Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 899 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #26941 of 26950 Old 10-10-2017, 05:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Don't let vaulted ceilings hold you back from Atmos/DTS:X. It didn't for this guy ....

The "Official" 2014 Denon Atmos+XT32 Model Thread (X4100/X5200/X7200)

What others have done is mounted the ceiling speakers to extension poles like the ones use to extend fans down from multi level ceilings.
The issue is more along the lines of restrictions from the live-in land lord (aka my brother)... He's been pretty understanding, but doesn't seem to be amenable to any option I've pitched so far. But I can't complain too much as the rent is cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26942 of 26950 Old 10-10-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 992
I've just had main board replaced on my denon and so they are very much still supported. as a bonus mine got fully checked out and got a clean bill of health and a warranty to boot !

atmos would be THE only reason i would suggest to dump your denons. and as a note atmos isn't for everyone. i know the effort i had to go to, to put the holes in the ceiling and run cables. it was no walk in the park and its not going to be an easy road for everyone.

re 4k. it is the very reason players have dual outs that mean king pin flagships like the donjon hear dont HAVE to get the boot just because of 4k uhd.

re avp vs marantz 8802.

the marantz retails at $6890
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/produ...iABEgL6tPD_BwE

personally i dont think its a patch on the denon in PURE audio quality terms. the marantz simply isn't the pure fully balanced design the denon is. the marantz simply doesn't have the analog stages the massive discrete dac implementation.

as I've posted since the day i got the maranta it is a light next to the denon i have. I know someone with both going back to the denon. the marantz simply lacks the depth of dynamics the heft of the denon.

if denon or marantz brought out a flagship unit which is due 2018 id happily swap from the marantz to it.

re things like capacitors, I've not heard of denon flagships which popping caps and such. they use quite high quality ones in flagships and i know many running theirs still and this is previous generations get. id suggest you'd be looking at 20-25 years before caps needing changing. and even then its something done. Idly chatting to a service guy he was telling me with my vintage musical fidelity gear. only thing goes with them 20+ years is caps and they are easily done too. its a straight swap no big deal
Spizz likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #26943 of 26950 Old 10-10-2017, 03:39 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
I've just had main board replaced on my denon and so they are very much still supported.
As I stated in my previous post, we have seen reports here that SOME of the boards are no longer available. That doesn't mean that ALL of the boards are no longer available.

post #26944 of 26950 Old 10-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I've just had main board replaced on my denon and so they are very much still supported. as a bonus mine got fully checked out and got a clean bill of health and a warranty to boot !
^^^

My digital input board has failed for the third time and unfortunately they are no loner available so I cannot use DL4. A small price to pay for using this outstanding amplifier, one that will need to be pried out of my cold dead arms.
post #26945 of 26950 Old 10-11-2017, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digione View Post
^^^

My digital input board has failed for the third time and unfortunately they are no loner available so I cannot use DL4. A small price to pay for using this outstanding amplifier, one that will need to be pried out of my cold dead arms.
id suggest if you have had to replace something for the third time your repairer maybe never actually got to bottom of route cause of whats actually failed to be causing the fault in he first place ! that said as someone who is in the reliability game, I feel there are always misconceptions that things especially electronics fail with age. its simply not the case. things like electronics can fail anytime. its just over the years there is greater exposure of some conditions causing failure. so things quite possibly do eventually fail at some time in their life but not related as such with age.

I think also with regards, we are little different in this country perhaps. quite possibly because of our statutory warranty which goes beyond the manufacturers and there is unwritten exception for instance that things can be fixed some 7 years past sold ! especially wiht something like the avp which wasnt chicken feed when new at some $15k+ new ! perp they have a tock pile of parts I dont know. but i do know with mine for instance I was told they have the parts to fix these units. keeping in mind we have one of the best denon techs in this country and also there is expectation of warranty once things are fixed so quite a bit of effort is gone in to fix things and fix for good. they dont want things going back and forth or failing multiple times

I totally agree on the dead cold hands and would suggest anyone hang onto theres and there is good reason too. if i didnt already have a true fully balanced 2ch pre amp and be running atmos...

post #26946 of 26950 Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 78
There is known issue with the Digital Audio bard, and that is the small caps on it get cooked and fail over time. The hotter the unit is allowed to get, the sooner they fail. In my case, after 6 years of 25Hrs a week usage in an air-conditioned room (dedicated 1-ton AC set for 70F in a 15x5' equipment room) and 8" clearance above the AVP, my rear channels started to go out after 30 minutes or so of being on. The local authorized repair shop could not fix it, but then they did not replace caps. Board level repairs are performed only at United Radio (or something like that) in NJ. So even though there are no more spare audio boards (in the US), you could get your existing board repaired with a cap swap (assuming none of the DSP chips or other supporting chips fried).

BTW- I have a spare digital audio board if someone is interested. I had bought it as a NOS from a dealer closing, but the repair shop said it didn't work when they tried it in mine. I suspect the repair shop did not get it set up right, as the board looked pristine.

So units where the board fails more than once would not be a surprise to me, and I bet they had thermal management issues in the install. There is a series of posts in this thread of one user installing a fan inside the chassis to blow air horizontally across the digital and video boards. Bet if that had been stock, we'd not see these failures this soon.

A shame, as otherwise, this is a beast built to last a decade or more. But it's the newer tech bits that usually bite vendors.

Jonathan

My System
post #26947 of 26950 Old 10-11-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've not had this audio board issue, so there must be something more to this, not discounting its existence by all means failures can happen with things I guess. I always ran mine with a fan(silent pc) on top drawing heat up assisting convection to draw heat out the top, keeping cool innards. easily done too with the power outlet on the back of the unit and the usb port either being handy for this kind of thing.

all that said there really is nothing else out there like the AVP right now. fully balanced beast it is ! if dont need atmos (which is only thing really missing as an audio processor) then keep using as long as can. maybe one day denon and marantz will indeed bring out a replacement flagship. I think the av880x is really a more a of a lite type model filling in the space in the interim.

with likes of classe dropping by the way side and no one else really doing am mighty flagship D&M denon and marantz could really own this space I reckon and they have the best chance of any brand right now of puling it off as i said before if they brought out a true flagship tomorrow id happily buy into it. and am sure am not alone.

post #26948 of 26950 Old 10-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
id suggest if you have had to replace something for the third time .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
There is known issue with the Digital Audio board....
Thanks for the input. The problem is something to do with the digital path/silicon on the board as it is ONLY DL4 that stops being recognized, it is NOT a DL4 setup sequence problem. In both of the last two identical failures I took it to Denon HQ here in NJ as they are just down the road from me and I was very friendly with a senior manager until he was let go. It was repaired on both occasions by Panurgy OEM in NJ, Denons main repair center, and checked out by the engineers at HQ afterward and all was fine. They never tried to find out the route cause of the problem as Panurgy and Denon HQ don't do board level repairs. Fortunately on both occasions I was not charged. The problem now is that no more new boards exists and I am reluctant to send it in to fix what is currently just an annoying problem.

Each time, the problem seemed to occur shortly after a power outage, even though all my rack hardware is protected by a pure sinewave UPS system and none of my other three Denon players that use DL3 have had a problem. I installed the UPS after the first board failure so its not the UPS causing the problem.

I will plod along with it as is, I can live without DL4, with DL3 working just fine. I will be interested to see if I can hear the jitter reduction in the Oppo 205 when I eventually buy one .
post #26949 of 26950 Old 10-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've not had this audio board issue, so there must be something more to this, not discounting its existence by all means failures can happen with things I guess. I always ran mine with a fan(silent pc) on top drawing heat up assisting convection to draw heat out the top, keeping cool innards. easily done too with the power outlet on the back of the unit and the usb port either being handy for this kind of thing.

all that said there really is nothing else out there like the AVP right now. fully balanced beast it is ! if dont need atmos (which is only thing really missing as an audio processor) then keep using as long as can. maybe one day denon and marantz will indeed bring out a replacement flagship. I think the av880x is really a more a of a lite type model filling in the space in the interim.

with likes of classe dropping by the way side and no one else really doing am mighty flagship D&M denon and marantz could really own this space I reckon and they have the best chance of any brand right now of puling it off as i said before if they brought out a true flagship tomorrow id happily buy into it. and am sure am not alone.
Like JonFo my rack room has its own HVAC system, the AVP has plenty of space around it and never gets more than just a little warm, even if its been on for several hours. So I truly can't think what is causing the problem unless it is some form of cabling loop with the Denon A100 HDMI connection in conjunction with its DL connection.

So like you I am in no rush for immersive sound and I don't see much out there to replace the AVP that would sound any better. So I am staying with the devil I know, and like, until it finally gives up on me.

Hopefully it will outlast me!
alebonau likes this.
post #26950 of 26950 Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
...That said, I've been absolutely thrilled with mine and am still using it every day.
I can second that, one of the best HT purchases I ever made!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page