Official Yamaha RX-V863 thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1004 Old 12-20-2008, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my RX-V661 set to both since I upgraded my mains to full-range towers. In my case, the both setting helps equalize the room's bad bass response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1004 Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 PM

Hi Everyone,

Im very close to purchasing this receiver. I am looking to connect my HTPC (using a Nvidia 8800GTS - DVI to HDMI connection) and my satellite receiver (Component only). The HTPC will be used to play computer games and x/h264 movies.

Based on my requirements above do you feel this receiver would be good for me or would you recommend another unit? It is very important to me that I can upconvert my HTPC and everything else to HDMI.

I appreciate your feedback,

Thank you,
D
post #453 of 1004 Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
ddasilva99-

Right now, the Yamaha RX-V863 (as well as the RX-V663 and some others) is not a good choice for connecting a computer via an HDMI (or DVI) connection. The reason is that these Yamahas modify or limit the values of the digital color signals passed through their HDMI inputs to their HDMI outputs. They change "PC levels" of HDMI/DVI video (0-255) to "video levels" (16-235). Here is a discussion of the problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1010178

If the 863 did not have this problem, I would have bought one already myself. Other choices without the HDMI video problem include the Onkyo 606 or higher models, or an older Yamaha like the RX-V661 if you want to stick with this brand.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #454 of 1004 Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your help identifying the issues with this receiver. Unfortunately the onkyo are not available at FS/BB in Canada. Do you recommend a Denon or Pioneer with HDMI Upconvert?

BTW: Is Yamaha going to fix this issue?
post #455 of 1004 Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddasilva99 View Post

Thank you for your post. I appreciate your help identifying the issues with this receiver. Unfortunately the onkyo are not available at FS/BB in Canada. Do you recommend a Denon or Pioneer with HDMI Upconvert?

BTW: Is Yamaha going to fix this issue?

Visions sells Onkyo...
post #456 of 1004 Old 12-22-2008, 09:26 AM

I just got an 863 a couple of days ago, and I'm a complete home theater newbie. My setup is a Samsung 650 "52 LCD, Yamaha 863, Samsung 2550 Bluray, Comcast HD cable box, Wii, & XBOX 360, Harmony 890 remote. I have 2 problems that I'm hoping someone will know how to solve: 1. I normally leave the AV Receiver in Surr Decode mode. This seems to work exceptionally well in most cases. Bluray movies switch to TrueHD or the DTS equivalent. However, some Comcast channels that are transmitting dolby digital get decoded as ProLogic. What I've noticed is that the surround speakers just put out digital noise when that happens. How do I get the Surround Decode to default to ProLogic IIx or some better codec for 2 channel sources? I'd prefer to leave the sound field selection alone if possible. With the exception of late night viewing (where 7 ch. stereo or some other "quieter" mode may be preferable), I'd prefer to let the AV receiver choose the best codec. Am I thinking about this the right way? The second question is about programming my harmony remote to support Zone2 & ipod control. Zone2 control from the remote seems goofy (you have 10 seconds to select an action & only a subset of options are available). Has anyone got this working? In particular, I'd like to control the ipod track forward/reverse and volume from the harmony 890. Any help would be appreciated.
post #457 of 1004 Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
In my experience, the surround modes are only available with two channel input. I would guess you are getting two channel Dolby Digital and then the surround processing is applied to that signal. Not sure why you get unwanted noise though.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #458 of 1004 Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm thinking about upgrading my old RX-V595a and the RX-V863 is one of the receivers I am considering, and I have a couple questions:

1. How is the HD radio? A lot of the stations around here are broadcasting in HD so I am leaning towards a receiver with that feature, but if it's not all that great then I would consider one with out it.

2. If I have my cable STB connected into the receiver with HDMI, and HDMI out from the receiver to the TV, will I get audio and video to the TV with out turning the receiver on? I don't like the idea of turning everything on just to watch the news first thing in the morning.
post #459 of 1004 Old 12-27-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
vando45-

I do not own an RX-V863 for the reason in Post #453 above, but I can answer both of your questions in more general terms:

1) I highly recommend HD Radio, and this feature is the biggest reason I had to upgrade to the Yamaha 863 over my exitsing RX-V661 and a separate HD Radio tuner. There is a much wider selection of formats available with HD in most areas, and the sound quality is often better than the analog FM.

2) No, the receiver will not "pass through" the HDMI signal (nor any others) with its power off. No receivers do this, that I have seen. If you want this ability, try hooking up a separate A/V output of the cable box to the TV directly (component video and analog audio, for example).

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #460 of 1004 Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 AM

Hi Learning to use my 863,trying to figure out, what settings I need to go from CATV 2 Channel Signal to 7.1 from the receiver,also 5.1 to 7.1. I called yamaha and they said to put the setting to 7 channel enhancer mode.This to me is not right. I am thinking I made a bad desicion on my purchase?
post #461 of 1004 Old 12-30-2008, 03:58 PM

check pages 14-16 jgh told me how to get it done. Don't worry, you bought the right one
post #462 of 1004 Old 12-31-2008, 02:23 PM

My co worker just picked up this avr and a Sony BX-1 (same as s350) blu ray player. When he has the player decode the hd audio, pcm lights up. But when he switches the player to "direct" bitstream and chooses the hd audio track on the disc, the avr doesn't display dts ma or dolby hd. It either displays dolby digital or dts. He is using an hdmi projector for his output if that makes any difference. The hdmi cable between the player and receiver is the one that came with the player. He has the latest firmware for the blu ray player. The audio select setting for the avr is set to auto. Is there another setting in the receiver that he is missing? or any other thoughts?

I setup the same player on my Pio Elite avr and it works fine. I'm not familiar with the Yamaha avrs to be much help to him.

Thanks.

post #463 of 1004 Old 01-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Quick question. I've got the RX-V2700 so my experience with the 863 is limited.
In trying to get some new equipment hooked up for my parents - They purchased a tv, blu-ray, and rx-v863, but held off on the speakers for now.
I've got everything connected to the 863 via hdmi, but cannot get sound on the tv. Is there a way to pass through sound on this system? Or do I need to skip the receiver for now and just go with the direct connections to the tv? I wanted to just hook everything up, and do the speakers later. But I'm getting the feeling I can't do that.
post #464 of 1004 Old 01-03-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhahne View Post

...Is there a way to pass through sound on this system? ...

Check the HDMI set under Options in the Menu. There is a setting that controls what you're looking to do I believe. Choices are RX-V863 (default) & Other with Other being the HDMI component connected to the HDMI Out of 863/ (pg 101 of manual btw)
post #465 of 1004 Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don851 View Post

My co worker just picked up this avr and a Sony BX-1 (same as s350) blu ray player. When he has the player decode the hd audio, pcm lights up. But when he switches the player to "direct" bitstream and chooses the hd audio track on the disc, the avr doesn't display dts ma or dolby hd. It either displays dolby digital or dts. He is using an hdmi projector for his output if that makes any difference. The hdmi cable between the player and receiver is the one that came with the player. He has the latest firmware for the blu ray player. The audio select setting for the avr is set to auto. Is there another setting in the receiver that he is missing? or any other thoughts?

I setup the same player on my Pio Elite avr and it works fine. I'm not familiar with the Yamaha avrs to be much help to him.

Thanks.

My initial thought is that the disc you are watching doesn't have an HD or MA track. If you select PCM on the player, I am pretty sure it will send all audio tracks via PCM, including DTS or DD. So, if you let the receiver decode the audio, it will tell you what type of audio track it is decoding. In this case DD or DTS. If a MA or HD track were available, then I believe that is what you would see. If the player does the decoding, then I think PCM IS all you will see on the receiver. If I am wrong I hope someone will correct me. I hope this helpls. Good luck.
post #466 of 1004 Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM
jgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

vando45-

2) No, the receiver will not "pass through" the HDMI signal (nor any others) with its power off. No receivers do this, that I have seen. If you want this ability, try hooking up a separate A/V output of the cable box to the TV directly (component video and analog audio, for example).

