Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 878 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #26311 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
Even though you are not in the US. For others that are that may be looking to have mods done, if you do a forum search on that place in Michigan called "The Upgrade Company", you will find loads of reasons why they should be avoided.
Cinemike.de , They know what they are doing and KNOW the avp and poa. last time i was there they had several units of both. One of the biggest problems for maintaining these devices is they are complex and most modders have never seen one. They also did my 3d upgrade btw and they did a lot of them. Problem is as far as i know there are no 3d boards anymore.

jvb.nl , Know them (well i am in *.nl) nice people but more product based good for some stuff like hacks, hs-sdi and pre modded sales. I got my last modded oppo player from them. Personally i doubt if they ever worked on a avp or poa.

"The upgrade company", never used them but i have seen there handy work and how they do PR. They seem to want to work in secret (unlike cinemike that is very open on what they do) and their 'blue' period would send me into shock if they ever did that to say a avp.

just my 2cents,

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26312 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post
and their 'blue' period would send me into shock if they ever did that to say a avp.

just my 2cents,

Daniel.

Ahhh yes, their heavy handed blue glop application handiwork, a mess if there ever was one.
post #26313 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
Even though you are not in the US. For others that are that may be looking to have mods done, if you do a forum search on that place in Michigan called "The Upgrade Company", you will find loads of reasons why they should be avoided.
WOW Thanks for the Tip, I do live in the USA and will look up info about that company thanks
post #26314 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post
The german upgrade company you're looking for is cinemike.de I guess.

He still does AVP upgrades. The only upgrade that's not available anymore is the 3D-upgrade.
Thanks For the name Gonna see what they can do for me.
post #26315 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgarcia View Post
Thanks For the name Gonna see what they can do for me.
Just be warned about Cinemikes prices. He is doing a lot of work and changing many, many electronic parts in the AVP. This is a lot of work and he has a plan, he worked out in advance, what to change.
However, if I remember correctly and if you do all levels of his upgrades you have at the end two AVPs at home - price wise, not physically. Also, you have to take step after step and start at step one.
I was also interested in changing the OpAmps of the AVP, which he seems to change to the newer ones used in the 8801. Despite that I never received an answer to my e-mail, I sent six months + ago, you can't get this step number three alone. You have to buy the upgrades one and two to get three. Technical nonsense for me but surely good for Cinemikes budget.
Just what I found out and my personal experiences.
post #26316 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 02:12 PM

Liked: 12
Why don't you come to the demo weekend in Germany, the 16th and 17th of August so you can hear and see everything by yourself. I don't feel like starting another CineMike discussion so with this post you are invited in Simmerath, and all your questions will be answered together with free drinks and a BBQ. How about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
Just be warned about Cinemikes prices. He is doing a lot of work and changing many, many electronic parts in the AVP. This is a lot of work and he has a plan, he worked out in advance, what to change.
However, if I remember correctly and if you do all levels of his upgrades you have at the end two AVPs at home - price wise, not physically. Also, you have to take step after step and start at step one.
I was also interested in changing the OpAmps of the AVP, which he seems to change to the newer ones used in the 8801. Despite that I never received an answer to my e-mail, I sent six months + ago, you can't get this step number three alone. You have to buy the upgrades one and two to get three. Technical nonsense for me but surely good for Cinemikes budget.
Just what I found out and my personal experiences.
post #26317 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denon a1xva View Post
Why don't you come to the demo weekend in Germany, the 16th and 17th of August so you can hear and see everything by yourself. I don't feel like starting another CineMike discussion so with this post you are invited in Simmerath, and all your questions will be answered together with free drinks and a BBQ. How about that
Yes, this sounds good - thank you. I am living close to this place - around 50 km away. However, I don't have the time to go there and this much money, for an upgrade of the AVP is out of question for me.
I have an acoustically non-treated room, ATMOS is coming and if this is really good - which I doubt in the first incarnation - the AVP is in three years - at least - outdated, when ATMOS lives up to it's object oriented promise and in the second (more DSP power or even processor power) or then the third incarnation.
However, it is a beautifully build pre/pro and even if I think of the discrete balanced amps - OMG . And CineMike makes them even better - no doubt for me. Three years ago, the question would have not arisen to me. But today?
Thank you again for your kind proposal and I was there some years ago and made my opinion.

Thank you again, but I don't have the money to spent on this kind of improvement. There are other things, I have to spent my money on first.

Cheers

Markus
post #26318 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Update on my CC issue, sent it off to Ontario & just got a call on the repair estimate. The girl on the phone was just clerk so didn't know what it entails but the repair is going to cost me $280. Bit of a relief, I was thinking it might be the 3D board and that it would cost over $1k or that they wouldn't have any...
I suppose they could be doing a board-level repair rather than swapping our the entire board, whatever, just glad to get it repaired & hope it's the last time.

