Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 887 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes
post #26581 of 26607 Old 02-13-2015, 08:05 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I probably will put street price in the US for my poll questions. I'm afraid there would be no way to cover so many places including Europe, China, Japan and Australia etc. While their opinions certainly are every bit as important as the US buyers, I'm afraid my knowledge of markup for other countries and arbitrage are sadly lacking. I could just leave that section of the poll out if people think it would cause too much concern. I've only got a few responses to the poll questions I've asked for feedback so it could be a while before I create the thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26582 of 26607 Old 02-13-2015, 08:30 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
I was talking about the last list price of the already upgraded AVP in Germany. And this was around 10000 Euros at this point of time, including the 3D update. I also remember prices of about 6000 at the beginning. Later it climbed to 8000 and then reached 10000 but including the 3D upgrade.
However, I don't mind, we can go on with the starting price of $7499 for the comparison.
I don't think the AVP was ever sold in the USA with the 3D upgrade pre-installed, but the 3D upgrade cost about $1000 USD here.
post #26583 of 26607 Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I probably will put street price in the US for my poll questions. I'm afraid there would be no way to cover so many places including Europe, China, Japan and Australia etc. While their opinions certainly are every bit as important as the US buyers, I'm afraid my knowledge of markup for other countries and arbitrage are sadly lacking. I could just leave that section of the poll out if people think it would cause too much concern. I've only got a few responses to the poll questions I've asked for feedback so it could be a while before I create the thread.
Personally, I would stick with MSRP and expect that people can figure out what discounts they can get on their own. In general, AVS doesn't like price talk other than MSRP anyway.
post #26584 of 26607 Old 02-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I agree to gsr.
post #26585 of 26607 Old 02-15-2015, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post
I was talking about the last list price of the already upgraded AVP in Germany. And this was around 10000 Euros at this point of time, including the 3D update. I also remember prices of about 6000 at the beginning. Later it climbed to 8000 and then reached 10000 but including the 3D upgrade.
However, I don't mind, we can go on with the starting price of $7499 for the comparison.
Nope it was 6999euro when it came out andn 8999euro when they stopped _without_ the update. The update was 1200euro and it was never sold pre-installed maybe in the end they sold demo models that had it installed but it was never a official product. Also keep in mind the euro/dollar where different of back then i remember getting the avp+poa+2500BT for about $22000 back in 2008 fun times !!!

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #26586 of 26607 Old 02-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Yep, everything fine. I would propose to stop the MSRP discussion here and take the US MSRP mentioned before as reference. OK?
post #26587 of 26607 Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I don't think the AVP was ever sold in the USA with the 3D upgrade pre-installed, but the 3D upgrade cost about $1000 USD here.
When I had my upgrade done there were about 8 being done for Magnolia in Nor Calif for the stock they still had on hand. But that was not a factory issue, just inventory they thought they could not sell new without being upgraded.

Chris
post #26588 of 26607 Old 02-15-2015, 10:11 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post
When I had my upgrade done there were about 8 being done for Magnolia in Nor Calif for the stock they still had on hand. But that was not a factory issue, just inventory they thought they could not sell new without being upgraded.
Right, I meant pre-installed from the factory...
post #26589 of 26607 Old 02-17-2015, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
so i am going to get the Denon DVD A1UDCI Player
well i am thinking hard on it and i was wondering before i make my final decision on it
what about the Denon link 4 ? thoughts will a regular Ethernet Cable work or do you need the actual cable by Denon
and if so where to get one. whats to gain hooked to my A1HDCI

any ansers would be appreciated thanks
post #26590 of 26607 Old 02-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgarcia View Post
so i am going to get the Denon DVD A1UDCI Player
well i am thinking hard on it and i was wondering before i make my final decision on it
what about the Denon link 4 ? thoughts will a regular Ethernet Cable work or do you need the actual cable by Denon
and if so where to get one. whats to gain hooked to my A1HDCI

any ansers would be appreciated thanks
Not too sure about the cable but the player should come with the Denon DL cable. I have had the 4010 and now have the A100 both have DL4 and are connected to my AVP over DL4. DL4 seams to provide a slightly smoother mid and top end notable on Blu Ray Audio vocals but barely noticeable on any blu ray movies - (I listen on 5 Genelec 1038's). However I also own the Oppo 103 and it runs rings around both the 4010 and A100 video performance (I assume similar to the A1), the load times, general usability and support are also far better. The difference in audio is also very small (comparing DL4/DL3 to audio over HDMI), you may also want to consider the Oppo 105 as it has outstanding analog performance. I do not know what you are looking for from the A1.

