Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 885 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes
post #26521 of 26542 Old 01-03-2015, 09:56 AM
PLA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaydoun View Post
Same here. I updated my AVP. Can't tell what was updated. Anyone else?
DSP1 Firmware update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26522 of 26542 Old 01-03-2015, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
just did the 17min update...not sure what its for...I'd just take it as denon house keeping

as with any firmware updates over the net I made make sure hooked up wired and direct to the router :thumb:

good to know denon continuing to support their flagship some 7 years after release

long may it live the Denon AVP

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #26523 of 26542 Old 01-04-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any idea of what they actually updated the firmware for? SJ
post #26524 of 26542 Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekohn00 View Post
Had the same exact problem, only with the center channel. Tested the Marantz 7702 as a replacement and decided to repair the AVP. Turned out some caps went bad. It's repaired now and working great.

Hi,

First happy new year to you all, not been on this board for a while so ekohn is new to me .

The info you post is very important, I was the first (i think) to have had the level problem about 2 years ago. CineMike replaced the audio board. It started only on the center channel but will get worse over time. Many by now have had this problem and most have had it fixed by replacing the board. The good news that its as far as we know the only weak point in the avp (maybe as a result of the 3d update maybe just age).

You are as far as i know the first who had the board fixed by replacing the caps on it, this is important to me since i (and maybe more) are worried that denon might run out of the digital boards soon. It would be very helpful if you can contact the repearshop and ask if they are willing to share a little more information on what parts had to be replaced since its a common problem by now.

Knowing that it can be fixed without a new board makes me happy to keep the avp for a while, most of us now own it for 8 years and it seems more than a few will go for a full decade and thats bloody amazing.

Daniel.
Happy new year to you too!

I have the impression that after the 3d upgrade I noticed the problem, but can't say for sure. Because later on I moved the Denon in a cabinet as well.
In fact, I spoke over the phone with a repair man and he thinks that the heat generated by the Denon into the cabinet (not completely closed, I always leave the door a little open), is the culprit.

But again, it's just a speculation at this point.
post #26525 of 26542 Old 01-05-2015, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Any idea of what they actually updated the firmware for? SJ
The answer was posted one page back: Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread.

The summary is: They fixed the timing behaviour of DTS-HD Master Audio decoding
post #26526 of 26542 Old 01-05-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the firmware update: I usually leave my AVP disconnected from the network, so I plugged it in this am and did a 'check for updates' and it reported that I had "latest".

Given that the firmware was just released and several of you have retrieved it, I wonder why it did not show anything. I'll leave it plugged into the network, and in standby, then check again tomorrow morning.
post #26527 of 26542 Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
The answer was posted one page back: Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread.

The summary is: They fixed the timing behaviour of DTS-HD Master Audio decoding
Thanks. Since my local Denon service center closed, I'm a little gunshy of updating unless their is an actual issue being corrected. I've not seen any issues with DTS-HD, so maybe I'll hold off on this one for now. SJ
post #26528 of 26542 Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
Regarding the firmware update: I usually leave my AVP disconnected from the network, so I plugged it in this am and did a 'check for updates' and it reported that I had "latest".

Given that the firmware was just released and several of you have retrieved it, I wonder why it did not show anything. I'll leave it plugged into the network, and in standby, then check again tomorrow morning.
Jonathan

Do you have the 3D update for the AVP? I guess that this update applies only to updated AVPs. However, this is only a guess. A DTS HD decoding DSP bug fix should also apply to not upgraded AVPs, isn't it.

In my case the AVP showed on the display that it is 'authenticating', with what and to which purpose - no information.

After the upgrade or bug fix, I couldn't hear any difference. DTS HD-MA tracks sound the same as before. I guess, this is only a minor bug. But there is also not much information from Denon about this issue.