I pretty sure I have read a review that indicates the Yamaha 3900 provides this capability
post #467 of 1004 Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The 3900 does. It's pricey though. It works pretty slick actually, but I don't use it. I always play sound through my 3900. I set the 3900 so that HDMI is passed through to the TV when it's in standbye mode. It works as advertised, I get both picture and sound.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #468 of 1004 Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM
jgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by don851 View Post

Thanks.

Not sure if you have now resolved this issue, but just a few thoughts...

The 863 is definitely capable of decoding DTS-HD and MA - when the BR player is set to 'Bitstream'
You need to ensure that you have connected the BR player and the 863 via HDMI - you mention that the HDMI cable that came with the player was used (I wasn't aware that the BR players actually came with a HDMI cable - the one I bought came with those crappy analogue cables - so just a thought to confirm)
Setting the decoder mode to Auto should be OK - I think it defaults to this anyway
Just be aware that simply putting a BR disc on does not automatically select the best/highest quality sound option to play. Many BR discs default to standard DD or DTS and you have to go into the BR disc menu and actually select the higher HD audio option. I know you have indicated that this was selected - but again just another thought to check
post #469 of 1004 Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Can anyone tell me if the RX-v863 has dual electrical input switch, eg 110 to 220/240?

I live overseas (Dubai) and while there is no tax here for purchases, it's still less expensive in the states I believe. Just wondering if I'll need an upconverter for it.

Thanks
post #470 of 1004 Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 PM

Only Asia and What they call General Models have the Voltage selector,The one I own is an U.S.A. Model and it does not have voltage selector.
post #471 of 1004 Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 AM

I finally obtained the most current US firmware update file for the 863 from Yamaha customer support. I updated mine last night with no problems or issues it is now E057U / 4.07r2. The file was sent to me along with the attached but the zip file is just at 2 meg so I can't upload it to the site.

FirmUpdate CD Method.pdf 491.6484375k . file
post #472 of 1004 Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskultety View Post

I finally obtained the most current US firmware update file for the 863 from Yamaha customer support. I updated mine last night with no problems or issues it is now E057U / 4.07r2. The file was sent to me along with the attached but the zip file is just at 2 meg so I can't upload it to the site.

What issues does this version resolve?
post #473 of 1004 Old 01-08-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspice1 View Post
What issues does this version resolve?
The first update was to the DSP firmware it went from 4.05r2 to 4.07r2. The next two updates were to the main firmware which went from C051 to D054 and finally to E057. Please see the attached files for the specific issues that they addressed.

SN4908ce.pdf 38.8203125k . file

SN5308ce.pdf 39.1826171875k . file

SN6008ce.pdf 38.8662109375k . file
post #474 of 1004 Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Hello,

I recently bought the V863 receiver and I have bumped into the following problem.

My set up is

PS3 - SANYO PLVZ200 projector - v863 receiver & Boss speakers, XLO HDMI Cables.

Although when playing Blue-ray, DVD, Divx movies I get perfect surround sound when I try to play a CD through the PS3 I get no sound at all and also when scrolling trough the PS3 interface (I think it is called XMB). However when the PS3 starts up I do hear the "tune - up" orchestra sound but then nothing

When I connect the PS3 directly to a Sony Bravia LCD TV I get sound from the CD and from scrolling through the interface so I suppose it is not a PS3 issue, but rather a receiver setting issue.