In my opinion the benefits of DL4 are very small as it only applies to Blu Ray material, DL3 certainly provides a little improvement for none Blu Ray material again in the mid and higher frequencies. If I lost DL tomorrow I would not shed a tear as my Oppo provides exceptionally great performance and convenience.

Also the A1 is an "old" player now and I am no longer impressed with the level of support that Denon now provides since they were absorbed by D&M Holdings, and many of the die hard old timers have now left.

Last edited by Digione; 02-18-2015 at 06:01 PM.
post #26591 of 26607 Old 02-18-2015, 06:10 PM

well thanks for the info
I just bought it and will have it on Monday
I want it to match my system i am also after the matching Poa amp
but as for now i have 2 of the 3 pieces. I too have a Oppo the 105D
I read on some site that the player by Denon does 14 bit video and my 105 is 12 bit
also read that oppo 105 is 32 sabre and 105d is 24 bit not sure if that is true .

do not know what jitter is but i guess i can reduce it via denon link or over hdmi
i do know that some blu rays have a slight delay on voice to mouth movement
and maybe with the denon link it can get them more in sync.

I am also going to sell my Marantz 7702 and wait for a better pre pro like my Denon
i like the 7702 but for some reason i do not like having to turn my pre pro on and off a couple times to it picks up the signal. but then again maybe a firmware update fixes that problem.
post #26592 of 26607 Old 02-19-2015, 11:30 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Moderators can you create 2 part poll threads?

I'd be happy to start a thread that actually starts out with a poll of brands people are considering (provided they made something to handle the newest standards that the AVP can't). Since I can't add a poll to a thread or modify the poll choices please PM me with any brand you want in the poll and I'll add it. To be clear, first part of the poll would be what manufacturer would you consider for an upgrade e.g. Denon, Anthem, Oppo etc.

The second part of the poll would be- what feature are you most concerned with - e.g. True Balanced, HDMI 2.0, DTS:X, HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 etc. So please PM me any part you'd like and I'll create as thorough of a thread starter as I can based on the responses I get.

I'd suggest just posting those responses here but I don't want to take this thread off course as some have suggested.

I do have one thread started a long time ago - Would you be interested in a preamp/processor made by Oppo? but it doesn't really cover what I just suggested.

Hello,

I did get some very nice PMs but not too many. Tomorrow I'll start the poll - price you'd be willing to pay - list, features e.g. DTS-X, HDMI 2.0 and brands you might consider IF they offered an prepro that had the features you want e.g. Rotel, Denon, Oppo etc. So if anyone wants to PM me any features they would like please do so NOW as I can't add features to a poll after the fact. I'll post a rough draft here to try and avoid the usual after post saying you should have had a choice for...
post #26593 of 26607 Old 02-19-2015, 05:01 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Hello,

This is a poll really designed for people looking to replace their AVP and get something of similar acoustic quality but with modern features the AVP will not be able to provide. There are things in this list I wouldn't really care about but that is the point of the poll - to find out what the majority wants. I'm happy to adjust things I have wrong, add more items etc. So if you have any helpful changes please let me know before I post this tomorrow.

This is what I have so far thanks to the PMs I got. I'm not sure if I should throw in brands like Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Sherwood, Teac or Sony as I'm not sure they really have products any more in the same league as the AVP (as far as audio quality goes).

What is the maximum price you would be willing to pay – LIST/MSRP US dollar (not how much you would have to pay at street price – discounts may vary).

$3,000

$4,000

$5,000

$6,000

$7,000

$8,000

$9,000

$10,000 or more

What brands would you would consider – if the unit had all of the features you wanted e.g. HDMI 2.0.

Anthem

Bryston

Classé

DataSat

Denon

Krell

Lexicon

Marantz

Mark Levinson

Oppo

Parasound

Rotel

Trinnov

What features are most important to you

12 bit color

4K/ 36bit / 4:4:4 /24p

4K/ 36bit/ 4:2:2 /60p

7.2 channels

802.11 AC wireless

11.2 channels

Atmos surround

Audyssey room correction

Auro 3D surround

Control Link Connector

Denonlink

Detachable Power Cord

Dirac room correction

Displayport In

Displayport out

DTS:X surround

Finish - all black

Finish - all silver

Finish - "champagne"

Gigabit Ethernet

HD Radio

HDCP 2.2 ability to pass copy protection

HDMI 2.0 connectivity

Knobs - volume knob like the AVP

Optical In

Optical Out

OSD - for volume, menus, tweaking.

RCA In

RCA Out

Rec 2020 color

Remote - IR

Remote - radio

Remote - Selectable IR/Radio

Remote - touchscreen

Remote - tactile with physical buttons

Remote - just throw in a Harmony One or comparable remote.

Satellite Radio

Screen - mini LCD (or OLED) full color screen for adjustments without an external screen

S-video (in or out)

Switched Power

True Balanced for all channels

USB 3.0 (I doubt we'll see USB 3.1 anytime soon in AV equipment)

Video processing - de-interlacing/scaling, noise reduction.

Web configuration (AVP Kind of had this but not really)

XT32 room correction

Zones - multiple zones - e.g. Room 1, Room 2...

Last edited by boe; 02-19-2015 at 10:59 PM.
post #26594 of 26607 Old 02-19-2015, 06:43 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
So if you have any helpful changes please let me know before I post this tomorrow.
One comment - please use a different color scheme as those of us who use the dark forum skin will have a hard time reading the message as the text was showing up as a dark gray on a black background.
cinema mad likes this.
post #26595 of 26607 Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
not really sure of the purpose of this poll ?

not really much in options in anything ahead of the denon is there ?

the marantz isn't out as yet and isn't in finished spec anyways…no hdcp 2.2, no DTS 3D format. the auro 3D support seems a bit up in the air …needing a paid update and even then not sure how applicable it is vs other formats.

when comes to things like premium silver and audyssey capability there in you have limited yourself to basically denon. as even marantz doesn't do premium silver in their pre pro and audyssey is pretty much now only fully implemented by D&M group, perhaps nad, with their master line of av pre pro. but thats expensive and seems a little limited in capability. onkyo/integra have dropped their audyssey support.

that leaves yamaha, anthem, classe and the like all of which are no where in the current tech realm in support of 3D audio let alone 4k UHD capability.

maybe am missing something…theres not much out there in the pre pros…unless waiting …in which case might as well keep waiting as theres as much chance of another avp coming out..but then some of us are bleeding edgers aren't we…having bought the avp on release

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #26596 of 26607 Old 02-21-2015, 06:27 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

No one currently has anything out that can truly replace the AVP for quality and features - the question is what brands would you consider when they come out with their next units. There are only 10 choices max per poll so here are the threads.

Questions for people upgrading from the Denon AVP - Features

Questions for people upgrading from the Denon AVP - Price

Questions for people upgrading from the Denon AVP - BRAND

Last edited by boe; 02-21-2015 at 06:33 AM.
post #26597 of 26607 Old 02-22-2015, 12:26 AM

Liked: 13
Question Help with Denon AVP-A1HDA 3D>>POA-A1HD link problem

Hi guys,

I sold my AVP yesterday to a person who has a POA-A1HD. Connecting and adjusting was fine from the AVP to the POA. There was sound from all channels while adjusting sound levels.

The problem:

As i have no experience with the Poa link, i activated the poa link in the avp and there was response to the POA, checking connection and it was fine, except there is no sound from any channel. I switched the link off again in the AVP, and did notice the blue connection light on the POA was still activated. I had to switch off the link to the POA with the back switch of the unit and it was fine again.

His situation:

He uses a S-VHS cable as a link cable ( i have my doubts on this cable)

He bridged all channels with 5 speakers

I told him to check if the cable is connected to the correct input on the poa as there are two. It was too dark to check it last night.

What else can he do, or what can there be wrong?

Thanks in advance!!
post #26598 of 26607 Old 02-22-2015, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by denon a1xva View Post
Hi guys,

I sold my AVP yesterday to a person who has a POA-A1HD. Connecting and adjusting was fine from the AVP to the POA. There was sound from all channels while adjusting sound levels.

The problem:

As i have no experience with the Poa link, i activated the poa link in the avp and there was response to the POA, checking connection and it was fine, except there is no sound from any channel. I switched the link off again in the AVP, and did notice the blue connection light on the POA was still activated. I had to switch off the link to the POA with the back switch of the unit and it was fine again.

His situation:

I told him to check if the cable is connected to the correct input on the poa as there are two. It was too dark to check it last night.

Thanks in advance!!

Sure you put the output on XLR default it goes to RCA (don't ask me why), not sure about the cable. Worse case just put it in manual mode and do it by hand. There is a small button on the POA todo this and how to set the jumpers is explained on the manual.

Daniel.
denon a1xva likes this.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #26599 of 26607 Old 02-22-2015, 07:31 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

The problem:

His situation:

Thanks in advance!!