BTW I also have this volume problem, for about 15 minutes after switching on the AVP. It occurs only with stereo sources. In my case, it affects all channels and can be solved, by turning up the volume. After doing this, it is gone. And yes, in my case, it also happened after the 3D upgrade. Up to now, I was reluctant to bring it to the repair shop, because the problem occurs sporadic, not always and is therefore not easy to identify for the repair shop and it goes away after turning up the volume.

Markus
post #26529 of 26542 Old 01-16-2015, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
Jonathan

Do you have the 3D update for the AVP? I guess that this update applies only to updated AVPs. However, this is only a guess. A DTS HD decoding DSP bug fix should also apply to not upgraded AVPs, isn't it.
I still have the original hardware, as I depend on surround A / B switching that was removed in the 3D upgrade. I use Audyssey Pro, have speaker processors (its an active crossover for the three fronts + sub) and a well treated room, so even though I wanted XT32, I don't think I'm losing much by not having it. Considering the bugs/hardware issues some have run into, glad I did not upgrade.

Back to the firmware, multiple checks across various days showed my device as current with the 'latest', so it must be only for the 3D upgrade models.
post #26530 of 26542 Old 01-16-2015, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Haven't noticed any issues with DTS HD playback on my AVP-3D so not going to risk the DSP update in fear of bricking it ...

Has any one checked what version Firmware they have on there AVP-3D before and after the DSP Update ?..
post #26531 of 26542 Old 01-17-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post
Haven't noticed any issues with DTS HD playback on my AVP-3D so not going to risk the DSP update in fear of bricking it ...

Has any one checked what version Firmware they have on there AVP-3D before and after the DSP Update ?..
chicken !

bricking was something in years gone by before they changed the update process. you cant brick now. it won't apply the update until downloaded and checked and only then its applied

also just to be sure do the update directly hooked up wired to modem. most problems in early days with denons was people trying to update via wireless.

I'd tell you the version no if knew how to look that up

if do check for firmware it just tells you if there is one there for you to update or not

post #26532 of 26542 Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank Al,

Checking AVP-A1 firmware ver
a) Power 'Off' using Main Power Switch (not the stand by button).
b) On facia, press 'dimmer' and 'Status' together whilst powering unit back on.
c) Release both buttons after a few seconds.
d) The 'Status' button will toggle through the firmware starting with product serial no.
e) Normal operation is resumed when power cycled.

Hear is my DSP & software ver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSP 1-2 (640x480).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	485666   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSP-3 (640x480).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	485674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main ver (640x480).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	485682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Rom (640x480).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	485690  
post #26533 of 26542 Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post
Thank Al,

Checking AVP-A1 firmware ver
a) Power 'Off' using Main Power Switch (not the stand by button).
b) On facia, press 'dimmer' and 'Status' together whilst powering unit back on.
c) Release both buttons after a few seconds.
d) The 'Status' button will toggle through the firmware starting with product serial no.
e) Normal operation is resumed when power cycled.

Hear is my DSP & software ver
CM…I have confession to make…just as you are chicken to do an update…am just as much a chicken to be using a key sequence with the AVP just incase stuffs something up in the key sequence as booting up…its working a treat as it is…best leave well alone as they say

post #26534 of 26542 Old 01-23-2015, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
CM…I have confession to make…just as you are chicken to do an update…am just as much a chicken to be using a key sequence with the AVP just incase stuffs something up in the key sequence as booting up…its working a treat as it is…best leave well alone as they say
Yeah no problemo Bro ..
BTW did you end up installing the latest AVP-3D (DSP) update? ..

Cheers mate..
post #26535 of 26542 Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry I must have Overlooked the post you made about doing the latest 17min update Al

Cheers..
alebonau likes this.
post #26536 of 26542 Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
chicken !

bricking was something in years gone by before they changed the update process. you cant brick now. it won't apply the update until downloaded and checked and only then its applied

also just to be sure do the update directly hooked up wired to modem. most problems in early days with denons was people trying to update via wireless.

I'd tell you the version no if knew how to look that up

if do check for firmware it just tells you if there is one there for you to update or not
OK. Updated mine with no issues 😄. Thanks. SJ
alebonau likes this.
post #26537 of 26542 Old 01-27-2015, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Really? I am also still a chicken here, because I have bricked my AVP before and REALLY don't want it to happen again. That was before the 3D upgrade got installed though...
post #26538 of 26542 Old 01-27-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiter View Post
Really? I am also still a chicken here, because I have bricked my AVP before and REALLY don't want it to happen again. That was before the 3D upgrade got installed though...
yes really was some years ago an update was applied that meant the procedure in applying the update was altered. i.e. first download….then checking and verifying the download and only then applying it. of course depends if you actually had that update or not whether this new procedure was utilised

our local denon was quite specific in the new procedure and also the requirement on connection and equipment used to update. I don't particularly think denon wanted to be paying under warranty for bricked units and having them cleared either.

if really worried you don't have to do the update….or if were still keen and chicken could pay for someone to do the update for you at the service centre, but I doubt many will take that route

post #26539 of 26542 Unread Yesterday, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Unless you lived in close proximity to D&M service centre & don't mind waiting A week or more ..
Its A big hassle let alone the risk & stress with shipping an AVP , No thanks ..

If after performing an update there was multiple owners reporting a noticeable improvement I would likely follow suit
instead of leaning on the side of caution (Being Chicken ..

Cheers..
post #26540 of 26542 Unread Yesterday, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question Turning Audyssey Off

I have run my system with Audyssey On for several years. Having recently had considerable success with bypassing the AVP altogether for vinyl stereo I wondered about experimenting with turning Audyssey off for the remaining sources. Partly, but not entirely, I have wondered about the value of avoiding the 24/48 downsampling it imposes on hi-res sources.

Can the experts advise me: what precisely will I turn off by doing this?
Will speaker distances be set to some default?
Will speaker levels be set to some default?
Will the sub-crossover, mode and level be changed?
Will I have to go through the manual setup procedure to set all these correctly?

I expect Audyssey 'Off' to result in speaker responses being placed in their 'natural' state and to be without correction, that is what I want to try out. The remaining settings clearly need to be set correctly. Are they aspects of Audyssey or merely settings that Audyssey does so that its key job of equalisation can be maximally successful?

Dave
post #26541 of 26542 Unread Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a Sony VW600es and an Oppo 103d. I'd prefer to upscale the image to 4K by using the Oppo. The Oppo has two HDMI outs. The Denon AVP isn't 4K compatible. But, say I use HDMI 1 out directly to my projector. Then run the Oppo's HDMI 2 out to the Denon, just for audio, will I get sound?

I'm aware I can try it and see, but it would involve a major effort and I don't want to go through it simply to fail. Anyone ever try this? I'm hoping the Denon AVP's HDMI inputs can still be used for audio when 4K becomes the norm.
post #26542 of 26542 Unread Today, 09:31 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
I have a Sony VW600es and an Oppo 103d. I'd prefer to upscale the image to 4K by using the Oppo. The Oppo has two HDMI outs. The Denon AVP isn't 4K compatible. But, say I use HDMI 1 out directly to my projector. Then run the Oppo's HDMI 2 out to the Denon, just for audio, will I get sound?

I'm aware I can try it and see, but it would involve a major effort and I don't want to go through it simply to fail. Anyone ever try this? I'm hoping the Denon AVP's HDMI inputs can still be used for audio when 4K becomes the norm.
Yes, that's one of the reasons why the Oppo has 2 HDMI outputs. The primary reason to use them is if you have a display that can do 3D and/or 4K, but an AVR or surround sound processor that can't pass one or the other through. Set the Oppo to Split A/V and you should be good to go. Just make sure that HDMI1 goes to the display and HDMI2 goes to the AVP in this case or you won't get the result you're hoping for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page