Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 876 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #26251 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yeah, the sound was going through 2 preamp stages - the one in the AVP and the one in your receiver. So the sound was ultimately limited by how good your receiver was and somewhat compromised by going through that extra preamp stage. Sending it through a state of the art high end standalone preamp without home theater bypass would still be less than optimal, but doing the same with a receiver is a lot less than optimal.
Yep, so i was getting second hand sound or used sound

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26252 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgarcia View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind replies
I got it in the mail today and hooked it up. i did not hook it to a amp just brought up the menu system then went to surround modes
did not see any of the new sound formats except DTS- Neo X in the list. i was wondering if i need to do something to get them all to show up in the list. or is it possible the sound formats are not present due to it not being updated right ? i have the update disc.
maybe i am not looking in right place. i am a dumb dumb newbie to this pre pro. any help would be appreciated.
Hi Rob, you should have 14 surround modes in the list, try resetting the microprocessor and or look for a firmware update. I have 14.

post #26253 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Hi Rob, you should have 14 surround modes in the list, try resetting the microprocessor and or look for a firmware update. I have 14.
thanks Grassy i have the following 14 in my list
Direct
Dolby PLII X
DTS Neo X
Thx Home Thx Cinema
7ch Stereo
Wide Screen
Super Stadium
Rock Arena
Jazz Club
Classic Concert
Mono
Video Game
Matrix
Stereo

no options for Dolby PLII Z
or AUDYSSEY DSX ?
How to Reset microprocessor ? and will it effect the upgrade
post #26254 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

I dont think Dolby PLII Z and Audyssey DSX is in the listing, well i know mine is not. Page 65 of the manual will show you how to set the microprocessor although you might not need to do that So far it seems everything is normal. Resetting the microprocessor will not effect the upgrade as i have done so in the past and everything is ok with my machine.

post #26255 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
no options for Dolby PLII Z
or AUDYSSEY DSX ?
I'm not sure how those modes work in regards to how you select them because I don't have height speakers, but I would think they wouldn't be available unless you have the height speakers configured.

As far as doing a microprocessor reset goes, it won't roll back firmware or disable the hardware upgrade. Basically all it does is reset all the menu items to default values so you have a known starting point to work with. If you bought the AVP used, it would probably be a good idea to do a reset as who knows how the previous owner had it configured. It will also clear any Audyssey calibration which would also be wise as you'll need to do your own calibration once you have it all hooked up.

Enjoy!
grassy likes this.
post #26256 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how those modes work in regards to how you select them because I don't have height speakers, but I would think they wouldn't be available unless you have the height speakers configured.

As far as doing a microprocessor reset goes, it won't roll back firmware or disable the hardware upgrade. Basically all it does is reset all the menu items to default values so you have a known starting point to work with. If you bought the AVP used, it would probably be a good idea to do a reset as who knows how the previous owner had it configured. It will also clear any Audyssey calibration which would also be wise as you'll need to do your own calibration once you have it all hooked up.

Enjoy!
You are correct on the Audyssey topic as on page 42 in the manual that we received after the upgrade it states how to enable that setting. As you have stated you need to have the height channels hooked up or enabled for the Audyssey DSX Processing.

post #26257 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Enjoy!
Thanks guys maybe i am wrong but i watched a video where they talk about the upgrade on youtube . at the 2 min and 14 sec mark they show the surround sound menu and he talks about the 2 sound modes that i said were not present. during his demo he is using the Denon 5308 wich i imagine are pretty close to one another and the video says its valid for both models . Here is link to video see for yourself
post #26258 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

Because i also don't have the height channels and i have a big room, i always listen to my movies in neo x cinema in conjunction with the widescreen setting and audyssey xt32 enabled and i get a huge sound.

post #26259 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys maybe i am wrong but i watched a video where they talk about the upgrade on youtube . at the 2 min and 14 sec mark they show the surround sound menu and he talks about the 2 sound modes that i said were not present. during his demo he is using the Denon 5308 wich i imagine are pretty close to one another and the video says its valid for both models . Here is link to video see for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_Z1JbaCnM
Yes but it is in REGARDS to the height and width channels meaning you have to have them connected. Have you? Dont forget in your previous post you said you have not hooked it up to your amp.

post #26260 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
At about 2:40 in the video, he shows the speaker configuration. Note that the height speakers have been set to small rather than none. That is most likely the magic required to get Dolby PLII Z to show up in the surround mode menu. If the height speakers are set to none, then I would assume that is the trigger to remove Dolby PLII Z from the list of choices because it wouldn't make sense to allow the user to choose it when height speakers aren't present. Also note that he doesn't actually show Audyssey DSX in that menu at 2:14.
post #26261 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Yes but it is in REGARDS to the height and width channels meaning you have to have them connected. Have you? Dont forget in your previous post you said you have not hooked it up to your amp.
How the speakers are configured in the setup menu is actually more important than how things are physically connected (see my other reply) as that controls what shows up in the surround mode menu.
post #26262 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

Quote:
At about 2:40 in the video, he shows the speaker configuration. Note that the height speakers have been set to small rather than none. That is most likely the magic required to get Dolby PLII Z to show up in the surround mode menu. If the height speakers are set to none, then I would assume that is the trigger to remove Dolby PLII Z from the list of choices because it wouldn't make sense to allow the user to choose it when height speakers aren't present. Also note that he doesn't actually show Audyssey DSX in that menu at 2:14.
You are absolutely correct, i just learnt something as i went into my settings and even though i have no height speakers hooked up i set the height speakers to small under speaker setup and the z option is there now. Thanks again gsr. Your worth more money

post #26263 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

you 2 guys are awesome many thanks
when i go into the menu under speaker configuration
there is no height option
so maybe i have to hook speakers to it ?
if i turn the front wide to off then dolbyII X vanishes
so your theory is correct but i have no height option.
post #26264 of 26265 Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_Z1JbaCnM

Didn't like the guy and the quick easy conclusions he makes watch this instead, i know its in german but try even if you can't 100% follow it gives you more value in images alone imho

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #26265 of 26265 Old Today, 05:14 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
you 2 guys are awesome many thanks
when i go into the menu under speaker configuration
there is no height option
so maybe i have to hook speakers to it ?
if i turn the front wide to off then dolbyII X vanishes
so your theory is correct but i have no height option.
I'm not sitting at my system right now, but I believe you also have to configure the extra pair of preamp outputs correctly somewhere else in the menus before you will get the heights to show up in the speaker configuration. The AVP is a complex beast, so be prepared for a steep learning curve, but it's well worth the effort .
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page