Got to try out the Denon AVR-X4000 ....until it broke... centre channel amp...
I have to say it sounded excellent for the price. I now have the Marantz SR5008 as my temp unit, it too is a heck of a value. It's amazing the sound quality you can get in the sub-$1k range now.
post #26319 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post
Update on my CC issue, sent it off to Ontario & just got a call on the repair estimate. The girl on the phone was just clerk so didn't know what it entails but the repair is going to cost me $280. Bit of a relief, I was thinking it might be the 3D board and that it would cost over $1k or that they wouldn't have any...
I suppose they could be doing a board-level repair rather than swapping our the entire board, whatever, just glad to get it repaired & hope it's the last time.

Got to try out the Denon AVR-X4000 ....until it broke... centre channel amp...
I have to say it sounded excellent for the price. I now have the Marantz SR5008 as my temp unit, it too is a heck of a value. It's amazing the sound quality you can get in the sub-$1k range now.
I am glad they found the problem and your getting it fixed. It cost me about same to get my center ML Stage fixed. Power supply and Stat panel was my problem.

Brad
post #26320 of 26334 Old 07-29-2014, 10:49 PM

Hi Markus. You don't need to buy anything at all, it will be just a meeting point with friends and customers to share the passion, together with some demo´s and fun. I know you don't have the time but you are still invited. It would be nice to meet you in person. If you decide to come, my name is Viktor.

Quote:
Yes, this sounds good - thank you. I am living close to this place - around 50 km away. However, I don't have the time to go there and this much money, for an upgrade of the AVP is out of question for me.
I have an acoustically non-treated room, ATMOS is coming and if this is really good - which I doubt in the first incarnation - the AVP is in three years - at least - outdated, when ATMOS lives up to it's object oriented promise and in the second (more DSP power or even processor power) or then the third incarnation.
However, it is a beautifully build pre/pro and even if I think of the discrete balanced amps - OMG . And CineMike makes them even better - no doubt for me. Three years ago, the question would have not arisen to me. But today?
Thank you again for your kind proposal and I was there some years ago and made my opinion.

Thank you again, but I don't have the money to spent on this kind of improvement. There are other things, I have to spent my money on first.

Cheers

Markus
post #26321 of 26334 Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What is killing you going to Simmerath is not hardware & beer but the traffic tickets !

Daniel.

post #26322 of 26334 Old 07-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi Markus. You don't need to buy anything at all, it will be just a meeting point with friends and customers to share the passion, together with some demo´s and fun. I know you don't have the time but you are still invited. It would be nice to meet you in person. If you decide to come, my name is Viktor.
Thank you Viktor, I will think about it. Honestly, I would love to hear the Aurum Vulkan VIII speakers. I can not put floor standing speakers in my HT, well if I omit the subwoofers maybe. However, this would really tempt me to go there.
On the other hand, it was really a downer for me, when I visited CineMike last time for his house-fair and he used a demagnetizer for HD-DVDs at this time. How can there be magnetism in poly-carbonate disks? Honestly....

Quote:
What is killing you going to Simmerath is not hardware & beer but the traffic tickets !

Daniel.
Cool Daniel. But not in Germany - as you may be aware of. Except your Ferrari makes you tend to speeding in limited speed zones on the highway... I know in the Netherlands, this is different. Speed measurements in zones and this stuff - at least what I heard.
post #26323 of 26334 Old 07-30-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Daniel.

I have about 3 selfies lost my permission to drive in Germany for 3 months and learned my lesson. They have very sneaky cameras between the villages... I drove 10 km/h above speed limit in a short period 3 times.

Quote:
Thank you Viktor, I will think about it. Honestly, I would love to hear the Aurum Vulkan VIII speakers. I can not put floor standing speakers in my HT, well if I omit the subwoofers maybe. However, this would really tempt me to go there.
On the other hand, it was really a downer for me, when I visited CineMike last time for his house-fair and he used a demagnetizer for HD-DVDs at this time. How can there be magnetism in poly-carbonate disks? Honestly....
HD-DVD? That's a long time ago and a lot of things have changed. The Aurum Vulkan VIII R and the Titan are both present.
post #26324 of 26334 Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
WOW Thanks for the Tip, I do live in the USA and will look up info about that company thanks
There are a few threads on the forum here that go into detail about his less than stellar mod work. One even included detailed pictures showing how he applied some kind of a blue goop treatment, that looked like common blue RTV silicon from a tube, to select components, which to me, even if it did do something positive, though I doubt it really did, it looked more like it could cause big thermal problems for the components it was applied to.
post #26325 of 26334 Old 07-31-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool Daniel. But not in Germany - as you may be aware of. Except your Ferrari makes you tend to speeding in limited speed zones on the highway... I know in the Netherlands, this is different. Speed measurements in zones and this stuff - at least what I heard.
Well i think all audio sales people AND users have their weirdness elements and i just take these elements as free entertainment. Why i reacted positive on was their technical work i simply trust them with my kinda expensive boxes that if i would share them with a few of the others i would feel less sure.

