Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1006 Old 02-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post

Can a Blu-Ray player be connected to the 6180 by HDMi (to get the audio formats) and by component and pass the component video out?

Nope. The 6180 will upgrade signals but won't downgrade digital "HDMi" to component. Any HDMi signal input to the unit must go out via HDMi per p. 19 of the owners manual.

That would be a great excuse for a new TV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1006 Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdac View Post

Nope. The 6180 will upgrade signals but won't downgrade digital "HDMi" to component. Any HDMi signal input to the unit must go out via HDMi per p. 19 of the owners manual.

That would be a great excuse for a new TV!

Yes, but if I also connect the player to the 6180 by component, can I use component out to the TV?

Am I correct that the player needs the HDMi connection for all of the audio formats? Or can they all be passed using optical?

I have a professionally calibrated Mits 63 inch CRT TV. Hopefully, I won't need to replace it for a long time.
post #543 of 1006 Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, but if I also connect the player to the 6180 by component, can I use component out to the TV?

Am I correct that the player needs the HDMi connection for all of the audio formats? Or can they all be passed using optical?

I have a professionally calibrated Mits 63 inch CRT TV. Hopefully, I won't need to replace it for a long time.

Okay, I see what you're getting at now. The short answer is that I don't know if that would work.

I'd try it for you but I don't have a player with both HDMi and component outputs. The problem is that the HDMi video signal may interfere with the component video signal in the 6180. I don't know for sure.

Have you considered connecting the player to the 6180 via HDMI and then running a component cable to the TV from the player and bypassing the 6180 entirely for video purposes? Does your player output HDMi and component signals simultaneously?
post #544 of 1006 Old 02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdac View Post

Have you considered connecting the player to the 6180 via HDMI and then running a component cable to the TV from the player and bypassing the 6180 entirely for video purposes? Does your player output HDMi and component signals simultaneously?

I only have 1 component input on the TV. If I can't use the 6180 component switching then I would have to get a separate component switch (remote controlled) so I could connect by DirecTv receiver and the player. I'm looking at the new Oppo Blu-ray player and I believe it will output HDMi and component simultaneously. I'll have to check.

Can you confirm whether HDMi is needed for the audio formats because optical's bandwidth is too small?
post #545 of 1006 Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Will there be an RX-V865 model? I know some new Yamaha receivers have the x65 numbers. There's a new V765 but it doesn't have a built-in HD Radio Tuner... so it looks like I will have to move to the V86x type to have this feature. Any news/info if there'll be a V865? Thanks.

Yamaha RX-V1900 + a whole lot of other stuff
post #546 of 1006 Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Can you confirm whether HDMi is needed for the audio formats because optical's bandwidth is too small?

FWIW, I've read that you need HDMi for the TrueHD/DTS-HD formats. I think it's more of a DRM issue than bandwidth. I don't have the equipment however to try and test this for you. Maybe somebody else can chime in.
post #547 of 1006 Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I was unable to find any concrete info on the bandwidth limitations of the S/PDIF standard. Maybe it could handle what HDMI handles, maybe not.

What HDMI did was take DVI and add audio to it. This apparently met all their needs.

As to why no one thought to expand the S/DIF standard to allow for more than two channel PCM, is not clear. Seems manufacturers saw value in the unified audio/video of HDMI, and they expected the average consumer to like that decision.

Things always evolve, so it's still possible S/PDIF will be used as the basis for a higher bandwidth audio pipeline.

In the mean time, S/PDIF is limited to Dolby Digital, DTS or two channel PCM. For lossless bitstream or multi-channel PCM, you need HDMI.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #548 of 1006 Old 03-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am having problems setting up 6.1. I can't get the adjustment off NONE for the rear single surround, I am pluged into the proper jack and the speaker plays. Any input. It is probably something simple I am overlooking. Thanks
post #549 of 1006 Old 03-01-2009, 05:46 PM

I am thinking about getting this receiver and hooking it up to my Pana PZ800U. Are you guys satisfied and would you buy it again? The only thing I will be connecting via HDMI is the TV, a Pana BD 35 Blue ray and an XBOX. I have a pool shed about a hundred feet away that I would like to use wireless speakers with an ipod. Is this possible?
post #550 of 1006 Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 PM

I have a dilemma...

