Official Yamaha RX-V863 thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by captinkirk View Post

Hey guys, I have read this whole thread and I don't hear anyone saying good things about this receiver. I thought this was suppose to be a really good receiver. I have HD cable, getting a PS3 and have my computer plugged in via S-cable. (soon to be component or hdmi) I thought this would be a good thing for me to upgrade to. What do you guys think. Tell me some good things about this receiver! Thanks guys.

-Kirk-

it is a good receiver but youll find mostly that forums end up being issues people are having and looking for help.

i enjoy it its very versatile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Hey guys, I have read this whole thread and I don't hear anyone saying good things about this receiver. I thought this was suppose to be a really good receiver. I have HD cable, getting a PS3 and have my computer plugged in via S-cable. (soon to be component or hdmi) I thought this would be a good thing for me to upgrade to. What do you guys think. Tell me some good things about this receiver! Thanks guys.

Since you mentioned having a computer, you presumably are aware of the BTB/WTW issue that others have complained about. If that doesn't worry you, I think you will really enjoy this receiver.

For me the RX-V863 replaces an 8-year-old Yamaha receiver, with the intention of getting ready for an HDTV. I haven't bought the HDTV yet, but things I like about the receiver so far are:
  • Sounds excellent with my Monitor Audio RS6/RSLCR speakers.
  • Ability to set relative volume levels of different inputs (-6 dB to +6 dB).
  • With the optional YDS-11 dock, ability to navigate the iPod's music menus with the receiver's remote and on-screen menu. Video from my iPod Classic also works, but I have to use the iPod's small screen to navigate.
  • A few additional radio stations available with HD radio (e.g. sometimes there is an HD2 in addition to HD1). Hopefully more stations will convert to HD radio over time.
  • The SCENE buttons partially make up for not having a macro learning remote. A SCENE button can select an input, DSP setting, and (for a Yamaha component) start play.
  • Assignable optical/coaxial/component/HDMI inputs make it more versatile.

YPAO was mixed for me--I used it to set relative speaker volume, but ultimately went back to unequalized settings. I wasn't convinced the equalized settings were an improvement.

Some minor annoyances:
  • The speaker terminals are very tightly spaced and hard to work with, but this is probably unavoidable with a 7.x receiver with a spare pair.
  • Using the iPod dock preempts the use of the V-AUX input, although you can get it back if you temporarily remove the iPod from the dock.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 PM

I thank you guys for the replies. There might be hope for this receiver yet!

-Kirk-
Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Also people have said in this forum that even with the 1080 pass through the video quality goes down. What do you guys think about this. True with some or all. I have the panny 42px80u and the picture is perfect. I don't want the PQ to go down because of my receiver. Thanks.

-Kirk-
Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 PM

^I had no issues with the video quality over HDMI, HDMI either completely fails (and you get all kinds of sparkles and artifacts on your screen or it works perfectly... there isn't really a middle ground like there is with an analog signal).

I've had an RX-V863 for some time. I love it... However after a power outtage it appears to no longer accept video over HDMI.

I haven't been able to locate any setting that could cause this... and audio still works over the HDMI port so I can't imagine the port is bad.

I've tried multiple HDMI cables with no luck. Finally, I've reset everything back to factory settings... I'm almost to the point of taking it to Best Buy to have them process it under the Warranty.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Also people have said in this forum that even with the 1080 pass through the video quality goes down. What do you guys think about this. True with some or all. I have the panny 42px80u and the picture is perfect. I don't want the PQ to go down because of my receiver. Thanks.

-Kirk-

As long as you accept the limited range behavior (BTB/WTW clipping,) you should be happy.

Too bad the threads on that topic have no summary of the issue. Suffice to say it mainly effects BTB test patterns on test discs. You also need to make sure your source devices are set for limited range output. Note that limited range sounds like something bad, but it's really not.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripflash View Post

I am a disappointed Onkyo TX-SR705 owner and I want to be sure this Yamaha doesn't have the same problem.

