Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 881 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #26401 of 26425 Old 10-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^

Yes, it is all very confusing to me. I was speaking to someone on the phone yesterday who mentioned that the Denon 4520 had the most up-to-date version of XT32 because it was "platinum." I know that Audyssey Pro is considered great, but I got the impression from the phone conversation that not all XT32 is created equal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26402 of 26425 Old 10-13-2014, 11:03 AM

And just an FYI, I am posting my questions about Audyssey here because I am strongly considering getting the 3D-version of the A1-HDCI, but I am confused about whether there has been an updated version of Audyssey XT32 or Audyssey Pro since Denon offered the upgrade. I have read some very good things about the A1-HDCI, particularly the ability to dial-in 3 subs.
post #26403 of 26425 Old 10-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
And just an FYI, I am posting my questions about Audyssey here because I am strongly considering getting the 3D-version of the A1-HDCI, but I am confused about whether there has been an updated version of Audyssey XT32 or Audyssey Pro since Denon offered the upgrade. I have read some very good things about the A1-HDCI, particularly the ability to dial-in 3 subs.
First of all: The update period is over - it was over beginning of 2013. If you can't buy a used one with 3D update, it will be impossible to get a 3D update for a not updated A1-HDCI.

About Audyssey there are no updates. However, the individual implementations might vary. Denon did not include the Sub EQ HT for the A1 range - at least not the AVP - deliberately.
The only Audyssey Pro update known is the 4.0 version of the software, which deals only with ATMOS on newer Denon AVR, Onkyo has abandoned Audyssey.
However, the Pro software is updated time by time but no longer in the Denon A1 AVRs, pre/pros except the new X-series.

You can read more here: The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)

Hope, it helps
post #26404 of 26425 Old 10-13-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks

Thanks Ganymed4, I am aware that I would need to buy a used model with the 3d update. You say that Denon did not include a Sub EQ with the Audyssey XT32? I am looking to implement 4 subwoofers into my system, and I was thinking that the A1 might be a great tool in order to do so. The alternative would be the Marantz AV7702.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
First of all: The update period is over - it was over beginning of 2013. If you can't buy a used one with 3D update, it will be impossible to get a 3D update for a not updated A1-HDCI.

About Audyssey there are no updates. However, the individual implementations might vary. Denon did not include the Sub EQ HT for the A1 range - at least not the AVP - deliberately.
The only Audyssey Pro update known is the 4.0 version of the software, which deals only with ATMOS on newer Denon AVR, because Onkyo has abandoned Audyssey.
However, the Pro software is updated time by time but no longer in the Denon A1 AVRs, pre/pros except the new X-series.

You can read more here: The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)

Hope, it helps
post #26405 of 26425 Old 10-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Thanks Ganymed4, I am aware that I would need to buy a used model with the 3d update. You say that Denon did not include a Sub EQ with the Audyssey XT32? I am looking to implement 4 subwoofers into my system, and I was thinking that the A1 might be a great tool in order to do so. The alternative would be the Marantz AV7702.
I too have four subs; two sealed and two ported. The problem, at least for me, is that as the AVP does not include Sub EQ it cannot EQ all subs together; it only EQ's each sub output separately. This isn't too bad if all your subs are identical and in symmetrical pairs, mine are not identical although they are in symmetrical pairs. So while it optimizes the performance of each sub output it cannot take into consideration any room/sub interactions by EQ'ing them as one. For me this was a disaster and I eventually used an external Audyssey Sub EQ to EQ each sub pair then the AVP with a single sub output to equalize the resulting two pairs.

Even the above proved not to be ideal, so eventually I ended up with a Rane RD 22 to set the distances to each pair of subs, the external Sub EQ to equalize each pair, an SVS-1 to optimize some pole/zero response issues that Audyssey could not fix that resulted in a less than stellar decay at two frequencies and finally I got the frequency and decay response that I was looking for AND sounded good.

I forgot to mention that I also had to seal the ported subs (PB12NSD's) in order to get their group delays to look similar to the other sealed subs (SB2000's). More on this whole process in an upcoming AVS posting in my room thread.

Hope this hasn't scared you off. The AVP is still, in my humble opinion, the finest receiver on (now off) the market.
post #26406 of 26425 Old 10-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nah, not at all. All Marantz units are inferior to the AVP-A1 Sorry to say that, but the AVP-A1 -which is different to the AVC - is one of the best units for life-time. Not kidding here-
post #26407 of 26425 Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 PM

That is very informative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digione View Post
I too have four subs; two sealed and two ported. The problem, at least for me, is that as the AVP does not include Sub EQ it cannot EQ all subs together; it only EQ's each sub output separately. This isn't too bad if all your subs are identical and in symmetrical pairs, mine are not identical although they are in symmetrical pairs. So while it optimizes the performance of each sub output it cannot take into consideration any room/sub interactions by EQ'ing them as one. For me this was a disaster and I eventually used an external Audyssey Sub EQ to EQ each sub pair then the AVP with a single sub output to equalize the resulting two pairs.

At the present time, I will have 4 identical ported subs that should perform amazing, but I won't know for sure until I get them into the room. I like the idea of being able to EQ each sub differently, but perhaps it is better to have control over all of them as a unit? In the future, I would give consideration to including 4 additional front-loaded horn subs, which would be crossed over at either 26 hz or 32 hz.

Quote:

Even the above proved not to be ideal, so eventually I ended up with a Rane RD 22 to set the distances to each pair of subs, the external Sub EQ to equalize each pair, an SVS-1 to optimize some pole/zero response issues that Audyssey could not fix that resulted in a less than stellar decay at two frequencies and finally I got the frequency and decay response that I was looking for AND sounded good.

That sounds incredibly complicated. I don't have any experience with any of that equipment, so I would likely be floundering around like a chicken with it's head cut off

Quote:

I forgot to mention that I also had to seal the ported subs (PB12NSD's) in order to get their group delays to look similar to the other sealed subs (SB2000's). More on this whole process in an upcoming AVS posting in my room thread.

I wonder if I would be facing a similar situation with delay/phase problems if I attempted to incorporate ported subs with front-loaded horns?

Thanks!
post #26408 of 26425 Old 10-13-2014, 09:16 PM

Denon compared to Marantz

Quote:
Nah, not at all. All Marantz units are inferior to the AVP-A1 Sorry to say that, but the AVP-A1 -which is different to the AVC - is one of the best units for life-time. Not kidding here-

Do you mean current models, or every Marantz unit ever to be produced in the future? I have yet to hear the Marantz AV8801, but that seems to get a lot of praise. Have you heard that unit?

I realize from what I have read that the AVP-A1HDCI is an outstanding unit, and that it retailed for $7,500, but since the AV7702 is just being released this month, and the AV8802 comes out next year, how is possible to say that all Marantz units are inferior to the A1?

I am literally asking because I am considering a used AVP-A1HDCI and the Marantz AV7702 as my choices. Since I have never heard either, I am relying on what I read on the forums.

Thanks
post #26409 of 26425 Old 10-14-2014, 05:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Do you mean current models, or every Marantz unit ever to be produced in the future? I have yet to hear the Marantz AV8801, but that seems to get a lot of praise. Have you heard that unit?
I have a friend who owned the AV8801 for a short time and had not yet heard my AVP-A1HDCI at the time he made his purchase. He wasn't crazy about the sound (and based on a few visits, I would agree) and had a very negative impression of Audyssey. He ended up getting rid of his AV8801 and is currently using his Oppo BDP-105 as his preamp. His speakers are Revel Salon, Voice, and Gem (all the original versions, not the 2's) and amplification is a Parasound A51.

However, after he heard my AVP and how Audyssey sounds on it, it changed his impression of Audyssey and he felt the AVP sounded excellent in all respects. My speakers are Focal 1038Be, CC1008Be, and 4 x 1027S for side and rear surrounds and amplification is Parasound (a pair of JC-1's and an A51). So there are obviously more variables than just the pre-pro being used, but he's pretty well convinced that he would be happy with the AVP in his system. Neither of our rooms is acoustically treated and they're similar in layout, but certainly not identical.

