its a very limited edition thing. they will do the update for only so long after that wont be offered. I'd hate for you to miss out ! Its definitely worth doing. theres no downside I can see at all.

the guys at jls told me as well we're very lucky we can even have an update such as this. and for an awesome unit the avp is its really the last update we probably need to worry about for a long time. for me quite likely this what take me out for another 4 years ! which is about twice as much as ever considered get out of a unit such as this

I'm glad I listened when you guys told me I should keep my avp, if sold it would have regrets. suggesting get the upgrade done as if dont I suspect will only have regrets

anyways dont take this as anything more than a friendly suggestion

Thanks al I'm really thinking about it but you are correct in what you are saying.

Cheers
DoctorO's Avatar DoctorO 08:55 AM 02-13-2012
How does one restore a source in the source menu after it has been set to be skipped? I can't find it in the manual...
rnrgagne's Avatar rnrgagne 09:30 AM 02-13-2012
I finally had a chance to run a full 15 point pro calibration in the finished lay-out and do some critical listening this weekend.
I did do a 13 point one when I first set up the room, and knew there was something special with XT32 right away despite having the sub in a crappy location. I've only done a couple of hasty six point calibrations since I moved the sub. (So hasty I didn't even noticed I'd turned on the sub's bass contour where it gives a big boost to a specific frequency.)

I wish I could have have had XT32 in the treated room I had previously, I'd be curious to hear how it would have done in there.

But as a testament to the upgrade, its performance in my untreated room with a lesser sub is equal to the results I got from the XT, and in some cases better. The bass has no bloat with music, maintains excellent "tonality" and still has impact with movies. The top end is where I thought the untreated room would lead to brightness, but it's not the case at all, it's at least equal, and in some cases like vocal sibilance it's actually better.
The only negative is with two channel music the sound-stage seems to be a bit more "inside" the width of the mains. I've got a hunch that has more to do with speaker placement in a slightly wider room than Audyssey. When I get around to coming up with some WAF friendly treatments I'll do some more work there.
If someone else posted pics of my room I'd be all over them for the lack of treatments lol! So now I'm the pot calling the kettle black. Oh well, at least I have something to look forward to.
DJB of Poole's Avatar DJB of Poole 10:47 AM 02-13-2012
Has anyone any explanation for why Pro Tools does not recognise my AVP-A1HDCI as being that model. It seems to think it is an AVC-5805. The firmware is fully up to date - no I have not upgraded to the new hardware.

I am talking to Audyssey but thought someone might have experienced the problem.
Sam S's Avatar Sam S 11:31 AM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I finally had a chance to run a full 15 point pro calibration in the finished lay-out and do some critical listening this weekend.
I did do a 13 point one when I first set up the room, and knew there was something special with XT32 right away despite having the sub in a crappy location. I've only done a couple of hasty six point calibrations since I moved the sub. (So hasty I didn't even noticed I'd turned on the sub's bass contour where it gives a big boost to a specific frequency.)

I wish I could have have had XT32 in the treated room I had previously, I'd be curious to hear how it would have done in there.

But as a testament to the upgrade, its performance in my untreated room with a lesser sub is equal to the results I got from the XT, and in some cases better. The bass has no bloat with music, maintains excellent "tonality" and still has impact with movies. The top end is where I thought the untreated room would lead to brightness, but it's not the case at all, it's at least equal, and in some cases like vocal sibilance it's actually better.
The only negative is with two channel music the sound-stage seems to be a bit more "inside" the width of the mains. I've got a hunch that has more to do with speaker placement in a slightly wider room than Audyssey. When I get around to coming up with some WAF friendly treatments I'll do some more work there.
If someone else posted pics of my room I'd be all over them for the lack of treatments lol! So now I'm the pot calling the kettle black. Oh well, at least I have something to look forward to.

Nice review.

Have any AVP owners that did the upgrade come from using the SVS AS-EQ1 on the sub and compared the XT32 performance on the .1 channel?
BRADH's Avatar BRADH 11:34 AM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post

How does one restore a source in the source menu after it has been set to be skipped? I can't find it in the manual...

Hi Doc.

Manual setup-option setup-then source delete, find the source you deleted and arrow over and turn it back on.

Brad
DJB of Poole's Avatar DJB of Poole 04:16 PM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post

Has anyone any explanation for why Pro Tools does not recognise my AVP-A1HDCI as being that model. It seems to think it is an AVC-5805. The firmware is fully up to date - no I have not upgraded to the new hardware.

