Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 876 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #26251 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yeah, the sound was going through 2 preamp stages - the one in the AVP and the one in your receiver. So the sound was ultimately limited by how good your receiver was and somewhat compromised by going through that extra preamp stage. Sending it through a state of the art high end standalone preamp without home theater bypass would still be less than optimal, but doing the same with a receiver is a lot less than optimal.
Yep, so i was getting second hand sound or used sound

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26252 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgarcia View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind replies
I got it in the mail today and hooked it up. i did not hook it to a amp just brought up the menu system then went to surround modes
did not see any of the new sound formats except DTS- Neo X in the list. i was wondering if i need to do something to get them all to show up in the list. or is it possible the sound formats are not present due to it not being updated right ? i have the update disc.
maybe i am not looking in right place. i am a dumb dumb newbie to this pre pro. any help would be appreciated.
Hi Rob, you should have 14 surround modes in the list, try resetting the microprocessor and or look for a firmware update. I have 14.

post #26253 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Hi Rob, you should have 14 surround modes in the list, try resetting the microprocessor and or look for a firmware update. I have 14.
thanks Grassy i have the following 14 in my list
Direct
Dolby PLII X
DTS Neo X
Thx Home Thx Cinema
7ch Stereo
Wide Screen
Super Stadium
Rock Arena
Jazz Club
Classic Concert
Mono
Video Game
Matrix
Stereo

no options for Dolby PLII Z
or AUDYSSEY DSX ?
How to Reset microprocessor ? and will it effect the upgrade
post #26254 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 PM

I dont think Dolby PLII Z and Audyssey DSX is in the listing, well i know mine is not. Page 65 of the manual will show you how to set the microprocessor although you might not need to do that So far it seems everything is normal. Resetting the microprocessor will not effect the upgrade as i have done so in the past and everything is ok with my machine.

post #26255 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 09:37 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
no options for Dolby PLII Z
or AUDYSSEY DSX ?
I'm not sure how those modes work in regards to how you select them because I don't have height speakers, but I would think they wouldn't be available unless you have the height speakers configured.

As far as doing a microprocessor reset goes, it won't roll back firmware or disable the hardware upgrade. Basically all it does is reset all the menu items to default values so you have a known starting point to work with. If you bought the AVP used, it would probably be a good idea to do a reset as who knows how the previous owner had it configured. It will also clear any Audyssey calibration which would also be wise as you'll need to do your own calibration once you have it all hooked up.

Enjoy!
grassy likes this.
post #26256 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how those modes work in regards to how you select them because I don't have height speakers, but I would think they wouldn't be available unless you have the height speakers configured.

As far as doing a microprocessor reset goes, it won't roll back firmware or disable the hardware upgrade. Basically all it does is reset all the menu items to default values so you have a known starting point to work with. If you bought the AVP used, it would probably be a good idea to do a reset as who knows how the previous owner had it configured. It will also clear any Audyssey calibration which would also be wise as you'll need to do your own calibration once you have it all hooked up.

Enjoy!
You are correct on the Audyssey topic as on page 42 in the manual that we received after the upgrade it states how to enable that setting. As you have stated you need to have the height channels hooked up or enabled for the Audyssey DSX Processing.

post #26257 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:

Enjoy!
Thanks guys maybe i am wrong but i watched a video where they talk about the upgrade on youtube . at the 2 min and 14 sec mark they show the surround sound menu and he talks about the 2 sound modes that i said were not present. during his demo he is using the Denon 5308 wich i imagine are pretty close to one another and the video says its valid for both models . Here is link to video see for yourself
post #26258 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 09:52 PM

Because i also don't have the height channels and i have a big room, i always listen to my movies in neo x cinema in conjunction with the widescreen setting and audyssey xt32 enabled and i get a huge sound.

post #26259 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys maybe i am wrong but i watched a video where they talk about the upgrade on youtube . at the 2 min and 14 sec mark they show the surround sound menu and he talks about the 2 sound modes that i said were not present. during his demo he is using the Denon 5308 wich i imagine are pretty close to one another and the video says its valid for both models . Here is link to video see for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_Z1JbaCnM
Yes but it is in REGARDS to the height and width channels meaning you have to have them connected. Have you? Dont forget in your previous post you said you have not hooked it up to your amp.