Quote:
I realize from what I have read that the AVP-A1HDCI is an outstanding unit, and that it retailed for $7,500, but since the AV7702 is just being released this month, and the AV8802 comes out next year, how is possible to say that all Marantz units are inferior to the A1?

I am literally asking because I am considering a used AVP-A1HDCI and the Marantz AV7702 as my choices. Since I have never heard either, I am relying on what I read on the forums.
None of the Marantz pre-pros to date (including those that have been announced) have been based off of a true flagship AVR, while the AVP-A1HDCI is a true flagship product. If your choice is between the AVP-A1HDCI and AV7702, I feel safe in saying the AVP-A1HDCI will be better. However, the AVP-A1HDCI will never be able to handle 4K sources, will most likely never receive future firmware updates, and is old enough that availability for parts for some repairs may be an issue at this point. IMO, it's actually a tough choice. The AV8802 should be better than the AV7702, so it might be worth holding off a bit if you can. A true competitor to the AVP-A1HDCI would most likely be a 9 series product - perhaps AV9902, but nothing has been announced at this point.
post #26410 of 26425 Old 10-14-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I am somewhat new to the world of EQ and I am trying to get a handle on the versions/iterations of Audyssey. I know that Audyssey MultEQ XT was replaced by XT32. The Denon 4520 offers XT32 Platinum, and I noticed that other models have offered XT32 Gold.

Are there different versions of XT32 on Denon and Marantz units? If so, was the XT32 version offered on the upgraded 3-D units of the AVP-A1HDCI replaced by a "better" version of Audyssey XT32, or is the Audyssey offered on the AVP-A1HDCI still considered elite? In other words, will the EQ offered on the Marantz AV8801, AV7702 or AV8802 be superior to the upgraded Denon AVP-A1HDCI?

It would be wonderful if someone could enlighten me.
I Googled it and sure enough up pop some internet sites offering Denon AVRs with Audyssey Platinum and Gold..........Doesn't look like any new technology though - just a new way of describing the Audyssey features bundles.

Last edited by WillyJ; 10-14-2014 at 05:43 AM.
post #26411 of 26425 Old 10-14-2014, 06:06 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 1590
Quote:
I am somewhat new to the world of EQ and I am trying to get a handle on the versions/iterations of Audyssey. I know that Audyssey MultEQ XT was replaced by XT32. The Denon 4520 offers XT32 Platinum, and I noticed that other models have offered XT32 Gold.

Are there different versions of XT32 on Denon and Marantz units? If so, was the XT32 version offered on the upgraded 3-D units of the AVP-A1HDCI replaced by a "better" version of Audyssey XT32, or is the Audyssey offered on the AVP-A1HDCI still considered elite? In other words, will the EQ offered on the Marantz AV8801, AV7702 or AV8802 be superior to the upgraded Denon AVP-A1HDCI?

It would be wonderful if someone could enlighten me.
No there are not. Only the Platinum level would include XT32. The use of the different metal names is simply used for marketing purposes to describe what Audyssey features are offered at each level from the lower models (Bronze) up to the higher models (Platinum):

Bronze - MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume

Silver - MultEQ XT, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume

Gold - MultEQ XT, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, DSX, Pro Capable

Platinum - MultEQ XT32, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, DSX, Pro Capable, LFC, Sub EQ HT

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 10-14-2014 at 06:10 AM.
post #26412 of 26425 Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks
gsr answered this perfectly for me. Nothing to add to gsr's comments from my side. Thank you. That's also my point of view.

