Onkyo TX-SR605, 705, 805 Listening Mode's EXPLAINED...Purposes and Benefits - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 03-17-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Onkyo TX-SR805 and am still just a little confused about what each specificListening Mode is supposed to do, what the benefits of using each one would be, and WHEN its best to use each one.

I use a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250 box via digital coax, a computer via RCA, an ipod via RCA, a PS3 via HDMI, and a Toshiba HD-A20 via HDMI

The Mode's i've seen available are:

Pro Logic II Movie
Pro Logic II Music
Pro Logic II Game
Neo: 6 Cinema
Neo: 6 Music
Neural THX 5.1
Theater-Dimensional
Pure Audio
Direct
Stereo
Mono
Multich
THX Cinema
Mono Movie
Orchestra
Unplugged

Im just not sure why someone would pick one over the other in certain situations. I tend to use THX Cinema for most, but i don't even have a good reason for doing that.

If people want to go through and say what they use, andy why. Or even better, if someone actually knows the purpose and benefits of any of the settings, i'd love to learn more about them.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd like to see an answer to the question you pose as well. I know how to access all the listening modes one by one on my 805, but can a particular input be assigned all the modes on the list so that they can then be available on the front panel display and scrolled through to then set what sounds best?
post #3 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 01:32 AM

I will only receive mine tomorrow but have studied the manual quite a bit. It seems that which listening modes are available depends on the type of hardware input (e.g. HDMI or Toslink) and on the type of signal. The default is that you can on any input scroll through all the available sound options for the currently playing signal type. I think this is just what you want to do. However, it is possible to actually configure a special set-up for a specific input. For example you could say that when a DD 5.1 signal comes in over HDMI it always gets THX treatment on top of it. Or you could specify that when a 2ch signal comes in over Toslink it always gets Pure Audio mode.

Till
post #4 of 24 Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The listening modes available vary from Onkyo receiver to receiver. Some support THX, some don't, and those that do support different levels of THX. The listening modes are also dependent on the signal type (DD, DTS, multichannel pcm, TrueHD etc.), and your speaker configuration. That's why it's important to configure your speakers correctly. For instance PLIIx should only be available if you have 7.1. If you have 5.1 and correctly disable the surround back speakers, PLIIx disappears as an available choice.

For ease of understanding, I divide the listening modes up into a few categories. The first category includes all the listening modes with a name the same as the signal type it's intended to support. Call these the standard modes. Each of the following signal types has a standard mode: Dolby Digital, Dolby EX, Dolby Digital+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS 96/24, DTS ES Discrete, DTS ES Matrix, DTS HD High Resolution, DTS HD MA and multichannel PCM.

You can select a standard listening mode if and only if you're receiving the associated signal type. For instance, you can only select the TrueHD listening mode if you're receiving a TrueHD signal. You can only select the DTS listening mode if you're receiving a DTS signal. If you can't select the TrueHD listening mode, then you're not receiving a TrueHD signal, no matter what you selected on your player. Clearly it's important to know what kind of signal you're receiving when working with listening modes. It's important to know both the encoding such as DD, DTS etc., and also the number of channels present. Is it DD 2.0 or DD 5.1? Is it TrueHD 5.1 or TrueHD 7.1. On Onkyo's, you determine the signal type by pressing the Display button one or more times. Learn how to tell what signal type you're receiving. It will answer a lot of questions for you.

When you select a standard mode, you're not telling your receiver how to decode the signal. It does that automatically as all receivers do. So what does it mean to select the Dolby Digital listening mode when receiving a Dolby Digital signal? It means, do everything in a standard manner according to all the other sound settings you've set. In other words:
  • Apply bass management
  • Apply tone control settings
  • Apply equalization
  • Don't increase or descrease the number of channels present in the signal
The second category includes all the modes that matrix incoming signals. When you select a matrixing mode, you're implicitly selecting the standard mode for the signal type you're receiving then applying the matrixing on top of that. Matrixing outputs sound to more speakers than the number of channels that were included in the original signal. Typically matrixing modes are used to convert 2 channel input signals to 5 channel or 7 channel output, 5 channel input signals to 7 channel outputs, or 5 channel inputs to 6 channel outputs. The matrixing modes are PLII, PLIIx, Neural THX, DTS Neo:6 and Dolby EX. THX Select 2 and THX Ultra 2 also perform matrixing and are discussed in the THX section.

You should experiment with all the matrixing modes, but the most commonly used and recommended matrixing modes are Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Pro Logic IIx - PLII and PLIIx. PLII was invented as an upgrade to Dolby Pro Logic which was the original home theater sound standard. Early home theater systems included multiple speakers, but prior to the invention of Dolby Digital had to make do with 2 channel sources. Dolby invented a way of embedding surround information in a 2 channel source that could be extracted using the Dolby Surround processor in a home theater receiver. Most VHS tapes were encoded with Dolby Surround as were many broadcast television shows. PLII is a more recent and very much improved version of Pro Logic. PLIIx includes everything that PLII does and extends the capabilities to matrix to 7 channels instead of just 5.

PLII/x can synthesize surround information from any source, but you won't get much surround information from movie and television sources that aren't encoded with Dolby Surround technology. Note that PLII and PLIIx have separate modes optimized for movies and music. You can try either mode for either type of material but Dolby optimized each for the intended source.

The third category are the Onkyo DSP modes like TV Logic, Orchestra, Unplugged etc. AFAIK, these are legacy modes that predated the creation of all the digital signals and corresponding standard modes that are now available. You may find that you like them, but they were probably included primarily for users upgrading from older Onkyo receivers. The most popular Onkyo DSP mode is All Ch Stereo which is often used with music sources in a party environment. It provides approximately equal volume from all the speakers. The sound is not realistic, but for a lot of people it's still a guilty pleasure.

The fourth category are the THX modes including THX Cinema, THX Select 2, and THX Ultra2. All of these modes start with standard mode processing then apply a set of THX invented signal processing algorithms that THX claims makes the sound more in line with what the movie producers wanted you to hear. These techniques include Re-EQ, timbre matching and adaptive decorrelation. You can read about what they do on THX's website. THX Select 2 and THX Ultra 2 combine the THX effects with 5 channel to 7 channel matrixing. If the original signal wasn't already 5 channel, the THX modes will use either PLII or Neo:6 to matrix it to 5 channel before applying the other processing.

The fifth category consists of the Direct and Pure Audio listening modes. These modes disable much of the digital processing that occurs when you use one of the standard modes. Bass management is turned off, which means any crossovers you set in the Speaker Config are ignored. The only sound sent to the subwoofer is the LFE (.1) channel. For stereo sources like CD's, your subwoofer will not be used at all. The Direct and Pure Audio modes also disable the equalizer settings set by Audyssey and any tone control settings. There may be other changes as well, but you get the idea. Direct and Pure Audio attempt to play what's on the source with very little processing. These 2 modes are more popular for use with music than with movies. Try these modes with movies, but unless you have full range speakers, especially your front 3, you'll notice a lot less bass than you will with one of the standard or matrixing modes. That is, as long as your front speakers aren't set to Full Range.

The final mode, in a category of its own, is Stereo. Stereo can be thought of as the standard mode for 2 channel sources. However it also has the ability to take any multichannel source and downmix it to 2 channels.
rafa1478 likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 PM

Thanks kplex! That answered a lot of my questions. So my understanding is that Pure Audio and Direct are modes best not used unless our speakers are big and full range and our listening environment is idealized?
post #6 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 04:21 PM

Great explanation kplex, thanks. Assuming you have a 7.1 speaker system, why would one use PLIIx instead of one of the THX modes? I have read before that "many" prefer/use the PLIIx, and I always assumed it was for the matrixing to a 7 speaker setup. But if the THX modes also matrix, then why wouldn't people use that if the receiver has it?
post #7 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post

Thanks kplex! That answered a lot of my questions. So my understanding is that Pure Audio and Direct are modes best not used unless our speakers are big and full range and our listening environment is idealized?

That's my opinion. Most people understand that as part of setting up your receiver, you set crossovers for each of the speakers that redirect low bass to your subwoofer. The vague descriptions of Pure Audio and Direct in the manual sound very promising:

audio from the input source is output directly with minimal processing, providing high-fidelity reproduction.