I am just getting into this whole audiophile thing, so I am a complete newcomer/blank slate. I need to decide between two different receivers, both at great prices. Keep in mind, my uses will be minimal (HDTV, BluRay, 360, Wii and XM Radio).

Do I go for a RX-V863 for $450.00 or a RX-V1900 for $725.00 - USD for both. I have a friend who owns a shop and will give me cost.

I've already heard my speakers (PSB Alpha series) with a RX-V463 and they matched especially well.

Thanks guys.
post #551 of 1006 Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post

I am having problems setting up 6.1. I can't get the adjustment off NONE for the rear single surround, I am pluged into the proper jack and the speaker plays. Any input. It is probably something simple I am overlooking. Thanks

I went over all my settings. All seem OK. But in the manual setting I go into speaker setup and when I get to the rear center I can't get it to adjust to small or large, I can't get it off NONE. Help please.
post #552 of 1006 Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post

I have a dilemma...

I am just getting into this whole audiophile thing, so I am a complete newcomer/blank slate. I need to decide between two different receivers, both at great prices. Keep in mind, my uses will be minimal (HDTV, BluRay, 360, Wii and XM Radio).

Do I go for a RX-V863 for $450.00 or a RX-V1900 for $725.00 - USD for both. I have a friend who owns a shop and will give me cost.

I've already heard my speakers (PSB Alpha series) with a RX-V463 and they matched especially well.

Thanks guys.

You don't mention what you'll use as an HDTV tuner--just the HDTV itself, or also a cable box or DVR? Anyway, if you have just 4 video components, you can get by with the RX-V863, as long as only 3 require an HDMI connection. Otherwise go with the RX-V1900. It will also have a more flexible learning remote. The RX-V863 remote, while nice enough, requires entering preset codes for specific brand components. I don't see an Xbox 360 or Wii in the list of preset codes, so you'd have to use the remotes that came with those components, rather than the Yamaha RX-V863 remote. But for those two components, you'd probably do that anyway.

I have the RX-V863 myself, but since you can get the RX-V1900 for such a good price, I'd probably go for that. It's a deeper unit, though, so make sure it will fit in whatever furniture you have. (That was one reason I didn't wait for the RX-V1900 myself.)
post #553 of 1006 Old 03-02-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhoodCT View Post

You don't mention what you'll use as an HDTV tuner--just the HDTV itself, or also a cable box or DVR? Anyway, if you have just 4 video components, you can get by with the RX-V863, as long as only 3 require an HDMI connection. Otherwise go with the RX-V1900. It will also have a more flexible learning remote. The RX-V863 remote, while nice enough, requires entering preset codes for specific brand components. I don't see an Xbox 360 or Wii in the list of preset codes, so you'd have to use the remotes that came with those components, rather than the Yamaha RX-V863 remote. But for those two components, you'd probably do that anyway.

I have the RX-V863 myself, but since you can get the RX-V1900 for such a good price, I'd probably go for that. It's a deeper unit, though, so make sure it will fit in whatever furniture you have. (That was one reason I didn't wait for the RX-V1900 myself.)

Thanks - I am in Canada, so we have HD ternimals similar to Comcast, I believe.

That is my HDTV source, then of course the usual additional items, 360, blu ray, ect.

I'm starting to lean that way myself. Though I wonder if it is "overkill".
post #554 of 1006 Old 03-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Your instincts may be correct. It sounds like the RX-V863 will meet your needs, so unless you anticipate you will add yet another video component to your system, the RX-V1900 will probably be a bit of overkill. For instance, I'm guessing you will probably never use the second "Zone 2" remote that comes with the RX-V1900. In my own case I've considered whether I should have waited for the RX-V1900, but am satisfied with my decision to go with the RX-V863. In your case, if you can't think of any feature that you will actually use in the RX-V1900 over the RX-V863 (such as an extra HD video input), it would be wasted money.
post #555 of 1006 Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Well apparently the HDMI inputs on my 2-week old 863 are malfunctioning. I have tried to watch Sideways for about the last 4 hours tonight. The HDMI connection will just cut out in the middle of movie playback. Switching inputs will bring it back temporarily. I initially thought it was my Sony Blu-ray player but I am now convinced it's the Yamaha. Even tried swapping in a brand new HDMI cable which seemed to have fixed it for a bit. I think it's the Yamaha because when I try to bring up the receiver's menu via HDMI it will also cut out on the first try. On the second try it will actually come up and stay up. It worked on the first try when I first installed it.
post #556 of 1006 Old 03-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am having problems setting up 6.1. I can't get the adjustment off NONE for the rear single surround, I am pluged into the proper jack and the speaker plays. Any input. It is probably something simple I am overlooking. Thanks .

Quote:

I went over all my settings. All seem OK. But in the manual setting I go into speaker setup and when I get to the rear center I can't get it to adjust to small or large, I can't get it off NONE. Help please.

Well I figured it out I just reset the unit and did a complete setup.
post #557 of 1006 Old 03-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philspice1 View Post

Well apparently the HDMI inputs on my 2-week old 863 are malfunctioning. I have tried to watch Sideways for about the last 4 hours tonight. The HDMI connection will just cut out in the middle of movie playback. Switching inputs will bring it back temporarily. I initially thought it was my Sony Blu-ray player but I am now convinced it's the Yamaha. Even tried swapping in a brand new HDMI cable which seemed to have fixed it for a bit. I think it's the Yamaha because when I try to bring up the receiver's menu via HDMI it will also cut out on the first try. On the second try it will actually come up and stay up. It worked on the first try when I first installed it.

I have come across a few glitches with the communication between the remote and the receiver. Has anyone found a good HD antenna?? Also I may want a little more power, recommend a amp that would work well with this receiver.
post #558 of 1006 Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Liked: 22
Anyone have trouble with speakers not turning on immediately? Every time I turn the receiver for the first time, the left front channel doesn't turn on with it. It's as if it has to warm up before providing sound. I tried new speaker cable and didn't get any different results. Haven't swapped speakers to test because it would be a pain, but if that's what I need to do, so be it.
post #559 of 1006 Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

Anyone have trouble with speakers not turning on immediately? Every time I turn the receiver for the first time, the left front channel doesn't turn on with it. It's as if it has to warm up before providing sound. I tried new speaker cable and didn't get any different results. Haven't swapped speakers to test because it would be a pain, but if that's what I need to do, so be it.

I would try to test with another speaker, you could have a problem with your speaker. At least if it does the same thing you know the problem is the receiver. Thats my 2 cents.
post #560 of 1006 Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:

recommend a amp that would work well with this receiver.

I am trying to decide if I would like more power as well. I came across the Emotiva line of amps...very affordable....now which one? And will I really notice a diffrence? I am mainly looking for more power for music.....wanting a fuller sound field.
post #561 of 1006 Old 03-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Can somebody tell me what is the volume level of 50 on regular scale translated in dB on this receiver.
Thanks,
post #562 of 1006 Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp2 View Post

I am trying to decide if I would like more power as well. I came across the Emotiva line of amps...very affordable....now which one? And will I really notice a diffrence? I am mainly looking for more power for music.....wanting a fuller sound field.

I am going to take a look at these also. I too am looking for more power for music listening. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #563 of 1006 Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I am going to take a look at these also. I too am looking for more power for music listening. Thanks for the suggestion.

I added a Emotiva XPA-5 to my 663 with good results. I'm using a 5.1 setup and if I ever go to seven I'll probably run those off the receiver rather than add another amp for what little those speakers really do.

I have large speakers front and rear and listen to music in 7 channel so I figured it would be good to run the front and rear with an amp. I've also heard its good to match the power source on the front and center so thats how I ended up with a five channel amp vs two or three.
post #564 of 1006 Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
From my last post you see I'm a 663 owner. I'm over here to ask 863 owners about the upscaling your receiver does that mine doesn't.

I've got a SD sat box (Dish Network DVR625) with the best option for video is S video. I don't want to upgrade my receiver for now and the 480i output looks crappy on my Sony 52" 52W4200. I'm wondering if any of you are using the 863 to upscale a 480 sat receiver and what results you're getting from it.

I also wish my 663 had more HDMI inputs so its starting to look like the 863 might have been the model I should have went with!!

The new models are coming out but it doesn't look like they have S-video so I'm hoping I might be able to pick up a 863 for a good price if retailers start closing them out. I'm also considering getting the Emotiva UMC-1 pre/pro when it comes out but it isn't XM ready and even though the SQ isn't great on XM I like having it on when I'm not listening to closely.

But there is a point where I should just get a HD box from somebody and keep the 663, but my hold up is I'm out of contract with Dish and I'm dragging my feet choosing between Dish, Direct or local cable HD. I'm hoping the longer I wait the more HD channels each will have. It sounds like now a lot of the HD channels don't have a lot of true HD content. And again I could use more HDMI inputs but I guess a splitter would work too.

So my long winded question is would I gain anything going to the 863 when the one thing I'm looking for from it is the upscaling?
post #565 of 1006 Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

I added a Emotiva XPA-5 to my 663 with good results. I'm using a 5.1 setup and if I ever go to seven I'll probably run those off the receiver rather than add another amp for what little those speakers really do.

I have large speakers front and rear and listen to music in 7 channel so I figured it would be good to run the front and rear with an amp. I've also heard its good to match the power source on the front and center so thats how I ended up with a five channel amp vs two or three.

I also like the Emotiva XPA-5, I want to power my two large main and two other large speakers in another room. I am interested in this more for music listening.
post #566 of 1006 Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM

Any suggestions for how best to watch my PS3 or DVR without going thru my 863. (New Sharp LCD has good upscaling by itself) Been looking at HDMI switching/splitters, but not sure which is best or if this is even a good idea. Of course when watching HD movies or gaming I want to be able to use the 863 for 5.1 HT. (Pondering something with 4 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs)

Any and all advice or experiences welcome.
Thanks
post #567 of 1006 Old 03-13-2009, 05:30 AM

I would stay away from HDMI splitters unless there are no other options, or your needs are more complex than you described, such as having four hdmi input devices to be displayed on two different monitors. They just introduce compexity, expense and potential hdcp issues.

I would suggest running both the DVR and PS3 into the 663 with hdmi and then hdmi out to the TV. It just makes life so much easier. You don't mention what model of Sharp that you have, but they don't have that great of a reputation for being great upscalers.

Otherwise, just run HDMI to the TV and Digital Optical to the 663.
post #568 of 1006 Old 03-13-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the help.

Im trying to keep the display hookups minimal, but sounds like the 2 HDMIs to display (it has 3 hdmi inputs) and optical audio to the v863 route may be best. I won't lose any of my surround signal/data using optical, right?

I will only be using the 863 about 10% of the time the display is used (mostly for TV), so better not to have the 863 on for merely passing thru the signal to the display and its speakers. If it would even pass the audio thru on HDMI?

I will be using a new PS3, DISH HD 722 receiver/dvr and a Sharp LC65SE94U (100+ lbs). Im new to HDTV so the upscaling done by my other new Sharp LC42D85U seems quite good, for only having a std def signal going to it right now. It occurred to me that letting the 863 upscale the std def signal and send it to the Sharp may actually cause more problems, since I don't know how good a job it does upscaling.

Am I making all the correct assumptions here? Anyone?
post #569 of 1006 Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 AM

Does the #1 Subwoofer Pre-Out jack equal other receivers LFE output?
Is this the jack used to connect my sub for LFE input?
If LFE is for movies how do I get music quality signal to my sub?
Thanks for any advice.
post #570 of 1006 Old 03-14-2009, 03:42 PM

Newbie here! I have a question re my Yamaha RX-V863 receiver. I'm having a problem with the ZONE 2 outdoor speakers not working - the receiver says "Fixed" volume every time I try to increase the volume on the ZONE 2 speakers. This has not happened before and I haven't changed any settings on the receiver.

ZONE 1 (inside speakers) volume works fine. Had Best Buy install the home theater system and (not surprisingly) they don't have a clue as to what the problem could be - they said they had never heard of the "Fixed" volume on these receivers (even tho they sold it to me..).

So - very little volume coming thru on ZONE 2 speakers... This has never happened before with this rec'r. Can find nothing in the manual (that I can find) regarding this problem/setting. Nothing I try seems to remove this "Fixed" message....

Anyone have any knowledge of this "Fixed Volume" on Zone 2 setting??.. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks ~
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors