Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 882 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #26431 of 26445 Old 10-25-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Source naming

I have renamed the DVD source as Oppo 105, because that is what I am using. On the AVP display it says "Oppo 105 VD". Note the letters "VD" after a gap (which is longer than displayed here). I never entered these letters and no other source has letters appearing beyond the 8 character limit. What is going on?

Dave

I've worked it out - the VD stands for Video Direct. I must have pressed the HDMI Direct button on the front panel under the flap. The same move also hides the on-screen volume setting. I've returned things to normal.

Last edited by DJB of Poole; 10-25-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added answer to my own question - left it all for reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26432 of 26445 Old 10-25-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't posted in this thread for a few years at least.

I'm a happy owner of 2 * POA Amps + 1 AVP (not 3d upgraded) pre.

Finally after many years of inactivity (read = happy, not buying any new stuff), we're building a new home and looking for the latest & greatest.

I'm wiring the hometheater room with 4 * Atmos ceiling speakers + 9.1 'usual' floor standing speakers, for a 9.1.4 speaker setup. I'm also getting a Sony 4K projector etc.

The only missing piece is finding the equivalent of the AVP pre/pro, that is Atmos ready.
No luck finding one, despite a lot of AVS reading + google!

The new Marantz AV8802 (not yet released) seemed to be it, but the AVS thread suggests it can only support 11 active speakers (and not my intended 13 speaker setup - or maybe more, after all, the 2 * POA amps are already there anyway).

Any chance someone here is aware of rumors of a soon to be released pre/pro that could match the mythical Denon AVP?
By soon, I'm talking May / June of next year timeframe.

Many thanks!
post #26433 of 26445 Old 10-25-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post
I have renamed the DVD source as Oppo 105, because that is what I am using. On the AVP display it says "Oppo 105 VD". Note the letters "VD" after a gap (which is longer than displayed here). I never entered these letters and no other source has letters appearing beyond the 8 character limit. What is going on?

Dave

I've worked it out - the VD stands for Video Direct. I must have pressed the HDMI Direct button on the front panel under the flap. The same move also hides the on-screen volume setting. I've returned things to normal.
DJB (Dave) Yep VD just means (HDMI)Video Direct.
FWIW Cinema Mike recommends running AVP 3D with VD enabled for HDMI..

Cheers Buddy.
DJB of Poole likes this.
post #26434 of 26445 Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post
DJB (Dave) Yep VD just means (HDMI)Video Direct.
FWIW Cinema Mike recommends running AVP 3D with VD enabled for HDMI..

Cheers Buddy.
That is interesting. Any idea precisely why he recommends this? Where can I read his reasons? The most obvious downside was the disappearance of the volume-change GUI when VD is enabled. This I found mildly irritating but if the result is otherwise beneficial I could live with it.

Dave
post #26435 of 26445 Old 10-26-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can anyone help with a few Multizone audio questions? Have a 3D upgraded AVP.

1) Does the 3D upgrade mean no stereo down mix for zones?
2a) Does it do D/A conversion for zones 2 and 3?
2b) Does it do D/A for HDMI sources?
2c) What about DSD?
3) Does it do A/D conversion for zones 2 and 4?
4) Can a second display be supported simultaneously on HDMI 2 out? (Providing EDID is compatible)
post #26436 of 26445 Old 10-27-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
Can anyone help with a few Multizone audio questions? Have a 3D upgraded AVP.

1) Does the 3D upgrade mean no stereo down mix for zones?
2a) Does it do D/A conversion for zones 2 and 3?
2b) Does it do D/A for HDMI sources?
2c) What about DSD?
3) Does it do A/D conversion for zones 2 and 4?
4) Can a second display be supported simultaneously on HDMI 2 out? (Providing EDID is compatible)
1. ?
2a
2b. ?
2c yes does dsd
3?
4 yes

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #26437 of 26445 Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
That is interesting. Any idea precisely why he recommends this? Where can I read his reasons? The most obvious downside was the disappearance of the volume-change GUI when VD is enabled. This I found mildly irritating but if the result is otherwise beneficial I could live with it.

Dave
I can only guess but Daniel wrote some time ago, that Cinemike recommends to use pure direct and now I read he also recommends video direct. It seems, he wants to avoid any processing of the signal in the AVP and therefore get a less DSP distorted signal.
Everybody can judge on his own, what looks/sounds better, I would say.
I am using it with. If you use direct for video and audio, the Realta T2 for video processing is switched off or bypassed and Audyssey is off and all kind of audio processing.
post #26438 of 26445 Old 10-27-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
I can only guess but Daniel wrote some time ago, that Cinemike recommends to use pure direct and now I read he also recommends video direct. It seems, he wants to avoid any processing of the signal in the AVP and therefore get a less DSP distorted signal.
Everybody can judge on his own, what looks/sounds better, I would say.
I am using it with. If you use direct for video and audio, the Realta T2 for video processing is switched off or bypassed and Audyssey is off and all kind of audio processing.
I find the idea of minimising processing appealing. As long as speaker levels and bass crossover is sorted for me, that will do. Now I have discovered that Audyssey limits my hi-res listening to 24/48 I am much less inclined to want it. Silly I know, because I doubt I could hear any difference if it were the full 24/192!
post #26439 of 26445 Old 10-28-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave, I tried to find where CineMike mentioned using Video direct but no joy. It may of been mentioned on the You tube vid they did about what's involved in the AVP 3D upgrade but I cant be sure now as it was so long ago.. But Ganymed4 pretty much hit the nail on the head with his above post..
post #26440 of 26445 Old 10-28-2014, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I find the idea of minimising processing appealing. As long as speaker levels and bass crossover is sorted for me, that will do. Now I have discovered that Audyssey limits my hi-res listening to 24/48 I am much less inclined to want it. Silly I know, because I doubt I could hear any difference if it were the full 24/192!
I also read about this limitation and Audyssey states that it has something to do with the individual processing power of each AVR. However, I wouldn't take this for granted in all cases. I think you can only guess here. If we are talking here about an upgraded AVP, it just receives more processing power - three new DSPs - by the upgrade. If this is sufficient to process higher bit-rates and quantization levels, I plainly don't know.
I once made a not blind test of the same music stereo track - I bought at the Linn store and they offer plain stereo 16/44 and 24/96. First I thought I hear a difference but after switching tracks several times, I couldn't hear a difference.
I came to the conclusion, if it sounds good, it is ok, if not, the reason is surely not that it is only 16/44
post #26441 of 26445 Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
I also read about this limitation and Audyssey states that it has something to do with the individual processing power of each AVR. However, I wouldn't take this for granted in all cases. I think you can only guess here. If we are talking here about an upgraded AVP, it just receives more processing power - three new DSPs - by the upgrade. If this is sufficient to process higher bit-rates and quantization levels, I plainly don't know.
I once made a not blind test of the same music stereo track - I bought at the Linn store and they offer plain stereo 16/44 and 24/96. First I thought I hear a difference but after switching tracks several times, I couldn't hear a difference.
I came to the conclusion, if it sounds good, it is ok, if not, the reason is surely not that it is only 16/44
Yeh! Agree. I do have the 3D upgrade but as I understand it Audyssey XT32 processing is carried out at 24/48 by default in Denon's implementation of the software. Extra processing power will therefore only make it faster. (I wonder why they called it XT32, it cannot be 32 bit can it?)

My belief is that recording quality - in classical particularly (I don't listen to anything else so have no opinion) - comes down to microphone technique: placement and number of mics, the fewer the better. If a recording was made optimally to start with then I suspect 24/48 is effectively the best you can hear from the master. Impossible to prove because the judgement is subjective

Dave
post #26442 of 26445 Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

XT32 has 4x the number of filter points for subwoofer frequencies as XT, and 32x the number of filter points for frequencies above that

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/audio-processing/68407-audyssey-multeq-faq-setup-guide.html#ixzz3HRxsPJLh

So I guess that's why they called it XT 32..

Cheers
post #26443 of 26445 Old 10-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Dave

VD was added during the XT32 upgrade so that the AVP would support 3D passthrough. It bypasses the AVP scaler and GFX insertion. You MAY notice a slight improvement in video quality when running native 1080P24 and VD in 2D mode. Hence the comments about using it for 2D.
post #26444 of 26445 Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My belief is that recording quality - in classical particularly (I don't listen to anything else so have no opinion) - comes down to microphone technique: placement and number of mics, the fewer the better. If a recording was made optimally to start with then I suspect 24/48 is effectively the best you can hear from the master. Impossible to prove because the judgement is subjective

Dave
As a sound engineer, as I am, you are always using the best available, which would be 24/196 today. However, the more information you have, the better it is. My personal opinion is to get all sound - especially overtones - with the best available quantization. I mean as somebody doing the mix, you do often things, which are not correctly by the book. You are bending the sound to sound good. However, I also did recordings of Free Jazz with zero EQ and all levels on half. Also interesting and a way to do recordings.
Well, everything goes and no one limits you. Personally I like the pure sound. I have listened in a controlled environment to a live session, recorded and from an LP. Guess what, the LP sounded best. 100.000 $ equipment, Krell amps, JBL Everest speakers and such.

Sound can be really amazing, The differences are subtle and the AVP does best!

I hope that Denon or Marantz will do this again. It is really worth the money.
post #26445 of 26445 Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Oppo bdp-103d

I just swapped out my barely used BDP-83 for the 103D primarily because I wanted to stream multi-channel audio to my AVP through DLNA from my NAS. Have not really tried the Darbee stuff yet as I just but that as a hedge over the regular 103.

It works great through HDMI to the AVP so the handful of Hi Def DVD's that I have I ripped to MKV and they play the Dolby Digital + just fine. Did not do that on the 83 which has so so DLNA support.

I can now dump my Windows 7 HTPC in favor of a new iMac Mini I just bought. Since Apple does not believe in HD discs, I had to convert all of these plus my DVD audios before I dumped the Windows machine.

Chris
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page