I have tried changing various settings on the receiver but no luck and I am really frustrated. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #475 of 1004 Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskultety View Post

I may have missed it but, can you direct me to where I can download thes firmware update? Thanks..................Brian
post #476 of 1004 Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Just got the 863, the sound is stunningly awesome compared to my older DENON 2802. But just like some here the bad thing about this when playing Blu-ray discs (Sony BDP-300) w/ Dolby Tru-Hd, the indicator doesn't lit up only Dolby Digital & also tried a DTS-MA 7.1 disc, to no avail only 5.1 is sent out. This is one of the downside of this highly acclaimed receiver. So if anybody out there has solve this problem, please share it around here. Good Day & God Bless

The world is not enough, but it will do...
post #477 of 1004 Old 01-12-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_sunset_blvd View Post

Just got the 863, the sound is stunningly awesome compared to my older DENON 2802. But just like some here the bad thing about this when playing Blu-ray discs (Sony BDP-300) w/ Dolby Tru-Hd, the indicator doesn't lit up only Dolby Digital & also tried a DTS-MA 7.1 disc, to no avail only 5.1 is sent out. This is one of the downside of this highly acclaimed receiver. So if anybody out there has solve this problem, please share it around here. Good Day & God Bless

Make sure the BDP-300 is sending bitstream to the 863. Make sure you choose the type of sound you want in the Blu Ray discs menu. In many cases this is necessary.
The 663 will then decode the chosen bitstream and it will indicate this on the front panel.
post #478 of 1004 Old 01-13-2009, 06:23 AM

Thanks there Larry, how do we know the BD Player is sending bitstream to the receiver? Is it in the settings w/ the player coz if so, I dont see any settings for it in the system menu of the Blu-Ray player. The only thing that I found in the audio set-up menu are:

Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital or Downmix PCM
DTS : DTS or Downmix PCM
DTS DOWNMIX: Stereo or lt/rt
AUDIO (HDMI): Auto or PCM

I tried to experiment each one of them but w/ no success, Is it possible maybe the player can't decode TRUE HD & DTS MA audio yet coz it one of the first one to come out in the market & possibly it needs a newer software version. Just my own thinking, hehe. Anybody out there has a better theory or solution on this matter?

post #479 of 1004 Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_sunset_blvd View Post

Just got the 863, the sound is stunningly awesome compared to my older DENON 2802. But just like some here the bad thing about this when playing Blu-ray discs (Sony BDP-300) w/ Dolby Tru-Hd, the indicator doesn't lit up only Dolby Digital & also tried a DTS-MA 7.1 disc, to no avail only 5.1 is sent out.

The S300 was one of those early BD players with limited HD audio support. You'll be better off asking in the S300 thread, but as far as I know it can't send TrueHD or DTS-HD MA bitstreams, and never will. When released it couldn't decode TrueHD internally either, but that was added in later firmware (version 4.2 I believe). I don't think it can decode DTS-HD MA.

So you'll never see the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA lights on your receiver with that player, but with new firmware you should at least be able to decode TrueHD and send as multi-channel PCM over HDMI. For DTS-HD MA you'll be getting the core lossy DTS track (usually at 1.5Mbps, which still sounds very good).
post #480 of 1004 Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The S300 was one of those early BD players with limited HD audio support. You'll be better off asking in the S300 thread, but as far as I know it can't send TrueHD or DTS-HD MA bitstreams, and never will. When released it couldn't decode TrueHD internally either, but that was added in later firmware (version 4.2 I believe). I don't think it can decode DTS-HD MA.

So you'll never see the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA lights on your receiver with that player, but with new firmware you should at least be able to decode TrueHD and send as multi-channel PCM over HDMI. For DTS-HD MA you'll be getting the core lossy DTS track (usually at 1.5Mbps, which still sounds very good).

Right on! That's what I'm really suspecting from the start, Thanks alot there for the technical advice. Now I'll get a breather from all these trial & error thing & I could put a halt from all my tinkering w/ the equipments. Now on to enjoying MOVIES w/ great cinamatic sound!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page