Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 739 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #22141 of 26371 Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
^^
Yup.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22142 of 26371 Old 03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Yup.

Can you PM me with the name of the tech you spoke to? I am getting ready to take mine in to them for the upgrade and want to make sure I get it to the right person. You know, when your son goes to the hospital you need to make sure he gets the best care possible.
post #22143 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

Hello guys.
I encountered a broblem today , i can"t solve. \\
The middle enter/pause button on the remote does not work.
While streaming music from my server- pc through avp"s interface pause button does nothing.It used to work. Not today though. Tried both remotes, tried onboard button , nothing. Tried a power down even through the small power off button and power on again , nothing.
Any ideas? except a microprocessor reset?

???

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #22144 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Suddenly after 5 years of dependable operation I have a problem with the avp.
The left back channel is not working properly, or should I say it plays very very softly compared to other channels.
The funny thing is that I tried to use other channels by reassigning to FR-A, and the same thing happens. The only left channel that works is the front L.

Now, I will personally bring in the machine to a Denon for repair, and I'm thinking to do the upgrade as well, since I there...
My question is, does anyone know a trustworthy service center near new york?
I called one in nj and the person I spoke over the phone didn't seem to know there is an upgrade available for the avp ... then he said its a 3d upgrade...!

Talking about that: Do you guys recommend the upgrade even thou, the Denon is used only in a 4 speakers configuration, without subs?
I have been detouched from the forum and I'm quite behind in the "know" about it.

Thanks.
post #22145 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomark911 View Post

???

Save your config.dat file to PC, then do a reset. No telling if it will fix your problem until you try.
post #22146 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

I called one in nj and the person I spoke over the phone didn't seem to know there is an upgrade available for the avp ... then he said its a 3d upgrade...!

Talking about that: Do you guys recommend the upgrade even thou, the Denon is used only in a 4 speakers configuration, without subs?
I have been detouched from the forum and I'm quite behind in the "know" about it.

Thanks.

The upgrade does allow 3D video to pass through the AVP. Although the advantage of XT32 is the ability to EQ dual subs, the increase in speaker filters from XT to XT32 is far more significant than with sub filters (ie. 32x more speaker filters and only 4x more sub filters). With XT it is better to use a sub as there are far more sub filters than speaker filters, however, with XT32 there are the same number of speaker and sub filters so the use of an external sub becomes less of an issue with front mains capable of lower frequency reproduction (ie. with your configuration).

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #22147 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone here had the upgrade performed in the mid-Atlantic region - DC, Baltimore, VA and can recommend a service center that knows what they're doing? The closest is Just Audio Repair Center in Baltimore, MD. Crutchfield will only service units purchased from them. Thanks
post #22148 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

Hello,
My question is, does anyone know a trustworthy service center near new york?

I used
Technetron Electronic Inc.
36 E. 29th Street
Tel.: (212) 725-8778
for AVP Upgrade and for repair of a POA.
They did a very good job.
post #22149 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The upgrade does allow 3D video to pass through the AVP. Although the advantage of XT32 is the ability to EQ dual subs, the increase in speaker filters from XT to XT32 is far more significant than with sub filters (ie. 32x more speaker filters and only 4x more sub filters). With XT it is better to use a sub as there are far more sub filters than speaker filters, however, with XT32 there are the same number of speaker and sub filters so the use of an external sub becomes less of an issue with front mains capable of lower frequency reproduction (ie. with your configuration).

Ok, Thanks. I understand your point and it makes sense. I'll give an hard thought about it.
post #22150 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Res View Post

I used
Electronic Inc.
36 E. 29th Street
Tel.: (212) 725-8778
for AVP Upgrade and for repair of a POA.
They did a very good job.

I called Denon and they suggested Panurgy, along Technetron. Thanks for the feedback.
post #22151 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:

Has anyone here had the upgrade performed in the mid-Atlantic region - DC, Baltimore, VA and can recommend a service center that knows what they're doing? The closest is Just Audio Repair Center in Baltimore, MD. Crutchfield will only service units purchased from them. Thanks

I had my AVP-A1HDCI upgraded by Just Audio recently. I was the first one they did. Everything went wrong. The network card was bad. It took a month to get the new one. Then, their upgrade installation equipment (laptop and jig) did not work. They had to get one of each over nighted (which didn't take over night) from Denon in NJ. Eventually, they got the upgrade installed, correctly. On the other hand, they saved my orginial settings, and re-imported all of them (saving me many hours of reconfiguration.)

They now know what they are doing. All future upgrades will benefit from my experience.

(B)(G)(R) BlendZilla Up Over (R)(G)(B)
post #22152 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkosmann View Post

I had my AVP-A1HDCI upgraded by Just Audio recently. I was the first one they did. Everything went wrong. The network card was bad. It took a month to get the new one. Then, their upgrade installation equipment (laptop and jig) did not work. They had to get one of each over nighted (which didn't take over night) from Denon in NJ. Eventually, they got the upgrade installed, correctly. On the other hand, they saved my orginial settings, and re-imported all of them (saving me many hours of reconfiguration.)

They now know what they are doing. All future upgrades will benefit from my experience.

Damn that sucks. I am wondering how they re-imported your settings? Surely, you re-ran Audyssey? I can't imagine re-importing input and soundfield settings is even possible, based on the new menu architecture and options. Weird.

In other good news, my LAN port now works. I popped the top and pushed down on the connectors pictured below. They seemed to be seated already, but the port started working again once I powered the AVP on.
LL
post #22153 of 26371 Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Damn that sucks. I am wondering how they re-imported your settings? Surely, you re-ran Audyssey? I can't imagine re-importing input and soundfield settings is even possible, based on the new menu architecture and options. Weird.

In other good news, my LAN port now works. I popped the top and pushed down on the connectors pictured below. They seemed to be seated already, but the port started working again once I powered the AVP on.

That's great news Sam. I am glad you fixed it without having to take back in.

Brad
post #22154 of 26371 Old 03-14-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

I'm not one to say I told you so, but .....

Good stuff though.
post #22155 of 26371 Old 03-14-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADH View Post

That's great news Sam. I am glad you fixed it without having to take back in.

Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

I'm not one to say I told you so, but .....

Good stuff though.

yaaaa!! I'm in AVP heaven again

Now I need to work on the Pro kit.

Also, I've been playing around with DynamicEQ for the first time. It took me a while (and a lot of reading) to get my head around the 0/5/15/Off settings. But now I know that 15dB provides the least amount of EQ adjustment at low volume, so it's the closest setting to Off. 0dB offers up too much correction at low volumes, for my taste. I guess it will be OK on movies, but I'll have to do more listening.
post #22156 of 26371 Old 03-14-2012, 08:57 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Correct. After running AUTO SETUP and with Dyn EQ enabled, as the master volume drops "below" 0db the amount of bass/surround boost is increased so the more you "offset" the reference volume (ie. -5db, -10db, -15db), the more you reduce the impact of the bass/surround boost at the same master volume setting.

"JD" –

post #22157 of 26371 Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^
Correct. After running AUTO SETUP and with Dyn EQ enabled, as the master volume drops "below" 0db the amount of bass/surround boost is increased so the more you "offset" the reference volume (ie. -5db, -10db, -15db), the more you reduce the impact of the bass/surround boost at the same master volume setting.

That is the perfect explanation. The manual confuses things because it talks about the dynamics of music applicable for each setting, leading to believe it behaves similar to Dynamic Volume.
post #22158 of 26371 Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall seeing any talk about the new HDMI Video Direct button/feature? I noticed last night, it puts "VD" by the source name when in use. Is this required for 3D pass through?

I'm not even sure what Denon means when they say (in the manual):
When the video direct function is on, temporary
display in the GUI menu cannot be used.

Does this mean you can't overlay the volume display? I don't use that feature.
post #22159 of 26371 Old 03-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Liked: 15
OK all you experts. I've just got my AVP back from the upgrade and everything seems OK except I cannot get BD discs on my DVD A1 to 'talk' to the AVP using D-Link. I know it has been a couple of weeks since it went away but what have I forgotten about setup? This is sooo frustrating when much of the re-setting has gone so smoothly. When I press play on a BD disc the D-Link sign on the AVP goes out - I think everything is going via HDMI. Why? Reminders please.

post #22160 of 26371 Old 03-15-2012, 05:13 PM
PLA

Liked: 11
Page 9 of forum had the instructions. After upgrade you have to set AVP-1 to HDMI control "on" in set up menu but also have to redo HDMI handshake as per instructions
post #22161 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLA View Post

Page 9 of forum had the instructions. After upgrade you have to set AVP-1 to HDMI control "on" in set up menu but also have to redo HDMI handshake as per instructions

Thanks for this - it worked. I set the HDMI control to ON and then hot-plugged the DVD to redo the handshake. Much appreciated.

Now, why, when I play DTS HD-Master discs does the AVP simply say Multi Channel In? Before it said DTS HD Master on the display.
post #22162 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 AM
PLA

Liked: 11
If you are sending a bitstream, it will say DTS, if PCM, it will say multichannel.
post #22163 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLA View Post

If you are sending a bitstream, it will say DTS, if PCM, it will say multichannel.

Further thanks PLA - bitstream output took a bit of finding in the menu labyrinth but I got there.
post #22164 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 AM

My AVP returned 16 days after it left. The upgrade seems to have gone smoothly and I've only had minor issues getting it up and running, mostly to do with obscure settings I'd forgotten. Initial impressions are that the unit sounds considerably better than it did. XT32 must be the source of this improvement. I've only run the auto setup so far and it sounds smoother and more detailed on music - it also processed the test tones much more quickly than plain XT. The bass seems fuller and yet more controlled. Very pleasing. I'll have a go at the Pro Tools in a few days to try and optimise things. Hopefully this will settle the issue over whether my rear speakers are 'large' or 'small'. I ran the setup twice yesterday and today and got both results! The speakers in question are ATC Active 50s, hardly my idea of a small speaker! I've yet to watch a whole film to see if anything has improved there but pictures were always good anyway so I don't expect much change. It is the sound that is important for me.
post #22165 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM

Small or large speaker is not about size or performance, it's only about redirecting low frequencies to your sub(s), or not. I assume you have at least one sub since you get the option of choosing small. Let your sub(s) handle the low frequencies, that's what they're made for...

David
post #22166 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post

Very pleasing. I'll have a go at the Pro Tools in a few days to try and optimise things. Hopefully this will settle the issue over whether my rear speakers are 'large' or 'small'. I ran the setup twice yesterday and today and got both results!

That's not unusual, since it is determined by in-room frequency extension moving the mic even a couple of inches can make a difference on what it "hears". I wouldn't concern myself with surround rears too much.

When you get the Pro, even if it defaults to Denon's idea of large or small, it'll "reccomend" the best x-over point for each grouping of speakers.
post #22167 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 PM

Recently I am having some problems with the 5.1 audio not locking synching when watching 5.1 material with the AVP. It happened last night when I tried to watch some of the NCAA games, audio kept skipping, jittering.

This is something new with the AVP happening with 5.1 material DD DirectTV. Wondering if I have a problem with the AVP.

Do I need to reset the HDMI?

If so, how?

Comments.

Anyone else experiencing this problem.

Thanks
post #22168 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it's your DirecTV box? Can it lock on a DD5.1 signal from your DVD player?
post #22169 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Hi Guys

I'm once again re-visiting the idea of getting the AVP as a replacement for my Pioneer SC09 flagship receiver. I should have bought the AVP in 2008 & gone separates instead of the Pioneer but that's a mistake I can't undo now

I have some hardware questions & some functionality ones that I'd like to ask - hopefully some of you long-term owners can help me with. I like to do a lot of homework before I buy, and over the past 4 yrs, I got to know the components & tech behind the Pioneer pretty well. I'd like to do the same to compare functionality before deciding on swapping gear.

1. Denon is kind of vague in describing all that Advanced AL24 does. I know it increases bits to 24. But does it increase sampling freq and to what rate, 96 or 192? Is it active all the time on all sources - DenonLink, SPDIFl, HDMI and analog? Or is it only used on select ones? Can it be turned on/off manually?

Pioneer uses a Burr Brown sample rate conversion chip, the SRC4193, to upsample to 192/24. Is this the same type of technology behind AL24?

2. Can someone point me in the direction of someone who can help me (ahem) obtain a service manual? I really like to know details on how its built so I can compare to the SC-09 - which I have the sm for, thanks to a kind forum member I'd be happy to discuss in a PM

3. Audyssey - with the upgraded XT32, does a SVS AS-EQ1 still have any use? I bought one used late last yr and if it won't add anything to what's already in an updated AVP, I can sell it.

4. Is it possible to have just the Audyssey Multi32 update but not install all the rest? I do use an A & B set of side surrounds and have no plans to go to heights/widths.

5. And the AVP can do an A/D/A conversion to apply bass mgmt & processing to the multichannel inputs?

6. If I had one of the older uni players, say the 3930, just for music, is DL4 backwards compatible to DL3 or do you have to manually select which one to use for the player being selected? I have several BD players already, one with a version of Pioneer's PQLS & an Oppo, so nothing with DenonLink. My older Pioneer 59avi is connected with Ilink so with the SC-09 also has full PQLS. My main interest in jitter control would be for music.

7. Are SACD's automatically sent as DSD to the AVP or can they remain 88.2/176 PCM to apply processing? I assume all processing can be applied to SACD/DVD-Audio.

I realize this is a lot. I've had the oper manual for several yrs & read thru it but there's nothing that replaces experienced users.

This will help me decide which route to go, AVP, 4311 as a prepro or stay with the Pioneer for 1 more year.

Thanks, everyone. You have a great thread which I've lurked in for a long time & lusted for the AVP for as long

Steve
post #22170 of 26371 Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I'll take a stab at some of this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

3. Audyssey - with the upgraded XT32, does a SVS AS-EQ1 still have any use? I bought one used late last yr and if it won't add anything to what's already in an updated AVP, I can sell it.

You can sell the SVS as there won't be any need for it.

Quote:

4. Is it possible to have just the Audyssey Multi32 update but not install all the rest? I do use an A & B set of side surrounds and have no plans to go to heights/widths.

No, the update is an all or nothing upgrade.

Quote:

5. And the AVP can do an A/D/A conversion to apply bass mgmt & processing to the multichannel inputs?

Yes. I believe we've discovered that it can also do (limited) bass management without needing to digitize the multichannel inputs.

Quote:

6. If I had one of the older uni players, say the 3930, just for music, is DL4 backwards compatible to DL3 or do you have to manually select which one to use for the player being selected? I have several BD players already, one with a version of Pioneer's PQLS & an Oppo, so nothing with DenonLink. My older Pioneer 59avi is connected with Ilink so with the SC-09 also has full PQLS. My main interest in jitter control would be for music.

DL4 is only used for Dolby True HD / DTS HD Master Audio and encompasses DL3, so you don't have to do anything special to connect a 3930CI other than hook up the DenonLink cable.

Quote:

7. Are SACD's automatically sent as DSD to the AVP or can they remain 88.2/176 PCM to apply processing? I assume all processing can be applied to SACD/DVD-Audio.

That's a function of how you configure your player. The Oppo, for instance has a setting for sending DSD or PCM. I'm pretty sure some amount of processing is unavailable when receiving DSD, but others will jump in and provide more details.

Quote:

This will help me decide which route to go, AVP, 4311 as a prepro or stay with the Pioneer for 1 more year.

I also have a 4311 in my bedroom system and while it's a great receiver (especially for the deals that can currently be had), the AVP is built to a higher standard. If you can swing it and plan to use external amps, definitely go with the AVP over the 4311.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page