I am talking to Audyssey but thought someone might have experienced the problem.

Mine is the AVP-A1HD(A) not 'CI', an unpleasant development - it has been suggested to me by Audyssey that there are some AVP-A1HD models that are not compatible with Pro Tools and I have one! A fine time to discover that. Where was this key information to be found? Please, has anyone got any knowledgeable comment to offer? Best of all, anyone from Denon Europe?

It seems that the XT32 3D upgrade does make the device compatible - but that is $2000 in the UK. Is it worth it ?
alebonau's Avatar alebonau 06:42 PM 02-13-2012
Quote:

Mine is the AVP-A1HD(A) not 'CI', an unpleasant development - it has been suggested to me by Audyssey that there are some AVP-A1HD models that are not compatible with Pro Tools and I have one! A fine time to discover that. Where was this key information to be found? Please, has anyone got any knowledgeable comment to offer? Best of all, anyone from Denon Europe?

It seems that the XT32 3D upgrade does make the device compatible - but that is $2000 in the UK. Is it worth it ?

djb its previously only been the us that had pro capability on avps due to the network they had setup there. I might be wrong but the avp never was pro enabled in europe, its why wasnt the case in oz either as we get the same euro version. the current update does indeed make audyssey pro capable for euro units
Franin's Avatar Franin 07:47 PM 02-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

djb its previously only been the us that had pro capability on avps due to the network they had setup there. I might be wrong but the avp never was pro enabled in europe, its why wasnt the case in oz either as we get the same euro version. the current update does indeed make audyssey pro capable for euro units

That's correct Al. Btw are you going to give the pro kit a go Al?
SJHT's Avatar SJHT 10:52 PM 02-13-2012
Quote:

I only spent $1000 for the upgrade so hard to comment on double the amount. What I can tell you is that it is like having a different unit. It is soooo much more transparent with the sound it frankly is a completely different sound than my pre upgraded unit. Huge improvement. The AVP really shines with the upgrade. SJ
DJB of Poole's Avatar DJB of Poole 02:54 AM 02-14-2012
Denon UK technical confirmed to me this morning that Pro Tools cannot be made to work with the pre-upgrade model. There is no firmware-only upgrade path. Only the Stateside AVP-A1HDCI model works.
jason shep's Avatar jason shep 03:11 AM 02-14-2012
Quote:

Denon UK technical confirmed to me this morning that Pro Tools cannot be made to work with the pre-upgrade model. There is no firmware-only upgrade path. Only the Stateside AVP-A1HDCI model works.

Yeah I was miffed as to why the pro capability was omitted but i can honestly say the upgrade is worth the £1200 & I'm looking forward to a pro calibration as a final step in getting the very best from my AVP.
danielo's Avatar danielo 08:01 AM 02-14-2012
Quote:

This had todo with the 'fact' that we didn't have a 'CI' program in place in europe. The CI is a installers program that needed interaction with a installer network. No network in europe resulted in no CI program so no audyssey pro. Now they do have a 'kind of CI' program in most eu countries they added the feature i guess. It was always weird euro models didn't have it and with 'smart' users who want the pro version its a good idea they added it now.

Daniel.
jason shep's Avatar jason shep 09:02 AM 02-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post

and with 'smart' users who want the pro version its a good idea they added it now.

Daniel.

Not sure I fit that description Daniel but I'm willing to try !!!

I am actually really looking forward to finally being able to get a kit & do a pro setup,once I've recovered from the financial strain of the upgrade that is !
rnrgagne's Avatar rnrgagne 09:49 AM 02-14-2012
Quote:

A fine time to discover that. Where was this key information to be found??

Well it's been discussed a ton here, even before you bought your AVP. You just needed to read more of the 20,000+ posts!
DoctorO's Avatar DoctorO 12:45 PM 02-17-2012
Source for buying the Audyssey Pro Kit if you live out in nowheresville?
giomania's Avatar giomania 01:24 PM 02-17-2012
Quote:

If you lived in Whoville, I would have directed you to the Grinch, but nowheresville is anybody's guess.

Mark
Johnla's Avatar Johnla 01:52 PM 02-17-2012
Quote:

Here is where I bought mine from.

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.c...words=audyssey
DoctorO's Avatar DoctorO 06:38 PM 02-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Here is where I bought mine from.

http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.c...words=audyssey

Good lead! Then the license is purchased direct from Audyssey, right?
Tags: Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers
First ... 730  731  732 733  734  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop