Official Yamaha RX-V863 thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1004 Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered this receiver and I was wondering if I can use an HDMI wire from my blu-ray player to the reciever, but then use component out for video? I'm guessing you can't do this but if someone could confirm that would be great.

I just have been lazy, I need to run a long HDMI wire through the walls and ceiling to my projector. So I was wondering what my options are until I do that. Thanks!

"But this is HDTV! It's got better resolution than the real world!"
-Phillip J. Fry (Futurama)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1004 Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
According to the Video Signal Flow diagram on page 18 of the manual, HDMI --> Component is not possible.

With the Video Conversion option ON; composite, S-video and component can be output on HDMI but the opposite is not shown. Here is a quote from that page:

"Digital video signals input at one of the HDMI IN jacks cannot
be output from analog video output jacks."
post #813 of 1004 Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Iam only getting stereo LR out of my amp when playing Blue Ray on my PS3. I have an HDMI splitter from the PS3 to the TV and the RX-V863. I have the PS3 output set to DD 5.1 but still no center or rear speakers. Im running on 'Enhanced 7.1' for now.

Is there a display on the amp that says what signal is being received or output?

Any suggestions on setting up the PS3 and/or amp appreciated.
post #814 of 1004 Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveJoe View Post

Is there a display on the amp that says what signal is being received or output?

On the right side of the display panel, there is a collection of small boxes, arrayed so as to represent the signal being input from the source (i.e. from your PS3).

If you only see two boxes, that's 2-channel stereo input. If you see 5 boxes, arranged like L/C/R/LS/RS around a central listener, that's 5.1 input. 7 boxes, that's 7.1.

Incidentally, there is a "straight" button on the remote that simply passes through whatever comes in to the output (amp, speakers) with no processing of any kind by the receiver. So if you push that button, and your input display shows 5 or 7 boxes, you should be hearing sound from those 5 or 7 speakers.

Now as far as using an HDMI splitter... well if your TV can't receive 5.1, maybe your PS3 is shutting down its audio to 2-channel stereo which is acceptable to the TV. And the splitter is feeding the same 2-channel stereo signal to the receiver.

How about experimenting by disconnecting the TV, just running BluRay from PS3 to the receiver, and look at the "input signal" boxes on the right side of the display. If you now see all 5 boxes then you know it's the HDMI splitter and the connection of your TV that is causing the PS3 to drop down from 5.1 to 2-channel stereo.

Why don't you just go straight from PS3 to the receiver via HDMI, and then receiver to TV via HDMI? That's what the receiver is for... to act as an HDMI switch. That way you can have other HD sources (e.g. your DVR from sat/cable) feeding the receiver via HDMI, and the receiver then feeds the TV via HDMI from whatever source you'd selected.

Why use an HDMI splitter from the PS3??
post #815 of 1004 Old 01-13-2010, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveJoe View Post

Iam only getting stereo LR out of my amp when playing Blue Ray on my PS3. I have an HDMI splitter from the PS3 to the TV and the RX-V863.

I'm pretty sure the splitter is the problem. But when you do a test without the splitter, you'll probably have to go into Sound Settings on the PS3 and let it detect all the audio formats supported by the receiver. Right now the PS3 may only have the two channel formats enabled.
post #816 of 1004 Old 01-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Well the splitter was the problem. Originally had just the TV hooked to the PS3 so the PS3 setup for 2 ch sound. I disconnected the TV HDMI from the splitter and ran it to the amp. Left all other splitter connections alone. Went thru the Sound Settings on the PS3 again with the amp on. The Sounds Settings had changed from 2 ch to nearly every multi channel option offered 5 and 7 ch. Played a BlueRay DVD and all 5 outputs showed on the display, and rear speakers worked right.

The reason I used a splitter was to feed the PS3 signal to the TV so I could use it (gaming etc) w/o the amp on. I would still like to do this. Is there a viable way to accomplish this goal?

I have my DISH 722K DVR setup the same way and can't seem to get DD 5.1 to work either, on rented movies. Any suggestions for that problem?

Really appreciate the help guys. It's not easy for us older fellas to keep up with the new technology. When I got my first car "reverb" was a big deal with our stereos. Damn Im old! *LOL*

Testing update: Ran 722K HDMI out direct to amp then on to the TV. 5.1 channel audio now active. Still need a way to watch TV in HD and stereo with amp off.
I really like my RX-V863 now....thanks to you
post #817 of 1004 Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 AM

What do you think about this idea?

Use an audio output from a PS3 or DVR that does not do a handshake with the Amp. Send that audio along with Component video to the TV for normal 2ch viewing. Send HDMI to the amp then on to the TV for Surround viewing.

Can anyone tell me which audio outputs other than HDMI usually handshake causing my dilemma? (i.e. Optical, Coaxial, Stereo?) If I can work around the handshaking issue my problem should be solved.
post #818 of 1004 Old 01-14-2010, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Only HDMI causes the kind of problem you saw, BUT... many devices will not have active component and HDMI outputs at the same time. With the DVR if you're lucky it will work. But with the PS3 you'll have to go into the menu each time you want to switch between HDMI and component/optical output. And you won't be able to see the menu to switch to component out until you first power up the receiver to see the image through HDMI! So not a great solution for the PS3.
post #819 of 1004 Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 AM

UPDATE -

5.1 problem solved with a digital optical cable run to the AMP from the DISH 722K. Still have the HDMI cable run to the TV from the 722K for everyday viewing. Both active at same time on DISH receiver. When I want 5.1, I just turn on the AMP and drop volume on the TV.

I can live with the PS3 + AMP issue, as I rarely use it except for Blu-Ray viewing. Ran PS3 HDMI directly to AMP and then on to TV.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
post #820 of 1004 Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 PM

I actually can not get the DVR functions to work in my Scientific Atlantic 8300HD using the 863's remote. Can anyone help?
post #821 of 1004 Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 AM

Liked: 12
I was running YPAO over the weekend to calibrate a new center speaker and got to wondering about how YPAO affects reference level sound. The YPAO process increases the sound level up to a certain amount. Does that set the level, Or is it completely unrelated?

And on a related note, what parametric equalizer type do you set? I left it at the refault "Natural." But reading the descriptions, I think I should have used "Front", since my LCR speakers are much better than the surrounds.

Any other suggestions for using YPAO?
post #822 of 1004 Old 01-24-2010, 07:33 PM

Has anyone had trouble with distortion on this receiver? I've been catching occassional distortion from all of my sources since upgrading to this receiver. I was thinking that it may have been my amp, but I removed the amp tonight and tried to run my speakers off of the internal amp and still could clearly hear the distortion. This is not from playing the volumes high, either, this is just moderate volume listening. I am noticing a lot of scratchiness that is especially audible in certain loud dialog in movies / TV.

Anyone have this problem? Any ideas?
post #823 of 1004 Old 01-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo70433 View Post

Any other suggestions for using YPAO?

Bump: Anybody gotten into the technical aspects of YPAO?
post #824 of 1004 Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 AM

I just got my RX-V863 and hooked everything up. I have a question:

I installed my DirecTV DVR and my Panasonic DMP-BD10AK blu-ray player using HDMI out to the receiver and then HDMI out to my Sharp XV-Z10000U projector which only has DVI input so I bought an HDMI->DVI adapter and hooked it up. I get video and audio with no problems with my DirecTV box, but I get no video when I switch to blu-ray. Audio comes out fine, but I get "No Signal" on my DVI input. Any ideas?

If I hook up the blu-ray player directly to the projector via HDMI, I get a picture but it is at a lower resolution and of course I get no audio since the receiver is out of the picture.

post #825 of 1004 Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Are the DVR and Blu-Ray player putting out the same resolution? Is the '863 set to simply pass through video, or does it upscale one of them?

Page 46 of the manual shows how to display the input source information. What do the two inputs say?

What HDMI level do the two sources support? You might be having an HDMI handshake problem since the ultimate destination of the video isn't HDMI.

Page 99, Notes, "If this unit cannot detect the available video signal resolution(s)..." might offer something to check.

Sorry I can't offer the exact answer. But I hope this gives you some things to work with. Let us know what you find, one way or another.
post #826 of 1004 Old 01-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Thanks, the HDMI SIGNAL shows HDMI -> DVI
The HDMI RES says 1080p -> 1080p

I followed the instructions you mentioned and set the MON.CHK to Skip. I then set HDMI RES to 1080i. After making that switch I went back to the signal and HDMI RES still read 1080p -> 1080p and I still get no signal.

Back to the drawing board...

post #827 of 1004 Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 AM

Hi all,
I have a question regarding Bi-Amping and maintaining the "7.1" setting.

Here's my question/problem, I wanted to Bi-Amp my fronts Polk Audio Monitor 70's. In order to do, i need to connect the Rear Surrounds to the front speakers and enable Bi-Amp on the receiver. Since the rear surrounds are being used to bi-amp the fronts, where am I going get the new " Rear Surrounds " from?
post #828 of 1004 Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Scanning the manual, it looks to me like you can't use the bi-amp feature and have 7.1. You could have both by using the main fronts' preamp output, and two external amps. But that is a lot of extra hardware. Still, if you have extra gear... I'm driving my un-powered subs with an old Yamaha AVR fed from the sub pre-outs.
post #829 of 1004 Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 PM

iPod question

When I put my ipod on the dock I have severe loss of bass, any ideas. I get bass from my subs but not nearly as much as I should. Hate to change the EQ everytime I wanna listen to it but it might be the only answer.
post #830 of 1004 Old 02-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

A couple questions:

Other than the extra HDMI input and slightly higher power, any significant differences between the 663 and 863? My primary use is HDTV and BluRay or DVD videos. I would use either in 5.1 mode.

Any disadvantage to getting a new 863/663 which are essentially 2 years old now vs a current model Denon or Pioneer in the same price range?
post #831 of 1004 Old 02-06-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernd View Post

When I put my ipod on the dock I have severe loss of bass, any ideas. I get bass from my subs but not nearly as much as I should.

Loss of bass compared to what? Do you mean compared to playing the same music from a CD through the 863, or compared to listening to the iPod directly via headphones?
post #832 of 1004 Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post

A couple questions:

Other than the extra HDMI input and slightly higher power, any significant differences between the 663 and 863? My primary use is HDTV and BluRay or DVD videos. I would use either in 5.1 mode.

Any disadvantage to getting a new 863/663 which are essentially 2 years old now vs a current model Denon or Pioneer in the same price range?

anyone with a answer to this, i'm in the same boat.
denon 1910 new
yamaha v863 new (2 years old), cost less
post #833 of 1004 Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's an idea. Go to the Yamaha web site (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/avreceiver...&CNTYP=PRODUCT), check the boxes for the 663 and 863 and click the COMPARE button. Duh!
post #834 of 1004 Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Here's an idea. Go to the Yamaha web site (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/avreceiver...&CNTYP=PRODUCT), check the boxes for the 663 and 863 and click the COMPARE button. Duh!

You are indeed very clever. Can we do that with all the, before E except after C. It's recEIver, damn it - not reciver, not reciever, not...

dam, we don't need this site to help about a/v.... before E except after C. It's recEIver, damn it - not reciver, not reciever, not...

Sometimes, someone (me) don't know what features to look for. but you do. so the questions are asked
post #835 of 1004 Old 02-10-2010, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

^^...and I supplied a place for one to get answers, even included a link to help the process along.
post #836 of 1004 Old 02-13-2010, 02:15 AM

Hi Guys, ladies?
I have the 863 and am impressed for 18 months already.
However I have a question.
I am using orb speakers for left right surround and left right back. I use 2 orbs together for center and two Kef IQ 9's for left and right channels.

