Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 895 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 84Likes
post #26821 of 26843 Unread 09-12-2016, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My Avp and Poa are still going great guns I thought about the mx160 but opting for a new projector instead.I will get more value from a new projector at the moment as my projector currently only dishes out 1080i at best.The Avp is a true beast and has the build to back it up and that's what I like.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26822 of 26843 Unread 09-13-2016, 07:09 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I love the sound of McIntosh but I have a weird hang up with them. For some reason I see one and I think that came from the 1970s or 80s it must be using antiquated tech. That isn't so but their faceplate just make's me think I probably saw it in my youth. I think it would fit in with my old technics turntable or perhaps next to a depth finder on a boat. That being said their stuff sounds great.
grassy likes this.
post #26823 of 26843 Unread 09-13-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I have my MX160 connected to my POA. Sounds great! Haven't decided what to do with my AVP (3D version). Probably sell, but not sure what it is worth these days.... SJ
grassy likes this.
post #26824 of 26843 Unread 09-13-2016, 10:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
I have my MX160 connected to my POA. Sounds great! Haven't decided what to do with my AVP (3D version). Probably sell, but not sure what it is worth these days.... SJ
Used AVP's aren't worth much at this point; probably $1100-1200 if it has the "3D" hardware upgrade.
post #26825 of 26843 Unread 09-13-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
I love the sound of McIntosh but I have a weird hang up with them. For some reason I see one and I think that came from the 1970s or 80s it must be using antiquated tech. That isn't so but their faceplate just make's me think I probably saw it in my youth. I think it would fit in with my old technics turntable or perhaps next to a depth finder on a boat. That being said their stuff sounds great.
Yea very retro looking,but I bet they kick some major butt.

post #26826 of 26843 Unread 09-13-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Congrats SJHT, I have never listened to one, but I have no doubt that they would perform well.

post #26827 of 26843 Unread 09-16-2016, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Haven't been in here for awhile.......anyway, my AVP/POA combo has recently developed a slight problem. When I first fire it up, the volume is barely audible....I then have to turn it up all the way and then progressively turn it down as it warms up.....oh jeeze, now what?

Thanks!

John

I used to be a dyslexic-agnostic-insomniac but I got tired of lying awake in bed at night wondering if there really was a dog.
post #26828 of 26843 Unread 09-16-2016, 08:01 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

You are going to have to bring it to a repair shop. They'll either replace the board if they can get the part (which I doubt) or replace the capacitors. I don't know if they will have bubbled tops like the Mitsubishi's did. Perhaps someone who has gotten theirs repairs can chime in? I keep putting it off on mine. I may do it myself as I did it for my TV however there was an online web page where someone showed a picture of exactly which ones needed replacing so there was no guessing. I called my repair place and he estimated $1000. So I'm debating about just waiting for something better to come along.
iolair likes this.
post #26829 of 26843 Unread 09-16-2016, 08:09 AM

Ok boe, I'll hang around....thanks man!

John

I used to be a dyslexic-agnostic-insomniac but I got tired of lying awake in bed at night wondering if there really was a dog.
post #26830 of 26843 Unread 09-19-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Used AVP's aren't worth much at this point; probably $1100-1200 if it has the "3D" hardware upgrade.
Wow, the bottom really fell out of this market.

Question for you AVP owners: Is anyone using a C51K or C61K DIRECTV box with your AVP? I am a new DIRECTV customer, and having fits with the C51K/C61K box experiencing audio dropouts typically associated with a black screen. I have done extensive troubleshooting, and have definitely narrowed it down to the box. In fact the wireless C41K works perfectly, no dropouts.

I read that other owners have similar issues, but it's not 100% widespread. Which leads me to think that there is some HDMI compatibility with with the C51K/C61K and the AVP.
post #26831 of 26843 Unread 09-19-2016, 07:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post
Wow, the bottom really fell out of this market.
Given the age of the hardware and that it doesn't have a few of the latest features (Atmos and DTS:X), it's sort of disappointing, but not at all surprising. The age is a problem because components are more likely to start failing and it will be more difficult to find replacements for some items. I've gotten so much enjoyment out of mine that I don't feel it owes me anything, which is rare for this type of component these days. I still haven't found something I really feel comfortable replacing it with either. I know that quite a few former AVP owners have switched to the Marantz 8802 and are quite happy with the switch, but it just doesn't feel "right" to me for some reason. Since I don't have a 4K display yet and most likely won't be able to add speakers for Atmos / DTS:X, the AVP still meets my needs for now, I've got the luxury of waiting until the right product comes along, as long as my AVP continues to work well.
post #26832 of 26843 Unread 09-19-2016, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Given the age of the hardware and that it doesn't have a few of the latest features (Atmos and DTS:X), it's sort of disappointing, but not at all surprising. The age is a problem because components are more likely to start failing and it will be more difficult to find replacements for some items. I've gotten so much enjoyment out of mine that I don't feel it owes me anything, which is rare for this type of component these days. I still haven't found something I really feel comfortable replacing it with either. I know that quite a few former AVP owners have switched to the Marantz 8802 and are quite happy with the switch, but it just doesn't feel "right" to me for some reason. Since I don't have a 4K display yet and most likely won't be able to add speakers for Atmos / DTS:X, the AVP still meets my needs for now, I've got the luxury of waiting until the right product comes along, as long as my AVP continues to work well.
Yup, I'm in the same boat. Actually I saw the 8802 for the first time "hands on" last weekend at CEDIA. It looked and felt better IRL than I was expecting. Even though it's up to date with features, I'd still feel a little bit weird buying one now because it's been in the market for so long. And I do understand a replacement is still a year+ away. Now that we know 4K boxes/players have support for separate audio output, so the AVP is not totally useless. I sat through a few good 7.1.x demos at CEDIA, but nothing that makes me "gotta have it right now", especially with the added speaker and retrofit/cutting/wiring headache to consider.

BUT, if this audio dropout thing doesn't get a resolution, I may have to seriously consider a replacement for the AVP, assuming it's part of the problem. It is driving me nuts to have the sound cut out every 30 seconds.

Last edited by Sam S; 09-19-2016 at 08:14 AM.
post #26833 of 26843 Unread 09-19-2016, 09:08 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Yup, I'm in the same boat. Actually I saw the 8802 for the first time "hands on" last weekend at CEDIA. It looked and felt better IRL than I was expecting. Even though it's up to date with features, I'd still feel a little bit weird buying one now because it's been in the market for so long. And I do understand a replacement is still a year+ away. Now that we know 4K boxes/players have support for separate audio output, so the AVP is not totally useless. I sat through a few good 7.1.x demos at CEDIA, but nothing that makes me "gotta have it right now", especially with the added speaker and retrofit/cutting/wiring headache to consider.
To be honest, the only pre-pro that really tempts me right now is a Theta Casablanca IV. But that's a pretty pricey option, even if a good discount is possible.

Quote:
BUT, if this audio dropout thing doesn't get a resolution, I may have to seriously consider a replacement for the AVP, assuming it's part of the problem. It is driving me nuts to have the sound cut out every 30 seconds.
Depending on exactly what the issue is, a HDFury Integral or Linker might be able to resolve the problem and allow you to keep your AVP going for a while longer. It might be worth posting a description of your issue in the Integral thread and see if they can help you - there are a few reps from HDFury who are very active in the thread.
post #26834 of 26843 Unread 09-19-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Depending on exactly what the issue is, a HDFury Integral or Linker might be able to resolve the problem and allow you to keep your AVP going for a while longer. It might be worth posting a description of your issue in the Integral thread and see if they can help you - there are a few reps from HDFury who are very active in the thread.
Actually, you got me thinking. I just got this little box from AVProConnect, and it has several EDID presets. I'm wondering which ones I should try?
post #26835 of 26843 Unread 09-19-2016, 10:42 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Actually, you got me thinking. I just got this little box from AVProConnect, and it has several EDID presets. I'm wondering which ones I should try?
None of the presets seem appropriate for going through the AVP as the 1080P options only support 2 channel audio. Depending on how the user EDID option works, that might do the trick. The HDFury products would give you far more options to work with. What's your connection path? Are you splitting the HDMI to send 4K to your display and 1080P to the AVP?
post #26836 of 26843 Unread 09-19-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
None of the presets seem appropriate for going through the AVP as the 1080P options only support 2 channel audio. Depending on how the user EDID option works, that might do the trick. The HDFury products would give you far more options to work with. What's your connection path? Are you splitting the HDMI to send 4K to your display and 1080P to the AVP?
Yeah, I don't see an obvious option for 6ch w/1080p, unless the labeled designations are inaccurate.

I'm not doing anything weird or with 4K with the AVP. Just straight DTV box into HDMI 3 (I think), then to my 1080p display. Nothing split. Wireless C41W box works fine. I figured someone (!) would be using a C51K with the AVP?

The HDFury Integral is definitely worth exploring, thanks. I don't like the $250 price, but that is cheaper than replacing the AVP, ha. I guess fooling with EDID settings is my one real shot at success.

Last edited by Sam S; 09-19-2016 at 11:24 AM.
post #26837 of 26843 Unread 09-23-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I may do it myself as I did it for my TV however there was an online web page where someone showed a picture of exactly which ones needed replacing so there was no guessing.

Does anyone have the address of the web page for the self repair?

Thanks!

John

post #26838 of 26843 Unread 09-23-2016, 02:39 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And I do understand a replacement is still a year+ away.
Are you meaning an AVP2 or 9903?
post #26839 of 26843 Unread 09-23-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you meaning an AVP2 or 9903?
8803, or whatever they call the replacement for the 8802A.
post #26840 of 26843 Unread 09-24-2016, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Moved on to an 8802A

Hi everyone, just a quick update and to chime in on the discussion about AVP replacements.

I finally replaced the AVP with a Marantz AV8802A, as I want to get into Atmos and really wanted to use my Audyssey Pro kit with XT32 (I never upgraded my AVP). So my AVP is about to go up for sale.

So far, I'm quite happy with the audio quality of the 8802A, I've only listened to a few songs without any Audyssey, to try and gauge intrinsic performance, but the SQ is so different without the room correction, any comparison is seriously flawed.

After running a couple of Audyssey Pro calibrations, the best mic pattern (a fairly tight one around the MLP) turns in a distinctly better performance than my AVP. So either it's the XT32, the good Pro cal, the intrinsic performance of the Marantz, or a combination, who knows. Bottom line, no regrets.

The unit I really wanted was the Trinnov Altitude32 (it won or powered multiple CEDIA award-winning venues), But at $24K+ for the config I wanted, the Marantz was a steal, thanks to the great price I got right here on AVS. Someday I'll get that or some descendant of it. Harman is OEM'ing the Altitude to power it's top-end JBL Synthesis systems, so I'm hoping for a licensing deal that would bring that tech into a more accessible price point ($5K to $10K).

All in all, the seven years I got out of my AVP were very pleasurable, it's a really great unit.
boe and grassy like this.
post #26841 of 26843 Unread 09-24-2016, 07:09 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
Hi everyone, just a quick update and to chime in on the discussion about AVP replacements.

I finally replaced the AVP with a Marantz AV8802A, as I want to get into Atmos and really wanted to use my Audyssey Pro kit with XT32 (I never upgraded my AVP). So my AVP is about to go up for sale.

So far, I'm quite happy with the audio quality of the 8802A, I've only listened to a few songs without any Audyssey, to try and gauge intrinsic performance, but the SQ is so different without the room correction, any comparison is seriously flawed.

After running a couple of Audyssey Pro calibrations, the best mic pattern (a fairly tight one around the MLP) turns in a distinctly better performance than my AVP. So either it's the XT32, the good Pro cal, the intrinsic performance of the Marantz, or a combination, who knows. Bottom line, no regrets.

The unit I really wanted was the Trinnov Altitude32 (it won or powered multiple CEDIA award-winning venues), But at $24K+ for the config I wanted, the Marantz was a steal, thanks to the great price I got right here on AVS. Someday I'll get that or some descendant of it. Harman is OEM'ing the Altitude to power it's top-end JBL Synthesis systems, so I'm hoping for a licensing deal that would bring that tech into a more accessible price point ($5K to $10K).

All in all, the seven years I got out of my AVP were very pleasurable, it's a really great unit.

Thanks for the review - I'm having trouble letting mine go gentle into that good night. This might moving to the acceptance stage a little easier.
post #26842 of 26843 Unread 09-25-2016, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

bye good to hear happy wiht the move. as someone who was running an xt32 avp and moved to the marantz I wouldn't suggest the move unless needing 3D audio 4k capability.

maybe there will be a marantz 9903 in the next couple of years ... that might be the true avp replacement if denon themselves dont plan to do their next AVP
grassy likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #26843 of 26843 Unread Today, 06:47 PM

I have a question regarding bi wiring my speakers to the POA. I have 2 lots off cable running from my speakers to my amp. I have the high and low separated at the speaker end with the speaker connection brackets taken off, but at the POA amp end i have tied the speaker wire together and plugged them into the "A" terminals.I get no phase errors on calibration but instead of binding the speaker wires together shouldn't they be separated at the amp end and the High frequency be plugged into the A and the low B. That's what it shows in the manual but some say it is ok to bind them together and plug them into the A labeled terminals like i have done.For true separation shouldn't i be using A and B terminals as shown in the manual. Is there any difference and will tying the wires at the amp end degrade the sound any.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers