Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1006 Old 05-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post

I checked, and that is what I am set at. To activate the Zone 2 I would hit the Zone 2 button on the Receiver and that turns on the other speakers in Zone 2, but I have no volume control for Zone 2. When I hit my speaker A button to shut off my AV Room my rear surrounds still play with Zone 2. Thanks for any help.

John

Sorry BV I had my zone 2's hooked up when I first got my receiver about 3-4 months ago and unhooked them and have been playing with presence speakers since. My zone 2's are on my deck and I am about to give up on presence speakers...besides the weather is getting nice and I need the deck speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1006 Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp2 View Post

Sorry BV I had my zone 2's hooked up when I first got my receiver about 3-4 months ago and unhooked them and have been playing with presence speakers since. My zone 2's are on my deck and I am about to give up on presence speakers...besides the weather is getting nice and I need the deck speakers.

Let me know if you get the Zone 2 to work on your deck or if you go with speaker B setting. If I go with speaker B my other speakers work fine in the Living Room, but I can't use that setting for the Amp because there is not speaker B preout only Zone 2 output. I am going to play with it more, let me know if you come up with anything. Thanks.

John
post #633 of 1006 Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 AM

I just bought a RXV863. It has a date of 6 OCT 08 stamped inside the cover. I have searched here and the manual, but can't find any way to display the firmware version on the display or monitor. Is there a way to see the version?

Fussy Viewer
post #634 of 1006 Old 05-04-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fussy viewer View Post

I have searched here and the manual, but can't find any way to display the firmware version on the display or monitor. Is there a way to see the version?

Try this link from the 663 thread (there's a lot more info available for the 663, and almost all of it applies to the 863).
post #635 of 1006 Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 PM

I just picked up the 863 just over a week ago and after hooking up a Ps3, 360, wii, cable box and Popcorn hour, there have been a few things I have noticed.

I've currently got it on a 5.1 config as I search for 2 more speakers to make 7.1 but depending on what I'm doing the subwoofer will be off. (There is a little LED on the back that glows red when it's on). My dad was rather concerned but I figured when the source doesn't support the sub then the amp turns it off.

Is this correct or is the amp defective.

Also my father claims the cable box looked nicer when it was directly hooked to the tv as opposed to how it is now through the amp. The TV i've got is a 60" grand wega which only does 720p and 1080i and I've got the cable box running component and optical to receiver and hdmi to dvi to the tv. He also claims it sounds worse but I believe both are because we haven't figured out the right configuration.

We had a Yamaha RX-V750 as the last receiver doing just the 5.1 audio.
post #636 of 1006 Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chicken View Post

Also my father claims the cable box looked nicer when it was directly hooked to the tv as opposed to how it is now through the amp. The TV i've got is a 60" grand wega which only does 720p and 1080i and I've got the cable box running component and optical to receiver and hdmi to dvi to the tv.

What is your cable box? Does it have only component video out, or does it have DVI or HDMI?

Does the Wega have component video in, or only DVI (presumably it does not have HDMI from the description of your setup)?

How was it connected originally, when "it was directly hooked to the TV"? Were you using component video from cable box to the TV, or were you using DVI from the cable box to DVI of the TV, or were you using HDMI from the cable box through a conversion cable to DVI of the TV?

If the cable box has HDMI out, why not go to the HDMI in of the 863 and then HDMI-to-DVI out of the 863 to the TV?

If you were previously going component video from the cable box to component video of the TV, why aren't you doing the same thing now (but with the 863 in the middle)?

Need more specifics on your cable box and its available outputs, and the TV and its available inputs, and exactly what you were doing before the 863 arrived to connect cable box to TV.
post #637 of 1006 Old 05-07-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

What is your cable box? Does it have only component video out, or does it have DVI or HDMI?

Cable box is Scientific Atlantic Explorer 4250. It only has Composite, Component, and DVI out for video. Composite and Optical for audio. No HDMI.

Quote:

Does the Wega have component video in, or only DVI (presumably it does not have HDMI from the description of your setup)?