Do you have any decent cables - even just a couple for testing purposes you can use for testing?
denon a1xva likes this.
post #26600 of 26607 Old 02-22-2015, 09:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Hi guys,

The problem:

His situation:

Thanks in advance!!
A standard S-VHS cable should work fine. The POA also should have come with the appropriate cable. And Danielo is spot on - when using the link, the switches on the POA get overridden by the configuration defined in the AVP's setup. I don't remember exactly where it is in the menu structure, but there's a section where you configure all the POA link settings, including balanced/RCA, bridge mode, etc. Given that the setup is a one time thing, I think the link feature provides minimal value, so if you can't figure it out just use a 12V trigger cable to turn the amp on and off and use the manual settings on the back of the POA.
denon a1xva likes this.
post #26601 of 26607 Old 02-22-2015, 03:22 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks a lot for the input guys! Problem solved and the poa link works just fine now
post #26602 of 26607 Old 02-24-2015, 12:29 PM

Just got my Denon blu ray player and now trying to use denon link 4 found it in menu of the a1udci but can not find it in my avp
found one that says denon poa link ? but none that actually say denon link any help to where i can find it.
i am assuming since i have the 3d edition that it should be somewhere in the menu just not looking in right area
any help would be appreciated.
post #26603 of 26607 Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgarcia View Post
Just got my Denon blu ray player and now trying to use denon link 4 found it in menu of the a1udci but can not find it in my avp
found one that says denon poa link ? but none that actually say denon link any help to where i can find it.
i am assuming since i have the 3d edition that it should be somewhere in the menu just not looking in right area
any help would be appreciated.
Try Source / Select / Assign / Digital

It is there
post #26604 of 26607 Old 02-24-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post
Try Source / Select / Assign / Digital

It is there
thanks i found it.
post #26605 of 26607 Unread Yesterday, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello,

This is a poll really designed for people looking to replace their AVP and get something of similar acoustic quality but with modern features the AVP will not be able to provide. There are things in this list I wouldn't really care about but that is the point of the poll - to find out what the majority wants. I'm happy to adjust things I have wrong, add more items etc. So if you have any helpful changes please let me know before I post this tomorrow.

This is what I have so far thanks to the PMs I got. I'm not sure if I should throw in brands like Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Sherwood, Teac or Sony as I'm not sure they really have products any more in the same league as the AVP (as far as audio quality goes).

What is the maximum price you would be willing to pay ? LIST/MSRP US dollar (not how much you would have to pay at street price ? discounts may vary).

$3,000

$4,000

$5,000

$6,000

$7,000

$8,000

$9,000

$10,000 or more

What brands would you would consider ? if the unit had all of the features you wanted e.g. HDMI 2.0.

Anthem

Bryston

Class?

DataSat

Denon

Krell

Lexicon

Marantz

Mark Levinson

Oppo

Parasound

Rotel

Trinnov

What features are most important to you

12 bit color

4K/ 36bit / 4:4:4 /24p

4K/ 36bit/ 4:2:2 /60p

7.2 channels

802.11 AC wireless

11.2 channels

Atmos surround

Audyssey room correction

Auro 3D surround

Control Link Connector

Denonlink

Detachable Power Cord

Dirac room correction

Displayport In

Displayport out

DTS:X surround

Finish - all black

Finish - all silver

Finish - "champagne"

Gigabit Ethernet

HD Radio

HDCP 2.2 ability to pass copy protection

HDMI 2.0 connectivity

Knobs - volume knob like the AVP

Optical In

Optical Out

OSD - for volume, menus, tweaking.

RCA In

RCA Out

Rec 2020 color

Remote - IR

Remote - radio

Remote - Selectable IR/Radio

Remote - touchscreen

Remote - tactile with physical buttons

Remote - just throw in a Harmony One or comparable remote.

Satellite Radio

Screen - mini LCD (or OLED) full color screen for adjustments without an external screen

S-video (in or out)

Switched Power

True Balanced for all channels

USB 3.0 (I doubt we'll see USB 3.1 anytime soon in AV equipment)

Video processing - de-interlacing/scaling, noise reduction.

Web configuration (AVP Kind of had this but not really)

XT32 room correction

Zones - multiple zones - e.g. Room 1, Room 2...
Interesting that the Emotiva XMC is not mentioned...in giving a very hard look to it because of Dirac room correction.
post #26606 of 26607 Unread Yesterday, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post
Interesting that the Emotiva XMC is not mentioned...in giving a very hard look to it because of Dirac room correction.
One big reason the Emotiva may not be mentioned here, is as far as everything else it offers is the fact that it is seriously outdated, and lacking in many new features. The only real bright spot for it is that it has the Dirac room correction feature. However Dirac can be added to any pre-pro and also avr's that have pre-outs. So Emotiva is not the only option for having Dirac.
post #26607 of 26607 Unread Today, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post
One big reason the Emotiva may not be mentioned here, is as far as everything else it offers is the fact that it is seriously outdated, and lacking in many new features. The only real bright spot for it is that it has the Dirac room correction feature. However Dirac can be added to any pre-pro and also avr's that have pre-outs. So Emotiva is not the only option for having Dirac.
Interesting...That's exactly why I'm still thorn.
I may end up just repairing my AVP at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page