Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 889 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #26641 of 26659 Old 04-29-2015, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Firmware Update - Connection Failed

I recently have been unable to check for firmware updates on the AVP. When I attempt to check for an update, the system responds "connection failed". Have others experienced this?

My internet connection seems fine otherwise (Network info shows an IP address, I am able to stream music through internet radio).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26642 of 26659 Old 04-29-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Res View Post
I recently have been unable to check for firmware updates on the AVP. When I attempt to check for an update, the system responds "connection failed". Have others experienced this?

My internet connection seems fine otherwise (Network info shows an IP address, I am able to stream music through internet radio).
I had this problem a few months ago when I did a check. It worked OK if I just asked for an update.

You might also want to turn the little button off and then back on again to reset the connection. Wait about 5 minutes after turning it back on before you ask for the update.

Chris
post #26643 of 26659 Old 04-29-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:

There was a period of several days where the server was apparently not available. It seems to be back. I don't think it was a user-end problem.
post #26644 of 26659 Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVMN View Post
There was a period of several days where the server was apparently not available. It seems to be back. I don't think it was a user-end problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesculus View Post
I had this problem a few months ago when I did a check. It worked OK if I just asked for an update.

You might also want to turn the little button off and then back on again to reset the connection. Wait about 5 minutes after turning it back on before you ask for the update.

I did try turning off the little button, and waited about 10 minutes, ... but this did not help.
I just tried asking for the update by selected start, but it again responded with "connection failed".
Thanks for the replies. Based on these two replies, it appears quite possible that the problem is at Denon's end, and not a malfunction of my unit. Are there any others that cannot access the update feature at this point?
post #26645 of 26659 Old 04-29-2015, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did you check if your Ethernet cable is not in the Denon link port?

Quote:
I did try turning off the little button, and waited about 10 minutes, ... but this did not help.
I just tried asking for the update by selected start, but it again responded with "connection failed".
Thanks for the replies. Based on these two replies, it appears quite possible that the problem is at Denon's end, and not a malfunction of my unit. Are there any others that cannot access the update feature at this point?
alebonau likes this.
post #26646 of 26659 Old 04-30-2015, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by denon a1xva View Post
Did you check if your Ethernet cable is not in the Denon link port?
if I recall, I have done this...

but he does say shows and IP address and is streaming, so must be connected to the network.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #26647 of 26659 Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 AM

Try to reset the processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
if I recall, I have done this...

but he does say shows and IP address and is streaming, so must be connected to the network.
post #26648 of 26659 Old 04-30-2015, 08:55 PM

Smile Update difficulty resolved

Quote:

Problem solved
I turned the little button off and waited a full day before turning back on. This time the unit now properly connects to the update and reports that the version is the latest. Thanks to all!
post #26649 of 26659 Old 04-30-2015, 10:38 PM

Nice work!

Quote:
Problem solved
I turned the little button off and waited a full day before turning back on. This time the unit now properly connects to the update and reports that the version is the latest. Thanks to all!
post #26650 of 26659 Old 05-07-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Had a scare today. Turned my rig on and all I got was a bluescreen and no sound. Thought my PJ might have croaked until I tried other inputs and got the same result. Reset the AVP with the small button and upon restart, all is well.

This has never happened before but my AVP is now 5 years old - my AVP may have just had its 1st senior moment.
post #26651 of 26659 Old 05-09-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi Willy, glad it was just a reboot-type problem and that you are back up and running.

I make it a habit of cold booting my AVP once a week, as that seems to ensure the cleanest most reliable performance. I hear a bit of digital grunge in high-rez audio tracks after a week or two of not rebooting. Play the same track right after the re-boot and the 'grunge' is gone.
post #26652 of 26659 Old 05-14-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
Hi Willy, glad it was just a reboot-type problem and that you are back up and running.

I make it a habit of cold booting my AVP once a week, as that seems to ensure the cleanest most reliable performance. I hear a bit of digital grunge in high-rez audio tracks after a week or two of not rebooting. Play the same track right after the re-boot and the 'grunge' is gone.
Rebooting, as toggling the little button?

I usually have to do this because of a hangup with the networking api. Gosh I wish they would fix that.

Chris
post #26653 of 26659 Old 05-14-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I usually have to do this because of a hangup with the networking api. Gosh I wish they would fix that.