But I may add, that of today, it would be also difficult for me to decide whether to invest my money in an outdated unit, facing the problems gsr described, or wait until the new sound formats and HDMI and whatever else comes have settled for a while and buy then an AVR.
Happily, I am not in this position, because I own the AVP. And also, after reading the discussions here about ATMOS and the upcoming counterpart from DTS - not to forget Auro - I am sure, that I would have to make a quite tough decision today what to buy.
I do not make comparisons with others lately but if I listen to a good BD soundtrack in a lossless format, each time I am amazed about my AVP-A1 and how good it sounds with XT32 Pro. I find this really surprising. I had an Onkyo PR-SC5509 before the Denon and when I listened to this one, I was always thinking, this doesn't sound so good, there is not enough brilliance etc. I don't have these thoughts with the AVP - never had. I am also more than sure, that the Audyssey implementation in the Denon differs to others. However, Audyssey told me that there are no differences, when I asked them.
I believe that there is no new A1 in sight. This unit was a statement from Denon - look what we can do, when we do our best. And this unit is massive, huge amounts of the best materials, made in Japan and not in China - if I am not mistaken.

Who is following today a completely balanced layout? Nobody has this ever made again, at least I don't know of. Only to mention one thing.
However, it is as gsr wrote: Somehow outdated. However, I think this 'dinosaur' will last some years. ATMOS and the other new sound formats are backward compatible and if you don't need 4k through the AVR, everything is fine.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Ganymed4; 10-14-2014 at 03:49 PM.
post #26413 of 26425 Old 10-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I wonder if I would be facing a similar situation with delay/phase problems if I attempted to incorporate ported subs with front-loaded horns?

Thanks!
There will always be group delay differences from speakers that are from different design philosophies, topologies, manufacturers etc. I have had extensive discussions with Ed Mullen and several others at SVS and they clearly recommend NEVER to mix subs of different types, EVEN different sealed or different ported models of the same make. The differing group delays always make integrating them more complicated.

The degree of integration difficulty is unique to the room and its treatment, the sub placement and of course the group delay characteristics of the speakers.

If you have four identical subs and they are all placed at optimal locations prior to EQ I think that you should do OK.

Remember that all active subs, especially DSP controlled subs, often have complex filters to both protect the drivers and taylor the frequency response that can cause significant group delay characteristics and signal processing delays. The SB2000 for example has about 4-5mS of delay depending what you do with the controls and you have to see its group delay below 15Hz to really understand how severe things can get. BUT its still a GREAT sounding sub as you can't perceive the group delay at such low frequencies ...but these issues sure mess up integrating different subs.

Good luck.

Last edited by Digione; 10-14-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #26414 of 26425 Old 10-17-2014, 09:51 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
None of the Marantz pre-pros to date (including those that have been announced) have been based off of a true flagship AVR, while the AVP-A1HDCI is a true flagship product. If your choice is between the AVP-A1HDCI and AV7702, I feel safe in saying the AVP-A1HDCI will be better. However, the AVP-A1HDCI will never be able to handle 4K sources, will most likely never receive future firmware updates, and is old enough that availability for parts for some repairs may be an issue at this point. IMO, it's actually a tough choice. The AV8802 should be better than the AV7702, so it might be worth holding off a bit if you can. A true competitor to the AVP-A1HDCI would most likely be a 9 series product - perhaps AV9902, but nothing has been announced at this point.
I'm like a kid a week before Christmas getting excited about my next "gift" to myself. Only problem is, there is nothing to buy yet I love my AVP and if Denon released an AVP2, I'd buy it today but I'm a little anxious because I have no idea who will have what I want. I'd trust Denon to have the sound quality I'm looking for but have no idea about others. I know I'd never buy another Onkyo but that doesn't really narrow it down a whole lot. Let's hope Marantz decides to make a true flagship on the same level as the AVP. I don't know if I'll ever have more than 5 speakers but I do want amazing sound and amazing 4k video. I already have great amps, great speakers and will be buying an 85" 4K TV next year and the next Oppo but that leaves me searching for a couple of new prepros to replace my existing AVPs.

Last edited by boe; 10-17-2014 at 09:56 AM.
post #26415 of 26425 Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I'm like a kid a week before Christmas getting excited about my next "gift" to myself. Only problem is, there is nothing to buy yet I love my AVP and if Denon released an AVP2, I'd buy it today but I'm a little anxious because I have no idea who will have what I want. I'd trust Denon to have the sound quality I'm looking for but have no idea about others. I know I'd never buy another Onkyo but that doesn't really narrow it down a whole lot. Let's hope Marantz decides to make a true flagship on the same level as the AVP. I don't know if I'll ever have more than 5 speakers but I do want amazing sound and amazing 4k video. I already have great amps, great speakers and will be buying an 85" 4K TV next year and the next Oppo but that leaves me searching for a couple of new prepros to replace my existing AVPs.
boe, I am asking myself, why do your want to replace it? All Oppos have two HDMI outs. Where is the problem to separate sound and video? If you have not more than 5 speakers, why care about the new formats, like ATMOS, Auro and others? You definitely need more speakers for the new formats and the new formats are backward compatible.
I think just now is a bad time to think about a new AVR. Most older models did not receive an upgrade and new models will come next year. My feeling is, currently you can only buy some early adopter models. In my opinion, it would be wise to wait.
deckarep likes this.
post #26416 of 26425 Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
boe, I am asking myself, why do your want to replace it? All Oppos have two HDMI outs. Where is the problem to separate sound and video? If you have not more than 5 speakers, why care about the new formats, like ATMOS, Auro and others? You definitely need more speakers for the new formats and the new formats are backward compatible.
I think just now is a bad time to think about a new AVR. Most older models did not receive an upgrade and new models will come next year. My feeling is, currently you can only buy some early adopter models. In my opinion, it would be wise to wait.
Sorry, I guess my post wasn't clear. I don't have to replace it today but I want to be ready as soon as the new BR 4k format is available. So I'm on the hunt for new high end prepros to be release next year. Like I said there is nothing to buy YET. FYI, there is a pretty heavily discussed issue with audio delay when you use the two outs on the Oppos. In addition even at HDMI 1.4, it will not support 4k/60 or the new color standards. I want 4K/60 asap so I want something ready for hdmi 2.0, hdcp 2.2, rec 2020, hevc h.265. I'm not that concerned about ATMOS or AURO - again I just want amazing sound. The AVP has fantastic sound. I bought an Onkyo prepro before I got my AVP and it sounded like crap (although it pretty much had all the latest features the AVP had). It isn't just the bells and whistles that matter but the quality. Who knows I may eventually put in more speakers but I do know I want the best of 4K the moment it is available. I'll be buying an 85" 4K TV as long as it is HDCP 2.2 certified (not hdcp 2.2 upgradable). For all I know the whole HDCP 2.2 thing may get dropped as the HDCP original proposals for 1080 BR was scrapped (it was pretty much supposed to work like HDCP 2.2 but due to backwards compatibility it was dropped).

Last edited by boe; Yesterday at 09:49 PM.
post #26417 of 26425 Old Today, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

I understand and also feel with you, because I had an Onkyo PR-SC5509 before the AVP - day and night. I wouldn't say, that the Onkyo was this bad but it is easy to hear the difference in the price range. If I look at the inside of nearly all other pre/pros currently on the market, it is easy for me, to keep my AVP as long as it lasts.
I mean I understand your reasons quite well, but even I would go 4K, I would keep my AVP for sound and bypass it for the video signal. I mean this is with more and more 4K sources coming a bit less comfortable but an HDMI switch with two or more outs, could also do this job.
For a new pre/pro for you, I have no idea. All other pre/pros in the range of the AVP don't have HDMI 2.0 - as far as I know. BTW you won't need HEVC in a pre/pro. There is nothing inside to decode a picture usually.

I wish you good luck and may be the Marantz 8802 will do it for you.
post #26418 of 26425 Old Today, 06:47 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'm hoping that by May of next year we'll see something. Maybe Marantz will release a 9902 or Anthem will have a new unit or even Oppo - who knows? There are a few brands I'd be willing to try. That being said, I still love my AVP and would buy an AVP2 in a heartbeat but everyone seems pretty sure there will be no such joy. I agree, I won't necessarily need hevc in the pre pro but everyone at this point seems to believe hdcp 2.2 will need to be on the prepro.

