I'm once again re-visiting the idea of getting the AVP as a replacement for my Pioneer SC09 flagship receiver. I should have bought the AVP in 2008 & gone separates instead of the Pioneer but that's a mistake I can't undo now
I have some hardware questions & some functionality ones that I'd like to ask - hopefully some of you long-term owners can help me with. I like to do a lot of homework before I buy, and over the past 4 yrs, I got to know the components & tech behind the Pioneer pretty well. I'd like to do the same to compare functionality before deciding on swapping gear.
1. Denon is kind of vague in describing all that Advanced AL24 does. I know it increases bits to 24. But does it increase sampling freq and to what rate, 96 or 192? Is it active all the time on all sources - DenonLink, SPDIFl, HDMI and analog? Or is it only used on select ones? Can it be turned on/off manually?
Pioneer uses a Burr Brown sample rate conversion chip, the SRC4193, to upsample to 192/24. Is this the same type of technology behind AL24?
2. Can someone point me in the direction of someone who can help me (ahem) obtain a service manual? I really like to know details on how its built so I can compare to the SC-09 - which I have the sm for, thanks to a kind forum member
I'd be happy to discuss in a PM
3. Audyssey - with the upgraded XT32, does a SVS AS-EQ1 still have any use? I bought one used late last yr and if it won't add anything to what's already in an updated AVP, I can sell it.
4. Is it possible to have just the Audyssey Multi32 update but not install all the rest? I do use an A & B set of side surrounds and have no plans to go to heights/widths.
5. And the AVP can do an A/D/A conversion to apply bass mgmt & processing to the multichannel inputs?
6. If I had one of the older uni players, say the 3930, just for music, is DL4 backwards compatible to DL3 or do you have to manually select which one to use for the player being selected? I have several BD players already, one with a version of Pioneer's PQLS & an Oppo, so nothing with DenonLink. My older Pioneer 59avi is connected with Ilink so with the SC-09 also has full PQLS. My main interest in jitter control would be for music.
7. Are SACD's automatically sent as DSD to the AVP or can they remain 88.2/176 PCM to apply processing? I assume all processing can be applied to SACD/DVD-Audio.
I realize this is a lot. I've had the oper manual for several yrs & read thru it but there's nothing that replaces experienced users.
This will help me decide which route to go, AVP, 4311 as a prepro or stay with the Pioneer for 1 more year.
Thanks, everyone. You have a great thread which I've lurked in for a long time & lusted for the AVP for as long