And on the speed thing trust me that part of germany is crazy because its the reverse to what you expect you end up driving 20km/h all the time just to make sure you are ok. Its a very nice area so driving slow is not a crime but its the WORSE place i ever been for traffic tickets.

Daniel.

post #26326 of 26334 Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have about 3 selfies lost my permission to drive in Germany for 3 months and learned my lesson. They have very sneaky cameras between the villages... I drove 10 km/h above speed limit in a short period 3 times.

HD-DVD? That's a long time ago and a lot of things have changed. The Aurum Vulkan VIII R and the Titan are both present.
Yes that was some time ago, when I visited their place. I remember some 'safety cameras' but not this many. I was also flashed by one of these boxes but this was close to the Belgian border.

I take this as a good advice to be careful, especially also because Daniel wrote the same... Haven't been there on the countryside since years.I live close to Cologne.

Cheers guys and thank you for your interesting information.
post #26327 of 26334 Old 08-07-2014, 10:13 PM

Just wanted to give a update.
Went out and got a older amp and after hearing it paired with the Denon i am happy
got a Sherbourn 7/2100A
anyone have any thoughts on my choice of Amps. I was thinking of getting another after how it sounded.

post #26328 of 26334 Old 08-08-2014, 03:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Went out and got a older amp and after hearing it paired with the Denon i am happy
got a Sherbourn 7/2100A
anyone have any thoughts on my choice of Amps. I was thinking of getting another after how it sounded.

Just like yours, Sherbourns that matter are the monoblock construction ones, à-la-9BSST.

Happy to report my two 5/1500A are doing a marvelous job in my biamped 7.1 system. I had all auto shutoff relays replaced and I will keep them until the caps croak.

Apparently I am not the only one:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/ampli...1_1583crx.aspx

Last edited by bobpaule; 08-08-2014 at 03:13 AM.
post #26329 of 26334 Old 08-09-2014, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
got a Sherbourn 7/2100A
I have heard of this company but never saw one neither owned one. I checked them on the Internet e.g. here http://www.proacousticsusa.com/produ...l.php?pId=3788
and the concept looks very good to me. Seven toroidal transformers hence monaural setup - very nice. Indeed comparable to the Bryston amps. I never listened to them have no experience.
I think the concept looks very good and I would give them a try.

If you like them, I wish you both many hours of listening fun and may they last long.

PS: Does the company still exist? Couldn't find their homepage.
post #26330 of 26334 Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Slow warm up for speakers 20-30 minutes

So has anyone with the issue of the low sound levels until the 20-30 minute warm up completes actually had their AVP repaired yet? If so can you tell us what the repair entailed?
post #26331 of 26334 Old 08-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
So has anyone with the issue of the low sound levels until the 20-30 minute warm up completes actually had their AVP repaired yet? If so can you tell us what the repair entailed?
I have this problem but it happens only sporadically. I didn't bring mine for repair yet. Sorry not to be of more help here.
post #26332 of 26334 Old 08-10-2014, 01:26 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks - I think you may have a different issue. For me it is very quiet after first turning it on and it takes about 20 minutes but there is about a 40pt change in the volume during that time.
post #26333 of 26334 Old 08-12-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Several people had this, all who had the 3d board upgrade. We are kinda sure its a heat related problem and the 'fix' is replacing the digital board. I am getting more and more worried about this since there is no reason why it would not happen again to me (and others) and the boards are running out.

I think its time we send a 'organised' email to D&M HQ to at least ask how they will support fixing this clear weakness now in the 3d fix. It partly broke the extremely stable nature of the AVP and added a weakpoint. Part of the 'fix' is knowing what small elements need to be replaced instead of replacing the whole board.

i am 95% sure this is your problem.

Daniel.

post #26334 of 26334 Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Several people had this, all who had the 3d board upgrade. We are kinda sure its a heat related problem and the 'fix' is replacing the digital board. I am getting more and more worried about this since there is no reason why it would not happen again to me (and others) and the boards are running out.

I think its time we send a 'organised' email to D&M HQ to at least ask how they will support fixing this clear weakness now in the 3d fix. It partly broke the extremely stable nature of the AVP and added a weakpoint. Part of the 'fix' is knowing what small elements need to be replaced instead of replacing the whole board.

i am 95% sure this is your problem.

Daniel.
^^^ Sorry to hear about you guys with the 3D board issues. But I do need to say it makes me feel a bit better about not having touched my nice and stable AVP.

BOE- I hope the dealer / D&M take care of your issue promptly.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page