Has both 2 Component, 1 DVI, no HDMI.

Quote:

How was it connected originally, when "it was directly hooked to the TV"? Were you using component video from cable box to the TV, or were you using DVI from the cable box to DVI of the TV, or were you using HDMI from the cable box through a conversion cable to DVI of the TV?

Originally it was cable box Component to component on TV, Cable box's composite Red/White to receiver for sound. Now it's cable box's Component and Optical to receiver, receiver's Hdmi to tv's dvi picture. DVI on the box was never used. I tried it once and it didn't work but I think I was using the wrong DVI cable.

Quote:

If the cable box has HDMI out, why not go to the HDMI in of the 863 and then HDMI-to-DVI out of the 863 to the TV?

No HDMI or I would. DVI see above. Leaves only Component.

Quote:

If you were previously going component video from the cable box to component video of the TV, why aren't you doing the same thing now (but with the 863 in the middle)?

I am doing that now with the 863 in the middle.

Quote:

Need more specifics on your cable box and its available outputs, and the TV and its available inputs, and exactly what you were doing before the 863 arrived to connect cable box to TV.

See all of the above. Thanks in advance.
post #638 of 1006 Old 05-07-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Chicken View Post

Cable box is Scientific Atlantic Explorer 4250. It only has Composite, Component, and DVI out for video. Composite and Optical for audio. No HDMI.

Wega has both 2 Component, 1 DVI, no HDMI.

Originally it was cable box Component to component on TV, Cable box's composite Red/White to receiver for sound. Now it's cable box's Component and Optical to receiver, receiver's Hdmi to tv's dvi picture. DVI on the box was never used. I tried it once and it didn't work but I think I was using the wrong DVI cable.

Except that from what you also say I believe you've now gone back to all-component video, from box to receiver and then on to TV. Right?

Talking solely about video here, I'm not sure I can imagine what "the wrong DVI cable" could have been. If the box has DVI out and the TV has DVI in, what other than a pure DVI-to-DVI cable could have been used?

Anyway, if you previously had a fine/better picture previously using all-component video from box to TV (according to your father's subjective observations) I'd certainly say that there's no reason to change anything now just because you have a new receiver to support source switching and multi-channel audio.

Unless you're going to go all-DVI (using a DVI-to-HDMI cable from the box to 863, since the 863 doesn't have DVI) and then HDMI-to-DVI cable from the 863 to the TV, I don't see any purpose to involving a conversion in the 863 from component video in (from the box) to HDMI-to-DVI out (to the TV from the 863).

Although I'd probably want to see by actual comparison if there was any difference or degradation from the two different approaches. Since your TV supports it, and since the 863 can easily be changed (with "manual setup") to handle either type of input, with the availability of a few additional cables (not necessarily cheap, but if you have them you can use them) you could try it out for yourself.

Connect the box to the 863 using BOTH (a) component video and (b) DVI-to-HDMI. And connect the 863 to the TV using BOTH (a) component video and (b) HDMI-to-DVI.

Now you can use "manual setup" on the 863 to switch between the two inputs, which are going to automatically be fed out through both component video and HDMI (i.e. to DVI, to your TV).

Also, you can use the TV to switch between the two inputs coming from the 863... either component video or DVI.

And pick a good stationary image source (some scene that has good edges, color, brightness, contrast, etc., but is also quite still, like something from the Leno show or NBC news) and switch things back and forth for comparison with your own eyes (and your father's).

Personally, my intuition would lead me to guess that the DVI-based path between box and TV through the 863 would be possibly slightly superior than the all-component video path. But it might not be noticeable, nor might it be worth the cost of new cables. However I believe DVI is the only way you can get "dot-by-dot" (i.e. zero overscan) from the set (if available), if that's important to your viewing.

Anyway, if your now in-place all component video arrangement is now satisfactory that's really what matters. But it would just take two of the right DVI-to-HDMI cables to really perform the scientific experiment.
post #639 of 1006 Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 PM

I think I used a DVI-A instead of DVI-D cable or something to that nature, I can't remember it was too long ago. As for the receiver out I only have HDMI no component cable.
post #640 of 1006 Old 05-16-2009, 05:07 AM
IFW

Hi,

Bought my AX863SE when it came out - and found the problem about BTB and WTW level clipping, but otherwise happy.

So it seems there is a firmware upgrade named VX63_TiData1_ver4_7rE057 and it may fix the range limit issue.

My questions - here as Yamaha customer support is apparently technically useless:
1, Will this update work with an UK AX863SE?
2, Does it solve the BTB/WTW issue?

Thanks

Edit: is it supposed to be working at all with 863 amps or is it only for 663?
post #641 of 1006 Old 05-16-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

The same firmware works for all versions of the 663 and 863. There is no fix for the BTB/WTW issue, but there could still be other useful fixes if your firmware is very old. Instructions for checking your firmware version are here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14326605.
post #642 of 1006 Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 AM
IFW

Thanks for the useful reply
post #643 of 1006 Old 05-17-2009, 12:22 PM

Just wanted to check on my Samsung 1500 audio settings with the Yamaha 863. I have a high quality HDMI cable hooked up between the units. I set the Samsung 1500's audio settings to Bitstream "audiophile" and turned off the decode/compression. This seems to work the best with the 863 and it display the correct encoding that matches the BluRay disk playing, etc. I thought I had a problem because when playing the Blue Ray WAL-E and the movie first starts the DTS Master Audio HD kicks in and the receiver will flicker between Pro logic and DTS Master for about 10-15 seconds with a jittery sound. After this it sounds OK for the rest of the movie. It does it exactly the same everytime which makes me think there may be something wrong with the BluRay disc itself. Last night I purchased another BlueRay disk that had 5.1 DTS Master audio and it did "NOT" do this. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with WAL-E or any other BluRay with DTS Master Audio? If I set the bistream to PCM on the Samsung it will play WAL-E without this at the beginning but of course it's been downgraded to standard DTS. I'm curious to see if this is the Yamaha, Samsung, or BluRay disc problem.
post #644 of 1006 Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Hello,

Looking to buy this receiver for 600 CAD from big box retailer. Model HTR-6180. Is this a good deal?

Would be using with Java Networked PS3, Digital Cable and PC, though the PC is connected via RGB directy to the tv at the moment with audio being done through the receiver. Perhaps could use HDMI for computer video/audio in the future. Hoping this will be a good investment at the price.

I'm running the following setup currently with the Yamaha 6140.
Front LR - RF 35's
Center - RC-52
Rear Surrounds - RS-10's
Rear Backs - RB-10's (if I get the receiver)
Sub1 - Jamo 8"
Sub2 - Yamaha 10" (if I get this receiver)
post #645 of 1006 Old 05-27-2009, 05:01 AM

i too am lookin at this reciever but after going through the 22 pages.. im seen lots of people having trouble gettin it to work with there computers through dvi - to hdmi.. but i think through coax for audio and hdmi or running a svideo for the video.. migght bypass this issue...?
post #646 of 1006 Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questorz View Post

Just wanted to check on my Samsung 1500 audio settings with the Yamaha 863. I have a high quality HDMI cable hooked up between the units. I set the Samsung 1500's audio settings to Bitstream "audiophile" and turned off the decode/compression. This seems to work the best with the 863 and it display the correct encoding that matches the BluRay disk playing, etc. I thought I had a problem because when playing the Blue Ray WAL-E and the movie first starts the DTS Master Audio HD kicks in and the receiver will flicker between Pro logic and DTS Master for about 10-15 seconds with a jittery sound. After this it sounds OK for the rest of the movie. It does it exactly the same everytime which makes me think there may be something wrong with the BluRay disc itself. Last night I purchased another BlueRay disk that had 5.1 DTS Master audio and it did "NOT" do this. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with WAL-E or any other BluRay with DTS Master Audio? If I set the bistream to PCM on the Samsung it will play WAL-E without this at the beginning but of course it's been downgraded to standard DTS. I'm curious to see if this is the Yamaha, Samsung, or BluRay disc problem.