Last edited by boe; Today at 07:13 AM.
post #26419 of 26425 Old Today, 07:17 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 179
IMHO, this is a good time to sit tight, save up some money, and see how things shake out. Unless my TV or AVP outright died in the interim, I'm not inclined to replace either until things settle down with 4K. If either died and couldn't be repaired, I would probably go with something relatively cheap to hold me over for now.
post #26420 of 26425 Old Today, 07:22 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

I hear what you are saying but instead of sitting tight, I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, awaiting some development in a new high end prepro. I bought my first AVP several months after they were released and I regret the time I wasted with my old onkyo.

Last edited by boe; Today at 11:09 AM.
post #26421 of 26425 Old Today, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

I do not envy you boe. This is a hard time, waiting to see that manufacturers are coming out with something new in the pre/pro area.

But the current situation as I see it, is that there are many changes on-going in the HT world. You mentioned most of them. But I can also see a general trend and never saw new sound formats adopted at such speed, just by changing the software/firmware. I mean Auro.
I have to say, that I find this amazing at which speed it is suddenly possible to adopt a new sound format to AVRs. But I really like this, because it seems that the industry has learned something from suffering not enough processing power and may be even not enough memory in their AVRs and pre/pros.
I mean, some time ago, somebody wrote in this thread, that a new Denon flagship or Marantz flagship, should be fully modular. May be this is the way to go?
But this will take some time.
Last week I learned something about Software Defined Networks. A network is completely running on cloud servers, you only need the physical connections and everything else is in software, down to the network card. Amazing, in my opinion.
The Datasat is already something like this and people say, that this thing sounds very good, even I trust more 'real hardware' like in the AVP, rather than software. However, it seems it is the future and I would pay for upgrades. But in the same moment, everything would be dependent on the software and no longer on the hardware. Change of business model for the whole industry.
My guess is, that we are at the dawn of a new era and that the industry will change dramatically. Well, just thinking loud.
post #26422 of 26425 Old Today, 01:56 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do not envy you boe. This is a hard time, waiting to see that manufacturers are coming out with something new in the pre/pro area.
Not to worry - I think most of us will be ready to buy a new prepro in time, I'm just ready (financially) now While I may not even see anything at CES that fits the bill, it could well be another 12 months before something like the AVP comes out - it's kind of the fun of it though, the anticipation and research of the next best thing - don't you think? I doubt that many of us buy a car and say - I'll never need to buy another in my lifetime. While a car certainly has more longevity for most of us than an AVP or computer, they are all limited in their lifespan. Granted a victrola can sound as good as the day it was manufactured, not many of us would want a victrola as our main source of music.
post #26423 of 26425 Old Today, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with you boe, however, I hope that the industry don't let us down. Honestly, I am tired of spending on new HDMI versions, only for the new HDCP versions and I am tired of spending money on 'the next big thing'. HEVC is great, minimizing the data by another 50 percent. But please, in software, not in FPGAs or DSPs. Thank you.

But I wish you a lot of fun with your new gadgets and stuff!
post #26424 of 26425 Old Today, 03:59 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

I have a feeling about 75% of us will end up with the same prepro to replace our AVP whatever that may be. Chances are the bulk of us have an Oppo BR and I don't think that is a coincidence. When it comes to TVs there are a few to choose from but when it comes to bang for the buck prepros there aren't too many to choose from IMHO. I used to buy Sony ES disc players and then Denon and finally Oppo. I wouldn't buy another Sony as the ES line is pretty weak now. I hope that the rumors that Denon is only going to cater to the low end crowd is just a rumor. I imagine there is more money in the Walmart/Costco crowd but I'm hoping they also consider continuing to make high end equipment as they are welcome to our niche money as well. However if they do drop out of that niche, I certainly hope Oppo considers jumping in to that arena.

Last edited by boe; Today at 04:50 PM.
post #26425 of 26425 Old Today, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For those of you itching for the latet-greatest Pre-pro and have some coin, here is the one to go with: The Trinnov Altitude 32

I almost pulled the trigger on this, but the cost held me back. It is a fantastic piece!

I'm planning on getting a Trinnov MC unit to pair with my AVP and whatever comes next to handle the Room Correction and crossover duties.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page