post #26260 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 10:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
At about 2:40 in the video, he shows the speaker configuration. Note that the height speakers have been set to small rather than none. That is most likely the magic required to get Dolby PLII Z to show up in the surround mode menu. If the height speakers are set to none, then I would assume that is the trigger to remove Dolby PLII Z from the list of choices because it wouldn't make sense to allow the user to choose it when height speakers aren't present. Also note that he doesn't actually show Audyssey DSX in that menu at 2:14.
post #26261 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 10:03 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Yes but it is in REGARDS to the height and width channels meaning you have to have them connected. Have you? Dont forget in your previous post you said you have not hooked it up to your amp.
How the speakers are configured in the setup menu is actually more important than how things are physically connected (see my other reply) as that controls what shows up in the surround mode menu.
post #26262 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
At about 2:40 in the video, he shows the speaker configuration. Note that the height speakers have been set to small rather than none. That is most likely the magic required to get Dolby PLII Z to show up in the surround mode menu. If the height speakers are set to none, then I would assume that is the trigger to remove Dolby PLII Z from the list of choices because it wouldn't make sense to allow the user to choose it when height speakers aren't present. Also note that he doesn't actually show Audyssey DSX in that menu at 2:14.
You are absolutely correct, i just learnt something as i went into my settings and even though i have no height speakers hooked up i set the height speakers to small under speaker setup and the z option is there now. Thanks again gsr. Your worth more money

post #26263 of 26488 Old 07-10-2014, 10:39 PM

you 2 guys are awesome many thanks
when i go into the menu under speaker configuration
there is no height option
so maybe i have to hook speakers to it ?
if i turn the front wide to off then dolbyII X vanishes
so your theory is correct but i have no height option.
post #26264 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_Z1JbaCnM

Didn't like the guy and the quick easy conclusions he makes watch this instead, i know its in german but try even if you can't 100% follow it gives you more value in images alone imho

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #26265 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 06:14 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
you 2 guys are awesome many thanks
when i go into the menu under speaker configuration
there is no height option
so maybe i have to hook speakers to it ?
if i turn the front wide to off then dolbyII X vanishes
so your theory is correct but i have no height option.
I'm not sitting at my system right now, but I believe you also have to configure the extra pair of preamp outputs correctly somewhere else in the menus before you will get the heights to show up in the speaker configuration. The AVP is a complex beast, so be prepared for a steep learning curve, but it's well worth the effort .
post #26266 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not sitting at my system right now, but I believe you also have to configure the extra pair of preamp outputs correctly somewhere else in the menus before you will get the heights to show up in the speaker configuration. The AVP is a complex beast, so be prepared for a steep learning curve, but it's well worth the effort .
ok will look for that thanks
i recently had a house fire and lost all my equipment in my home theater as well as the rest of the house
my receiver was a yamaha rx-z11 so this denon pre pro is the first step that i took in re purchasing my equipment
when i get more funds from my insurance company i am going to get a amp and speakers i got someone local who is going to sell me a
7.2 THX Klipsch speaker system. then i decided i would go with parasound A-51 for the amps to hard to find the matching denon amp for this Beast.

is it possible to buy the Audyssey pro kit ? for calibration
post #26267 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs down AVP will not restart after saving configuration file!!!

I can not complete a save of a Config file with this AVP. I access the AVP using the network address, and save Configuration. The file downloads via Explorer no problem, then the AVP is stuck on Saving, does not restart.

I have power off in Network Options.

Why does this AVP not restart as stated in the Denon WEB Browser Instructions. After download the unit is suppose to restart.

I have to Manual power off the unit to return to operation.

Comments
post #26268 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
i recently had a house fire and lost all my equipment in my home theater as well as the rest of the house
So sorry to hear that. Equipment can be replaced, but it's impossible to replace mementos like photos and family items.

Quote:
my receiver was a yamaha rx-z11 so this denon pre pro is the first step that i took in re purchasing my equipment
The AVP should be a nice step up from the Yamaha.

Quote:
then i decided i would go with parasound A-51 for the amps to hard to find the matching denon amp for this Beast.
I had the POA, but replaced it recently with a pair of Parasound JC-1 monoblocks for the front left/right and an A-51 for the other 5 speakers. I think you'll be very happy with the A-51.