OK. the question, would it be worth buying two more Orbs for the ambient channels? Is anyone using these ambient channels and how does it sound?
Does it add to the enjoyment or is it a waste of time. I do not want to use these channnels for an alternative zone but as they are there I kinda think its a pity not to utilize them if it adds to the overall experience.

looking forward to some input
post #837 of 1004 Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post

A couple questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvddud View Post

anyone with a answer to this, i'm in the same boat.
denon 1910 new
yamaha v863 new (2 years old), cost less

I just recently went through the process of deciding between the RX-V863 and the RX-v663. Ultimately, I ordered the 863 and I am waiting for it to arrive.

One of the significant differences (which you mentioned) is that the 863 has an additional HDMI output. Two other significant differences for me are the HD Radio tuner and phono input on the 863. I still have my vinyl albums along with a classic Dual turntable, and the 863 was the least expense AVR that I found that had a phone input.

The two downsides for me were three HDMI inputs (as compared to 4 on most current models) and I think the unit has to be turned on to pass the HDMI input to the TV. Except for these two issues, a current model in any of the top brands would have cost me a couple hundred more for basically the same or less features.

I was not able to find any reviews on how the audio of the 863 and the 663 compared. Most of the comments about the audio was favorable for both. I am wondering if the 863 may have a better amp since it has a little more power and the phono input indicates it geared to the audiophile market.

The Yamaha comparision chart was helpful, but it does not list the phono input availability nor does it mention the AC outlets on the back of the unit. The AC outlets have been removed from the new replacement models.

One thing that was helpful to me was to go to the Yamaha site and display two windows containing the images of the back panels of both receivers. That way I was able to compare the input and output differences.

Edit Addition:

Here are some links to RX-V863 and V663 spec sheets.

V863 http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/produc.../RXV863NPB.pdf
V863 http://www.diamondcase.com/Manuals_P...aha/RXV863.pdf (US Model?? Different pub. Number)

V663 http://www.diamondcase.com/Manuals_P...aha/RXV663.pdf (US Model??)
(Second page loads first. First pg loaded after scrolling down to the end.)

I do not know what countries these spec sheets represent.

As a reminder, the RX-V863 is also marketed as the HTR-6180 and the RX-V663 is also marketed as the HTR-6160 in the USA.
post #838 of 1004 Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 PM

urgent help required:
I am based in India and have imported a US model 863. Yamaha has rated its power at 400w. Can I use a 500w step down transformer for it? I hope 400w is the max power consumption of the Yamaha.
Please help asap as I have to buy the transformer by today.
post #839 of 1004 Old 02-18-2010, 02:07 AM

you will be fine at lower volumes but I would suggest a bigger reserve of power. 400 watts of operational power is described by Yamaha. If you are using self powered subwoofer then its a little easier on your amp. Using large speakers where base will suck energy your transformer needs to be able to deliver peaks at high speed or you will have issues. I would be concerned that the amp is trying to give what it cannot get. I would suggest 1000w. Price wise its pennies as the transformer itself is almost identical.
Others may have more experience.
post #840 of 1004 Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Hello everyone!
I’ve been following this forum for a while but this is my first post.
I got mine rx-v863 about four weeks ago and I am really enjoying it. But there is one thing about it, which bothering me quite a bit.
When listening to the music source, which is most noticeable, the right front and right surround speakers sound a little louder with more defined bass than the opposite left side (front and rear). All speaker levels adjusted equally in the receiver. I tried to swap them around but it didn’t change anything. I even tried to turn off the EQ in the sound menu, thinking that perhaps the YPOA set equalization unevenly.
I wonder if anybody experienced this kind of problem, or has any ideas in this regard.
Your response greatly appreciated.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page