Chris
post #26654 of 26659 Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Yes. Hasn't happen again so far. Probably just grunge as JonFo pointed out. I am constantly switching displays (plasma and PJ) and numerous input sources and I am using the HDMI CEC feature so I suspect it was just an HDMI sync-up error.
post #26655 of 26659 Old 05-22-2015, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cooling question--I have the AVP in a cabinet with good top clearance, a vent underneath, the front door open, and two heat-triggered fans at the upper rear. I would like to add additional cooling--would the best location be additional at the rear, or mounting something to pull upwards from the top of the unit, or.....??
post #26656 of 26659 Old 05-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I would say the later. A single fan 120mm , reved down , to pull upwards from the top of the unit.

Limits established to be exceeded.
post #26657 of 26659 Old 06-09-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

TCP IP POST for Volume UP/DOWN

After years of suffering through the shakiness of the RS232/IP API via port 23 on the AVP I am moving on. I am trying to get the undocumented IP interface via POST and port 80 working for my iRule remote.

The current undocumented, but discovered, Denon API for the 2013 models does not work for the AVP but using a browser I can capture many of the commands by trapping the web GUI commands.

Where I am running into problems are the volume up/down commands. I can get discrete volume settings to work just fine, but not a general up/down. The web GUI does not have a volume up/down.

Anybody have a clue what the POST commands are for volume up and down? I tried substituting the > and < characters and it just forces the volume to -80.

Chris
post #26658 of 26659 Old 06-29-2015, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well dang, my turn for a problem with the AVP just surfaced this weekend. And during a demo of the system no less (naturally, that's when stuff decides to fail, right? ).

My Digital Audio board is developing the 'lose a channel when hot' problem, in my case the Surround B right. I debugged carefully and even used the dynamic output remapping to ensure it was not the analog out, so it is centered on the digital processing board.

I know it's heat related, as on Friday I forgot to shut down the AVP before going to bed, and by Saturday morning, the B surround right was dead. Shutting down on Saturday night, I re-tested first thing Sunday am, and the channel was back. After 4 hrs, the channel was gone.

And I've been very, very careful about heat, heck it's in an equipment room with a dedicated 1 ton AC that keeps it at a constant 70F, and even have multiple small fans pulling air away from the unit for good measure.

So a question for those of you who have had the Digital Audio Board repaired: What components were replaced, how long did it take the techs to do that and what class of repair center did you take it to?

@cinema mad , I recall you had an issue with the Digital Audio bard and diagnosed (and repaired?) it yourself. Any input here?

Anyone have any tips on opening the unit and pulling the board? I'm not schlepping the entire 65 pound beast down to the shop.

Last edited by JonFo; 06-29-2015 at 04:22 AM.
post #26659 of 26659 Old 06-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Well dang, my turn for a problem with the AVP just surfaced this weekend. And during a demo of the system no less (naturally, that's when stuff decides to fail, right? ).

My Digital Audio board is developing the 'lose a channel when hot' problem, in my case the Surround B right. I debugged carefully and even used the dynamic output remapping to ensure it was not the analog out, so it is centered on the digital processing board.

I know it's heat related, as on Friday I forgot to shut down the AVP before going to bed, and by Saturday morning, the B surround right was dead. Shutting down on Saturday night, I re-tested first thing Sunday am, and the channel was back. After 4 hrs, the channel was gone.

And I've been very, very careful about heat, heck it's in an equipment room with a dedicated 1 ton AC that keeps it at a constant 70F, and even have multiple small fans pulling air away from the unit for good measure.

So a question for those of you who have had the Digital Audio Board repaired: What components were replaced, how long did it take the techs to do that and what class of repair center did you take it to?

@cinema mad , I recall you had an issue with the Digital Audio bard and diagnosed (and repaired?) it yourself. Any input here?

Anyone have any tips on opening the unit and pulling the board? I'm not schlepping the entire 65 pound beast down to the shop.
'I also have a similar problem, but unfortunately can not help you in taking the board out. In my case, it is also a temperature problem but only occurs when I cold start the AVP and vanishes after some time and only on stereo sources.
This occurred after the 3 D update of the AVP.

I remember somebody some pages before dismantled its AVP completely and also showed pictures.

Hope you can solve your problem soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page