The Onkyo has a noticeable audio delay (or sync issue) that has been discussed on their forums. For me, I like to listen to the radio in different rooms. The delay on the Onkyo causes an echo effect in my house that makes me vomit. It's also annoying that I can't get the video and audio to sync perfectly.

I was wondering if anyone notices this on the Yamaha. If you listen to a cheap pocket radio and the Yamaha, does the Yamaha introduce any audio delay? Thanks.

I too have an echo when hearing simultaneous audio form the Yamaha and a portable radio on my pation. I have tried "pure direct" and not succeeded in eliminating this annoyance. Has anyone found a way to eliminate or reduce the bucket brigade delay from the Yamaha whilst listening to it and an ajacent simple analog radio tuned to the same analog FM station? ( I specifically tune in on analog mode as HD reception has a built in reverb effect on this and a Sony HD tuner on distant stations; I think it's attempting some error correction on weak signals)
Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 AM

whats up the ipod dock, do any of you have it ?
where can it be purchased ?

speak up

i wanna know if it will play video or if id be better off to buy the apple dock and connect it to the 863 with the component cables and get it upconverted to 1080p ?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:46 PM

I had Apple's previous iPod Universal Dock with a composite or S-video connection. Its downfall was the tiny remote. To get fast forward or reverse required pressing and holding the left or right buttons, rather than just clicking them. More than once the remote confused a press and hold for a click, so instead of a fast reverse, the video went all the way back to the start. What a pain. I expect you'd have the same problem with Apple's newer universal dock, as it has the same tiny remote.

I bought the Yamaha YDS-11 dock and it solves this problem by having separate buttons for fast forward/fast reverse and skip forward/skip backward on the remote. Video works fine from my iPod Classic, although it's necessary to navigate the iPod's menu to choose the video. Make sure the TV out setting on the iPod is set to on.

The other advantage of the Yamaha dock is that you get a text-only on-screen menu which is easier to view from a distance. It's only good for navigating music. If you want to view photos or videos, you have to navigate the iPod's own menus, but you can use the Yamaha remote. You can switch between using the iPod's menu or the Yamaha on-screen menu by pressing the Display button on the Yamaha remote when it is switched to Source (not Amp or TV).
Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Does anyone know if the yamaha dock works with the ipod touch ?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmartin View Post

I too have an echo when hearing simultaneous audio form the Yamaha and a portable radio on my pation. I have tried "pure direct" and not succeeded in eliminating this annoyance.

Pure Direct should eliminate the delay within the receiver. How far is your patio from the main speakers? Maybe it's just the sound travel delay you're hearing (approximately 1ms per foot).
Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 PM

I placed a portable radio on top of my left speaker, tuned to the same station as my Yamaha receiver, and noticed a delay in the audio coming from the receiver. Pure Direct didn't eliminate the delay.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhoodCT View Post

I placed a portable radio on top of my left speaker, tuned to the same station as my Yamaha receiver, and noticed a delay in the audio coming from the receiver. Pure Direct didn't eliminate the delay.

All I can say for certain is I did the same experiment with the RX-V1800. There was an obvious echo that disappeared when I switched to Pure Direct mode. I would expect the 863 to behave the same, but maybe for some reason it's different.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:59 AM

I redid the experiment, and I think Pure Direct shortened, but did not eliminate, the echo from the RX-V863. Sounds like the RX-V1800 does a better job.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 PM

On the iPod touch, it works well with mine.

regards, bert
Old 10-09-2008, 05:28 AM

my YDS-11SL dock will be here today. !! cant wait to see how well the video does.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:38 PM

My 863 has been set up and working fine for a few months using HDMI for the video. It just stopped displaying any video via either the HDMI or the component outputs. Sometimes when I switch between DVRs, I get a second or two of video and then it goes blank. The 863 menus don't display on the TV also. I can connect my DVR's direct to the TV and that works fine.

I have tried turning video converstion off and that makes no difference. Yahama support has no ideas othen than to take it to a service center.

Any ideas on what might be the problem? I am hoping that some obscure configuration switch got flipped and I can make it work without having to do all of the work to take it to the repair center.

bert
Old 10-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Ok so, many of the games on the Xbox 360 run at 5.1, also this is the case with many blu-ray movies, they may be TRUEHD or DTS Master audio but they are still 5.1.

My question is, what is the best way to convert the straight signal to 7.1 from 5.1... I'm not much for the DSP stuff while playing games.. I just want to get things goin' in 7.1 properly. when I change to 7ch stereo... I don't think it converts it properly... things just get louder.

I want to either make my Surround Rear's (the back ones) my surrounds for 5.1 instead of the sides, or have the rear channel coming out of both the sides and the back channel, but not effect the front channels at all...

Is there a good setting for this? the way I have my sides positioned I need to be almost pressed up against the TV in order to be in front of the sides... but the way the room is laid out thats all I can do with them now, they are about in the center of the room too but the TV is close to the center too...

So the rears are the ones I want to use, the behind rears not the side rears, any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorranFox View Post

I want to either make my Surround Rear's (the back ones) my surrounds for 5.1 instead of the sides, or have the rear channel coming out of both the sides and the back channel, but not effect the front channels at all...

Menu->Manual Setup->Sound Menu->EXTD SUR.->PLIIxMovie

Then to keep the setting...

Menu->Manual Setup->Option Menu->Init. Config->EXTD SUR.->LAST

I believe thats what you're looking for.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Since you mentioned having a computer, you presumably are aware of the BTB/WTW issue that others have complained about. If that doesn't worry you, I think you will really enjoy this receiver.

What exactly is the 863 problem with computers? I am thinking of getting a HTPC so I want to beware of all the known possible problems.

I have read the 863 doesnt like HDMI to DVI but if you get a mobo with a HDMI port is there still a problem? or does it really just not like computers at all?

On another note I recently bought a decent Composite cable and now my STB looks a lot sharper. I should try it hooked up directly to TV to see if it would look even better. Like some one already said you can still go video striaght to TV and only do sound with 863 but if my 863 couldnt do video I would definitely take it back.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:34 AM

I am definitely not the most qualified to answer this question as I don't have my PC connected to my receiver, or even have an HDTV.

As I understand the issue, there are some sources, such as certain Blu-ray titles, as well as possibly some HTPC video output that sends BTB ("blacker than black") or WTW ("whiter than white") over an HDMI connection. According to some HDMI spec, color levels should range from 16 to 235, but the aforementioned sources can send signals over the full 0-255 range. Apparently the Yamaha RX-V863 (and many Yamaha models over the past couple of years) restricts video output levels to the 16-235 range. The best thread I have seen on this subject is:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1010178

If no one else chimes in here, you can also do your own search of the forums for things like "Yamaha BTB" with, for example, "pass" or "clipping" or "computer" or "HTPC". There is also a forum specifically on Home Theater Computers: (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26. Here's one thread that might be of particular interest: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=523614.

If you are looking for a Yamaha receiver that passes the full range, apparently the new RX-V1900 has recently been reported to pass this test. And if you can wait 6 months, I suspect the successor to the RX-V863 will also pass this test.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I redid the experiment, and I think Pure Direct shortened, but did not eliminate, the echo from the RX-V863. Sounds like the RX-V1800 does a better job.

Yamaha telphone help said essentially the only way to eliminate the echo is to hook an outboard analog tuner to the RX-V863. Haven't done this yet to see if it synchs but I'm dubious even this will work. I suspect the delay is not introduced in the RX-V863 radio section (when not in "HD" mode) but rather in the amp section where the fancy sound field options operate and that even "pure direct" is susceptible to some minimal perceptible delay if all audio signals are without exception initially digitized.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reposition or rewire the current place speakers
AKA (my Surround Rear's (the back ones) my surrounds for 5.1 instead of the sides)
Note* You may get a very bad sound field experience

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
Old 10-19-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Ok so, many of the games on the Xbox 360 run at 5.1, also this is the case with many blu-ray movies, they may be TRUEHD or DTS Master audio but they are still 5.1.

My question is, what is the best way to convert the straight signal to 7.1 from 5.1... I'm not much for the DSP stuff while playing games.. I just want to get things goin' in 7.1 properly. when I change to 7ch stereo... I don't think it converts it properly... things just get louder.

Is there a good setting for this? the way I have my sides positioned I need to be almost pressed up against the TV in order to be in front of the sides... but the way the room is laid out thats all I can do with them now, they are about in the center of the room too but the TV is close to the center too...

It's really up to you to try out different options.

So the rears are the ones I want to use, the behind rears not the side rears, any suggestions?

You can convert 5.1 to 7.1 as mentioned above. But if you don't like your surround setup, why not try a 5.1 speaker setup? Remove one pair, leaving only one pair of speakers for surround. Locate these speakers where it sounds best to you. You can even put those behind you if you prefer.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As someone suggested, PLIIx (Pro Logic IIx) is your best bet. It doesn't touch the front channels, just converts two surround channels into four.

I (and many others) use it all the time for 5.1 sources.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The latest news from Yamaha support (not sure if comes direct from Japan or not) is still that they do not plan to fix the (HDMI) clipping on the 663/863/1800/3800.

(I am copying this quote from the HDMI pass-through topic in case anyone interested in the RX-V863 misses it there.)

The 863 has several nice upgrades from my RX-V661; separate equalizing for front/back/center speakers, a third HDMI input, and HD Radio built-in. Unfortunately, without the full-range HDMI pass-through, I cannot use one with my computer's HDMI output. I do not want to spend twice the 863's price for a Yamaha 1900, so I might have to wait for an 865 if that is the next version in this price range. I really like the 661, so I would most likely stay with a Yamaha.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

Old 11-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The manual makes a warning about trying to record DTS from the digital output, this implies DD/DTS are passed through along with stereo LPCM, but the warning makes it seem that perhaps it isn't setting the DD/DTS flag correctly in the bitsream it outputs. Though, the warning only mentions DD and not DTS, maybe because there are no DD audio CDs but there are DTS audio CDs they felt the warning for DD was pointless ?

Can anyone test this? Would be handy as I could then run it into a toslink to coax SPDIF box and send it upstairs, then into my current receiver (which I would move upstairs).

Planning to split HDMI output upstairs eventually and this beats trying to run a sufficiently shielded 6 or 8 RCA set for analog preout to multichannel input since we'd be talking about 50-75ft of cable (apt so can't punch holes in walls/floors, or it'd be a 20ft run max)

If this worked, it might be worth it to me the price difference over 663, but otherwise I'm not sure the extra watts are worth it. # of inputs won't matter since I'll be using external switching (monoprice HDMI switch and extron system 10 for everything else)...
Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 AM

to those using an HDDVD player.
when playing a movie my 863 seems to not let me change my audio programs "not available" is there a setting on the HDDVD player thats stopping it ?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Has anyone figured out how to disable or program memory channels to receive just the analog signal. When I press the memory channel button for a few seconds it says HD 1 or 2 OFF. The only way I have found to git the receiver to go analog is in manual tune but then you only get the analog mono. Any one else hate the make your ears bleed "HD"?? radio signal ? Ok so HD1 and 2.3 are program streams. Shows HD1 OFF. I get analog then about 4 sec later!! "HD" Anyone

VooDOO AUDIO........ VooDoo AUDIO LOUNGE 7.235MHZ 3.630MHZ 3.870MHZ 3.847MHZ www.wz5q.net
Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 AM

Got it on Friday from SANTAMONICA-deals for uner $600 delivered.

Setup with the following gear:

SA Explorer 3250HD Comcast DVI to HDMI+Coax Digital as DTV/CBL= HDM I080i + Dolby D EX

LG BH100 HDMI+Optical+5.1 Analog as DVD = HDMI 1080P + DTS-ES Matrix

Pany DVD XP30 Component+Optical as DVR = HDMI 1080P + DTS-ES Dscrt

JVC DH40000U D-VHS Component+Optical as VCR = HDMI 1080i + Dolby D EX

v863 connected to Philips 42PFL7432D by a single HDMI

Everything works, looks great and sounds great