Quote:
Yes, but I don't remember the specifics. IIRC, you order the pro kit from a vendor and then get the license direct from Audyssey. Here's a link to 1 vendor, but they currently list the kit as being on back order. You may also find this thread handy for some Pro Kit info.
post #26269 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Sure I have it and I am using it. gsr answered most of it already. If you buy the kit, you will have access to the Audyssey Installer web-site and there you can purchase a license for US$ 150 for the AVP. You already have the upgrade, so everything fine. It is definitely worth it, but depends on your room and speakers.
post #26270 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
Sure I have it and I am using it. gsr answered most of it already. If you buy the kit, you will have access to the Audyssey Installer web-site and there you can purchase a license for US$ 150 for the AVP. You already have the upgrade, so everything fine. It is definitely worth it, but depends on your room and speakers.
Yea that's the next thing on my list, and here in Australia i have found out i can deal direct with Audyssey. I sent them an email awhile back and i saving up some more coin to purchase one.My room is big so this will come in handy, also being able to take more measurements will be a great thing for me. I think the height channels will give me the sound from the front stage that has been sort of lacking with my system.I think it may be due to the length of my room and where i am sitting.

post #26271 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Whats it like if you leave it on for a while with nothing plugged into it does it shut down on its own then.I would try a different power chord if you havnt yet and see if that changes anything.
I'll try switching out the cord. Can you finish your thoughts above? If it's left on with nothing plugged in, and it does not shut down, I won't know if that's because I eliminated some unseen short or problem with the connections, or if it's because the amp only shuts down when it's driven due to an internal problem. If it does shut down with nothing connected, well, dead is dead...

Any other ideas very welcome on this problem! Still wondering if there is an unpublished reset for its little processor brain...
post #26272 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO View Post
So I tried to make use of the suggestions here a couple of weeks ago--unplug for awhile if brownout issue, increase ventilation, try different sources. The POA continues to go into protection mode on occasions--actually did okay for a week, now back to blinking red light and power down. Have visually check all connections for shorts=none. Tonight it went into red mode just shortly after being turned on, so it does not seem to be a heat issue.

Any other ideas? Is there a way to reset the POA's processor? I am seriously thinking about burying it on the hill, unless anyone knows of someone in the midatlantic or midwest area who could actually fix it...waiting months and months for the failed AVP upgrade to be corrected leaves me not very optimistic...
The POA what is it plugged into ? Into a power board ? Plug to an individual power socket?

Last edited by Franin; 07-11-2014 at 08:54 PM.
post #26273 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
The POA what is it plugged into ? Into a power board ? Plug to an individual power socket?
Surge protector/outlet strip. Fair quality, old...
post #26274 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Have you tried plugging into a wall outlet? just on its own. The reason why I ask I don't think its a good idea plugging the POA on a Surge protector/outlet strip. Is it shared with anything else? Could be the Surge protector.

Frank
post #26275 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I'll try switching out the cord. Can you finish your thoughts above? If it's left on with nothing plugged in, and it does not shut down, I won't know if that's because I eliminated some unseen short or problem with the connections, or if it's because the amp only shuts down when it's driven due to an internal problem. If it does shut down with nothing connected, well, dead is dead...

Any other ideas very welcome on this problem! Still wondering if there is an unpublished reset for its little processor brain...
I did some checking on the POA as far as the resetting is concerned and cant find anything on resetting that particular machine. In the manual really cant find anything there. As far as leaving it on with nothing plugged in to it,you might be able to tell if it is a heat problem and not being caused by something that is plugged in to it.

post #26276 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
I did the same Doctor O when I fist got my POA and my power was bad and I remember getting a brown out my surge protector did diddly squat. I contacted Denon and they said told me to get rid of it the surge power ASAP. I had to get either a dedicated outlet for it but due to my inconsistent power I had to get a Power regulator by Furman.

Frank
post #26277 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Have you tried plugging into a wall outlet? just on its own. The reason why I ask I don't think its a good idea plugging the POA on a Surge protector/outlet strip. Is it shared with anything else? Could be the Surge protector.
You could be right frank. I have mine plugged in to a surge protector and am debating weather to leave it in or not. Now you have me thinking.

post #26278 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 11:22 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
You could be right frank. I have mine plugged in to a surge protector and am debating weather to leave it in or not. Now you have me thinking.
Hey grassy how are you mate? Ive read, congrats on the POA Awesome Power amp. Trust me mate if you get a brownout that surge protect will do nothing. APG technician advised me too get rid of it ( he actually couldn't believe I had my POA on one )
grassy likes this.

Frank
post #26279 of 26488 Old 07-11-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Hey grassy how are you mate? Ive read, congrats on the POA Awesome Power amp. Trust me mate if you get a brownout that surge protect will do nothing. APG technician advised me too get rid of it ( he actually couldn't believe I had my POA on one )
I am awesome Frank, hope you are well too.What do you recommend i do and have you got any of your gear plugged into a surge protector?

post #26280 of 26488 Old 07-12-2014, 12:14 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
I am awesome Frank, hope you are well too.What do you recommend i do and have you got any of your gear plugged into a surge protector?
Because of my unstable power here where I live I had to get a Power Regulator. It also protects from brownouts etc
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page