Check with Samsung to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your 1500. Some movies including Wall-E and Twilight are causing problems for Blu-ray players. Many Blu-ray players require updates to fix these compatibility issues.
post #647 of 1006 Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questorz View Post

Please tell me you didn't spend more then $5 on your 'high quality HDMI cable'.
post #648 of 1006 Old 06-06-2009, 03:40 PM

I just hooked this receiver up and it sounds great! One problem I am having though. When I press Pure Direct, the blue light lights up and the display goes blank. I still receive the audio, but no video. What am I doing wrong so I can get the picture back? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #649 of 1006 Old 06-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsantanni View Post

I just hooked this receiver up and it sounds great! One problem I am having though. When I press Pure Direct, the blue light lights up and the display goes blank. I still receive the audio, but no video. What am I doing wrong so I can get the picture back? Thanks

This is entirely normal. Pure Direct (page 52) turns OFF ALL unecessary circuits and directs all power to your 2 fronts. No display window, no video. no subwoofer. no extra anything. Just pure stereo with no other interference! This mode is for real purists and will clean the wax out of your ears IF you have a pair of high quality fronts. My big Klipsch F-3's will get my neighbors attention and make the cats very nervous!

Also try the STRAIGHT mode page 51.

HERB

We all grow too soon old and too late smart!
post #650 of 1006 Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 AM

Hi,

I was showing a friend my system yesterday and encountered a strange problem...
I had Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" concert DVD on my Sony Blu-Ray and while the display on the Yamaha showed DTS when I toggled the display to show decoder, the audio sounded all wrong and there was obvious missing guitars in the sounds played, when I switched over to the enhanced 7 channel mode, the missing parts were being played. The "DTS only" bonus track of " Seven Bridges Road" sounded like crap and almost in a different key with missing instruments.

So, I put the Eagles Farewell Tour: Live From Melbourne on my HDDVD player to see what would happen. Yamaha shows "DTS" on the decoder, but the sound was messed up in the same fashion, switching to another mode the missing sounds were back...

I unplugged the receiver and turned it back on to see if that would help, but the same problems exist.

I have done nothing to the system since I set it up and the DTS worked fine with these disks on both players.

Any clues with what could be going on?

Thanks,
Jim

Yamaha RX-V863
Fronts: Polk RTi-6
Center: Polk CSi-3
Rears: Polk FXi-3
Sub: Polk PSW10
Toshiba HD-A35 DVD
Sony BDP-S350 Blu-Ray
post #651 of 1006 Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys I just picked up a V863 yesterday and I will be installing it in the media room today.

I have a quick question regarding this receiver and the PS3. Should I set the output on the PS3 to bitstream or PCM? My old Denon AVR-5600DTS couldn't play some of the new audio formats so I ended up going back and forth between the settings depending on the audio format on the movie.

By the way if your planning to purchase the V863 take a look at your local great indoors if you have one. I dropped by yesterday on pure accident and found that the electronics department is closing. I snagged this unit on clearance for about 75% off from 999 list price!

Thanks
post #652 of 1006 Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 AM

Ok I went back far enough in this thread and I think I found my answer.
post #653 of 1006 Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 AM

Well I got everything hooked up last night and I have another question regarding the upscaling.

I've read the documentation a couple of times and it appears that the pass through or upscale can either be turned on for everything or turned off. Am I missing something? I was looking for the ability to enable/disable this feature per input. Is this possible?
post #654 of 1006 Old 06-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy77433 View Post

Hi,

I was showing a friend my system yesterday and encountered a strange problem...
I had Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" concert DVD on my Sony Blu-Ray and while the display on the Yamaha showed DTS when I toggled the display to show decoder, the audio sounded all wrong and there was obvious missing guitars in the sounds played, when I switched over to the enhanced 7 channel mode, the missing parts were being played. The "DTS only" bonus track of " Seven Bridges Road" sounded like crap and almost in a different key with missing instruments.

So, I put the Eagles Farewell Tour: Live From Melbourne on my HDDVD player to see what would happen. Yamaha shows "DTS" on the decoder, but the sound was messed up in the same fashion, switching to another mode the missing sounds were back...

I unplugged the receiver and turned it back on to see if that would help, but the same problems exist.

I have done nothing to the system since I set it up and the DTS worked fine with these disks on both players.

Any clues with what could be going on?

Thanks,
Jim

Yamaha RX-V863
Fronts: Polk RTi-6
Center: Polk CSi-3
Rears: Polk FXi-3
Sub: Polk PSW10
Toshiba HD-A35 DVD
Sony BDP-S350 Blu-Ray

Something for you try???????
Read page 86 to 98 in the manual. See page 95.
Go into manual setup>menu 4, input menu >source
Find your source (probably G DVD)
Change the decoder mode from auto to DTS
Don't forget to change it back so the DD will work
I hope this works for you, PLease let us know when you find out.
HERB

post #655 of 1006 Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3watts3 View Post

Well I got everything hooked up last night and I have another question regarding the upscaling.

I've read the documentation a couple of times and it appears that the pass through or upscale can either be turned on for everything or turned off. Am I missing something? I was looking for the ability to enable/disable this feature per input. Is this possible?

That is correct,what is it that you want to upscale? This switch has no effect on anything unless you are actually using it. Leave it turned off untill you actually need to use it. I have an old ProScan VCR connected to the composite video. I had given it to a friend. After reading the manual, I went back and took it away from him just to see if it would work. This upconversion stuff is amazing to me. It is amazing that this thing will take composite, S video, and component and output them over HDMI.
Be carefull trying to upscale the resolutions though. you will just introduce a lot of video distortions.
HERB

post #656 of 1006 Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histep View Post

That is correct,what is it that you want to upscale? This switch has no effect on anything unless you are actually using it. Leave it turned off untill you actually need to use it. I have an old ProScan VCR connected to the composite video. I had given it to a friend. After reading the manual, I went back and took it away from him just to see if it would work. This upconversion stuff is amazing to me. It is amazing that this thing will take composite, S video, and component and output them over HDMI.
Be carefull trying to upscale the resolutions though. you will just introduce a lot of video distortions.
HERB

I have an old VCR as well and my wife wants to use some of her childhood tapes for our 15 month old (old cartoons and such). I have it turned off on the receiver and will leave it that way since the PS3 can upscale if needed and in the end my Panny 3000 FP upscales as well. I just glad I have an answer so I can stop wasting time looking for the option.

Thanks!
post #657 of 1006 Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 PM

I just bought this receiver and saw that there was a update for the 863 I emailed Yamaha Customer Support and this is what they said.

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Yamaha product.

At this point there has not been an update released for this model.

If you have any further questions and/or concerns please contact us at 1-800-292-2982, wait for the prompts, and select option 7. We are available Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm Pacific Time.

You can also contact our 24 hour 7 days a week customer support center. They can be reached at 1-866-866-4616. Thank you again and have a wonderful day.

Best Regards,
The Yamaha Customer Support Team
P.S. Please do not remove the " [ref: " in the Email Subject when replying to this email.

post #658 of 1006 Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 PM

Where did you see a firmware update for the v863?
post #659 of 1006 Old 06-15-2009, 01:48 PM

I've been curious as well about an 863 update, but I haven't found anything.

My question is, I'm ordering this receiver shortly. I'm getting a great deal on this through yamaha and I'm looking at some great deals through klipsch. I'm pretty set on getting the Quintet SL package with the Sub-12.

Question is: Am I going to blow a speaker with this receiver? I know the specs on the receiver are much higher than the speaker's rms. Does anyone know how well these speakers will handle the receiver? Thanx.

Nevin
post #660 of 1006 Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3watts3 View Post

Where did you see a firmware update for the v863?

The 863 uses the same firmware as the 663. See this link for details of the 663 firmware: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14326605.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page