Official Denon AVP-A1HD/AVP-A1HDCI and POA-A1HD/POA-A1HDCI owners thread. - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #241 of 26371 Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

Seth,

Very nice write-up. Thanks for taking the time.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

Great Write up Seth! It's going to help a lot of people interested in this unit.

Thanks guys.

This way people will know from an owners perspective what it's like in real world use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 26371 Old 03-21-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I am happy to hear that.
Interesting enough, I have the same Sony CD player. I am trying to simplify things, that's the reason I bought the AVP in the first place, and I just can't that XA20ES go... love that machine.

Wow that's too cool that we both have the same CD player. Yes, the XA20ES is an awesome CD player! From reviews I have read, the sonics on this player are near identical to that of the XA7ES. If I ever get an XA7ES, it will be for its balanced XLR outs. But I totally love my XA20ES!

Seth

post #243 of 26371 Old 03-21-2008, 08:44 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

China!?! I thought that these preamps would continue (at least for the near term) to be made in Japan. I wonder if all the Denon AVP's are now going to be coming out of China? I mean I have nothing against Chinese made products, but personally feel better if it says "Made in Japan". That's too weird.

no thats not right.The high end units will be and always be made in Japan. Check the back of the unit.Denon over here in Australia or it's distrubutors are still going behind saying that there hand built by order in Japan.Mind you coming from China Aint bad either especially if there still using quality parts and are quality controlled also.But I agree Seth, the term "Made In Japan" does give that reassurance that you have a top of the line unit.

Frank

post #244 of 26371 Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 PM
CIH USER

Can anyone answer what the sub mix is? DenonJeff said you can run two subs simutaneously on LFE. Is that true?

Frank

post #245 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

no thats not right.The high end units will be and always be made in Japan. Check the back of the unit.Denon over here in Australia or it's distrubutors are still going behind saying that there hand built by order in Japan.Mind you coming from China Aint bad either especially if there still using quality parts and are quality controlled also.But I agree Seth, the term "Made In Japan" does give that reassurance that you have a top of the line unit.

Great to hear from you Franin! Thanks for dropping in, it's always nice to have you visit.

Yes mine says "Made In Japan" as does everyone else who got theirs from the initial batch. But if orologio's was made in China, I wonder if others out there are too? But I guess you're right, as long as the same quality control is there, if it is from China I guess that's ok.

So is your PM setup now so that you can receive PM's? What ever happened with the AVP thing? Did you contact Carlton Audio? Or are you going ahead with the AVC?

Seth

post #246 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Great to hear from you Franin! Thanks for dropping in, it's always nice to have you visit.

Yes mine says "Made In Japan" as does everyone else who got theirs from the initial batch. But if orologio's was made in China, I wonder if others out there are too? But I guess you're right, as long as the same quality control is there, if it is from China I guess that's ok.

So is your PM setup now so that you can receive PM's? What ever happened with the AVP thing? Did you contact Carlton Audio? Or are you going ahead with the AVC?

Seth

PM finally fixed.

Frank

post #247 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 02:17 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Seth

Seth sent you a PM

Frank

post #248 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone used the Audyssey MultiEQ yet? I have never had experience with Audyssey yet and wanted to get some feedback...a couple of questions though.

1) Once Audyssey has been run, can you make manual or "tweak" the results of it? If so, how?
2) I know that THX recommends 80Hz crossover for all speakers. So, if you run the Room EQ and it sets your front stage to "Large" (which it did with my speakers - Paradigm Signature S8's and C5) - what happens when you watch something in THX with Room EQ "on" - does that defeat the purpose of watching something in TXH?

I personally enjoy watching movies from cable and most DVD's on Dolby PLIIx - better than THX given what the EQ did to my soundfield IMHO. Some feedback and answers would be very helpful. Thanks everyone!

BTW, mine says "made in Japan."
post #249 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddimberio View Post

Has anyone used the Audyssey MultiEQ yet? I have never had experience with Audyssey yet and wanted to get some feedback...a couple of questions though.

1) Once Audyssey has been run, can you make manual or "tweak" the results of it? If so, how?
2) I know that THX recommends 80Hz crossover for all speakers. So, if you run the Room EQ and it sets your front stage to "Large" (which it did with my speakers - Paradigm Signature S8's and C5) - what happens when you watch something in THX with Room EQ "on" - does that defeat the purpose of watching something in TXH?

I personally enjoy watching movies from cable and most DVD's on Dolby PLIIx - better than THX given what the EQ did to my soundfield IMHO. Some feedback and answers would be very helpful. Thanks everyone!

BTW, mine says "made in Japan."

Yes you can go back in your setup and change whatever you like.If you prefer Dolby PLIIx by all means use it.I don't use Thx at all either, some people like it some people don't.Thx is really designed for all speakers to be run at 80hz, thats it's purpose.It's know also that THX works better with audyssey flat.Audyssey is not exactly 100% sometime it needs to be run a few times to get it right especially if you not happy with the sound.

Frank

post #250 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why...Doesn't your AVP's sound satisfy you enough? Could you share with us your impressions on the AVP sound?

Of course it sounds great, but Denon put those balanced stereo inputs on the AVP for a reason, and that it extremely high quality DACs inside (or outside in the case of an external DAC) a CD player. By placing the AVP into pure-direct mode on the XLR inputs I should think that you will achive the best possible stereo CD playback possible - always a sore point with processors and amps that "do it all".

Perhaps I am asking too much, and what I really want is the Denon DCD-SA1 and then another unit for everything else. But if they could capture the essence of what the DCD-SA1 is about and integrate it into a universal player it would be perfect for me.
post #251 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, here it comes the “made in mess” thing… I must apologize for my previous post. Please disregard my previous and hurried message where I stated that the box was labeled made in china. In fact only that outer double box is (my dealer kindly used it for further protection), but the inside is totally label ‘made in Japan’. Sorry for the wrong info. It was a quick brainless statement. I was in a hurry and just gave a quick look to the box before I left home for good and the last impression was … well I won’t repeat it….I’ll be more careful next time.
post #252 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 09:49 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Ok, here it comes the made in mess thing I must apologize for my previous post. Please disregard my previous and hurried message where I stated that the box was labeled made in china. In fact only that outer double box is (my dealer kindly used it for further protection), but the inside is totally label made in Japan'. Sorry for the wrong info. It was a quick brainless statement. I was in a hurry and just gave a quick look to the box before I left home for good and the last impression was well I won't repeat it.I'll be more careful next time.

Your forgiven but you might have to write a letter of apolgy to the Japanese

Frank

post #253 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well now that I've actually been using my AVP-A1HDCI for about two weeks, I can now give my impressions of it's sound quality.

The thing with this pre/pro, and any other pre/pro for that matter, is that it needs time to sound its best. Straight out of the box with only 2 or 3 days will not give an accurate description of what this engineering marvel can offer. While I will honestly say that I was impressed with what I heard the first time I fired it up, now after two weeks the sound is getting even better. And I'm sure that after two to three months of use, this Denon pre/pro will fully reveal its sonic splendor.

Ok, even though I've heard this a million times about all kinds of audio gear, I have to admit have never understood it. I'm not disagreeing, just saying I've never heard an explanation. It's always just stated as a given. So I'm tired of feeling dumb on this! Can anyone explain what happens to gear in those first weeks/months of use that results in this audible change?

Comment: My AVP, combined with my new Anthem amps, already sound better than anything I've ever owned. If it's only getting better...geez, does this mean I've reached the end of the endless search for perfection? What do I do now?
post #254 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

OK, I have gotten the Denon AVP setup pretty well, and think I can give some decent feedback as to how the Denon AVP sounds, and can give some comparisions to the Proceed AVP2+6 (one of the best non-HDMI prepros), and to the Halcro (one of the best sounding HDMI capable prepros). I hope this will be helpful even to those that have not heard the AVP2+6 or the Halcro.

Disclaimer: The following is of course my opinions, based on my room, my supporting equipment, my listening preferences, and how well I have the sytem setup at this time. Some people know I had a lot of problems as a Halcro owner, but I have always given credit where due. The Halcro is an amazing sounding prepro if you can get one that works. MY SQ comments will be unbiased.

Short summary of the AVP2+6 SQ:
The AVP2+6 is several years old now, but has amazing SQ. These units are very accurate, and have incredidle clarity. You seem to hear notes, between the notes. By that I mean you can differentiate between many notes that on other systems, you may confuse as only being 2-3 notes. The sound is full, and the tones are rich. The tonality of the AVP2+6 is very accurate.

The unit isn't very dynamic though, and some have called it plain. I think this is more of a time domain thing. Some will say the average dynamics lend itself very well to music, but some people like a little more punch for movies.

Short summary of the Halcro SQ:
The Halcro is a relatively new unit, which has HDMI. Many have found it to be a buggy unit, while others get it to work. The SQ is excellent though for those who get a working unit. Out of the box, it has very good clarity and is very dynamic. The example I like to use is that if you are watching a movie, and a window is broken into 1,000 pieces, you will hear 1,000 pieces hit the ground. Not just a bunch of glass.

The Halcro is reasonably accurate tone-wise, and is incredibly accurate as far as the time domain goes. This accuracy makes the Halcro have a 3-D like sound. Therefore, the Halcro is excellent for movies, and very good for music.

OK, now that you have a reference point for the comments to follow, on to the Denon AVP.

The Halcro of course has virtually every connection currently available in the audio and video world, and nearly every feature. The question is how does the Denon AVP stack up to other AVPs? The short answer, is that it does very well. I found it to be in the same league as the AVP2+6 and the Halcro. The good news is that everything works, including the HDMI. I have tried it with 5 different sources so far, and they all work perfectly.

The Denon AVP can be configured in 2 main ways, with numerous variations. These are using Audyssey, and not using Audyssey (which I will shorten to "Aud" for the rest of this review). I personally am using a hybrid right now. I have copied the Aud EQ setting to the Manual EQ, and am using the Manual EQ instead of the Aud. This means I have turned off the time-domain adjustments. For this review, assume I am using this configuration unless I specify otherwise.

The Denon AVP has very good clarity, and very tonality. It sounds similar to the AVP2+6 tonality wise, but is a more dynamic. The soundstage is spacious and well defined. Personally, I prefer the Denon AVP over the AVP2+6 for my 50/50 Music/Movie HT. When I didn't use any EQ, the Denon AVP and AVP2+6 sound similar.

The Denon AVP can also sound similar to the Halcro. When I tested the Aud, the time domain was greatly improved and the sound became more defined, much like the Halcro and the 1,000 pieces of glass analogy. When you combine that with the tonal accuracy of the Denon, I would say the Denen and Halcro are pretty evenly matched SQ wise for Movies, but I would give a slight edge to the Denon for Music.

BUT, to get the Aud working well, you will have to run it several times. I had tried the Aud in the 3806, and it sounded too digital. I could never get it sounding better than just copying the Aud setting to the Manual EQ. The Aud in the Denon AVP is better. On my first run, I got it very close. The overly digital sound seems to be gone. I simply had too much high midrange coming in. I think this is because I was lazy and ran it witht the mic on a pillow, instead of modifying my camera tripod to hold the mic.

Overall, I find the SQ of the Denon AVP to be very configurable. You can set things up to match many preference style. The unit is clear, tonaly accurate, and fairly dynamic. IF you take the time to run (and maybe re-run) the Aud, you can get a very dynamic, detailed sound.

I did try the Denon AVP 2-CH inputs. I compared the Denon Link coming from my Denon 3930 universal player, and it's Analog output. The Analog sounded incredibly clear, so I think the Denon AVPs 2-CH capablilty must be pretty good. The Analog sounded a little harsh compared to the Denon Link setup, but the soundstage was better witht the Analog. I think these two things are tied more to the 3930DACs, not the 2-CH of the AVP. I will let others weigh in on this though, as I don't have in-depth 2-CH experience.