What's not to like about that? They neglect to mention that minimal processing throws away many of the features that motivated you to buy your receiver in the first place like bass redirection and audyssey equalization.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-10-2008, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by av noob View Post

Great explanation kplex, thanks. Assuming you have a 7.1 speaker system, why would one use PLIIx instead of one of the THX modes? I have read before that "many" prefer/use the PLIIx, and I always assumed it was for the matrixing to a 7 speaker setup. But if the THX modes also matrix, then why wouldn't people use that if the receiver has it?

A lot of people do use the THX modes and prefer them over PLIIx, but they add a lot more processing. The description in the manual of Direct Mode is a good way of describing the difference between PLIIx and THX Ultra 2 or THX Select 2. PLIIx does minimal processing - it just matrixes the rear channels. The THX modes do that and a whole lot more. Try them both and see which one you like better.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-08-2009, 04:39 PM

I have an ONKYO TX-605, a Sony Blu-Ray player & a new Panasonic 42" Plasma and 5.1 surround sound speakers.

I currently have it set up this way.... HDMI cable from Blu-Ray Player to TV. Optical Cable from TV to Reciever. My questions:

1) Is this the best way to send the sound signal when watching DVDs or should I set up the other digital optical out from the DVD player to the reciever?
2) What "listening modes" are best on the ONKYO for: Blu-Ray Movies, regular DVDs, and TV?

Thanks for any advise!
post #10 of 24 Old 02-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

A lot of people do use the THX modes and prefer them over PLIIx, but they add a lot more processing. The description in the manual of Direct Mode is a good way of describing the difference between PLIIx and THX Ultra 2 or THX Select 2. PLIIx does minimal processing - it just matrixes the rear channels. The THX modes do that and a whole lot more. Try them both and see which one you like better.

You should add that you can use PIIx can be used with THX or without it. Since the OP has an 805 you should press the THX button until you see the PIIx icon come up. You can also use Neo6 with THX as well. I happen to prefer PIIx with THX than PIIx on it's own.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Who likes THX Cinema mode?
I find it when it is engaged it softens the treble and limits the bass compared to dolby digital.
post #12 of 24 Old 12-14-2013, 10:45 PM

usefully info,Since the OP has an 805 you should press the THX button until you see the PIIx icon come up. You can also use Neo6 with THX as well. I happen to prefer PIIx with THX than PIIx on it's own.thanks

ec5F

post #13 of 24 Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Listening Modes not working

I have an odd problem with my 705. The listening modes do not seem to be working anymore!

I purchased the unit back in '07 so am very familiar with it by now, but a few days ago, dialog seems to be coming from ONLY the center speaker and VERY muffled. Music is heard from the left and right with not dialog. I've played with speakers settings but nothing seems to fix the dialog problem.

Actually, the only way I can listen to TV or a DVD is thru "All Ch" which I have never used before. This problem is very annoying.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by MegaMember; 06-18-2014 at 07:55 PM.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-21-2014, 01:00 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
I have an odd problem with my 705. The listening modes do not seem to be working anymore!

I purchased the unit back in '07 so am very familiar with it by now, but a few days ago, dialog seems to be coming from ONLY the center speaker and VERY muffled. Music is heard from the left and right with not dialog. I've played with speakers settings but nothing seems to fix the dialog problem.

Actually, the only way I can listen to TV or a DVD is thru "All Ch" which I have never used before. This problem is very annoying.

Any thoughts?

Did you make sure that your'e not in A+B or B mode? If you enable the secondary stereo channels, you will lose the ability to use multi-channel modes.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-19-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressingonalways View Post
Did you make sure that your'e not in A+B or B mode? If you enable the secondary stereo channels, you will lose the ability to use multi-channel modes.
What is A+B or B mode?
post #16 of 24 Old 08-02-2014, 11:28 PM

I had to replace my center speaker. Seems like dialogue was a whisper through the center channel, which was what I was using the most.

Replacing the center speaker fixed all my problems! How many out there still have their original 705 working well like me? I think it's been an extremely robust and rugged AVR; the only things I've done were updates and fixing the DSP bomb. My family and I have put approx. ~15,000 hours on it since cira 2008.

What listening presets do 705 users prefer? I have IIx set, but will be trying THX next.
post #17 of 24 Old 08-02-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Do any of you "classic" 605/705/805 owners have any pics of your gleamin' Onkyos in action to share?

post #18 of 24 Old 08-03-2014, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked: 571
For Movies:

- Blu-rays (mainly, or DVD occasionally): Bitstream, and I add Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode on top of soundtracks that only have 5.1 channels.
- For older films (20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, & 70s): I use the main original audio soundtrack, as the director intended.
- For fims from the 80s and 90s: I add THX Cinema Ultra2 Plus on top of the Lossless (Bitstream) audio track.

For Music:

- SACDs (Multichannel and Stereo): Analog Multichannel Pure Audio, or DSD Direct through HDMI, or if Stereo; Analog Stereo or Digital Stereo mode (HDMI).
- DVD Audios (Multich. & Stereo): As above.
- CDs: Analog Stereo mode, or digital coaxial Stereo mode, or Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode.
- HD R.a.d.i.o: As above.
- TT (albums): Analog Stereo. ...I don't spin much those big 12" black petroleum discs though (gives me a headache; from the fumes).

And I engaged Audyssey MultEQ XT32 95%+ @ all times. ...Except when in Pure Audio mode.

* All the other audio modes I simply don't care for.

<<>> Mine is a little different than the 805, but simply deduct 32 from the XT, and 2 Plus from the Ultra.
Other than that all the other audio modes I use you have on the 805.

** My main source(s) are BD players, CD players, HD R.a.d.i.o.
post #19 of 24 Old 08-03-2014, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Bob...

Is that you?

post #20 of 24 Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes it's me; do we know each other?
post #21 of 24 Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Really? The man "formerly known as 'Lordoftherings'"?

No way...

Really?

post #22 of 24 Old 08-03-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Post number four (4) is an excellent post.

P.S. I just realized that the first original post is from 2008.
It's ok, I was under the belief (from the last few recent posts) that it was a recent thread (from someone who recently acquired the old classic Onkyo T-Rex 805).

<<>> Today (coming soon this fall, this winter, next year, early), Dolby Atmos.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-03-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Postcript
post #23 of 24 Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed; kplex, amongst others here, knows his Onkyo stuff (as I do and you do, as well)...

On my 605, I have my Listening Modes set up as such:

Analog/PCM: Last Valid
Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital
DTS: DTS
Digital Format 2 Channel: PLII Movie
Digital Format Mono: Mono Movie
Multichannel PCM: Multich
Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD
DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD MSTR

I don't use Onkyo's "proprietary listening modes" for anything (the ones such as All Channel Stereo, Mono, etc. save for Mono Movie on Dolby Digital mono soundtracks and sometimes All Channel Stereo for demo purposes)...

post #24 of 24 Old 08-03-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
For Movies:

- Blu-rays (mainly, or DVD occasionally): Bitstream, and I add Dolby Pro Logic IIx Movie mode on top of soundtracks that only have 5.1 channels.
- For older films (20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, & 70s): I use the main original audio soundtrack, as the director intended.
- For fims from the 80s and 90s: I add THX Cinema Ultra2 Plus on top of the Lossless (Bitstream) audio track.

For Music:

- SACDs (Multichannel and Stereo): Analog Multichannel Pure Audio, or DSD Direct through HDMI, or if Stereo; Analog Stereo or Digital Stereo mode (HDMI).
- DVD Audios (Multich. & Stereo): As above.
- CDs: Analog Stereo mode, or digital coaxial Stereo mode, or Dolby Pro Logic II Music mode.
- HD R.a.d.i.o: As above.
- TT (albums): Analog Stereo. ...I don't spin much those big 12" black petroleum discs though (gives me a headache; from the fumes).

And I engaged Audyssey MultEQ XT32 95%+ @ all times. ...Except when in Pure Audio mode.

* All the other audio modes I simply don't care for.

<<>> Mine is a little different than the 805, but simply deduct 32 from the XT, and 2 Plus from the Ultra.
Other than that all the other audio modes I use you have on the 805.

** My main source(s) are BD players, CD players, HD R.a.d.i.o.
Is this in reference to an 805 or 705? I am not familiar with XT32.

Also, what are 705 users doing as pre-sets for listening modes to eliminate the relay switching?

Last edited by MegaMember; 08-03-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors