Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 873 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #26161 of 26334 Old 06-12-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks so much Ganymed for the rundown on the Audyssey pro kit.I managed to contact Audyssey and posted my response and i must say it was very positive in being able to help me purchase one. For me personally the kit will be a huge benefit as my room is dedicated seperate from the house and is quite large at 8.5m x 5.5 metres so being able to take more measurements is a huge plus for me.Thanks again

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26162 of 26334 Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AVP got struck by lightning!

Any suggestions on a replacement?
post #26163 of 26334 Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Thanks so much Ganymed for the rundown on the Audyssey pro kit.I managed to contact Audyssey and posted my response and i must say it was very positive in being able to help me purchase one. For me personally the kit will be a huge benefit as my room is dedicated seperate from the house and is quite large at 8.5m x 5.5 metres so being able to take more measurements is a huge plus for me.Thanks again
Al and you are very welcome. I like to share my experiences here and I took about 50 measurements with Audyssey Pro up to now. There is a learning curve with measurement positions of the mike and also your favorite settings. Depends on the room and the locations of your listening positions. There is no universal guidance to this. It really depends on the individual situation.

Anytime you need more information, I am happy to help.

Love the new smilies
grassy likes this.
post #26164 of 26334 Old 06-12-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4JB View Post

Take the usual suspects...

Depending on your budget

Marantz AV8801, Bryston SP3. Classeé SP800, Datasat RS20i, maybe Anthem D2v...

However, for me, nothing comes close to a fully balanced design, eight power supplies, Burr-Brown DACs in double differential mode - four per output channel on each channel, Class-A amps on XLR outputs and some more.

I am sorry to say, that I don't know any pre/pro, which can keep up with the AVP-A1. Even after six years after introduction.
There is not much new in this area and if you really need AURO 3D or ATMOS - I doubt. There are no sources yet.

There has not been any big developments on the pre/pro market yet. Ahh, forgot Yamaha CX-A5000, which seems also to be very good and for a good price, if you like DSP sound.

Just my 2 cents - will stick to the AVP. For me, still the best pre/pro in the world.

PS: I would choose the Yamaha, which is an RX-V3020 without power amplifiers but somehow better than the AVR. However, doesn't come close to the AVP-A1.

Last edited by Ganymed4; 06-12-2014 at 08:16 PM.
post #26165 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
If you are patient Al pro kits do turn up on ebay. I obtained the one I had that way and I saw one there a few weeks ago. I have noticed that they pop up every few months.

thankyou stephen, I never realised. just did a search on our ebay and came up with a golf putter !

stephen are you a fellow avp owner ? also great to hear of another audyssey pro owner in melbourne town

ps didnt really see you message here, before I think have pulled the trigger. anyways lets see how audyssey respond

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #26166 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I got this Email reply/message from Audyssey after asking if they could help me on getting a kit here in Australia.............Hi Alan,

We can most definitely help with this.

~
grassy I got the very same message back from audyssey too. rapped with just how quickly they responded actually.

anyways have received an order form from them, lets see how they go with it.
grassy likes this.

post #26167 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
same here grassy, am looking forward to the pro kit as well. too be honest after getting the 3D upgrade and pro ability unlocked on our avps...was just a matter of time

anyways now the waiting game begins.

and looking forward to how the kit performs in audyssey calibration.
grassy likes this.

post #26168 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
Al and you are very welcome. I like to share my experiences here and I took about 50 measurements with Audyssey Pro up to now. There is a learning curve with measurement positions of the mike and also your favorite settings. Depends on the room and the locations of your listening positions. There is no universal guidance to this. It really depends on the individual situation.

Anytime you need more information, I am happy to help.

Love the new smilies
thankyou ganny, will post back when get it and how I go. be interesting to compare notes

post #26169 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Take the usual suspects...

Depending on your budget

Marantz AV8801, Bryston SP3. Classeé SP800, Datasat RS20i, maybe Anthem D2v...

However, for me, nothing comes close to a fully balanced design, eight power supplies, Burr-Brown DACs in double differential mode - four per output channel on each channel, Class-A amps on XLR outputs and some more.

I am sorry to say, that I don't know any pre/pro, which can keep up with the AVP-A1. Even after six years after introduction.
There is not much new in this area and if you really need AURO 3D or ATMOS - I doubt. There are no sources yet.

There has not been any big developments on the pre/pro market yet. Ahh, forgot Yamaha CX-A5000, which seems also to be very good and for a good price, if you like DSP sound.

Just my 2 cents - will stick to the AVP. For me, still the best pre/pro in the world.

PS: I would choose the Yamaha, which is an RX-V3020 without power amplifiers but somehow better than the AVR. However, doesn't come close to the AVP-A1.

theres one another in the AV950 arcam processorhttp://www.arcam.co.uk/advice/blog,ces2014-av950-arcams-highest-performing-preprocessor-ever_200.htm

but trully if mine went boom now or something...would be trying to get another...alternatively would just get something like the marantz and there seems to be a 9200 coming...and then just bide my time till the next AVP but yeah if there was a second hand avp on the market it would be my no 1 choice....have seen a lot of processors come and go from the market in the time the avp has been around and it is king of the castle as far as I am concerned

post #26170 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Al - never an AVP owner but came close. I think it is a great unit. Had the pro kit for my Audyssey SEQ and SubEQ that I used with my Lexicon MC12B. I no longer have any of this kit. Looks like Audyssey is ready to help you and grassy out so that is fantastic.
post #26171 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

Bummer, so sorry to hear. What do you plan to do with the unit? I might be interested in purchasing it for some experiments I have in mind.

As for replacements, please be aware that a new Marantz 8802 is about to hit later this year with full Dolby Atmos support on 13.2 outputs.
If you need something today, then the 8801 is a good stop-gap, but negotiate an upgrade path with your vendor.
post #26172 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:

Just a few weeks ago there was a fellow on this thread looking to sell his AVP.....Scroll back through the posts and send him a PM. I think he was looking to sell it by word of mouth because he didn't want to deal with classifieds.

Or, depending on the damage done to your AVP, you might be able to get it repaired. I would at least get an estimate for repair...You never know.
post #26173 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
theres one another in the AV950 arcam processorhttp://www.arcam.co.uk/advice/blog,ces2014-av950-arcams-highest-performing-preprocessor-ever_200.htm

but trully if mine went boom now or something...would be trying to get another...alternatively would just get something like the marantz and there seems to be a 9200 coming...and then just bide my time till the next AVP but yeah if there was a second hand avp on the market it would be my no 1 choice....have seen a lot of processors come and go from the market in the time the avp has been around and it is king of the castle as far as I am concerned
Thank you Al, for adding Arcam to my list. How could I forget this? I don't know this unit but read very positive test reports about it.
post #26174 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
Al - never an AVP owner but came close. I think it is a great unit. Had the pro kit for my Audyssey SEQ and SubEQ that I used with my Lexicon MC12B. I no longer have any of this kit. Looks like Audyssey is ready to help you and grassy out so that is fantastic.
thanks stephen, yes audyssey have been very helpful and super responsive so for, am very impressed I must say

post #26175 of 26334 Old 06-13-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post
Just a few weeks ago there was a fellow on this thread looking to sell his AVP.....Scroll back through the posts and send him a PM. I think he was looking to sell it by word of mouth because he didn't want to deal with classifieds.

Or, depending on the damage done to your AVP, you might be able to get it repaired. I would at least get an estimate for repair...You never know.
the repair should be considered actually, have had only one item that has ever gone boom in a strike/thunderstorm or something and it was easily fixed for a minimal sum. if haven't taken it to the service centre I would do so. might be surprised
grassy likes this.

post #26176 of 26334 Old 06-16-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

the repair should be considered actually, have had only one item that has ever gone boom in a strike/thunderstorm or something and it was easily fixed for a minimal sum. if haven't taken it to the service centre I would do so. might be surprised
Yes, it's likely there's internal surge protection of some type. But if it got in throught the ground... or interconnects.. who knows...

As to the replacement, personally I'd knock anything off that didn't have XT32 & BassEQ HT or equivalent like ARC. As good as the AVP is, room correction done right will trump any component to component difference.
The Yamaha looks interesting, (I've had some excellent Yamaha gear) but unless Yamaha's YPAO has undergone significant upgrade it's not on par with Audyssey IMO.

Since I've had the AVP in my living room, rather than the dedicted HT I had before, it's being used as an everyday TV watching unit more than the music & live concerts I coveted before.
It sucks, in my previous room I used to close the door & crank on the tunes & listen without interference at least two or three times a week. Not the case anymore, it requries the perfect storm of my wife being out of the house and me being in the mood at that time... It's turned into overkill for my application.

There's a very slim chance I could get my dedicated room back, but if that possibility isn't clarified before I'm confident the center channel issue repair is going to remain effective I'm likely going to sell it.
I might go to the Denon 4520 receiver & forgo separates.
If I don't get the room back, I have a small room where I might be able to do a nearfield system for music only but the AVP is still overkill for that app.
post #26177 of 26334 Old 06-19-2014, 03:23 AM

Well my POA is officially on its way to my place all crated up from Western Australia to Queensland and hopefully i should have it in a week or so and will post some pics. All insured against damage and loss. I have been preparing my speaker wall plates and doing my room up repainting and building a theater stage, also purchased a subwoofer riser all in preparation for the POA. I also made up some amp to wall plate speaker cable connections.Bring it on

post #26178 of 26334 Old 06-19-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

nice work grassy….I can sense the excitement building

post #26179 of 26334 Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post
Yes, it's likely there's internal surge protection of some type. But if it got in throught the ground... or interconnects.. who knows...

As to the replacement, personally I'd knock anything off that didn't have XT32 & BassEQ HT or equivalent like ARC. As good as the AVP is, room correction done right will trump any component to component difference.
The Yamaha looks interesting, (I've had some excellent Yamaha gear) but unless Yamaha's YPAO has undergone significant upgrade it's not on par with Audyssey IMO.

Since I've had the AVP in my living room, rather than the dedicted HT I had before, it's being used as an everyday TV watching unit more than the music & live concerts I coveted before.
It sucks, in my previous room I used to close the door & crank on the tunes & listen without interference at least two or three times a week. Not the case anymore, it requries the perfect storm of my wife being out of the house and me being in the mood at that time... It's turned into overkill for my application.

There's a very slim chance I could get my dedicated room back, but if that possibility isn't clarified before I'm confident the center channel issue repair is going to remain effective I'm likely going to sell it.
I might go to the Denon 4520 receiver & forgo separates.
If I don't get the room back, I have a small room where I might be able to do a nearfield system for music only but the AVP is still overkill for that app.
I completely agree with your POV. For listening to music there are other units on the market doing this task even for less money, I would say. The AVP is overkill for this application.

Regarding the YPAO, I read some tests and depending when you had your last experiences with this, it was renovated and greatly improved. I think this happened in 2012, if I am not mistaken. Also, owners of the new CX-A5000 say they are very happy with the unit. But personally, I have no experience with the new Yamaha units but also had very good experiences with an RX-V2600 in 2006. YPAO at this point of time was not so good, I agree. Inconsistent measurement results - you had to do it several times and received each time a different result and so on.

However, I also would give Yamaha a try, if I wouldn't have my AVP. This is really a great home cinema machine and since the upgrade surely not outdated, at least for what I use it.
post #26180 of 26334 Old 06-19-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Actually my point was that it's overkill for not being able to listen to music the way I used to. I think the AVP is outstanding for 2ch & multi-channel music and you could pay a heck of a lot more for less. In a multi use room where I can't really listen to music it's overkill, a reciever would suffice.

The last Yamaha I had was a 2700 I believe, and the RX-Z9 prior which was also a ground-breaking unit. With both of those I was not overly impressed with YPAO, mostly in the top end, but I was able to make use of it with manual tweaking afterwards for decent results. I have no reason to believe you couldn't at least do the same with the CX-A5000.
post #26181 of 26334 Old 06-21-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone ever gotten a price on a POA face plate?

New from a parts place? Just the face plate itself and not the whole assembly with meters etc.
post #26182 of 26334 Old 06-23-2014, 03:00 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
OK - Dolby Atmos available for home systems. Another feature to put in the AVP2.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/23/d...-living-rooms/
post #26183 of 26334 Old 06-23-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeamer View Post
New from a parts place? Just the face plate itself and not the whole assembly with meters etc.
Probably best just to call D&M directly. you want to change color ?

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #26184 of 26334 Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
OK - Dolby Atmos available for home systems. Another feature to put in the AVP2.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/23/d...-living-rooms/
Thank you for this very interesting link. This is the first time I read about dates related to ATMOS. It will be interesting to see if there will be more than some test disks like with DTS NEO:X.
I mean the article states this already clearly: 'This could get expensive, as you might imagine. On top of an Atmos-capable receiver, you'll need either speakers with native Atmos support or modules that add to your existing setup. Thankfully, you probably won't have to toss out everything -- the Blu-ray spec can already handle Atmos, so most existing disc players should work.' An AVP2 might not do it alone, isn't it.

This doesn't sound too promising to me. What do they mean by 'speakers with native ATMOS support'? It can't be the speakers themselves. This must mean the placement and number of speakers. Or?
And I like the last sentence. I can keep my Blu-Ray player but have to change everything else? Does this sentence means this???
This short article raises many questions for me. May be somebody of you know more?
post #26185 of 26334 Old 06-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

OK, was too fast again and read now the 'devised a way' link in the original article. This is from Dolby but most interesting are the questions to this Dolby article, because it also doesn't say much about ATMOS for the home. Dan H is asking the right questions but does not get an answer.
It seems, we have to wait. But this is surely something to be build into an AVP2 - completely agree to this point.

If I am thinking loud about my 9.2 set up, well several speakers on the ceiling would be no problem. Or these modules, which seems to be speaker boxes, put on top of the existing speakers, facing to the ceiling in an angle - my guess only. This could simulate ceiling speakers but no bass. Too small I would say and reflected bass - nae, not good.

However, it seems to me there are many open questions but we need to wait, until Dolby announces the full specs.
post #26186 of 26334 Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post
Probably best just to call D&M directly. you want to change color ?

Daniel.
I've been using 2 of the big Denons on my surrounds for a while and a local place had one that was damaged in shipping and then repairs on it stalled when they found out that Denon no longer made this little plastic washer for the speaker terminals and one had gotten misplaced when they were taking it apart. The washer was a non-essential part (and barely noticeable when one is missing) but the amp had sat in their warehouse in pieces for so long they didn't have much confidence something else wouldn't be wrong when they put it back together so I bought it for parts figuring I could keep a couple of the amp modules as spares and sell off the rest to get my money back.

Long story short .... once I got the pieces home figured I'd put it back together and see what happened (since it's all modular it was basically just like a big, heavy 3D puzzle). Much to my surprise it fired right up and was functionally perfect. Looks and works like a new amp except for a ding on one of the front corners. They actually gave me a brand new face plate they had ordered when still planning to repair but if they were expensive or hard to find was thinking of selling it on Ebay to get my total cost down to pocket change but turns they're still available through the normal parts channels and not that expensive so I'm just going to use the one I have to get the amp back to perfect.
post #26187 of 26334 Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
OK, was too fast again and read now the 'devised a way' link in the original article. This is from Dolby but most interesting are the questions to this Dolby article, because it also doesn't say much about ATMOS for the home. Dan H is asking the right questions but does not get an answer.
It seems, we have to wait. But this is surely something to be build into an AVP2 - completely agree to this point.

If I am thinking loud about my 9.2 set up, well several speakers on the ceiling would be no problem. Or these modules, which seems to be speaker boxes, put on top of the existing speakers, facing to the ceiling in an angle - my guess only. This could simulate ceiling speakers but no bass. Too small I would say and reflected bass - nae, not good.

However, it seems to me there are many open questions but we need to wait, until Dolby announces the full specs.
This is probably a better article......Straight from the horse's mouth: http://blog.dolby.com/2014/06/dolby-...ing-room-near/
post #26188 of 26334 Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM

Ok, i am now a POA owner also. It came today and i will be testing it out tonight with a movie of two or three.Sorry about the bad photo as i still have not got the hang of this photography lark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1335 (Medium).JPG (322.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1344 (Medium).JPG (171.1 KB, 17 views)

post #26189 of 26334 Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, i give you the "Imperial Death Star"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1347 (Medium).JPG (222.4 KB, 31 views)
alebonau likes this.

post #26190 of 26334 Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, i give you the "Imperial Death Star"

Yeah .

Congratulations grassy. Way to go man.
Now you have the complete 3 story building.

Limits established to be exceeded.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page