I hope this review helps those considering this unit.

Regards,
Darrell
post #255 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Nice review Darrell!

What about the bass quality on the 3 units? I always felt the Halcro had a cleaner bass attack on movies compared to the Proceed.

Sounds like a good unit though. Have you tried Die Hard 4 in DTS-HD MA yet?

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #256 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

OK, I have gotten the Denon AVP setup pretty well, and think I can give some decent feedback as to how the Denon AVP sounds...

Regards,
Darrell

Good review, Darrell. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Anybody who was looking for detailed reviews two days after we got these units hasn't seen one yet! It offers so many options, in terms of features and tweakability, that it just takes a lot of time to gradually go through and try, let alone critically test, everything. You're way ahead of me, but so far, I absolutely love this thing!
post #257 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
OK, we have heard from several new owners of the Denon AVP; how about the POA? Anyone care to give us their impressions?
post #258 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, here it comes the made in mess thing I must apologize for my previous post. Please disregard my previous and hurried message where I stated that the box was labeled made in china. In fact only that outer double box is (my dealer kindly used it for further protection), but the inside is totally label made in Japan'. Sorry for the wrong info. It was a quick brainless statement. I was in a hurry and just gave a quick look to the box before I left home for good and the last impression was well I won't repeat it.I'll be more careful next time.

Hey it's cool. Thank you for letting us know and clearing any possible confusion about this. So now we know, the Denon AVP's are definitely "Made In Japan"!.

post #259 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I have gotten the Denon AVP setup pretty well, and think I can give some decent feedback as to how the Denon AVP sounds, and can give some comparisions to the Proceed AVP2+6 (one of the best non-HDMI prepros), and to the Halcro (one of the best sounding HDMI capable prepros). I hope this will be helpful even to those that have not heard the AVP2+6 or the Halcro.

Disclaimer: The following is of course my opinions, based on my room, my supporting equipment, my listening preferences, and how well I have the sytem setup at this time. Some people know I had a lot of problems as a Halcro owner, but I have always given credit where due. The Halcro is an amazing sounding prepro if you can get one that works. MY SQ comments will be unbiased.

Short summary of the AVP2+6 SQ:
The AVP2+6 is several years old now, but has amazing SQ. These units are very accurate, and have incredidle clarity. You seem to hear notes, between the notes. By that I mean you can differentiate between many notes that on other systems, you may confuse as only being 2-3 notes. The sound is full, and the tones are rich. The tonality of the AVP2+6 is very accurate.

The unit isn't very dynamic though, and some have called it plain. I think this is more of a time domain thing. Some will say the average dynamics lend itself very well to music, but some people like a little more punch for movies.

Short summary of the Halcro SQ:
The Halcro is a relatively new unit, which has HDMI. Many have found it to be a buggy unit, while others get it to work. The SQ is excellent though for those who get a working unit. Out of the box, it has very good clarity and is very dynamic. The example I like to use is that if you are watching a movie, and a window is broken into 1,000 pieces, you will hear 1,000 pieces hit the ground. Not just a bunch of glass.

The Halcro is reasonably accurate tone-wise, and is incredibly accurate as far as the time domain goes. This accuracy makes the Halcro have a 3-D like sound. Therefore, the Halcro is excellent for movies, and very good for music.

OK, now that you have a reference point for the comments to follow, on to the Denon AVP.

The Halcro of course has virtually every connection currently available in the audio and video world, and nearly every feature. The question is how does the Denon AVP stack up to other AVPs? The short answer, is that it does very well. I found it to be in the same league as the AVP2+6 and the Halcro. The good news is that everything works, including the HDMI. I have tried it with 5 different sources so far, and they all work perfectly.

The Denon AVP can be configured in 2 main ways, with numerous variations. These are using Audyssey, and not using Audyssey (which I will shorten to "Aud" for the rest of this review). I personally am using a hybrid right now. I have copied the Aud EQ setting to the Manual EQ, and am using the Manual EQ instead of the Aud. This means I have turned off the time-domain adjustments. For this review, assume I am using this configuration unless I specify otherwise.

The Denon AVP has very good clarity, and very tonality. It sounds similar to the AVP2+6 tonality wise, but is a more dynamic. The soundstage is spacious and well defined. Personally, I prefer the Denon AVP over the AVP2+6 for my 50/50 Music/Movie HT. When I didn't use any EQ, the Denon AVP and AVP2+6 sound similar.

The Denon AVP can also sound similar to the Halcro. When I tested the Aud, the time domain was greatly improved and the sound became more defined, much like the Halcro and the 1,000 pieces of glass analogy. When you combine that with the tonal accuracy of the Denon, I would say the Denen and Halcro are pretty evenly matched SQ wise for Movies, but I would give a slight edge to the Denon for Music.

BUT, to get the Aud working well, you will have to run it several times. I had tried the Aud in the 3806, and it sounded too digital. I could never get it sounding better than just copying the Aud setting to the Manual EQ. The Aud in the Denon AVP is better. On my first run, I got it very close. The overly digital sound seems to be gone. I simply had too much high midrange coming in. I think this is because I was lazy and ran it witht the mic on a pillow, instead of modifying my camera tripod to hold the mic.

Overall, I find the SQ of the Denon AVP to be very configurable. You can set things up to match many preference style. The unit is clear, tonaly accurate, and fairly dynamic. IF you take the time to run (and maybe re-run) the Aud, you can get a very dynamic, detailed sound.

I did try the Denon AVP 2-CH inputs. I compared the Denon Link coming from my Denon 3930 universal player, and it's Analog output. The Analog sounded incredibly clear, so I think the Denon AVPs 2-CH capablilty must be pretty good. The Analog sounded a little harsh compared to the Denon Link setup, but the soundstage was better witht the Analog. I think these two things are tied more to the 3930DACs, not the 2-CH of the AVP. I will let others weigh in on this though, as I don't have in-depth 2-CH experience.

I hope this review helps those considering this unit.

Regards,
Darrell

Excellent review Darrell!! Glad to see you touched on the Audyssey processing. I left it out of my review because I haven't delved into that as much as you have, and wouldn't have given an accurate review for that. Thanks!

Your review will definitely help many others curious about the "real world" performance of this fine pre/pro, and how it compares to other high end pre/pro's.

Seth

post #260 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

OK, we have heard from several new owners of the Denon AVP; how about the POA? Anyone care to give us their impressions?

Yes, I have the POA. Spot 2 mistakes...

post #261 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

You are only using 4 channels of sound?

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #262 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Nice review Darrell!

What about the bass quality on the 3 units? I always felt the Halcro had a cleaner bass attack on movies compared to the Proceed.

Sounds like a good unit though. Have you tried Die Hard 4 in DTS-HD MA yet?

MJ,

I agree with you on the bass out of the box re: the AVP2+6 and the Halcro. the Halcro's is more dynamic anyway. I use/used a SMS-1 sub EQ when testing all 3 systems, so I can't really speak to the "cleaness" o fhte units since I get a flat response on all 3. I did get good Bass out of the AVP2+6 though after tweaking.

The Denon AVP out of the box is probably in the middle of the two when it comes to Bass dynamics, but after I ran the Audyssey, the bass dynamics pretty much matched the Halcro.

I use the Celtec Woman DVD as my bass test because it has numerous types of bass drum and Cello and you can really differentiate the differnt drums with the Denon AVP. It has most of the dynamics of the Halcro and very good tonality.

I like my Bass as much as the next guy , and the Denon AVP is not lacking.

Yes, I own then new Die Hard Bluray and I listened to it the first night I had my DTS-MA capable player. It sounds terrific, and incedibly detailed. Of course the car flipping in the tunnel, and the fighter jet scenes are totally cool.

If one has a working Halcro, I wouldn't bother switching. I think the audio SQ is similar, and which would win, would depend on the listener. But if you are shopping for a Prepro, I would pick the Denon hands down.

With the Denon, you are 10x more likely to get a working unit. Firmware updates come out from Denon when needed and in reasonalbe time. The video scaler in the Denon is better. The Denon has more features (i.e. can play music off your network). Denon's HDMI works very well. Even people that like the Halcro will not claim that the HDMI works well. You may hear things like "I got it to work".

I'll stop there while I can still stop my Halcro rant.

Darrell
post #263 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Seth,

Thanks for the kind words Seth.

People that read my review should not judge the Audyssey in the AVP by my limited work so far.

I can tell it is better than what I used in the 3806, and it can really do some amazing things to improve the detail we hear, and clean up room nodes.

Sometimes, the result can sound harsh at some frequencies, but I think if one reads through the Audyssey thread one can get a good Aud setup they like. It make take a few runs to do it.

In the next day or two, I may save my current settings and try to run it again using my tripod. This way, I can use whichever result I like better. It is cool we can now save off the setting of the AVP to a Laptop/PC.

Darrell

Quote:

Excellent review Darrell!! Glad to see you touched on the Audyssey processing. I left it out of my review because I haven't delved into that as much as you have, and wouldn't have given an accurate review for that. Thanks!

Your review will definitely help many others curious about the "real world" performance of this fine pre/pro, and how it compares to other high end pre/pro's.

Seth

post #264 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for taking the time to post Darrell, I appreciate your comments.

Jim
post #265 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post

Yes, I have the POA. Spot 2 mistakes...

You set the Prepro on the hot amp?
post #266 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

What I find amazing is GS has an AVP2+6, Halcro and AVP all in the house at the same time to demo. Way to go GoodSonics! You are my hero.

post #267 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post

What I find amazing is GS has an AVP2+6, Halcro and AVP all in the house at the same time to demo. Way to go GoodSonics! You are my hero.

Eric,

I don't have room for all that. I did have the AVP2+6 while I had the Halcro, so I did compare those side by side.

Right now, I just have the Denon AVP. No, this isn't scientific, but I did get to know both units well. In fact, I should have been a paid tester for Halcro for all the time I spent testing units and changes. Take my comparisions as you will though.

Darrell
post #268 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Ok, even though I've heard this a million times about all kinds of audio gear, I have to admit have never understood it. I'm not disagreeing, just saying I've never heard an explanation. It's always just stated as a given. So I'm tired of feeling dumb on this! Can anyone explain what happens to gear in those first weeks/months of use that results in this audible change?

Comment: My AVP, combined with my new Anthem amps, already sound better than anything I've ever owned. If it's only getting better...geez, does this mean I've reached the end of the endless search for perfection? What do I do now?

Electronic gear when brand new (right out of the box), have likely have only been tested at the factory to see if all functionality and circuitry are working well. But once tested at the factory for quality assurance, it then gets boxed up and sent to dealers. I'm not sure as to exactly how it does what it does, but I can honestly say that the sound (especially in higher end gear that has many separate power transformers and processing chips) does indeed sound different after many months of use. I'm sure that this has something to do with allowing enough time for the circuit boards, DAC, DSP processing chips, power transformers, etc. to work together.

Everyone that I have talked with that owns high end gear have mirrored my thoughts on this.

Now I will say that you can't get a poorly designed product (low end receiver for example) that sounds bad out of the box and expect it to sound great after 4 months of use. If it started out sound bad, chances are it's not going to improve much. But if a well designed product (like the Denon AVP), sounds great out of the box, it most likely will sound better and smoother over the course of many months of use.

Seth

post #269 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You set the Prepro on the hot amp?

My exact thoughts when I saw the initial photo.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #270 of 26371 Old 03-22-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:

~SNIP~

Regards,
Darrell

Thanks GoodSonics, a very enjoyable read.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avp A1hdci Ultra Reference A V Network Streaming Preamplifier , Denon , Component Preamplifiers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page