Just Upgraded My Receiver/Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-25-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, everyone.

I just upgraded my 6 year-old Denon 1601 5.1 receiver with Celestion 5.1 speaker setup to:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR705.../dp/B000OBMX0K

Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT54.../dp/B000GU78Z4

What do you think? I read that the SR705 didn't have the sync & popping issues that the 605 & 805 has. I also read that the SR705 is better on power consumption than the SR805. Are these statements true?

I live in an apartment but I can still turn my audio up pretty loud. I thought it was about time to upgrade. Especially since my 5.1 setup is pretty old and only put out 60 watts per channel.

My subwoofer isn't as old as my 5.1 setup because that sub went bad. The subwoofer I've got now is a 10" Infinity SR-10 [ Link: http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-PS-10.../dp/B000255378 ] and it's a better sub than the one that comes with my new Onkyo setup so I'm going to use it with my new system.

I hope that, if I can't now, I can eventually use the lossless, HD audio tracks on all my Blu-ray and HD DVD's now. Sadly, I think right now the PS3 doesn't allow for that even if it sends the stream to this SR-705 I purchased, right?

I hope to get some advice/opinions on my new purchases. I hope the receiver isn't as hard to setup as everyone says. I will use the "Official" thread for the receiver on these forums some more to continue learning about my new receiver.

Thanks in advance!

Xbox 360 Elite - 66 HD-DVD titles [pics]
PS3 80gb - 78 Blu-ray titles [pics]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No DTS-MA for you... But keep in mind that the audio you get when you select those tracks is 1.5mb DTS. No slouch in it's own right. I am holding out hope that an update will add DTS decoding somehow to the PS3's list of capabilities.

But, the 1.5mb DTS thing, makes it not such a big deal for me.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
64kbs AAC is tolerable for music. Not great, but tolerable. 128kbs AAC vs 265 ACC is a subtle difference to me.

Purely speculative arithmetic should give us better than 250kbs for the FCL channels (I would guess mains would use a higher bitrate than the LFE/surrounds.) Even if DTS was 1/2 as efficient as AAC, we would have something comparable to 128 AAC which is very good.

For concert videos, I could see where lossless would be really nice. No compromises. But I think John is on the right track by suggesting you can live with DTS.

DTS-HD MA is a PITA IMHO. Firstly, it was not made into a mandatory decoder on players. Then studios decided to use it anyway even though many Blu-ray player owners could not hear it. And now we have a number of owners reporting loud popping noises on certain discs; most likely a flaw in a decoder chip being used in certain receivers.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

No DTS-MA for you... But keep in mind that the audio you get when you select those tracks is 1.5mb DTS. No slouch in it's own right. I am holding out hope that an update will add DTS decoding somehow to the PS3's list of capabilities.

But, the 1.5mb DTS thing, makes it not such a big deal for me.

That really stinks. In my mind, I'll have a sweet system but unable to use 1/2 it's potential.

1.5 DTS is great, sure, but I could and did already get that with my old system.

If the PS3 can't decode the DTS-MA, can't it send the code to the receiver and have the 705 decode it? I thought this receiver was powerful enough for that...

I'm happy I'm upgrading still but I'm starting to think it was mostly a waste. Is the PS3 capable, with an update, to decode DTS-MA? If yes, then why hasn't it happened yet?

post #5 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I actually think there may be a cost associated with the update for DTS-MA decoding on the PS3 when it comes out. Lots of people want it.

The current model PS3's will not ever be able to send that audio undecoded to the AVR. That fact I feel has been fully discolsed at this point.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I actually think there may be a cost associated with the update for DTS-MA decoding on the PS3 when it comes out. Lots of people want it.

The current model PS3's will not ever be able to send that audio undecoded to the AVR. That fact I feel has been fully discolsed at this point.

Do you mean 'cost' in the literal sense? As in a charge or in terms of computing power?

Have you heard any rumors/speculation/etc. of it happening and/or any guestimate as to when? I'd be really appreciative if you could answer that.

post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

FYI: The "Official" 705 thread in this forum makes it sound inevitible that we will get a PS3 patch for DTS MA:

"Again, after the DTS MA PS3 patch you never need to do this again."

I wish I knew exactly when or at least a guess as I can't wait for that to happen!

EDIT :::

Though, the official thread also states that the PS3 may/may not be able to do this in the future. It states it may not be possible due to it being an early chipset for HDMI 1.3 but also states it may be able to through tricky software patching/reprogramming. That said, the thread states Sony hasn't offered any type of rumors or speculation at any point that it's possible and/or will happen.

Is this all still the case or has anyone ever reported any rumors at all that it may happen and when? It sure would be lame for me to have a PS3 only for Blu-ray (which I do) yet never be able to decode DTS-MA...

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page