Looking for receiver with an RF remote. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-11-2001, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a new house built and would hate to miss the opportunity to wire all the rooms for sound. I just want some good sounding stereo for when I'm entertaining or cleaning. I want to put a receiver in the basement that I can control with a RF remote. I will have volume controls in each room as well as a speaker selector so I can control the rooms. What are the receivers you recommend? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-11-2001, 07:40 PM

To my knowledge, the only receiver that comes with an RF capable remote is the Denon AVR-5800. However, the included Aktis remote is in my opinion one of the worst designed units out there. It does have the possibility of becoming a decent remote if Denon does release the promised 3.0 upgrade (rumored for around now, May 2001).

As it stands, the remote is barely programmable with the supplied PC software, and there are several issues with the functionality of the remote. Check out the Aktis Froze! thread over at the Denon Flagship Receiver forum.
http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdan...icID=361.topic

While I do love the 5800, Denon's lack of support for its RS-232 port and the Aktis remote leave it somewhat less than stellar. The sound is great, but the control issues surrounding it make it somewhat lack-luster (in my opinion).

As a workaround, I'm considering the new Pronto Pro, with its RF capability. Only time will tell though.

------------------
View My DVD Collection
Dale S. aka Frustrated (with Denon) in Calgary

XBox Gamertag: Shadowhwk
PSN: Shadowhwk_YYC

"The first few times fighting her, I felt as helpless as a one legged cat trying to cover turds on a frozen pond." <---- We've all been there!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-11-2001, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the reply. I should of mentioned my price range. About $700.00. It looks like that receiver comes with a RF base station. I was looking for something like Bose where its built in. I'm really only looking to control radio & CD player. Why is this not a mainstream feature. RF seems to me way better than dealing with IR repeaters?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-12-2001, 06:54 PM

If you're looking for "reliable" control of equipment, a hardwired IR repeating system will do much better than using an RF based remote.

Low cost RF based remotes, like the One for All mentioned above, are susceptible to RF noise. The receiver has a hard time distinguishing the "true" remote signals from the RF noise.

Even if there is little or no RF noise present in your area, (highly unlikely) being the equipment will be located in a basement, the operation will be erratic at best.

Because of concrete walls and the fact that most basements are underground, the RF receiver would be effectively shielded from the remote.

"Nothing is impossible. You just need enough money."
post #5 of 6 Old 05-12-2001, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

You'll probably have to get something like one4all's $100 universal remote that has RF built in and put the RF-IR base near your equipment. This way you could control everything via RF not just the reciever. Either that or you could use some IR repeating stuff.

------------------
Gifford Largey
AudioVision Systems
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2001, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Diamond Bar Calif USA 91765 / Seattle area WA 98512
JVC makes a few with these, look at the 9000. Doug
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors